Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Storm of the dead (Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Nighttfall
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  05:40:45  Show Profile  Visit Nighttfall's Homepage Send Nighttfall a Private Message
Ark,

If I was out of line, just let me know.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  06:06:21  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
Well there is the Code of Conduct that perhaps should be reviewed by the newer posters.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 07 Sep 2007 06:07:02
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  09:22:45  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Emotions obviously running high and IMHO, it is better to voice concerns hereabouts, where designers and authors are about, than at the less frequented (by the former) WizBoards or air them in an Amazon-revision. If I my tone got the better of me ... well, it was not intentional.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 07 Sep 2007 09:24:02
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  17:42:30  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message
To move away from the topic of god slaying and epic spells...

I was struck by the notion of Elves with acne. This seemed so inconsistent with my view of them as being nearly universally physically attractive. Sure some of them are bigger and tougher than others and maybe they wouldn't all fit the bill as beautiful to all beholders, but acne? I know it shouldn't bother me, but it just dragged the Drow down to the level of "human" for me.

It's a trap, I think, for any writer. You can write about how mysterious and amazing some race is but once you see them in day to day living it's tough to keep that feeling of "otherness" going. Writing the dialog between gods just ups the ante.

Go to Top of Page

Pharaun Mizzrym
Acolyte

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  18:43:20  Show Profile  Visit Pharaun Mizzrym's Homepage Send Pharaun Mizzrym a Private Message
Yea that book was a huge letdown its the first realms book I was not drawn in the entire time i was reading it.

Edited by - Pharaun Mizzrym on 07 Sep 2007 18:44:12
Go to Top of Page

Nighttfall
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2007 :  03:21:49  Show Profile  Visit Nighttfall's Homepage Send Nighttfall a Private Message
*still thinks the Realms and indeed many authors are doing much dis-service to the actual powers of the planes*
Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2007 :  21:44:36  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message
Just finished it today, and I'd just like to spout a few random things right off before I start writing any essays.

First, setting aside all other aspects of the book - I don't think anyone else mentioned it, maybe because it's obvious, but I absolutely loved that the author used Karas from the City of the Spider Queen adventure. I didn't quite get the thing with the constant rats, but that had interesting potential too considering another member of the Hidden (Logala Thenduk, I think) was a wererat and the scene where Q'arlynd saw a rat looking for Karas. After that I was kind of hoping the quth-maren he encountered at the Acropolis would turn out to be formerly known as Hamadh the Unseen, but I'm happy enough without that on top of all else.

Then there's the back blurb. "One has already fallen?" One? After the double-whammy in the last book? Something's not adding up. That and there's definite hinting at something up with the Crescent Blade. Qilué does seem more bloodthirsty at the last what with the "kill them" bit. I remember Godsbane being brought up in comparison before... hmm. A fangirl can dream.

I'd figured Kiaransalee was probably going down, but as the book was drawing to a close and there was no sign of a goddess-killing scheme afoot, I began to wonder. Then - wham, bam. Selvetarm's death seemed absolutely protracted next to this one.

This has been brought up earlier, but the whole "taint" thing did have me lifting an eyebrow. I just hope Wendonai was talking out of his... er, nose, and the Miyeritari have good reason to be bitter.

Really randomly - the three-way sava thing reminded me of this one episode of Arthur that I watched back when I was young enough to, in which two of the characters try to include another one in their checkers game. After thinking of that, I couldn't help but imagine Kiaransalee playing with random coins, Mancala beans, borrowed pieces from either side (leading to considerable confusion), Monopoly pieces, and the like. Just had to mention that.

P. S. Also, is it me, or do the Kiaransalees of the various 'verses have bad luck with their names? The Greyhawk Kiaransalee became "Kiaransali" and subservient to Lolth (at least according to Dragon 298, for all the credibility that has), and it looks like the Realmsian Kiaransalee did her one better.

Edited by - TobyKikami on 09 Sep 2007 03:40:59
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2007 :  09:38:43  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TobyKikami
P. S. Also, is it me, or do the Kiaransalees of the various 'verses have bad luck with their names? The Greyhawk Kiaransalee became "Kiaransali" and subservient to Lolth (at least according to Dragon 298, for all the credibility that has), and it looks like the Realmsian Kiaransalee did her one better.

