Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Storm of the dead (Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  14:52:44  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Vhaeraun resurrected? No, give me Mask instead of him any other day. He'd stop them males trying to overthrow the females to set the "natural order straight" (one of the most silliest remarks they tend to use) and let them work on something useful.

I think it depends on who's writing him. I don't recall the Vhaeruanites being nearly so anti female in "Daughter of the Drow" or "Condemnation." And certianly the members of the Jezered Chausslin (all Vhaeruanite) did not display a balatent anti-female streak in WotSQ. More anti Lolth though... I think my primary objection is the paring down of the drow patheon. Besides, why not have both Mask and Vhaeruan?

Need to get more paper, but on #428.

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  15:00:00  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

Vhaeraun does not entirely overthrow the female Drow. He does have female agents and he even has a Chosen among the females. I mentioned this before and has yet to be acknowledged. Shakti Hunzrin is a Traitor Priestess and a Chosen of Vhaeraun.

I mentioned before that this chap - for all his gender equallity stanza in his dogma does and wants just one thing: down with the matriarchy and male priests of his ruling the society. End of story. You named probably the only Masked Traitor around these days, as 99% of his clergy (not followers) is male and as his clergy does not count thousands of members and masked traitors are few and far between anyways, you may count those females on one hand.
Chosen of Vhaeraun? That is your perception right? Or has anyone ever named her such? That is someone outside a novel.

The Jaezred Chaulssin is not exactly a drow city, nor one that actively pursues the dogma or aims of Vhaeraun. You can learn a lot of them from the web-enhancement of Dragons of Faerûn.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 04 Oct 2007 15:01:10
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  15:12:24  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message
I already have that WE and Xorthaul Barriath (Patron Father of the Jaezred Chaulssin) is a Priest of Vhaeraun. Perhaps you still have much to learn about Chaulssin and Vhaeraun and his followers.

Also, Shakti Hunzrin was in the 3 books with Liriel Baenre and while she was not 'officially' named a Chosen of Vhaeraun, she was described as a Chosen of Vhaeraun. My lore is accurate however, you are free to review the books and you will see that I am correct. Enjoy.
As for other Masked Traitors, I named one of possibly many that are in his service. I may not know their names, other than the one I have mentioned, but there are more than just one female that follows him.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber

Edited by - Drakul on 04 Oct 2007 16:29:18
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  16:27:49  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:

I already have that WE and Xorthaul Barriath (Patron Father of the Jaezred Chaulssin) is a Priest of Vhaeraun. Perhaps you still have much to learn about Chaulssin and Vhaeraun and his followers.

Also, Shakti Hunzrin was in the 3 books with Liriel Baenre and while she was not 'officially' named a Chosen of Vhaeraun, she was described as a Chosen of Vhaeraun. My lore is accurate however, you are free to review the books and you will see that I am correct. Enjoy.
As for other Masked Traitors, I named one of possibly many that are in his service. I may not know their names, other than the one I have mentioned, but there rae more than just one female that follows him.

Rest assured, if there is even a scribble on the FR drow in official print, me is the person who has read it. No boasting or the like, but I am afraid that the above is more wishful thinking than lore fact.
Of course, there ain't no priests of "Vhaeraun" any longer (or by the end of LP I) and any Masked Traitor that might be about has a hard time of it, as her spellcasting (darkfire et al) will be tainted with Eilistraee's moonfire. Not exactly what you want to do with a few Lolthites looking on, right?

As for Shakti, she's exactly what you would think of a Masked Traitor. Overly self confident, as she seems to have the choice between TWO gods. She may feel favoured, others may view it like that, but in essence she is just a traitor-priestess (is she really, well Lolth or Vhareran ahem Eilistraee will know).
But you are right, we do know more names of Masked Traitors (mostly from Menzoberranzan and very dead), which you can get from my NPC list ...

http://www.dnd-gate.de/gate3/page/index.php?id=420

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 04 Oct 2007 16:30:09
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  16:32:44  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message
It is/was lore fact that Xorthaul Barriath is/was a Priest of Vhaeraun. As it states such in the DoF WE. As for Vhaeraun's 'death', he had the entire thing planned. It was obvious in book 1, when he appeared on one side of the Sava board and set his piece there. Eilistraee saw this and knew he was up to something. So, Vhaeraun is not out of the game yet.

Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  17:50:26  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

quote:

Vhaeraun resurrected? No, give me Mask instead of him any other day. He'd stop them males trying to overthrow the females to set the "natural order straight" (one of the most silliest remarks they tend to use) and let them work on something useful.

I think it depends on who's writing him. I don't recall the Vhaeruanites being nearly so anti female in "Daughter of the Drow" or "Condemnation." And certianly the members of the Jezered Chausslin (all Vhaeruanite) did not display a balatent anti-female streak in WotSQ. More anti Lolth though... I think my primary objection is the paring down of the drow patheon. Besides, why not have both Mask and Vhaeruan?

To be devil's advocate for a moment, the "kamikaze" assassin in Extinction did seem to have something of an anti-female streak - though it's not really established that he's actually a member of the Jaezred Chaulssin. The Jaezred Chaulssin, as I recall, keep harems, so they're not exactly big on equality either (but then, if I recall aright the web enhancement that mentioned that also said they weren't particularly devout).

Personally, I think Vhaeraun's finest hour was his portrayal in Demihuman Deities - Men's Lib? Elven unity? Actually more gender-open clergy than his fluffy goodly twin? Sign me up! Outside of that... well. One example would be Nisstyre in Daughter of the Drow, who outright admitted to playing fast and loose with dogma as written (and had some kind of geas-thing on a cleric, to boot).
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  19:04:30  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TobyKikami

quote:

quote:

To be devil's advocate for a moment, the "kamikaze" assassin in Extinction did seem to have something of an anti-female streak - though it's not really established that he's actually a member of the Jaezred Chaulssin. The Jaezred Chaulssin, as I recall, keep harems, so they're not exactly big on equality either (but then, if I recall aright the web enhancement that mentioned that also said they weren't particularly devout).

Personally, I think Vhaeraun's finest hour was his portrayal in Demihuman Deities - Men's Lib? Elven unity? Actually more gender-open clergy than his fluffy goodly twin? Sign me up! Outside of that... well. One example would be Nisstyre in Daughter of the Drow, who outright admitted to playing fast and loose with dogma as written (and had some kind of geas-thing on a cleric, to boot).

If you are thinking about Nimor, he was The Annointed Blade of the Jaezred Chaulssin. So, yes, he was a member, but fell out of favor when he failed to destroy Menzoberranzan.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  20:36:15  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:

It is/was lore fact that Xorthaul Barriath is/was a Priest of Vhaeraun. As it states such in the DoF WE. As for Vhaeraun's 'death', he had the entire thing planned. It was obvious in book 1, when he appeared on one side of the Sava board and set his piece there. Eilistraee saw this and knew he was up to something. So, Vhaeraun is not out of the game yet.

There is no denial that Vhaeraun has his priests among the Jaezred Chaulssin (did I say so?), but that "House" was and is not a drow one, nor is it that devoted to the Masked Lord either. I wonder what happened to them after his demise.

Again, make sure that you mark "your theories" as such* and let them not appear as fact. It was, e.g., pretty clear in LP II that Lolth's window to the Astral showed Vhaeraun's body slashed up and floating, not the Dark Maiden's. In the end, there is a lot of hypothizing involved here, as all sorts of things can happen in LP III.

Yet, we should not stray too much off topic in here.

*E.g., "I tink ..." would do a world of good.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  21:29:04  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message
quote:

quote:

There is no denial that Vhaeraun has his priests among the Jaezred Chaulssin (did I say so?), but that "House" was and is not a drow one, nor is it that devoted to the Masked Lord either. I wonder what happened to them after his demise.

Again, make sure that you mark "your theories" as such* and let them not appear as fact. It was, e.g., pretty clear in LP II that Lolth's window to the Astral showed Vhaeraun's body slashed up and floating, not the Dark Maiden's. In the end, there is a lot of hypothizing involved here, as all sorts of things can happen in LP III.

