Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Its been a LONG time....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  20:02:11  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I used to post here many years ago, I was actually suprised to find this place still here!!! Congrats on the growth... I had a break in my other readings and picked up RotP and PotWK and knocked them out in about 4 days, got me interested in FR books again but im SOOO Behind....

whats good, whats not? where to begin? I stopped reading FR books after the Sembia Series was released (that being the last good thing i read from FR)I have and have read all of the old books (we can call it pre Sembia) and have not read anything post sembia

Thanks for the help as I gain my footing again after so many years.

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  20:34:20  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you liked the Sembia Series, then I guess Paul Kemp´s Erevis Cale trilogy (Twilight Falling, Dawn of Night, Mask of Midnight) might interest you.

Other than that there are some other good trilogies (Last Mythal - by Richard Baker, if you´re interested in elves; Year of the Rogue Dragons by Richard Lee Byers if you´ve always wanted to know, what makes the Dragon´s go beernuts once in a while; War of the Spider Queen - six novels dealing with Drow and a Lloth, that has gone silent ; Scions of Arrabar trilogy if you´re more into city-state mysteries & nefarious scheming for power).

Of the stand-alone novels published since then I would definitely recommend Steven Schend´s "Blackstaff", Eric Scott De-Bie´s "Ghostwalker" and Richard Lee Byer´s "Queen of the Depths". And, of course, if you like Ed Greenwoods style, then "Elminster´s Daughter" is one for you.

There are actually more novels I would recommend...but this is just a starter, since I don´t know what style you like.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~

Edited by - Dart Ambermoon on 02 Nov 2006 20:35:28
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  22:54:05  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

My word, now there's a name i've not seen in a very long time Welcome back, ArcticKnight. Glad to see ye return to the Realms, and to Candlekeep. Take a look around the novels section of the forum and indeed the novels section of the site, to get an idea of what new tomes are available and for recommendations.

IMHO, FR novel quality has been at a high for a good few years now

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  23:30:33  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And not forgetting Ed Greenwood and Elaine Cunningham's City of Splendors.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  00:21:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

My word, now there's a name i've not seen in a very long time Welcome back, ArcticKnight. Glad to see ye return to the Realms, and to Candlekeep.
Indeed.

Welcome back ArcticKnight.

quote:
Take a look around the novels section of the forum and indeed the novels section of the site, to get an idea of what new tomes are available and for recommendations.
Specifically, I would recommend you also take a look through the "Experienced help for recommending FR Novels" scroll located here:- http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4893

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  00:53:58  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
haha wow, I have had quite an enjoyable day reading all my posts from 3-4 years ago... man I was chatty back then : /

Thanks for the info and directions, i picked up the EC Trilogy today. I actually have all of the War of the SQ books in hardback just never finished reading them, I think I will go there next.

Cheers! I feel the obsession growing within (again)

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  04:00:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember you too. I agree that you may like City of Splendors: A Novel of Waterdeep.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  13:36:54  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Rinonalyrna, I hope I can still aquire that book in Hardback! ebay here I come, I suspect.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  21:47:00  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved Richard Lee Byers trilogy. It was great. Richard Baker's elf trilogy was very good as well. As for stand alones, I liked Blackstaff, Ghostwalker, Mistress of the Night, and Bladesinger very much. City of Splendors was very good as well and I'm not a fan of Mr. Greenwood's fiction.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000