The problem we face is that we do not exactly know what befell Kiaransalee here. I mean, the sava game runs alongside the whole storyline and is just one part of the "reality" here. "Who takes what?" is the question. For example: who takes credit for slaying Selvetarm? Cavatina, who did it "in-novel" with the Crescent Blade, or Lolth at the sava board? Who takes the credit for Kiaransalee's disappearance? Eilistraee? She did next to nothing and whether Q'arlynd did it "for her" is a question to be answered. And, more important for DMs and gamers, who takes the portfolios etc. from those "slain" or "disappeared"? We won't know since "Ascendancy of the Last" is out - but whether this book relates such in-game infos in a novel?

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  19:24:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

I was struck by the notion of Elves with acne. This seemed so inconsistent with my view of them as being nearly universally physically attractive. Sure some of them are bigger and tougher than others and maybe they wouldn't all fit the bill as beautiful to all beholders, but acne? I know it shouldn't bother me, but it just dragged the Drow down to the level of "human" for me.

Acne has nothing to do with beauty, it's all about a certain type of bacteria that likes to live (and unfortunately, sometimes thrive) on the skin. Beautiful people get acne. I'll bet elven skin is just crawling with bacteria...

Regarding this trilogy. As with certain other trilogies, I will read these books for enjoyment, but will not consider the events therein to have happened in MY Realms. Lisa Smedman is a fine writer. Her character interaction, I like. The god-killing, I dislike (and that was no doubt WotC's idea, not Lisa's).

quote:
Please try to avoid extreme characterizaions of characters or even the plots.

Not to come off as flippant, Ark, but...isn't any character an "extreme characterization" by it's very nature?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 11 Sep 2007 19:26:41
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  19:36:20  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message
Jeez, I wish someone would have told me that when I was in middle school. Here I was thinking I was repulsive. Now I find I was just a beautiful person covered in bacteria!

I still think the Drow would be too vain to let acne mar their skin, but compared to god/balor-slaying I suppose this is a minor quip.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  20:07:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

Jeez, I wish someone would have told me that when I was in middle school. Here I was thinking I was repulsive. Now I find I was just a beautiful person covered in bacteria!

Heh. Well, it's true--acne is complicated, but as far as I know we usually have a type of bacteria to thank for it.

quote:
I still think the Drow would be too vain to let acne mar their skin, but compared to god/balor-slaying I suppose this is a minor quip.

Drow could use spells or medicines to combat bacterial infection.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 11 Sep 2007 20:08:07
Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  17:48:12  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message
I'm afraid I've not been following these books, so could someone confirm whether Ghaunadaur's had any play time yet?

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  18:03:53  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Bones

I'm afraid I've not been following these books, so could someone confirm whether Ghaunadaur's had any play time yet?

As I recall, they talked about him a good bit in the first book, but I don't think he's actually done anything so far.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  21:49:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Bones

As I recall, they talked about him a good bit in the first book, but I don't think he's actually done anything so far.

yup, no action for the G man in book 2.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  14:35:50  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message
I was disappointed with this book. I think it lacked much in every way. Low level characters killin Deities, the Faezress 'created' by High Magic to keep the Drow where they belong, now it resembles a drug of a sort, contradictions about what happened in Sacrifice of the Widow and Qilue acting out of sorts. The biggest thing is that a member mentioned, that it did not really concentrate on the Lady Penitent. Correct me if I am mistaken, but is the trilogy called The Lady Penitent for a reason?? This book seems more the The 'Redemption' of Cavatina. With all these 'things' that happened, I wonder if the 3rd book is worth gettin.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  02:42:32  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message
I suppose in the third book I can hope for the following:
1- Vhaeruan to come back saying "I'm not dead yet, my followers clapped enough!" (sorry for the random Peter Pan reference)
2- Ryld and Elkantar to get brought back from the dead (why not? Everyone else seems to. Oh wait, they are but mere males )
3- Kiaransalee comes back with a vengance (unlikely *pout*)
4- Cavartina and Q'arlynd try to smack each other down, Highlander style *crosses fingers and hopes really hard*

And now that the silliness is mostly out of my system, on to other matters...

I was under the impression that faezeress was a natural phenomena of the Underdark. For a moment, for the sake of argument, pretend it isn't and is in fact a high magic effect left over from the Descent. Why then is it limited to the Underdark when at the time of the Descent the majority of dark elves were on the surface? Wouldn't there be faezeress sources on the surface, then? And if it is an effect regulated to the Underdark, why didn't the ancient dark elves, well, leave the Underdark and migrate to lands not populated by other elf races? I am a bit confused.

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  03:06:14  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

I suppose in the third book I can hope for the following:
1- Vhaeruan to come back saying "I'm not dead yet, my followers clapped enough!" (sorry for the random Peter Pan reference)

Yay Peter Pan.

