Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Best FR-Novel first half of 2006
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  15:58:20  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
I figured I'd split this year up in two halves to make sure all novels can be fitted into the poll (which wasn't possiblein 2004 or 1005).

Might I suggest that anyone who votes also make a top-3-list, so that a novel that's everyone's second favourite doesn't miss out on recognition as well.

Oh...and if anyone want to comment on the books here, please stick to commenting on what was good with the book you voted for. There are other threads more suited for giving critique - in this one we only allow gushing praise

And finally, to avoid misunderstandings, I've only included novels originally published in January 2006 to June 2006 - so re-issues or paperback publications of novels published in hardback before are not included.

Choices:

Son of Thunder by Murray JD Leeder
Realms of the Elves edited by Phil Athans
Vanity''s Brood by Lisa Smedman
Bladesinger by Keith Francis Strohm
The Ruin by Richard Lee Byers
Final Gate by Richard Baker

(Anonymous Vote)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  15:59:35  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And my To-3 is
1. Vanity's Brood
2. The Ruin
3. Final Gate

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  22:24:39  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, having only read one of the choices, I had to give Final Gate the nod. But I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  23:51:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can I vote for the worst?!

No, no...my vote went to The Ruin.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  00:42:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't really decide here. My growing dislike of RSE's immediately strikes both The Ruin and Final Gate from the listing.

I haven't read Bladesinger and I have yet to reach Vanity's Brood.

So, I'd say it's a tie with Son of Thunder and parts of Realms of the Elves.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  01:44:08  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Final gate

Bladesinger

then realm of elves.

I have not had the chance to read the others on this list though, but her's my vote
Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  11:38:30  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A much easier choice than your poll for the second half of the year, i was waiting for Vanity's Brood for a long time and it didn't disappoint me. The only one to come close was Realms of the Elves, but only parts of that really pleased me.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  12:55:34  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot believe how far behind I am with reading FR novels. The number of books I read last year where many, 10 or so and that is a whole bunch at least for me, but none of them are on the list for the second half and the only one that is on this list, Realms of the Elves, I have not finished yet.

$&%/, for Oghma's sake, I will never catch up!

I did not vote, based on my lack of ability to compare these books.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  15:38:07  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Vanity's Brood

Final Gate and the Ruin were spectacular in some other way

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  00:55:32  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Realms of the Elves is the only novel from this list that I've read. So that's my vote.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  02:06:12  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. The Ruin
2. Son of Thunder
3. Bladesinger

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  05:02:17  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have only read Son of Thunder and Bladesinger from the list. I enjoyed both but my vote went to Son of Thunder. ~sigh~ I really need to catch up on the newer stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  22:29:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm reading Vanity's Brood right now, and in retrospect that book might have gotten my vote (I like it that much), but I'm not changing it now. Suffice it to say it's a worthwhile read.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  14:17:35  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bladesinger is my choice. I loved the story and the characters.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  17:54:02  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Son of Thunder, but could have chosen Vanity's Brood just as easily. I guess I'll go Final Gate for my third. Did anyone else need like 20 minutes to choose? Jack Bauer I am not.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000