Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Saurials?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

umari24
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  09:07:28  Show Profile  Visit umari24's Homepage Send umari24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello everyone,
Not sure if this is the right spot. If it isn't I apoligze profusely.
I am pertty new to FR and I had a question concerning the Saurials. I recently finished re-reading The Finder's Stone books, I was curious to know if there are any plans to give Saurials more of a presence in the realms? And is there going to be any novels written exclusive about a saurial main character?

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  09:15:03  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you might want to check this PDF out

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040717a

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  09:22:27  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think there will be much mention of the saurials in future novels, unless there comes one from Grubb and Novak. With exception of a few mentions in general 2ed. products the Web enhancement Dargoth gave the link to is the only mentions of Saurials I can think of.

P.s. There is also one more Alias and Dragonbait book The Night masks, in the Harper series, but it is long out of print.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  11:18:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

P.s. There is also one more Alias and Dragonbait book The Night masks, in the Harper series, but it is long out of print.

Actually, it was called Masquerade.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  12:16:25  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by Wooly Rupert.
Actually, it was called Masquerade.

That should teach me not to answer questions in the morning whilst distracted. Sorry umari24, Wooly is of course right, I meant Masquerade.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  16:22:58  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saurials (and Alias-clone templates) are detailed in the Bestiary of the Realms by Eric Boyd and Tom Costa
(there is a link floating around on the forum somewhere, I couldn't find it last time I referenced this and Wooly did so he knows what to do )
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  17:44:21  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless someone beats him to it: Bestiary of the Realms II

And for good measure: Bestiary of the Realms I

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  22:26:10  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1-0 to Kajehase.

The race is on....
Go to Top of Page

umari24
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  00:01:33  Show Profile  Visit umari24's Homepage Send umari24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone! The web enhancement was great and those beastiaries as well! It is a bit disappointing that the saurials aren't going to be in anymore novels. They are one of my favorite "new" races. Masquerades.....and its long out of print now that is a bigger disappointment...oh well....I guess I will have to write my own story about a saurial main character then..lol! A saurial warlock....one of my favorite races and favorite new class.......
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  20:02:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, with all the 'draconic' templates flying about lately, saurials have taken a back seat. I always thought of them as FR's answer to the Draconians in DL, so obviously the new templates are taking precedence.

Just my take, for what its worth.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  23:01:04  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That and there really aren't many Saurials around outside (forget the name, Hidden/Lost Vale or something?). Also I think Saurials aren't native to Faerun, though it's been a number of months since I read the finders stone trilogy.

More importantly, there will never be a Saurial cooler than Dragonbait so it's sorta ruined ever playing one lol
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  00:46:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

That and there really aren't many Saurials around outside (forget the name, Hidden/Lost Vale or something?). Also I think Saurials aren't native to Faerun, though it's been a number of months since I read the finders stone trilogy.

More importantly, there will never be a Saurial cooler than Dragonbait so it's sorta ruined ever playing one lol

The Lost Vale is the place.

I liked Grypht, too. I wouldn't mind playing a hornhead spellslinger...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

umari24
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  01:39:53  Show Profile  Visit umari24's Homepage Send umari24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree the draconic templates have put them on the back burner and that isn't cool. I like the templates but the Saurials are cool. Dragonbait and Grypht are cool. I wouldn't mind playing a Saurial wizard or psion. Sigh.....poor forgot saurials
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  07:34:26  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Saurials were brought to Faerun by Moander from a different world and can only be found in the Lost Vale.

As much as I liked both Dragonbait and Grypht, I wouldn't mind seeing a Bladeback mystic or priest. I can just see him wandering against the sunset as the Mystics in the Dark Crystal.

I still have nightmares about that annoying Flyer wizard a player of mine used about ten years ago though.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  00:18:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You mean you never heard of his younger sister, Jailbait?

Sorry, just had to go there.

I remember a little something, I think from the Dalelands supplement. Don't they live in one of the Dales now? I believe it was one of the 'Lost' Dales.

Lost Vale = Lost Dale? Anyone?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  00:41:36  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the former Tarkhaldale, which fell before the raising of the Standing Stone (though FRS1 oddly seems to place it more recently) and was settled by Saurials in the Year of the Turret.

Edited by - Faraer on 03 Feb 2007 00:42:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000