Yet, we should not stray too much off topic in here.

*E.g., "I tink ..." would do a world of good.

Its funny how you think what I posted was a 'fact'. Anyone with common sense could easily see that Vhaeraun had something planned when he planted that Warrior piece on the Sava board. That is no 'theory'. It is a fact. Second, Eilistraee knew that he was up to something and did not reveal his 'intrusion' to their mother. Again, that is a fact. Third, just because Vhaeraun was 'defeated', does not mean that he is truly dead. I have made this assumption earlier on in this thread that he has this entire thing planned, and yet, I have to say it again. If you bothered to read through the entire topic, you will see that I have indeed made this assumption. So, please stop trying to sound all superior when you are far from it.

Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  22:31:51  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If you are thinking about Nimor, he was The Annointed Blade of the Jaezred Chaulssin. So, yes, he was a member, but fell out of favor when he failed to destroy Menzoberranzan.

I wasn't thinking about Nimor. There was some other guy, a much more minor character, who got caught sneaking into House Baenre and almost flambéd Triel with a delayed-action fireball. He apparently knew Nimor, but he may not have been a member of the organization proper. I definitely remember that one talking about Vhaeraun and the "natural order."
Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  22:43:02  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message
Let's be careful about making personal comments about our fellow scribes, alright? Discussing the book and various theories is great, but let's not start taking shots at each other, either directly or by implication.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  09:07:48  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
*Sigh* yes, Arkhaedun. Time to move on.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2007 :  04:44:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

And speaking of Masked Traitors - in the prologue Eilistraee moves a "Priestess" wearing Vhaeraun's mask. On first reading I got a bit excited thinking there was going to be one in the book, but she never materialized. Ah well. Chalk it up to piece nomenclature, especially since it started out as Mother-Daughter Sava Club.

I finished the book, and I think that "masked priestess" piece was supposed to represent Karas. Obviously, he's not a "priestess", but I guess there's only one gender on the Sava board.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2007 :  04:53:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Drow monk of Eilistraee? That sounds like an interesting character from the get go. Elven deities being normally chaotic and all... And I like the idea of a character being a work in progress even if they only end up in one story

Thank you. Yes, that particular drow of mine is rather...different from many other drow, but still retains certain drow habits (though not the malicious ones) from her time in the Underdark. I love the idea of someone being a "work in progress", because in a way that's what we all are...no one is perfect, and for a religious person that concept is likely to be all the more important (ie. always striving to live up to the ideals of one's faith).

quote:
Anyway, Cavatina's gripe as stated in SotW was something along the lines of "because she had been born to a cleric of Eilistraee, she would never feel the joy of coming into the light from the darkness." I know I'm paraphrasing some and so may have missed some of the nuances, but it seems like Cavatina envies that experience of her fellow priestesses from the Underdark and simulatneously blames the work of redemption for the death of her mother at a Nightshadow's hands. Sounds messed up to me.

I remember that bit you mentioned from the first book. And yes, Cavatina seemed skeptical of the concept of redemption, which is ironic, as her whole faith seems to be centered around it.

quote:
She might be "redeemed" from the supposed taint that Weondai left the drow, but I'll bet she's still a pain in the petunia to all the males she meets. And then there's another thing, he's a balor with levels in the "seducer" monster class. Would it be too much to hope that he was lying the entire time? *sigh*

Heh. After being "redeemed", she did seem a bit less haughty and arrogant than she was before. But of course, that takes effort--you don't change just because you've reassured yourself with a few words.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2007 :  04:59:34  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

And speaking of Masked Traitors - in the prologue Eilistraee moves a "Priestess" wearing Vhaeraun's mask. On first reading I got a bit excited thinking there was going to be one in the book, but she never materialized. Ah well. Chalk it up to piece nomenclature, especially since it started out as Mother-Daughter Sava Club.

