Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Parrying?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2003 :  15:09:27  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was talking to another DM yesterday who was helping me figure out 3E some more. We go to talking and I had brought up parrying. I was surprised when he asked me what that was. I told him that it allowed the PC a chance to block his opponent's malee attack with an attack of his own. He told me that in 3E there was no such thing.

Can any fellow scribe tell me if there is. I beleive that it should be a feat. Here is the idea that I had to make it a feat. Those of you that are more learned/ experience with 3E can make any corrections to this if I do it wrong and trust me I'm sure I will.

Parry
Pre-req: Minimum Dex 13, Base Attack +2

This feat allows a PC to attempt to block their opponents malee attack. The PC must have a higher attack roll (that would normally hit his opponent) than his opponent for the Parry to work. The PC must state before the round his intent. He can hold back any and all of his attacks to use as a parry. If his opponent misses or fumbles, the PC must still make his full parry attempt (unless the PC was going for a multiple parry in which case the first parry must continue and the rest are lost)

So what do you all think?

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2003 :  15:54:34  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3 questions for ye.

1) Does a opponent using his fists take dmg from you using parry?
2) Would being able to us parry depend on what type of weapon (excluding ranged) that you were using?
3) How about if you parry correctly there could be a chance of knocking the weapon out of the opponents hand?

Life is like a box of chocolates. Once you eat the poisoned one you die.
Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2003 :  16:08:42  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use to use this ability when I had a 2E fighter and no there was no damage delt. It would be the same as though you block a punch being thrown at you. There is a chance for damage to occure but that would be up to the DM.

I guess my main question is: does anyone know of a feat in 3E that allows you to parry and if it is something you would use?

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2003 :  16:57:56  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I usually play the class of a fighter and such, I would find no use for parry. However, those of a ranger/wizard/etc. pending on the situation, might.

Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2003 :  17:09:30  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I understand it in 3ed, parry is a feat based move.

Example: Off-Hand Parry, this feat allows a duel wielding character to parry with their off hand by taking away your off hand attack and adding a +1 to your AC. Once you attack with the off hand you loose this AC mod.

There are other feats that do the same thing. By subtracting attacks and upping the players AC.

Parry is no longer a strike based move such as grapple which allows opposed checks.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2003 :  18:25:35  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mythander- what are the other type of feats and where can I find them? Is the parry only available to those that fight with 2 weapons?

Salabasha- Why wouldn't you want to parry if you could. If you were a reluctant particapant in a fight then why not parry. Or you parry while waiting for an attack oppurtunity. Unless you play a chaotic PC then it wouldn't matter.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

stoltzVI
Acolyte

Norway
11 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  00:15:27  Show Profile  Visit stoltzVI's Homepage Send stoltzVI a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Expertise feat seems to be the closest you can get to actual parrying in 3.0 afaik. The basis is that you subtract a number from your melee attacks and add it to your AC on a round for round basis, so if you have a BAB of +5 you can subtract 5 from your BAB and add it to your AC.
Twin Sword Style from the FRCS also loosely resembles a parry

Some proper rules for parrying in 1on1 duels would be kinda cool, but it seems hard to implement because it would all just cook down to a mexican standoff where both characters would ready actions to parry and no one would attack..
Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  01:25:41  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am still thinking of my last character, an Orc Grunt. He was mostly a hack and slash. So no, I still wouldn't use parrying, at least not for him.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  05:59:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing in 3e/3.5e that actually comes anywhere close to this is the Duelist PrCs' 'Elaborate Parry' ability. I will detail it here, taken directly from the SRD -
quote:
Elaborate Parry (Ex): At 7th level and higher, if a duelist chooses to fight defensively or use total defense in melee combat, she gains an additional +1 dodge bonus to AC for each level of duelist she has.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  06:35:58  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
isn't there something in 3e about going on the defensive? I really don't feel like perusing books right now as I want to get back to Dreamthief's Daughter, but I thoiught I remembered some bonus to AC for fighting on the defensive.

My thoughts on Parrying are that Parrying just happens. ANyone that is a fencer or fights in SCA or Kendo knows that Parrying is something that is completely reactionary and because of this I beleive it is built into the system through the Dexterity modifier to AC. Fighting in SCA, I find that Parrying happens and attacks require a bit more thought.