My personal crack!theory used to be that he's in the same place as Leira, Xvim, Schrodinger's cat, and all those other characters where you never see the corpse. Well, now we've seen the corpse, even if we continue to be deprived of a proper death scene, so I need to rethink this.

quote:
2- Ryld and Elkantar to get brought back from the dead (why not? Everyone else seems to. Oh wait, they are but mere males )
I seem to recall Ryld turning up post-death and saying he didn't want to be resurrected, but that was the same book where he died, so, well...

You know, given the anecdotal evidence, sometimes I wonder if my liking a character with an "open" canon isn't some kind of kiss of death (spider kiss, if you will), especially after both of my favorite drow gods got snuffed in book one. In that case... ooh, I wuvs Lolth sooo much and I want her to win everything and reign supreme...
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  06:04:27  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message
quote:

My personal crack!theory used to be that he's in the same place as Leira, Xvim, Schrodinger's cat, and all those other characters where you never see the corpse. Well, now we've seen the corpse, even if we continue to be deprived of a proper death scene, so I need to rethink this.

"Dead" gods seem to be awful had to get rid of totally. Orcus came back (to a certain extent anyway), Aumenator (Netheril sun god) seems to keep turning up here and there in bits and pieces particularly in the Baldur's Gate games and Appenser (Jhammrathan god of mentalism) still has a very small following. And don't even get me started on Bhaalspawn I'm going to keep clapping for Vhaeruan.

quote:
I seem to recall Ryld turning up post-death and saying he didn't want to be resurrected, but that was the same book where he died, so, well...

The question was also being posed to him by Halisstra, who still can't figure out what she wants. He might have gotten tired of her all or nothing approaches. He could always change his mind later. *shrugs* I'm just still sad that nearly every character I liked in that series died. Oh well...

quote:
You know, given the anecdotal evidence, sometimes I wonder if my liking a character with an "open" canon isn't some kind of kiss of death (spider kiss, if you will), especially after both of my favorite drow gods got snuffed in book one. In that case... ooh, I wuvs Lolth sooo much and I want her to win everything and reign supreme...

LOL I'll hop on that band wagon

Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  14:12:46  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message
quote:
"Dead" gods seem to be awful had to get rid of totally. Orcus came back (to a certain extent anyway), Aumenator (Netheril sun god) seems to keep turning up here and there in bits and pieces particularly in the Baldur's Gate games and Appenser (Jhammrathan god of mentalism) still has a very small following. And don't even get me started on Bhaalspawn I'm going to keep clapping for Vhaeruan.

I think I'll join you there. I was considering origami cranes, but clapping seems much more expedient.

And now for a skit of wishful thinking. I'll see you your Peter Pan and raise you a Monty Python and a Hitchhiker's Guide.

Eilistraee and Lolth: *stare daggers at each other across the sava board*
Kiaransalee: *pops up* I want in again!
Eilistraee: What? You're dead. Vanish in a puff of logic or something.
Kiaransalee: No, just resting. You know that whole wipe-name-out thing? Did that with Orcus? Well, y'see, the thing is, I'd actually killed him first. By conventional means. And he ended up coming back anyway, so. Not the most reliable method, is it?
Lolth: Fine, I'll just kill you again. Then I suppose I'll kill my daughter and vindicate the new edition of Drow of the Underdark.
Eilistraee: *voice goes oddly deeper* Sweet Ao, that book is rubbish. *clutches at throat, voice back to normal* Shh! You'll give it away!
Lolth: *eyes narrow* Already given away, sweetie.
Vhaeraun: *separates from Eilistraee, taking her recent accessories and dye job with him* Fine. You know, there's this interesting semantics issue. "The day your hand is lifted against her will be the last of your life?" Well, see, it's always night in her domain, so -
Lolth: Oh, pull the other one.
Vhaeraun: - with a bit of negotiation and a lot of clapping...
Lolth: And the astral corpse?
Eilistraee: Animated paper mache.
*Window opens on Astral Plane*
Erevan Ilesere: *shouting through* Hey, now that the game's up, you don't mind if I take this home, do you? Great fun at parties!
Lolth: Oh for the love of... you mean we've slogged through a whole trilogy, killing off half the pantheon, and only my so-called Champion has the decency to stay dead?
Eilistraee: Well, actually... *holds up Crescent Blade* I confiscated this from Qilué after the "wholesale Kiaransaleen slaughter" incident.
Kiaransalee: I'm going to get you back for that, you do realize.
Eilistraee: Charmed, I'm sure. And I'm also sure he really thanked himself for keeping on those aranea. They seem to have made great life support. So with a lot of negotiation, and several thousand paper cranes... *smashes Crescent Blade* Welcome back.
Selvetarm: *pops out of the wreckage* Heya.
Vhaeraun: ... that priestess of yours is going to blow a gasket.
Go to Top of Page

