Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 The Silver Marches - How do you rate it?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  20:51:10  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Being in the UK, The Silver Marches is still not available (and its driving me mad as im looking forward to this product almost as much as I looked forward to the FRCS!)

For those of you who have it already, how do you rate it as an FR 3rd Ed. product? Does it meet your requirements? Is the artwork and content as good as you expected? Im so anxious to get this product, I just hope im not disappointed.

In particular Im looking for heavy detail on the settlements and land descriptions of the Silver Marches. Hopefully some town maps etc. ?

Thanks

Rad

Bragi
Seeker

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2002 :  21:09:00  Show Profile  Visit Bragi's Homepage Send Bragi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Silver Marches is a great product, with lots of regional detail. I'd give it a 9/10 overall. The only thing I was disappointed in was the map. Its half the size of the other maps and the little city maps don't give much detail. I'd really like to have seen some street names on there.

A lot of the stuff has been updated and revised from the old FR5 The Savage North, along with some new content as well. I really like the random weather tables provided.

I don't usually use the adventures in accessories so I can't really comment on that part of it.

If you want to read a detailed review of the product check out this review posted on enworld

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of Erin
Go to Top of Page

Fransys
Acolyte

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2002 :  13:57:23  Show Profile  Visit Fransys's Homepage Send Fransys a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in the UK too.
WOTC's distribution to the UK ( or lack of ) sucks big time.
So much Sean for asking us to support the FR product line. Wish I could.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2002 :  14:21:20  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldnt agree more Fransys!
This is what i hate about it all. Its frustrating when you visit the official Wizards site, see all the Web Enhancements and such for a product, everyone in the US talks about it.....and months later we get a trickle of a few copies over in the UK.

Im sure weve seen this kind of thing before with TSR! Why is there such a problem with distribution outside of the US?? I really dont think that WotC US understand that D&D is a WORLDWIDE hobby! Such delays as this only anger the fans! Its certainly got my back up, its only a few weeks ago that i picked up a copy of the Wizardwar novel, after it was released back in March!!

Go to Top of Page

Celebrant Moonflower
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2002 :  06:47:21  Show Profile  Visit Celebrant Moonflower's Homepage Send Celebrant Moonflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try online sources such as amazon.com if you are having a hard time finding a particular book in your area. Sure it's a hassle sometimes but who wants to wait?

When has truth been utterly devoid of paradox?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2002 :  15:30:05  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If only it were that simple
Amazon.co.uk state that Silver Marches is "currently on order and we expect to have it within 1-2 weeks"! Its not just hobby stores that arent receiving goods from WotC, even online stores are being blanked out! This really isnt good for the D&D hobby internationally. WotC need to sort themselves out!

Go to Top of Page

Rat
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2002 :  23:46:37  Show Profile  Visit Rat's Homepage Send Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As mentioned before, try amazon.com instead of amazon.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  13:36:25  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To get back to the topic, I think Silver Marches is an excellent product in the new line of FR material being released from WotC.

It covers a lot of detail on a social level, a geographical level as well as describing the (tense) relations between the members of the aliance. The whole book paints the right atmosphere for the area.

I agree with the comment on the map, yet then again, I could envision myself wishing for even more detail then streetnames. ;) Overall I'd rate it somewhere between an 8 or 9 out of 10.

I know WotC had anounced another regional supplement and that they (initially) would leave it at that. I hope they will return from that statement and cover more areas of Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2002 :  19:55:32  Show Profile  Visit Ghost's Homepage Send Ghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it alot. It contains enough information to run games in the area, without restrainig you. Besides, chances are one of your players also owns the book, so what's the use of fully describes secrets?

YOU are in control!

The way of a superior man are three-fold;
virtuous, he is free from anxieties;
wise, he is free from perplexities;
bold, he is free from fear. ~ Confucius
Go to Top of Page

skathros
Acolyte

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  21:04:56  Show Profile  Visit skathros's Homepage Send skathros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing is for sure...eversince FR came out with it's "Grey Box", the setting and support products have almost always been the best around. SM is no exception do this. Its one of the latest in a long line of "well done", beutifully crafted Realms books.

"...his people lamented him ever after and took no king again"-The Silmarillion.
Go to Top of Page

Phineas of Oghma
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2003 :  22:51:18  Show Profile  Visit Phineas of Oghma's Homepage Send Phineas of Oghma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've found Silver Marches to be a very good product. My next FR campaign will very likely be set there. The artwork is fabulous. As usual, books of this caliber cost quite a bit of cash, but this one is worthwhile.

A slight tangent: I'm intrigued by the connecting thread between the product and R.A. Salvatore's The Thousand Orcs. Silver Marches seems to insure that Bruenor Battlehammer will indeed become the 10th King of Mithral Hall and will be its representative in the Silver Marches. I'm amused to think of our grumbling dwarf wading through even more stuffy politics
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  15:45:29  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by skathros

One thing is for sure...eversince FR came out with it's "Grey Box", the setting and support products have almost always been the best around. SM is no exception do this. Its one of the latest in a long line of "well done", beutifully crafted Realms books.

Just stumbled across this old scroll, which gives off a powerfull feeling of nostalgia!

