Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fighting burnout, in your players and in yourself
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  01:30:56  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Let's face it. Dungeons and Dragons in all its incarnations has been out a good long time. Some of us have been playing it since the beginning, or close to it.

My question is this: How do you keep from getting burnt out? What tricks have we used to stir the embers of wonder into their bright flames once again?

For my part, I have tried innuerable combinations of classes and races over the years played both male and female characters switched worlds countless times and generally mixed things up pretty well.

But for some reason I just cant get excited about it anymore. It's a shame too, because I have some wonderful memories from playing this game and wouldn't mind some more.

What say you?

Artalis

Email

Edited by - Artalis on 15 May 2007 01:31:43

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  01:37:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Never say never. If you feel burned out, don't make any rash decisions, like "I'll never play D&D again," or "I know I'll never enjoy this the way I used too."

Take some time away. If you feel like D&D and fantasy roleplaying is not doing much for you, try playing something set in modern times or a sci fi setting. If you aren't interested in roleplaying at all, don't be afraid to take a break.

I've known people that were almost afraid to quit playing because they were afraid they would "grow out of it," but honestly, if its something that you love, you will come back to it again. In fact, a lot of times trying to force the game to be fresh and fun makes it even less fun when you do play.

My advice is to figure out something else to do with the old gaming group for a little while, than come back to it when you start getting the RPG itch again.
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

504 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  03:13:23  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a DM I tend change things up every few sessions. If they spend 4 sessions in a dungeon I try to move things to an outdoor setting. If we are outdoors in the wild for a few sessions I move it to a town. If a couple of sessions are combat I try to move things to RP for a bit.

Now note my players advance really slow, we run once a week and it may take multiple weeks to pass an IG day sometimes. They trek through all the parts of the world random encounters and all side quests etc. They are RP nearly every moment of the day, eating meals sleeping, being on watches, chit chat etc. I try to encourage my players to build characters with goals, so a lot of the game interests them because they are trying to accomplish something they really want then its up to me to make it interesting.

Interesting RP on the players part helps a lot, a standard dwarf fighter who smashes things... not very interesting and hard for me to do something with him as a DM. But give me one that is scared of water and loves heights, now I can do something with that. There is a section in the DMG about making interesting NPCs with interesting quirks that might a good reference for players as well.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  04:53:26  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to change campaigns, in order to keep things fresh. My group always seems drop interest around 10th level, so it is fun to start over and revisit mid level campaigns every now and again.
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  07:57:08  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, during my life I experienced 2 periods that I didn't play dungeons and dragons. One period was about six months for personal reasons. But at the end of those six months I had to play again, It was that lil' voice that spoke to me from the inside and I wanted to start again ;-). I was trying to find my old group back again and we are still playing yet. The other time was because I didn't had a group during that time. I didn't played for about a year but I readed a lot of D&D books & novels then.

About a burnout. Just like Gelgur I have players (and play a character) with a background and a real personality. I also things that helps to "defend" yourself from a burnout. If you get one nonetheless, well just take a short break (1 to 6 months) and fresh your mind. You will see you will find a new exiting thing to play ;)
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  08:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We (our group) have played dungeons and dragons fore a long time (17-18 years), and the game has changed because. It started out with basic rules and basic characters and we played four times a month 20 hours each time and sometimes more.

Then we finished school and got jobs and moved from home, and we didn’t have as much time as we did when we went in school and the game changed. When we meet we played more concentrated and made lees fun, and our characters we more detailed in evry way.

Now the “old boys” hase girlfriends (got married) and some of us have children, and the game changed aging. Now we only play 10 hours and sometimes we make diner, and now the time together isn’t only a chance to play D & D but also a chance to meet each other.

The characters a profiled as we call it and we plan what we do, and some of us plays with voices.

Under all this time many of us have taken a break ore changed the way we play so that every game season isn’t the same.

As I see it there are two choices

1. Take a break
2. Try something new (Make a change)

Best of luck Vic.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 15 May 2007 08:24:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  11:09:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Well, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Never say never. If you feel burned out, don't make any rash decisions, like "I'll never play D&D again," or "I know I'll never enjoy this the way I used too."

Take some time away. If you feel like D&D and fantasy roleplaying is not doing much for you, try playing something set in modern times or a sci fi setting. If you aren't interested in roleplaying at all, don't be afraid to take a break.

I've known people that were almost afraid to quit playing because they were afraid they would "grow out of it," but honestly, if its something that you love, you will come back to it again. In fact, a lot of times trying to force the game to be fresh and fun makes it even less fun when you do play.

My advice is to figure out something else to do with the old gaming group for a little while, than come back to it when you start getting the RPG itch again.

This is my advice, too. Either try some other RPGs, or get into a good card game or board game. Something like Munchkin could be a lot of fun, and a nice break from D&D.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  15:38:19  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try something else. Or take a break. Just remember to keep in touch with your gaming pals.

I played 2e for 7-8 years before growing tired of it. I played Vampire for a couple of years and really enjoyed a change of pace and style. After 10 years of gaming I eventually grew tired of gaming and would have quit if it was'nt a shared thing with good friends. (Watching TV was never an option, but you never know, right?)