Phelp Der Zemit
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  23:07:40  Show Profile  Visit Phelp Der Zemit's Homepage Send Phelp Der Zemit a Private Message
1) I know it's late but I feel a need to say this, Vhaerun was my favorite deity :-( "Fight the Power" should have been his motto.

2) It was a good book, I really only like the parts that include Q'arlynd though. And while on the subject, were can I post to miss smedman and find some of his stats. Like level and what not.

"We are all creatures of ambition, even if that ambition is to free ourselves of responsibility. The desire to escape ambition is, in and of itself, ambitition, and thus ambition is an inescapable truth of ratational excistance."

-Drizzt Do'Urden-

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  01:30:28  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message
Here's a random question, maybe someone has a random answer:

When are we going to see Lolth's clergy get in the fracas? I mean it is Lolth and Ellistraee playing sava against each other, right? Or does That Which Lurks need to have a sudden accident first?

Still clapping for Vhaeruan. I could probably fold a thousand origami cranes easily though...

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  02:56:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
I was under the impression that faezeress was a natural phenomena of the Underdark.

Same here. :-/ I'm not on board with the lore changes occuring in this series, even if the book works well as a novel.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  05:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
I was under the impression that faezeress was a natural phenomena of the Underdark.

Same here. :-/ I'm not on board with the lore changes occuring in this series, even if the book works well as a novel.

Well... I could see faezeress as a corrrupted side effect of Illythiiri High magic and mythals, since a lot of drow cities are deliberately built on top of areas of strong faezeress, but it wasn't presented that way. Oh well, it's just spilled milk now *pouts*

Still hoping for an epic confrontation between Q'arlynd and Cavatina, with Q'arlynd winning

On crane #234 for the Vhaeruan resurrection effort. I will keep hoping unil the end.

Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  16:45:58  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message
quote:
Still hoping for an epic confrontation between Q'arlynd and Cavatina, with Q'arlynd winning

On crane #234 for the Vhaeruan resurrection effort. I will keep hoping unil the end.

Hey, good luck. Once I have more breathing space I might start doing some for Selvetarm.

In retrospect, one thing that kind of gets me about Cavatina's "redemption" scene in this book is how she just up and yells "I am redeemed!" Now I might be a fogey, and I could be reading this all wrong, but I thought redemption called for a bit more than "Okay, so I might have done horrible things like chop up a dog, and no that one guy in the cocoon still doesn't count, but I'm All Better Now," i.e. doing something to fix it or at least trying to. So she's just redeemed on her (and Eilistraee's) say-so? I can see her starting to do it, given that she's realized she has something of a problem, but in that one page between her going guilty and her yelling at Wendonai she doesn't have a lot of opportunity.

Maybe it's just semantics. I'm sure "I am redeemed" is a much more pithy line than "I'm working on it, oh and by the way Wendonai? You just wish you ended up banging the entire female Ilythiiri population. You're talking out of your... nose."
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  01:40:17  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message
Cavatina so swiftly became my least favorite character in Sacrifice of the Widow that I can easily believe that she would try desperately to convince herself that she has been "redeemed." The lore changes keep encouraging me to put it down and contemplate writing a flaming parody.

I do remember in SotW Cavatina being jealous that she'd never needed to feel redeemed and I found it totally ironic that she still didn't after killing the trussed up Nightshadow. I was even more surprised when Qilue didn't call her on it. It makes me miss Seyell from WotSQ. Good grief, it makes miss Halisstra from WotSQ.

I'll stop ranting now for a bit.

On crane #371.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  03:02:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
One of my dear characters is a female drow monk of Eilistraee. She would be considered a "redeemed villian", but I like to consider her a "work in progress". She's still a drow (she grew up in the Underdark and did terrible things there) and she's still not perfect, even though she is now LG.

So I agree that being redeemed takes some effort, not just a few pithy words.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 04 Oct 2007 03:03:12
Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  03:20:33  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message
quote:

Cavatina so swiftly became my least favorite character in Sacrifice of the Widow that I can easily believe that she would try desperately to convince herself that she has been "redeemed." The lore changes keep encouraging me to put it down and contemplate writing a flaming parody.