I finished the book, and I think that "masked priestess" piece was supposed to represent Karas. Obviously, he's not a "priestess", but I guess there's only one gender on the Sava board.

Yep, guess so, especially since Eilistraee wouldn't have had any reason to stock "priest" pieces before this and Lolth probably threw out all of her spares when she was spring cleaning after 3rd Edition came out.

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
quote:
Anyway, Cavatina's gripe as stated in SotW was something along the lines of "because she had been born to a cleric of Eilistraee, she would never feel the joy of coming into the light from the darkness." I know I'm paraphrasing some and so may have missed some of the nuances, but it seems like Cavatina envies that experience of her fellow priestesses from the Underdark and simulatneously blames the work of redemption for the death of her mother at a Nightshadow's hands. Sounds messed up to me.

I remember that bit you mentioned from the first book. And yes, Cavatina seemed skeptical of the concept of redemption, which is ironic, as her whole faith seems to be centered around it.

quote:
She might be "redeemed" from the supposed taint that Weondai left the drow, but I'll bet she's still a pain in the petunia to all the males she meets. And then there's another thing, he's a balor with levels in the "seducer" monster class. Would it be too much to hope that he was lying the entire time? *sigh*

Heh. After being "redeemed", she did seem a bit less haughty and arrogant than she was before. But of course, that takes effort--you don't change just because you've reassured yourself with a few words.

Come to think of it, Cavatina is startled by Qilué's bloodthirstiness regarding the Kiaransaleens, and even asks if they aren't going to try redeeming them. I'm not sure how much their A) milling around all disoriented and pitiful, and B) being female (those mentioned, at any rate) figures in, but I'm probably being uncharitable.

Edited by - TobyKikami on 06 Oct 2007 05:07:38
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2007 :  06:13:58  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message
quote:
Come to think of it, Cavatina is startled by Qilué's bloodthirstiness regarding the Kiaransaleens, and even asks if they aren't going to try redeeming them. I'm not sure how much their A) milling around all disoriented and pitiful, and B) being female (those mentioned, at any rate) figures in, but I'm probably being uncharitable.

If memory serves (and sometimes it doesn't) a decent portion of the Revenancer's clerics are/were undead, correct? Most of the Seladrine doctorines frown upon undead as abominations, with exceptions made for baelnorns and gaurdian spirits. That might contribute to Qilue's discision as well.

For a small bit of semi-related levity:
And somewhere in the Outer planes, Zaknafein Do'Urden looks in on Toril and shouts in frustration, "What do you mean they declared open season on Lolth and didn't invite me?! @!$*^!

Still holding onto hope that the Masked lord comes back (yes, I know it probably won't happen). Crane #539

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2007 :  10:39:20  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
NB: Qilué herself asked for a necromancer to question certain folk in novel one, so they do not totally object to the use of necromancy.
And, BTW, the undead followers were already gone (for whatever reason) and we are speaking about the living Crones only.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2007 :  16:05:00  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message
Thank you much for the clarification ^.^

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  03:10:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
And, BTW, the undead followers were already gone (for whatever reason) and we are speaking about the living Crones only.

Yup. Although, there must have been other undead followers in existence besides just the ones in that temple, which again makes it a bit silly that this spell even worked (the novel didn't mention that the spell worked on undead, which are supposed to be immune to mind-affecting spells).

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  09:24:31  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
You see, as I pointed out before, this temple city (I wonder what the Kiaransaleens did there in these 40 years since they reclaimed the city) was home to the Banshee Knights, Kia's crusader order. The temple seemed not to be guarded by any sort of magic either (forbiddance et al), normal fighters or hexblades, the Crones were hardly using any spells, that main Kiaranshee none of her clerical powers etc.. By description, the spell would have no to near effect on any non-divine caster, of whom I think the Acropolis had a few, but I might err. By description, the spell would have had not that much effect on the divine casters either, at least not for the spells they already had in mind. By default, the deity would only had "vanished" after the followers had been slain. By ... ach well. Did I mention that Kia was not all about Undeath?

