Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Life in the Realms and...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2007 :  19:15:00  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Rome...

I have become addicted to the HBO series of the same name. Bloody (quite literally) good stories and depiction of day to day life, and I wonder how much can be applied to the Realms in general.

Shoot away

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  15:51:53  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't say I share your enthusiasm for the show Mace - to me it felt a lot like the writers had gotten a bit too carried away by the more lax censorship demands of HBO compared to the ground-based American channels. For a really good TV-show on ancient Rome, get yourself a copy of the I Claudius DVD boxed set. One of the absolute highlights of British TV.

As for how much can be applied to the Realms... The big political plotting and intrigues probably could be used as a model or as inspiration for a campaign set in Thay or Mulhorand (that's the two that leap out at me, but Im pretty sure Sembia, Cormyr, Calimshan, or even Tethyr could work just as well - not to mention the somewhat Roman-inspired Shoon Empire if one wants to go historical). And the daily life bits, sure, can't see why not.

Edit: Fixed spelling error: I manage gratuitous but fail on felt?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 31 Aug 2007 15:54:13
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2007 :  21:13:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I pretty much see Mulhorand when I watch that show (Cleopatra even appears in it!). All the debauchery and slavery and back-biting - just a general sense of ancient decadence that permeates the place.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dragon Cultist
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  13:40:13  Show Profile  Visit Dragon Cultist's Homepage Send Dragon Cultist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Necro strikes again.

Donīt restrict yourself to human realms. Seems to me a lot of HBO's Rome (and yes, older stuff like I Claudius) could inspire aspects of the Empire of Cormanthyr. From what Ed Greenwood writes in his Elminster at Myth Drannor c.s., elven society had other sides apart from harmonic forest dwelling.

"And naught will be left save shattered thrones with no rulers.
But the dead dragons shall rule the world entire..."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000