Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Roll Call of Dragons Update
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  18:42:40  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Please reserve this scroll for posting updates and corrections to the Dragons of Faerun Excel file found here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060913a

Please post updates or corrections that include the content of ALL cells in a row. Please use "BLANK" for blank cells. I will periodically gather up suggested changes and additions, update my copy of the file, and pitch it to Wizards as an updated version.

General discussion should be reserved for another scroll.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  00:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leave it to me to spot this one:

Thauglorimorgorus, "The Black Doom," "Thauglor the Mighty," "The Purple Dragon" //BLANK//Dead //Male //great wyrm // black // Storm Horns //Defeated by Iliphar Nelnueve, slain by King Azoun I //Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 113, Cormyr: A Novel

Thauglor already had spawn (great-grandspawn, in fact) back in -400 DR (Cormyr: A Novel, ch. 1), when he was "getting old"--so old, in fact, that his scales were fading from their natural black to their famous yellow. Even if Thauglor had only been hatched in the year the chapter is set, he still would have been more than 1500 years old at the time of his death in 1018 DR: far more than old enough to have reached "great wyrm" (1201 yrs) status. Frankly, I'm inclined to make him an advanced great wyrm for my own purposes (he's far older, and certainly larger, than any other black dragons), but from purely the canon lore, he's a great wyrm.

Edited by - Garen Thal on 15 Sep 2006 00:32:59
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  01:05:53  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krazel

Blank/Female/Ancient/Green/Kryptgarden/Dungeon 26 page 9 of the FR module The Inheritence

Krazel is allied with the Hobgoblin tribe that appears in the module. It also mentions she has 3 children (Names not given)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  01:43:02  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Krazel

Blank/Female/Ancient/Green/Kryptgarden/Dungeon 26 page 9 of the FR module The Inheritence

Krazel is allied with the Hobgoblin tribe that appears in the module. It also mentions she has 3 children (Names not given)

Oh, one more point. We made a conscious decision not to include any references to "a red dragon lairing on this or that mountain". Only if the dragons warranted a name (even a goofy nickname) in the original references did we include it on the list.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  02:20:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Krazel counts (Because she has a name) but her unamed children wont?

Fair enough

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  03:41:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We had to do it that way because products like "Elminster's Ecologies" mention a bucket-load of unnamed dragons and it got a little too much. I had enough trouble coming up with names for all the nicknamed ones, let alone making up more names and details for yet another dross of faceless wyrms.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 15 Sep 2006 03:42:09
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  03:55:05  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After CoS:Web Enhancement and Blackstaff giving a mention to the rumored gold dragon from the Sleeping Dragon Inn in Rassalantar, I hoped that DoF would confirm or deny it

Edited by - Skeptic on 15 Sep 2006 03:55:23
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  04:24:33  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's one: Arethnektilhimon: CR 17 (Male Old Brass Dragon - Anauroch) page 115 DoF.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  06:42:48  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More Dragons

Srossar Blank/Dead?/Male/Ancient/Bronze/Phlan/Possessed by Tyranthraxus when he bathed in the Pool of Radience/ Ruins of Adventure page 5

Shaleen Blank/blank/Female/blank/Were Dragon (Song)/Moonshae isles/ Hall of the High King: various places throughout the module

Alghazh Blank/Living/Male/very young/green/Cormyr or South west Dalelands/ Appears in the module Shadowdale on page 23

Ulhindos /blank/living/female/Adult/Black/Cormyr or south west dalelands, Appears in the module Shadowdale on page 24 and can be summoned by a Cult of the Dragon follower named Maerhindors

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 15 Sep 2006 07:06:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  23:42:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the comics:

Murilantilathenes, "Muri"/blank/Living/Male/blank/bronze/blank/blank/Forgotten Realms comic, issue 5

Chlorahskiir/blank/Dead/Female/blank/green/base of a mangrove tree somewhere near Shadowdale/Slain by unnamed wizard/Forgotten Realms comic, issue 6

Argentorkillauri/blank/Living/Female/blank/silver/blank/blank/Forgotten Realms comic, issue 6

"Hedrick"/blank/Dead/Male/blank/black/blank/posed as a one-eyed Waterdhavian guardsman/Advanced Dungeons & Dragons comic, issues 27-30

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2006 :  23:58:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, are you interested in the dragons that are in the Spelljammer book Realmspace? I have the book and like it, but it's got some material that has since been invalidated by Realms-specific material, and it is a Spelljammer supplement...

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2006 :  00:31:16  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Eric, are you interested in the dragons that are in the Spelljammer book Realmspace? I have the book and like it, but it's got some material that has since been invalidated by Realms-specific material, and it is a Spelljammer supplement...