The first big change for me was finding a system I really loved. I never was a big fan of AD&D, but it worked fairly well with tons of house rules. With Alternity I found a system I really loved.
The second step back to gaming was Baldur's Gate. I still love that game.
The final step was 3e. Finally a system that I like as written, and that work for powergamers and storytellers alike.

Today I play more than ever (well, maybe not), with the same folks I played 20 years ago. Some has been absent for more than a decade, but has now returned to the gamer fold.

Edited by - Snotlord on 15 May 2007 15:40:46
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  15:53:26  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artalis

How do you keep from getting burnt out? What tricks have we used to stir the embers of wonder into their bright flames once again?

We're all human beings and not machines. If D&D stops being fun go and find something that is fun and while you are doing that subconsciously your enthusiasm levels for D&D will rebuild.

I've stopped fighting burn-out now and recognise that when I need a break I have to take it.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

504 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  17:54:56  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should also add a lot of groups rotate DMs. Each player runs their own campaign or sometimes they all run in the same campaign if its well known to them. Each tells their arch and then people rotate to different arc. I hear it works well.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  19:59:37  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mostly when I think of "burn out" I think of DM burn out. If your group is suffering D&D burn out, I think that there is some questions that need to be asked first:

1) How frequently do you play? Is it too much?
Sometimes you're just playing too much. Tell tale signs of this is your job/wife/studies are suffering, if you're playing 3-4 times a week, or if you're playing the same levels over and over again.

2) Are you tiring of D&D, or a DM or Setting?
Some DM's get into ruts without even knowing it and drag their players there too. I know of a player who had the parents of 4 different characters killed by the same DM in under two years. The problem might seem like D&D but could be your DM and switching systems won't change this. Sometimes its the setting. Are your parties always members of the Harpers? Do they meet Elminster in every campaign. Again, this is mostly a DM problem, but can be temporarilly solved by switching settings.

3) Are you tiring because the game has become formulaic?
Pretty much the same as 1

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  23:22:08  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quite - figure out what the problem is, if you can. Then either try and rectify it, or failing that, have a break or try something new - board games (try Diplomacy if you want something to really get stuck into, another RPG, or maybe some computer games - Mario Kart remains a firm favourite with us. As for being bored of things, we don't get the chance to play too often these days, so it's not a problem for us. I'm the only one who doesn't mind DMing though, and while most of the time I really enjoy it, I do miss playing at times. To counter that I've participated in pbem or other online games.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  23:27:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with those who say "try a break". If you love something so much, you'll come back eventually. And if not...well, that's fine too, if that's your decision.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 15 May 2007 23:28:23
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  15:08:33  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got to agree with all of the folks who are suggesting taking a break. I just DM'd my first game in almost 18 months (the break was prompted by some health problems). It was a one-shot game for a friend of a friend as his batchlor's party.

It was great to get back behind the screen and it also helped me realize how burned out I was after 12 years of onnce a week sessions behind the screen. I'm going to DM some more one-shot games over the summer and see where it leads.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  17:00:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

It was a one-shot game for a friend of a friend as his batchlor's party.

So how did the strippers fit into that?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  22:28:20  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Ask THO...

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  14:06:58  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

While I expect Reefy's suggestion of asking yon fair Hooded Lass would be much more entertaining, the reality was that we gamed all day, had a great time, enjoyed the facilities at a new game store in our town, and finished up the role-playing with some board games that everyone enjoyed. All in all, not a bad way to celebrate the impending nuptuals of a good friend.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  03:34:09  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Friends and I used to game routinely in the late 90s with AD&D2, and I was always the DM, and I felt burnout now and then. What I would do is do something completely different, read up on ideas for campaigns, watch movies, and anything else I could think of that could inspire me to create an adventure around it.

Now that we've not gamed since 2000 because of a business move we mutually decided to do, my passion for DMing has been seriously rekindled. And now that I've decided to go electronic as far as mapping goes (the whole laptop/projector/pngs setup), I can't wait to run my 2e FR game again!

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  13:49:23  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

While I expect Reefy's suggestion of asking yon fair Hooded Lass would be much more entertaining, the reality was that we gamed all day, had a great time, enjoyed the facilities at a new game store in our town, and finished up the role-playing with some board games that everyone enjoyed. All in all, not a bad way to celebrate the impending nuptuals of a good friend.

Actually, I would say that it is quite appropriate. After all, nuptials often end both trips to Strip Clubs and one's ability to Game at pre-nuptial levels if at all.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  10:48:39  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, in my experience I will get burned out in periods. Not only in gaming, but also with genres of books, of music etc. When its no longer fun and more of a chore it is time to do something different until the feeling that made you start the hobby in the first place returns. A good break, a different system or just a change in adventuring style or setting might be all it takes. Even going back to basic as a fun one-shot might work. Keep on the Borderlands or one of the other classic modules might work.

But, as with all things this is an individual issue and the same goes for the solutions

Go to Top of Page

Vierna
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  18:01:36  Show Profile  Visit Vierna's Homepage Send Vierna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We can get burnt out sometimes, the best thing I have found is to just take a break. Life gets busy. We usually game most of the winter when everyone is wanting to be indoors and then break for the summer when everyone is busy with vacations and ect... Some of our players leave for 3mths out of the summer, so we usually have a really good "clifhanger" at the end, and resume where we left off.

"Part Well...Regret Nothing" ~ Paul Kemp The Erevis Cale Trilogy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000