Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Unknown Nation?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  15:12:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Another map related question (sorry).

While going through volume 1 of the Horde boxed set, I came across this line under "Clearflow River" entry (pg.36) -

"Only extensive patrols and border forts can keep the settlers safe, but neither Rashemen, Thay, Thazalhar, nor Murghom can establish such a system without incurring the wrath of neighboring nations."

Thazalhar? From the text it appears to be another country, but I don't see another entry for it in the books, nor do I see it on the maps. Does anyone know what this is referencing?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  15:23:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a Tharch of Thay, see page 207 of the FRCS. Probably also in UE and Spellbound and Dreams of the Red Wizards.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  15:23:35  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The rolling hills region of Thazalhar, bounded by the River Thazarim and the River of the Dawn, is perhaps the most desolate region of Thay. Once home to bountiful farms and prosperous inhabitants, the region withered during the Battle of Thazalhar in 922 DR under the boots of sword-wielding soldiers, the spells of the Red Wizards, and havoc wreaked by summoned elementals. The Red Wizards defeated the army of the Mulhorandi god-kings during that battle, and Thay has remained independent of Mulhorand ever since. Yet the cost to Thazalhar was high, as for generations thereafter, nothing grew or could be grown amidst the blackened ruins.

Now, over four centuries later, Thazalhar is fertile again, yet it remains largely uninhabited. The wild and empty easternmost province of Thay is largely ignored, and it is a place to be endured by the wizards, soldiers, and slaves compelled to live there. Each spring thaw raises a crop of grisly relics -- old bones and rusted armaments -- from the earth. All too frequently, such legacies of battles past rise up as undead to plague the living.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  15:48:54  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

The rolling hills region of Thazalhar, bounded by the River Thazarim and the River of the Dawn, is perhaps the most desolate region of Thay. Once home to bountiful farms and prosperous inhabitants, the region withered during the Battle of Thazalhar in 922 DR under the boots of sword-wielding soldiers, the spells of the Red Wizards, and havoc wreaked by summoned elementals. The Red Wizards defeated the army of the Mulhorandi god-kings during that battle, and Thay has remained independent of Mulhorand ever since. Yet the cost to Thazalhar was high, as for generations thereafter, nothing grew or could be grown amidst the blackened ruins.

Now, over four centuries later, Thazalhar is fertile again, yet it remains largely uninhabited. The wild and empty easternmost province of Thay is largely ignored, and it is a place to be endured by the wizards, soldiers, and slaves compelled to live there. Each spring thaw raises a crop of grisly relics -- old bones and rusted armaments -- from the earth. All too frequently, such legacies of battles past rise up as undead to plague the living.

Sounds like a good place to invade and take over! As long as you don't mind the Red Wizards reprisals! Ring of Spell Turning anyone?

But it could be a good place to set an adventure, on the edge of Thay! and all those undead!

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  16:12:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick resposes. The way it's worded, it sounded like a country. I didn't even think to look at Thay.

I wonder why the author listed both Thay and Thazalhar as if they were seperate entities?

Anyhow, making slooooooow headway on my latest endeavor - A map of Kara-Tur that actually lines up to the existing Faerūn Map at WotC, and eventually Zakhara as well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  16:30:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're right, it does read like it's a nation from the way it's worded.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 12 Mar 2007 16:32:03
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  23:37:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering that the Horde know very little about Thay, and look upon Thazalhar itself a "dead land", from their perspective, and from what little they do know about the Unapproachable East, they may consider it a separate region from Thay. We know the nomads of the Endless Waste have spent little time exploring this particular stretch of their "western" frontier, so this lack of accurate geographical information may have made the Horde naturally assume Thazalhar was not actually a part of the Thayvian nation.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2007 :  16:02:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That may well be, because I've come across yet again another line that makes Thazalhar appear to be it's own nation.

I also came across at least one reference to the "Secret Imaskar Empire" working at odds to Semphar. That was as of the SAME YEAR as the Horde novels took place (1360?).

Me thinks someone (the author) was VERY misinformed. Unless there is a covert group by that name I haven't come across, thats a VERY strange reference (vol.1, pg.42)

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Mar 2007 16:03:28
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  22:16:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deep Imaskar was first unveiled in the "Underdark" accessory and further developments have occurred as of the novel "Darkvision".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000