Yes. Post the references and I'll evaluate them later.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2006 :  01:21:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do you know, I was just thinking about Realmspace. Eric's scroll got me thinking about other obscure non-FR-tome Dragon references that noted dragons active in the Realms.

I also remember one dragon mentioned in Planes of Law (that the dragon was presently living in the Realms) that wasn't on the list.

Eric, are you interested in that reference as well?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2006 :  02:53:55  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Do you know, I was just thinking about Realmspace. Eric's scroll got me thinking about other obscure non-FR-tome Dragon references that noted dragons active in the Realms.

I also remember one dragon mentioned in Planes of Law (that the dragon was presently living in the Realms) that wasn't on the list.

Eric, are you interested in that reference as well?

Yes.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2006 :  04:41:58  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Eric - if one were to have tracked down a reference, and the reference only included a 'nickname' style name - shoule we leave the name blank, or could we suggest a suitable name?

Thanks!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2006 :  05:46:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
His 15 September 1:43 post seems to indicate that even if just a nickname is known, it's acceptable. One of the dragons I listed was never named, as a dragon -- the name given was the one he used in his human guise.

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2006 :  06:40:01  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I definately understood the inclusion of the nickname - but DoF mentions that if a Dragon was only known by a nickname - their 'real' name was revealed. So - the dragon I beleive to have found has a nickname, but no draconinc name - and was curious if I could suggest the actual draconic name to be used. :)

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2006 :  11:50:05  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

I definately understood the inclusion of the nickname - but DoF mentions that if a Dragon was only known by a nickname - their 'real' name was revealed. So - the dragon I beleive to have found has a nickname, but no draconinc name - and was curious if I could suggest the actual draconic name to be used. :)

Dhomal

Absolutely. But please indicate that you are doing so. (And if there's a translation from Dragon #260, please give it as well.)

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2006 :  12:36:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hells, if I'd've known I could do that, I would have suggested a name for Hedrick! Hmmm... I must ponder...

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2006 :  16:00:54  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric,
Another scribe brought this name up Guev'Ressunvee a male green dragon from the Green Regent setting, would you like to add him if we can find the necessary information? (surely someone played the rpga game and still have a copy of the necessary information)

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2006 :  16:21:04  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

Hey Eric,
Another scribe brought this name up Guev'Ressunvee a male green dragon from the Green Regent setting, would you like to add him if we can find the necessary information? (surely someone played the rpga game and still have a copy of the necessary information)

Yes. Please don't hesitate to just add stuff to this thread (rather than ask permission for new corner cases). I'll read through each proposal and decide in one fell swoop.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2006 :  15:20:25  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Borealis/CR 10/Dead/Male/Adult/White/Southern Arm of the Sword Mountains/Slain by the Order of the Jade Blade/LGR: Tour of Duty #17

Guev’Ressunvee “Green King”/blank/Living/Male/blank/Green/Astral Plane/Banished by Mielikki,He was the First Green Regent/LGR # 13 (Book Knowledge) & 18 (The Ruins of Karse), XGR #3 (Undermountain)

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Bakra on 05 Oct 2006 01:30:29
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2006 :  02:00:27  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xerxillis/CR 07/Dead/Male/Young Adult/Red/ GreypeakMountains/Slain by Order of the Jade Blade/LGR:#9 Denial of Resources

Infyrana “Furam the Deft”/Blank/Living/Female/Great Wyrm/Red/Formerly ‘Dragon Mountain’/Scarred nose from dwarven axe, Laired in a planeshifting mountain where she was defeated and now wanders the Realms/ Dragon Mountain Box Set

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2006 :  22:44:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it's been almost 2 months but:

I think this one is missing.

"Vaeros Fireshield", 11th Druid, Male Gold Dragon, TN, Mielikki, Initiate of the 11th Circle. Member of the Tall Trees, Champions of Valor.

Unless that's Aerosclughpalar, "Gildenfire".....

This one also might be missing:

Shianax, Female Young Adult Brown Dragon, NE, Guide of Durdyn's Devils as they explore Sonjar's Tower, Lost Empires of Faerun

Valdemar, Adult Green Dragon, LE, Found on Wyllowwood, Ruins of Undermountain II: Campaign.

Beryeya, Female Adult White Dragon, CE, Arguing with the two frost giants about a wagon, Ruins of Zhentil Keep: Adventures

Nyadnar, Gem Dragon, TN, Was Zaranda Star's mentor but flew off to the west, Lands of Intrigue: Book 1

Clematis, Faerie Dragon, Lives in the pixie village, The Mines of Bloodstone

Clematis, Faerie Dragon, Lives in the pixie village, The Throne of Bloodstone

Indanthrene, Faerie Dragon, Lives in the pixie village, The Mines of Bloodstone

Indanthrene, Faerie Dragon, Lives in the pixie village, The Throne of Bloodstone

Curcumon, Faerie Dragon, Lives in the pixie village, The Mines of Bloodstone

Curcumon, Faerie Dragon, Lives in the pixie village, The Throne of Bloodstone

(Kuje's Note: Now I don't own the third module of this trilogy, so I'm not sure if they appear in that module also. Maybe WOTC has one they are willing to research... or a poster can check?)

