Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Using d20 products in your campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  19:19:08  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Not sure if this is the best category for this, but....

Do any of you use any other d20 products for your FR campaign? Being those NOT produced by WotC.

Ive been resisting for a long time to stick to just actual core D&D and FR products but I gave in to buying The Quintessential Elf sourcebook by Moongoose Publishing. I found this to be an excellent book, in a similar vein to the old AD&D 2nd Edition Complete Book of Elves. Moongoose have about 15 of these books out for various Races and Classes and IMO theyre excellent!

I also have bought (by the same publisher) The Ultimate Equipment Guide.... also fantastic, even better than the Arms and Equipment Guide by WotC.

What with the recent unpleasant news of WotC not producing any more FR adventure modules, I feel that I may have no choice but to invest in third-party d20 adventures........... and this is coming from a very long-standing hard-core dedicated loyal FR\D&D\TSR\WotC fan. What is the world coming to?!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  20:13:57  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to use D20 books i find find them too munchkib oriented. So i sold them...
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  22:22:38  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

I used to use D20 books i find find them too munchkib oriented. So i sold them...

Your right Zemd! I like SOME d20 stuff. The Monte Cook Sword and Sorcery stuff is very good. The mongoos stuff is excellent actually. I really have to agree with RAD. One of the best. One thing that annoyed me is there is one company that puts out random supplements and on the cover they always have a picture of a really scantily clad chick. (granted she usually looks nice...)
Well one of their supplements was about the NORSE VIKINGS. What was on the cover? A Blond female dressed in black leather wielding... WHAT? A KATANA!!!! OH YEAH! The vikings hadd those!!!! IT annoys me when game companies use the pretty girls to sell products.

There is also one KNIGHT supplement I have seen in the stores that is really good!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  13:18:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only non FR d20 material I regularly use for my FR campaigns, are the Encyclopedia Arcane series of sourcebooks, and Malhavoc's Book of Eldritch Might - Books I, II, and III, as well as the Book of Hallowed Might. I regularly use the information contained in these tomes for adventure ideas, PrC, background material to flesh out certain homebrew portions of the Realms I create, or to supplement the material collection of feats, spells and other useful information for my FR campaigns.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  16:46:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Do any of you use any other d20 products for your FR campaign? Being those NOT produced by WotC.

Yes when it comes to stuff from D20 publishers I like. Mongoose and Green Ronin produce materials I find vastly superior to compatible items that WOTC puts out.

Case in point.....Book of the Righteouse from Green Ronin versus any of the deity books that WOTC put out.....
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2003 :  09:44:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree Sirius, the Book of the Righteous was probably one of the best written, and thoughout d20 publications I have ever purchased. And as an example to what you just said, I find I refer to this book, more times than I actually pickup Deities and Demigods, although that book does have some good points, especially when your campaigns go planar.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Edited by - The Sage on 30 May 2003 09:45:08
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  13:51:31  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mournblade said
quote:
Your right Zemd! I like SOME d20 stuff. The Monte Cook Sword and Sorcery stuff is very good. The mongoos stuff is excellent actually. I really have to agree with RAD. One of the best. One thing that annoyed me is there is one company that puts out random supplements and on the cover they always have a picture of a really scantily clad chick. (granted she usually looks nice...)
Well one of their supplements was about the NORSE VIKINGS. What was on the cover? A Blond female dressed in black leather wielding... WHAT? A KATANA!!!! OH YEAH! The vikings hadd those!!!! IT annoys me when game companies use the pretty girls to sell products.

And so boys tell me that there is not enough girls playing RPG. Well, u got one the reason...

I think that they have to be taken with big care, beacause sometimes they are totally out of the basic idea, for me.
Like u can use rules that make the same effect as a feat -and some even better- but freely.
Go to Top of Page

Canyia
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  08:22:07  Show Profile  Visit Canyia's Homepage Send Canyia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only use one d20 book The Ultimate Equipment Guide but I only have a few book to begin with. Finding any FR books by WotC or d20 or anyone else for that matter is near impossible and if you do find a decent useful book it costs an arm and a leg. . . But still I search on, stopping only to console my poor anorexic wallet . . .

Some people say that I'm heartless. They are wrong though,I have the heart of a little girl . . .in a jar on my desk.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  11:48:22  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canyia

I only use one d20 book The Ultimate Equipment Guide but I only have a few book to begin with. Finding any FR books by WotC or d20 or anyone else for that matter is near impossible and if you do find a decent useful book it costs an arm and a leg. . . But still I search on, stopping only to console my poor anorexic wallet . . .

An excellent book Youll also be pleased to know that Moongoose have announced a More Ultimate Equipment book due out in the next couple of months

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  13:25:46  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

Yup. Traded most of the garbage in to finish off my FR collection. Now I have everything published for 3E.

I'm sticking to D&D and FR. The worst experience I've had with D20 material would be the S&S Relics and Rituals. It's like they were written by 15 year old gamers. :)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  07:16:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elf_Friend said -
quote:
The worst experience I've had with D20 material would be the S&S Relics and Rituals. It's like they were written by 15 year old gamers. :)
I can agree with that, to an extent. The only real S&S product (that I have) that I use, is the Wise and Wicked supplement. But this is only as a quick reference for NPCs to use in my campaigns when I don't have enough time to create my own.

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Aug 2003 07:17:03
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  16:54:20  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have looked at these books since a friend of mine owns a gamming store. I find that some of the things like Zemd said are defiantly too munchkin. Some of the information however can be useful. Also if you look at some of the feats listed in those books some are ok for use is a serious game, but you have to really look at them first.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  20:51:58  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate most of this criticism on d20 material. I am torn abd so far only rely on Mongoose. However when September comes around I am defintiely going to Order Nyambe. I wanted to fit the ideas into microcosms of the FR, but Zimeros gave me the idea of fleshing out one of the unknown lands of the FR. I think I will use Nyambe for that. I looked through it and it is great!

Some of the sea faring stuff is good as well. BUt I found with the d20 stuff there is usually a percentage of like 30% I find useful. OFten this is 30% of an entire BOOK, in fact many books! I wish they would publish one whole book for about $100 that was entitled : The d20 Stuff Mournblade finds useful. I know htat is pushing it but it is worth a try To often a book has a GREAT idea, and then the next page is a munchkin factory.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2003 :  09:05:38  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

An excellent book Youll also be pleased to know that Moongoose have announced a More Ultimate Equipment book due out in the next couple of months

Damn! Id got so excited about this book....only to just find that its not a book at all, its merely a 49 page PDF for $6

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000