Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New deity?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  05:50:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
You know, I've never seen anyone discuss Valigan Thirdborn, a lesser deity of anarchy that Tyr slew, according to Faiths & Pantheons.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  05:59:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's actually been discussed a few times, usually in association with Jhaamdath.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  06:06:54  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Eric

Faithes and Pantheons says Tyr killed a deity called Valigan Thirdborn. All we know is that he was a Lesser Power and he was a God of Anarchy (Im assuming he was CN)

Do we have any other infomation on this deity?

Portfolios and Domains (other than Anarchy?), Alignment, History etc

I asked Ed about Valigan but he said he was "Your baby" but he was keen to hear what you had Valigan Thirdborn

Quote taken from
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3803
---------------------------------------------------------
quote]Originally posted by edbonny

quote:
Originally posted by daarkknight

Ed,

I've been reading about Tyr once again from Faiths & Pantheons to assist a player who worships the Maimed God, and I've come across the reference to Valigan Thirdborn, a lesser deity of anarchy who rose to power in -269. It states that his rise to power coincided with the ascendance of Exarch Thelasand IV, who pushed Emperor Dharien (or is it Dhorien) to war with the elves.

Do you have any information that you've come up with concerning this Exarch Thelasand IV? Just curious.

Thanks,
Paul

Hey Paul,

I had overlooked the Valigan-Exarch connection although it clearly is part of the tale of Jhaamdath's destruction (and Tyr's arrival and subsequent involvement with the empire's fragmented survivors.)

At the time of Valigan's "appearance" in Jhaamdath, Auppenser's followers were being harassed, persecuted, and shut out by the more imperial-minded militants of the empire. Valigan could certainly have seen the imperial dreams of many Jhaamdathans as an opportunity to inject future chaos.

That would bring us to Thelasand. I do not see any true Jhaamdathan worshipping a god of chaos unless that god sought out someone receptive. Persecution can open the door to many unforeseen consequences. It seems very likely that the awful treatment "Auppenser-loyalists" received would inevitably give rise to a Jhaamdathan who was sorely disenchanted with the imperialists (in this case, Thelasand, an ancient noble family whose persistent devotion to Auppenser caused the family's recent downfall). Such a person would be perfect for Valigan to use as an agent of anarchy.

Valigan approached Thelasand. The god nurtured dreams of dismantling the harsh regime that was the cause of Thelasand's personal misery. Thelasand was offered revenge against the cruel imperialists and their ways. Bloodshed would, of course, be needed to free the region of Jhaamdath's lust for empire. But to accomplish this, it would be necessary to strike from within and on high. Thelasand would need to position himself to make this happen. He would need to be emperor if he were to bring down the empire.

And so from humble beginnings and with secret aid from Valigan, Thelasand feigned to be an imperialist as he rose his way up through the military and government. His military campaigns were conducted in ways that benefitted Valigan greatly by causing great carnage and devastation.

Flush with fame and military success, Thelasand easily gained access to the emperor and was able to influence him in matters of imperial policy. The imperial-minded Jhaamdathans were certainly open to most any option that enriched or empowered the empire (and also enrich the participants). The Valigan-inspired idea for an imperial navy, when proposed to the emperor by Thelasand, seemed to be a logical step to grow the empire. As for the elves whose forests would supply the ships' wood? The wholesale slaughter of elves would be a small if not inconsequential price to pay.

And so we come to the last days of the empire. Thelasand was no doubt highly pleased with himself. In a relatively short period of time, he became a powerful player in Jhaamdathan politics. In a year or two, he would be in a position to slay the emperor and take over Jhaamdath. Then he would begin his plans to dismantle the psionic empire, disband its armies, free the 12 cities, and throw the entire region into anarchy.

As mentioned earlier, persecution can open doors to unforeseen circumstances. While the Chondalwood was being ravaged, I doubt Thelesand foresaw the fast-approaching day when his empire would destroyed by elven high magic. I imagine that Valigan was well aware (if not thrilled) that Jhaamdath's doom was nigh.

In the end, both participants in this saga lost. Thelesand never realized his dreams to take down the imperialists. And Valigan's successful plans for anarchy would ultimately lead to his death at the hands of Tyr.

- Ed
[/quote]

Quote taken from
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3806&whichpage=5
---------------------------------------------------------

Valigan Thirdborn was a lesser deity of Anarchy when he was slain circa -247 DR by Tyr. Faiths & Pantheons mentions that Valigan Thirdborn had a rise in -269 DR in Jhaamdath during a time of upheaval.

This could mean that Valigan may have been just your run of the mill ascended mortal that obtained godhood sometime around -269 DR.

But Anarchy is a component of disorder, lawlessness... chaos. This is a primal concept. One would think there had been a god of chaos around since time immemorial.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  07:47:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

He's actually been discussed a few times, usually in association with Jhaamdath.

Indeed.

And Ed Bonny and Eric have discussed Valigan more than a few times here at Candlekeep. Eric's made a few notes over at WotC too.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  07:50:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess I just missed it then. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  07:56:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm sure you've likely taken Ed's and Eric's comments regarding Valigan, and compiled them as well.

I can pass along the more recent WotC posts too, in case you've missed them.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  11:14:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd like to see those, myself, since I no longer go to those forums.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  15:45:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ditto.

And I guess I just brain farted then and it didn't register who they were talking about. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  15:54:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Righto.

I may just compile the whole lot that I've picked up from the WotC boards since Kuje's departure and send them straight to Big Al so they can be added to the PDF/HTML compilations already available at Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  16:07:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Righto.

I may just compile the whole lot that I've picked up from the WotC boards since Kuje's departure and send them straight to Big Al so they can be added to the PDF/HTML compilations already available at Candlekeep.

Actually, why don't you send them to me so I can add them into the table of contents/index files that I created and then I'll code them up for Alaundo and then send all of it to him.....

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  23:38:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never even heard of that deity until reading this thread.

My, you learn new things every day!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  00:24:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Well, least I helped someone with my brain fart. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  00:32:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Righto.

Actually, why don't you send them to me so I can add them into the table of contents/index files that I created and then I'll code them up for Alaundo and then send all of it to him.....

Hmmm...

That may be for the best. I'll go through them when I get home...

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  00:35:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Well, least I helped someone with my brain fart. :)

Yes, indeed you did.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  20:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kuje just wanted to show off his supreme knowlegde. You taught me something new too Kuje. You have my thanks.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  22:50:29  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ditto.

You left the Wizards boards too?

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  23:52:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

quote:

quote:

Ditto.

You left the Wizards boards too?

Months ago, for reasons that I don't want to get into publicly. :)

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  01:13:16  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing to see here ya looky loos! There ya go Kuje.

Illum
The Wandering Mage

Edited by - Wandering_mage on 29 Nov 2006 02:18:21
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  01:38:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Post removed at the request of the OP.

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Nov 2006 02:32:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000