I do remember in SotW Cavatina being jealous that she'd never needed to feel redeemed and I found it totally ironic that she still didn't after killing the trussed up Nightshadow. I was even more surprised when Qilue didn't call her on it. It makes me miss Seyell from WotSQ. Good grief, it makes miss Halisstra from WotSQ.

I'll stop ranting now for a bit.

On crane #371.

I'd read that parody.

Well, now Qilué apparently has her own issues... I'll just keep hoping that it's buildup to Selvetarm reappearing (albeit sometime after 1385) and not just Lolth Trick #986.

And there's another nitpick I have regarding Seyll - in this book, Halisstra remembers casting charm person or the like on her before killing her. In Condemnation she cast the spell on Feliane, the surface elven priestess (though she had a stint as a drow in Annihilation), got her to hand over her sword, and then pretended to be scared of losing her footing so Seyll would come help her over, whereupon she made with the stabbity death (and I'm a sad sad person for remembering all this off the top of my head, but anyhow). I suppose we can chalk it up to Halisstra's unreliable memory, but to my fevered brain it seems vaguely significant that a perfectly considerate gesture in the original book is now portrayed as being due to magical duress.

Well, one nice thing they did about Seyll is that tantalizing bit with her brother in Sacrifice of the Widow, which kinda-sorta explained why she was an Auzkovyn except not really. I take it as possibly hinting that she used to be a Masked Traitor, which would partly explain why Szorak was so bitter about girls.

And speaking of Masked Traitors - in the prologue Eilistraee moves a "Priestess" wearing Vhaeraun's mask. On first reading I got a bit excited thinking there was going to be one in the book, but she never materialized. Ah well. Chalk it up to piece nomenclature, especially since it started out as Mother-Daughter Sava Club.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  06:25:32  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

One of my dear characters is a female drow monk of Eilistraee. She would be considered a "redeemed villian", but I like to consider her a "work in progress". She's still a drow (she grew up in the Underdark and did terrible things there) and she's still not perfect, even though she is now LG.

So I agree that being redeemed takes some effort, not just a few pithy words.

Drow monk of Eilistraee? That sounds like an interesting character from the get go. Elven deities being normally chaotic and all... And I like the idea of a character being a work in progress even if they only end up in one story

Anyway, Cavatina's gripe as stated in SotW was something along the lines of "because she had been born to a cleric of Eilistraee, she would never feel the joy of coming into the light from the darkness." I know I'm paraphrasing some and so may have missed some of the nuances, but it seems like Cavatina envies that experience of her fellow priestesses from the Underdark and simulatneously blames the work of redemption for the death of her mother at a Nightshadow's hands. Sounds messed up to me.

She might be "redeemed" from the supposed taint that Weondai left the drow, but I'll bet she's still a pain in the petunia to all the males she meets. And then there's another thing, he's a balor with levels in the "seducer" monster class. Would it be too much to hope that he was lying the entire time? *sigh*

quote:

And speaking of Masked Traitors - in the prologue Eilistraee moves a "Priestess" wearing Vhaeraun's mask. On first reading I got a bit excited thinking there was going to be one in the book, but she never materialized. Ah well. Chalk it up to piece nomenclature, especially since it started out as Mother-Daughter Sava Club.

I suppose it could be Qilue's piece. Or Cavatina, since both of them are having more than issues, they are considering subscriptions. I better stop before my sarcasm gets the better of me again.

In other news:
I have to redo crane #396 because my chinchilla ate it.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  10:26:44  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Qilué is preparing (that 9-day atuning dance) herself for "her" fight with a goddess. The hint that the blade actually cut her may point towards a failure, as the sword is most likely meant to be wielded by Cavatina. (Which does not preclude the possibility that she pops up at the right moment - i.e. after Quiluè's failure to do the job properly. Of course, any author who knows just a tiny bit of rules about deities will not let it happen. Slaying a deity and a greater deity at that would ruin exactly ALL of what has been written on them in AD&D and 3E lore. It is outrageous enough as it is by now.

Vhaeraun resurrected? No, give me Mask instead of him any other day. He'd stop them males trying to overthrow the females to set the "natural order straight" (one of the most silliest remarks they tend to use) and let them work on something useful.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  10:46:23  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message
Vhaeraun does not entirely overthrow the female Drow. He does have female agents and he even has a Chosen among the females. I mentioned this before and has yet to be acknowledged. Shakti Hunzrin is a Traitor Priestess and a Chosen of Vhaeraun.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000