Cueperia, Baby Copper Dragon, Part of Alfrendo's Mythical Menagerie, Swords of the Iron Legion

Arctigis, Huge Ancient White Dragon, CE, Servitor of Zhengyi, The Throne of Bloodstone

Fyrillicus, the Abyssian Dragon, Red Dragon, CE, Patrols the wasteland. Abyss-bred, The Throne of Bloodstone

Kizzap Morueme, Very Old Blue Dragon, Lives in Morueme's Cave with his family, The Savage Frontier

Elrem, Great Wyrm, Guards the Great Wyrm Cavern, The Savage Frontier (Not sure if this one is a dragon but it seems like it should be...)

Srossar, Male Ancient Bronze Dragon, Possed by Tyranthraxus, Ruins of Adventures

Alghazh, Male Small Green Dragon, Spies on the PC's with a gem, Time of Troubles: Shadowdale

Ulhindos, Female Adult Black Dragon, Summoned by Maerhindor of the Cult of the Dragon, Time of Troubles: Shadowdale

Gaumahavi, Female Greater Purple Dragon, TN, Unique dragon, Storm Riders

Gaumahavi, Female Greater Purple Dragon, TN, Unique dragon, Black Courser

Gaumahavi, Female Greater Purple Dragon, TN, Unique dragon, Blood Charge

Shaleen, Female Weredragon, In the service to Flamsterd, Halls of the High King

Firebrand Flametongue, Male Red Dragon, Ex-mercenary that lives on Toril. Elminster teleported him to Coliar, Realmspace (Sage might have given you this one...)

Titan, Male Adult Blue Dragon, Mentioned in Edward Magney's entry, Port of Ravens Bluff

Aramag, Male Dragon Turtle, Considers the territory of the Sea of Swords north of Chult as his, The Jungles of Chult

Ashazstamn, Dracolich, Lairs in the Desertsmouth Mountains overlooking the Spiderhaunt Woods, The Dalelands

Shhuusshuru (Shadow-wing), Female Great Wyrm Shadow Dracolich, CE, Turned by the Cult of the Dragon, Book of Lairs

Greshrukk (Red Eye), Male Old Red Dracolich, CE, Being turned by the Cult of the Dragon, Book of Lairs

Emerash, Adult Green Dragon, LE, Lairs near Shadowdale, The Sword of the Dales

Awsidorg, Male Black Dragon, Lairs in the High Moor, Elminster's Ecologies: Appendix 11 (This might have been renamed to something else. I tried to find it using the search command but it came up with nothing)

Borcher, Male Bronze Dragon, Lairs in the Serpent Hills,Elminster's Ecologies: Appendix 11 (See above)

Chenowyn, Female Ruby Dragon, TN, Apprentice to Zaranda Star, Heroes Lorebook

Shadowdeath, Male Juvenile Shadow Dragon, CE, Lairs in the Tower of Ruin near Halfhap in Cormyr, Four from Cormyr

Timoni (Cuprantimonitinam), Male Young Bronze Dragon, Took the form of tressym. Acts as the familiar for Reverend Father Benetine Boldoran in the Cloister of St. Ramedar, Powers & Pantheons

Dheubpurcwenpyl, "The Honored Queen of the Depths", Female Great Wyrm Deep Dragon, Lairs in the Rift of Dhalnadar, Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark

Claugxinaurak, Venerable Green Dragon, Serves Tordynnar Rhaevaern as a steed. Lairs with the baelnorn in the the crypt in the heart of the Wood of Sharp Teeth, Cloak & Dagger

Zzygarn, Young Black Dragon, CE, Lairs in Vassa. Dragon of the Cult of the Dragon, Dungeon #53

Flameshoot, Male Adult Red Dragon, CE, Lairs in Vassa, Dungeon #53

Wyndfire, Mature Adult Red Dragon, CE, Lairs in Vassa. Dragon of the Cult of the Dragon, Dungeon #53

Snizzler, Mature Adult Red Dragon, CE, Lairs in Vassa. Dragon of the Cult of the Dragon, Dungeon #53

Glurgle, Young Adult Black Dragon, CE, Lairs in Vassa. Dragon of the Cult of the Dragon, Dungeon #53

Snunkweed, Young Adult Black Dragon, CE, Lairs in Vassa. Dragon of the Cult of the Dragon, Dungeon #53

Yellowbright, Female Young Topaz Dragon, CN, Lairs on the Sword Coast, Dungeon #64

Kai Chiang Lung, Male River Dragon, LN, Resides at the bottom of Lake Sari, Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms (Not sure if you want dragons of the other continents.)