The 2nd edition had a parrying component, actually SEVERAL of them! You could skip an attack and instead make a to hit roll to counter your opponents strike, then roll damage and take the difference if it is positive. DUMB DUMB DUMB. Terrible system for parrying. I tried all the 2nd edition parrying systems, and eventually gave up. One does not DECIDE to skip a aparry and go in for an attack instead. It is very difficult to explain, but the parrying is just something that should be assumed is going on in combat. I LOVE the duelist abilioty though. I thought that was one of the best PrC made for 3rd ed.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  06:57:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually you could be right about that Mournblade. I will have to check my books. I am pretty sure it was the same thing that was used for the parrying ability in the NWN game, although it's been a while since I played it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  14:45:57  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All good points that you each have made. And Mournblades example of Kendo and other martial arts makes sense. I never really thought of it that way. I just always figured that if you are in a fight that you really do not want to be in, such as with a hot head kid or angry woman, you would parry their attacks instead of attacking.

Again thanks for the input great scribes.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  18:03:49  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok here is fighting on the defensive from the 3.5 PHB.

"You can choose to fight defensively when attacking. If you do so you take a -4 penalty on all attack in a round to gain a +2 bonus to your AC for the same round. This bonus Stacks with the Ac bonus Granted by the Combat Expertise feat."

Combat Expertise:

When you use the attack action or the full attack action in melee, you can take a penalty of as much as -5 on your attack roll and add the same number (+5 or less) as a dodge bonus to your Armor Class. This number may not exceed you base attack bonus. The changes to attack rolls and Armor Class last until you next action.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  23:49:38  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mythander

Ok here is fighting on the defensive from the 3.5 PHB.

"You can choose to fight defensively when attacking. If you do so you take a -4 penalty on all attack in a round to gain a +2 bonus to your AC for the same round. This bonus Stacks with the Ac bonus Granted by the Combat Expertise feat."

Combat Expertise:

When you use the attack action or the full attack action in melee, you can take a penalty of as much as -5 on your attack roll and add the same number (+5 or less) as a dodge bonus to your Armor Class. This number may not exceed you base attack bonus. The changes to attack rolls and Armor Class last until you next action.

Right! Cool that Combat Expertise or EXpertise for 3e pretty much covers what Arazn was talking about when you go on the defensive and choose to do nothing but parry. At least I always thought of expertise in that way. Like in fencing (practice anyway) when you work on parrying and NO ATTACK you are extremely difficult to hit because all of your energy goes into defense (Of course no bout was won by parrying either). URG!!! I wish my ankle would heal so I could Fence again! Parrying with heavy SCA weapons is high impact and that jsut tires you out quick!

I really have to say, I love ALL the editions of D&D but I think the 3e did a great job of combat. I have to say I think it is one of the best combat systems out there. It has its flaws but it just MAKES SENSE at least!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  11:15:24  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ought to look into fencing. When I was taking karate (though it was such a mishmash of the martial arts that it was stretching the truth to call it that) I was told by my teacher that I had some real talent for quick moves and dodging. I basically fought like a fencer.

I also parried with my own attacks, something that threw off a lot of my partners. I remember how one guy who was two belts higher and had a focus on attacks with some powerful kicks didn't know how to treat me sometimes. Unless he treated me as an equal (and stopped being a teacher) he couldn't connect a kick on me. It didn't work nearly this well with anyone else, but whenever he moved, I mirrored him. That made him back off. I'm sure if we sparred more often, he'd get used to it. And besides, I couldn't hit him either, so it wasn't like he was in a hurry.

Actually, just looking into such things is good for any roleplayer. You don't have to join the SCA, but looking into the sorts of things that your character would know helps. Pick up a broadsword and swing it around in your back yard for a while -- I did. I've ridden horses, groomed them, and even cleaned up after them. I've been hiking for hours without much sitting down -- though since I'm unused to that (hey, I'm a geek) I was unable to walk without pain for a few days.

It's not really necessary, but it really makes the story more alive. If you do it for the story, so you can go beyond mere dice rolls, it's something to look into.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  21:38:41  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well said Bookwyrm!!!!

Or join a LARP and understand how difficult casting spells in combat is

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2003 :  06:06:49  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mournblade. I was wondering if I'd rambled a bit too far there.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000