Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Crown Wars...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  05:41:45  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking for some clarification about some points on the Crown Wars.

Ilythiir attacked and destroyed the following during the Second Crown War. What were they exactly, city or realm?

Thearnytaar
Eiellur
Syorpiir

When did Lloth come to be?

All I recall is that her name wasn't originally Lloth, but was Araushnee. She was Corellon's consort, and the patron of artisans. She attempted to invade Arvandor, he kicked her butt and out of the Seldarine.

Was she previously kept out of Arvandor, or was she simply trying to take it over?

Were the "dark elves" physically the same before the Descent?

The Wood Elves that fought on the side of the Drow, what happened to them?

Were the Matrons in charge of the Ilythiir, before the Crown Wars?

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  05:58:21  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Were the "dark elves" physically the same before the Descent?

I found that they were altered physically during the 4th Crown War, just before the Descent.

With each subrace having a distinct appearance, what did the "dark elves" look like before? I've only ever seen them refered to as "dark elves", including before they were physically changed. Could they have always been a smokey grey color, and were just "darkened"? =)

Imagine waking up as a dark elf the morning after that ritual occurred.

Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Edited by - Wenin on 08 Mar 2007 05:59:53
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  16:04:54  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think they had solely matrons before the descent. There are a couple famous generals etc. who were male noted so I think that shows how men did have roles in positions of authority.
I believe Syorpirr is a realm, they should all be found in LEoF.
The Wood elves that fought along the Ilythiiri were from that realm. They were essentially the same as. I presume however that they were horrified by their fellows' brutality and left before the dark disaster or else it wouldn't have been solely a racial but national trigger for the spell.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  18:12:22  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Men have military roles of authority in current Drow society, they just don't have absolute authority.

-11,600 - During Second Crown War - Ilythiiri burn Syorpiir to the ground. (Taken from timeline)
On page 54, it says:
quote:

Ilythiir's savage wiped out Thearnytaar, Eielhir, Syorpiir, and Orishaar, and the dark elves continued to conduct brutal raids against the elves of Keltomir for the next twelve hundred years.

You burn cities to the ground, but in the paragraph above Syorpiir and the others are mentioned along side Orishaar. Orishaar is a realm. It's confusing without a map. =(

On the Wood Elves, the high clerics and mages that caused the physical change on the dark elves didn't avoid innocent lives. I suppose it could be possible that doing it on a national level wasn't possible, so they resorted to racial, conseqences be damned. =) If that's true, than they couldn't target "Wood Elves". I think it is safe to assume that there were far more innocent than guilty among all wood elves.

I would guess that the wood elves that were involved were hunted down.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  19:06:13  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thearnytaar, Eiell#369;r, and Sy#328;rpiir were are realms, made up of Elven settlements. The War of Three Leaves, pervented these lessor realms from combining to become a greater Elven realm.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  19:38:18  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
War of Three Leaves? Where is that lore covered? =)

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  19:55:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

War of Three Leaves? Where is that lore covered? =)

Well a quick link is http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050202a&page=4 a timeline, that even offered a date for " The War of the Seldarine begins. Araushnee is cast down into the Demonweb Pits, where she becomes the demon-goddess Lolth. "

I do not believe the War of Three Leaves has any indepth treamentment, it appears to get passing references for the most part, as far as I know.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  20:27:23  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sigh....

I need a vacation. I'm embarassed that I missed that Araushnee reference. =( Blah

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2007 :  02:31:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The info you seek can be found in the "Cormanthyr" accessory. The pre-Descent dark elves are desrcibed as "dusky" which I always assumed meant tanned/dark olive complexion.

And yes, the Ilythiiri corrupted many elves ... as you will see ... and a few other races ... as you will also see.

Oh, and I'd have the Ilythiiri as slightly more patriarchal than your standard, modern drow societies.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  17:57:25  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As has been said, Cormanthyr has all the history on the Crown Wars and is available as a free download over at the Wizards' main site.

Araushnee was cast inot the Abyss, the Demonweb was her creation after conquering vast stretches of the Abyss, no mean feat by a lesser deity on her own.

The Crown Wars' events were also retold and updated in Lost Empires of Faerűn, though you get a good enough insight if you check Brian James' "Grand FR Calendar" on the main site of Candlekeep.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gćđ a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerűn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  20:12:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

As has been said, Cormanthyr has all the history on the Crown Wars and is available as a free download over at the Wizards' main site.

And that website is the Wizards downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000