Aja Pelima (Ajax Firestorm), Male Venerable Red Dragon, CE, Owner of Mad Aja's Magic for Fools & Simpletons in Huzuz, the City of Delights. Looking for the Haluraa skyship that is in one of the warehouses of the Al-Danafi family, City of Delights (See above)

Kame-Renn, Male Wyrm Lung Wang Dragon, TN, Officer of Qui, Test of the Samurai

Sawaka, Male Old Pan Lung Dragon, CN, Officer of Qui, Test of the Samurai

Anyo, Female Very Old Chaing Lung Dragon, LN, Resides in a cave, Test of the Samurai

Li Kit Su, Male Old Shen Lung Dragon, CN, Lives in the Yama-san river, Ninja Wars

Hokioptl, Very Young Tlalocoatl Dragon, LE, Lairs in Cavern F, Fires of Zatal

I might have repeated some of these that the other posters gave you, but I'm making sure that they are listed.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 26 Nov 2006 00:44:28
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2006 :  23:05:23  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I know it's been almost 2 months but:

"Vaeros Fireshield", 11th Druid, Male Gold Dragon, TN, Mielikki, Initiate of the 11th Circle. Member of the Tall Trees, Champions of Valor.

Unless that's Aerosclughpalar, "Gildenfire".....

That's old Gildenfire.

quote:
This one also might be missing:

Shianax, Female Young Adult Brown Dragon, NE, Guide of Durdyn's Devils as they explore Sonjar's Tower, Lost Empires of Faerun

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  05:06:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also Torm's Mount in Faiths & Pantheons. It's not given a name other then Torm's Mount.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  18:28:04  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Elrem, Great Wyrm, Guards the Great Wyrm Cavern, The Savage Frontier (Not sure if this one is a dragon but it seems like it should be...)

Can I use this opportunity to clarify something? All of my references said Great Worm, Great Worm Cavern, Great Worm Tribe, Elrem the Great Worm and so no. This was the case even as recently as Harley Stroh's story in Realms of the Dragons II.

Yet when Son of Thunder came out, I found that all my references to "the Great Worm" were changed to "the Great Wyrm." Is there some reference I missed?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  18:34:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Murray Leeder

quote:

Can I use this opportunity to clarify something? All of my references said Great Worm, Great Worm Cavern, Great Worm Tribe, Elrem the Great Worm and so no. This was the case even as recently as Harley Stroh's story in Realms of the Dragons II.

Yet when Son of Thunder came out, I found that all my references to "the Great Worm" were changed to "the Great Wyrm." Is there some reference I missed?

Well reading the Savage Frontier sourcebook from 1e or early 2e, says Wyrm which is why I put it as wyrm in my NPC file. I dunno, maybe TSR later changed it to worm..... and WOTC changed it back to wyrm? I dunno.

Edited by - Kuje on 27 Nov 2006 18:36:09
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  21:10:51  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well reading the Savage Frontier sourcebook from 1e or early 2e, says Wyrm which is why I put it as wyrm in my NPC file. I dunno, maybe TSR later changed it to worm..... and WOTC changed it back to wyrm? I dunno.

Ah, interesting! Looking through the Savage Frontier, Elrem is referred to as the Great Worm many times, and as "a Great Wyrm" only once. This appears, however, to be a reference to his age, not his name.

As for whether or not he's a dragon, he's referred to by the implausible adjective "dragonish." Under the 3rd Edition's literal categories of what does and does not a dragon make, I suspect he qualifies.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  21:18:20  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah, interesting! Looking through the Savage Frontier, Elrem is referred to as the Great Worm many times, and as "a Great Wyrm" only once. This appears, however, to be a reference to his age, not his name.

As for whether or not he's a dragon, he's referred to by the implausible adjective "dragonish." Under the 3rd Edition's literal categories of what does and does not a dragon make, I suspect he qualifies.

Personally, I always remembered the "Great Worm" spelling. From that I deduced he was more of a serpentine creature and less of a true dragon per se. (Although, in 3e, I agree, he was probably of Type dragon.)

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  22:16:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Personally, I always remembered the "Great Worm" spelling. From that I deduced he was more of a serpentine creature and less of a true dragon per se. (Although, in 3e, I agree, he was probably of Type dragon.)

--Eric

Well, in the same write up in Savage Frontier, he also has the Wyrmguards. So, TSR used both terms for him. Dunno, confusing a bit since the cave is called the Worm Cave but he has Wyrmguards. :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000