Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Is it just me...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  20:00:38  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

I just wait until someone comes up with d20 Vietnam or something. Recon back in the day was wrong enough. There are just some things that shouldn't be touched in a RPG, at least that's my opinion

Then I guess you won't like hearing that someone already did d20 Afghanistan. Not to mention d20 Abortion (a real book, I'm sorry to say).

I think the whole OGL thing has gotten a trifle out of hand.
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  20:06:34  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Also I have no idea what this means, but is it accusing Nazis of witchcraft??
quote:
Interlaced with these core products will be numerous other products, designed to tie the war into RPGObjects' existing d20 Modern lines: books on Nazi Mysticism to allow you to better use Blood and Relics with our WWII books;

I've personally not done any research on the matter, but the idea that the Germans were researching the supernatural during WWII is something I've seen before. While I've also seen references to both the US and Russia doing at times since then, there does seem to be a certain fascination with the idea of WWII Germany doing it. I'm not sure if this is because they did look in that direction, or if it was just rumored that they did, but I know I've seen references to this pop up in various fantasy and sci-fi novels. Heck, I've even incorporated the idea into the backstory of this urban fantasy mage organization I've been fiddling with.

Ah, Nazi Occultism, one of my favorite weird topics.

Himmler used to decapitate pure-blooded Aryan SS men to use to use their noggins to contact the Ascended Eastern Masters in the mountains of Tibet. He also tried a scheme to reanimate dead soldiers as zombies towards the end of the war (no kidding, he did it).

Himmler also had a special group within the SS-Ahnenerbe, "Special Action Group Witchcraft", who researched witch trials in Germany in hopes of reclaiming lost Aryan sorcerous lore.

And on the other side of thing, while there were no real Nazi werewolves, Stalin did try crossbreeding humans and apes (and even dogs!) to produce beastmen hybrids to populate Russia. It didn't work.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  23:44:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

I just wait until someone comes up with d20 Vietnam or something. Recon back in the day was wrong enough. There are just some things that shouldn't be touched in a RPG, at least that's my opinion

Then I guess you won't like hearing that someone already did d20 Afghanistan. Not to mention d20 Abortion (a real book, I'm sorry to say).

Whoa.

All politics surrounding abortion aside, I suppose there some out there who would love to roleplay characters immersed in that controversy, I'm just not one of those people.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  23:51:27  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir
And on the other side of thing, while there were no real Nazi werewolves, Stalin did try crossbreeding humans and apes (and even dogs!) to produce beastmen hybrids to populate Russia. It didn't work.

That's so awesome
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  08:45:48  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have experience with a world war II rpg called Godlike. In godlike you play a kind of "ubermensch", a talented soldier. Talented are just people who have special talents like "Der Flieger" (he is a German, nazi talented who can fly and the first talented that is recorded). Godlike is semi-realistic. the player kill ratio is very high (session one --> 2 soldiers dead (of the 4). So the bad thing is that you don't survive long with a character ... at least we didn't survive long. (We played the landing on Sicily and my character was a Canadian soldier (he died), my second an Englishman)

I don't have any problems with WO II games, and I'm sure you don't find much neo nazi's playing WO II rpg's or pc games so ... :-). A few years ago I played also WO II shoot em ups online. I played on the side of the allies and axies either, and I never saw a neo nazi online. At RPG I don't think it's bad if you play a German campaign where you have to fight against the allies. So long if your players (and game master) is mature enough to handle the matter seriously.

Otherwise,Mace Hammerhand, I just saw you are a German Don't be afraid that people gonna think that all Germans are nazi scum by playing such games. As a Flemish guy I can tell you that we had in our history a lot of more troubles with the French than with the Germans. (just like the Scots against the English --> don't shoot me Delzounblood )Otherwise my own grand-grandfather is a survivor of the concentrationcamps (NO he was not a jewd ("Juden" in German or how the hell do you write that word in English , and in my family nobody still blame the Germans

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  19:30:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heck, I have no small amount of German blood in me, so if I thought all Germans were bad/Nazis I'd be sorta-kinda insulting myself.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000