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Edited by - Zanan on 09 Oct 2007 13:42:38
Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  13:47:25  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message
Yeah... Q'arlynd was supposed to have been inspired by what Kiaransalee herself did to Orcus, but you'd think what he'd have taken away from that little tale was that the whole name-obliteration business is, er, not very efficacious (and, as I mentioned back on page 2, Orcus was already dead at the time and it still didn't work). But then in this book it (apparently) worked, so. Er.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  01:41:03  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
I think it's important to note that even in D&D, not everyone follows the rules strictly by guidelines. Call it fudging by Ao (The DM) or whatever you want to refer to it as. What matters is whether it works in the story or not.

Still, I've got to say that Kiranshlee and Selvertam both went out like punks. Hell, Vhaeraun went out like a punk too if he's genuinely dead.

When did gods become so easy to kill?

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  09:29:04  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps
When did gods become so easy to kill?

When the designers-in-chief decided to weed out pantheons galore for the sake of a new edition? It somehow leaves a feeling like 5th to 9th century Europe when the Christian missionaries started to run riot over all the religions of antiquity ... leaving us with virtually just one faith. And you know what happened? It took them about no-time to fall into factions and start killing each other for no better reason than to show which of their factions is better or the "right" one. And this sadly carries on right to this day ...
Give me Nemesis, Diana, Jupiter, Bellona, Isis or Woden any day of the week.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  16:12:11  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message
We've gone down a similar road recently all. Let's not make real world religious analogies if we can help it, at least in regards to how religion X waxed and waned. Its not a problem at the moment, but these things can change direction rapidly.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  17:27:48  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Yes, I somehow doubt that St. Thomas Aquinas cast high magic to kill Kiranshlee.

Though it would make history more awesome.

But yes, it undercuts the story because I don't BELIEVE Cal could pull off killing Sev in hand-to-hand.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  23:18:53  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Just stating facts, just facts ...

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  23:29:09  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:

Just stating facts, just facts ...

Some facts are not welcome here according to the Code of Conduct. I have been warned about posting Real World facts as well.

Concerntrate on the Realms avoid any comparision to Real World Religion.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  23:35:13  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
That's hardly likely to work, given that tons of "Real World" deities have been adopted to the Realms and if people start asking questions, one cannot simply stop short with just the religions, cults and sects as such - especially if comparissions are as glaring as these. I mean, it should be common knowledge that the Christians (nor any other monotheistic religion) ran about in a white vestments ever since they formed as a faith. I'm not "targetting" any modern day Christians here or the religion as such, but zeolots of centuries gone by.
But anyway ... I'll leave that to the books then.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Edited by - Zanan on 14 Oct 2007 23:36:47
Go to Top of Page

Inaubryn
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  11:45:23  Show Profile Send Inaubryn a Private Message
Just to clarify on some of the Vhaeraun/Jaezred Chaulssin issues. Xorthaul is indeed a priest of Vhaeraun. The entry from the City of Wyrm Shadows Web Enhancement says this:

Church of Vhaeraun: Given their hatred for the Spider Queen, most Chaulssinyr give at least token obeisance to the Masked Lord. Led by Patron Father Xorthaul of Jhachalkhyn, clerics of Vhaeraun hold many influential positions among the Jaezred Chaulssin, but the other Patron Fathers subtly discourage all efforts to make the brotherhood into the swordarm of the church. In the wake of Lolth’s return, the Patron Fathers have moved to further distance themselves from the hierarchy of the Masked Lord, seeking to sidestep the possibility of open warfare between the Spider Queen and her son.

And, the Jaezred Chaulssin is indeed a drow house. But they do not actively advance Vhaeraun's dogma as cited by the above entry where they are distancing themselves.

Edited by - Inaubryn on 22 Oct 2007 11:48:49
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  15:35:28  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Help yourself to page 53 of the Grand History. It explicatly spells that Jaezred is in fact the name of a clan of shadow dragons who conquered Chaulssin and eradicated the drow. The web-enhancement gives you the current population figures and the who's who there.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Edited by - Zanan on 22 Oct 2007 15:43:54
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000