And it made me wonder if we will be talking like this in 5 years about new Realms products?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 15 Sep 2008 15:46:42
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  16:23:05  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What new Realms products? Realms articles in Dragon etc, sure, but WotC aren't producing any supplements for FR any more.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  19:37:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StarBog

What new Realms products? Realms articles in Dragon etc, sure, but WotC aren't producing any supplements for FR any more.

No supplements, ever??

Wow, that's something to think about.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  19:46:46  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, they're doing one campaign setting a year, producing only a Campaign Guide, Player's Handbook and an adventure for the setting. All other information will be via the web articles.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  21:10:40  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart
All other information will be via the web articles.

I dont think thats a wise decision since - I guess - the majority of the games do not involve people having a PC running all the time. You cant really go everywhere if you "need" something like that to reference stuff. Real books beat a PC screen in "readability" and only quick searching functions are an advantage of a PC. Well I count it as a "sign of the times" and yet another reason why our societies go down the drain.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  23:47:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora
Well I count it as a "sign of the times" and yet another reason why our societies go down the drain.

Well I wouldn't go that far...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2008 :  00:12:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Books' are the life-blood of the RPGer.

The fact that WotC doesn't recognize this shows just how far from reality they have divorced themselves.

RPG players have always been about their books - PHYSICAL tomes you can carry around and lord over everyone else who doesn't have them (yet).

How a Collectible-Cardgame Company managed to overlook that little nugget is beyond me.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Sep 2008 00:13:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2008 :  01:38:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, this side-discussion really does belong in it's own scroll. Let's keep the current scroll dedicated to the discussion of the Silver Marches tome.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kosta the Lich
Acolyte

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  12:19:59  Show Profile  Visit Kosta the Lich's Homepage Send Kosta the Lich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Being in the UK, The Silver Marches is still not available (and its driving me mad as im looking forward to this product almost as much as I looked forward to the FRCS!)

For those of you who have it already, how do you rate it as an FR 3rd Ed. product? Does it meet your requirements? Is the artwork and content as good as you expected? Im so anxious to get this product, I just hope im not disappointed.

In particular Im looking for heavy detail on the settlements and land descriptions of the Silver Marches. Hopefully some town maps etc. ?

Thanks

Rad

Hello, I have had my copy for some time and must say it is good stuff. One thing I mind is the lack of index, but that is probably all that I find wrong about that book. If you download the Savage Frontier and Volo's guide to the North from 2e (found on WotC website) it makes a great suplement.

Minsc and Boo stand ready to polish my boots.
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  16:37:44  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart
All other information will be via the web articles.

I dont think thats a wise decision since - I guess - the majority of the games do not involve people having a PC running all the time. You cant really go everywhere if you "need" something like that to reference stuff. Real books beat a PC screen in "readability" and only quick searching functions are an advantage of a PC.

A great big fat YES to all of that. Why is it assumed that all gamers are online 24-7?

Heck, I don't even have home internet access...
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2008 :  19:12:32  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the amount of detail in this book. It is very comprehensive. Clearly a lot of work went into its preparation.

However, it does not appear that enough work went into fact-checking it before it went to the printer. I'm a Drizzt buff, and I can see that there are several discrepancies with the established Drizzt lore from the novels here:
  • If this book covers the year 1372 DR, then why is Bruenor still missing his right eye and wearing a patch (p.77-78); it was healed back in 1364 DR in Passage to Dawn.

• A new cleric is invented to serve as High Cleric of the Hall here, for some unexplained reason completely disregarding Stumpet and Cordio (p.78).

• There is a mix-up about the mission to re-take Mithral Hall, claiming that it occurred in 1356 DR, though Streams of Silver and The Halfling's Gem indicate differently (rediscovery of MH = Spring 1356; retaking of MH = Spring 1357 DR; separated by the mission to rescue Regis throughout late 1356 DR). This mix-up bizarrely now appears to have become canon, based on AGHOTR/TGHOTR.

• Since when did Wulfgar actually "marry" Catti-brie (p.96); he was abducted back when they were only engaged to be married (The Legacy), and when he returned to the Companions for a few months there was already chemistry between Cat and Drizzt (PTD); and he was such a depressed wreck that nobody really knew how to approach him, and then he punched Cat in his confusion (The Silent Blade)?

I haven't finished reading the sourcebook completely, but allegedly there is some disagreement between the description of the rise of the League of Silver Marches here and the description of related events in "The Hunter's Blades Trilogy". I dunno.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2008 :  23:35:09  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silver Marches is awesome. Buy it!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  02:18:56  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Absolutely! A FR must-have source book. Even though I converted to 4E, I use my copy all of the time.

Edited by - scererar on 27 Oct 2008 02:20:05
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  06:38:34  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

quote:

Absolutely! A FR must-have source book. Even though I converted to 4E, I use my copy all of the time.

...and I think it's the only 3.X sourcebook with weather tables right? (hmm... perhaps Shining South as well... can't remember with all that new Paizo stuff crowding my head! )
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  06:53:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shining South does have weather tables. As does the Anauroch adventure module, though they deal more with the effects of the harsh desert climate.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  00:23:26  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there a couple 3E supplemental source books as well - Frostburn, and Sandstorm for example.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  22:24:38  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

there a couple 3E supplemental source books as well - Frostburn, and Sandstorm for example.

...none of which are directly applicable to the Realms or its canon. These are Core products. Silver Marches has a weather section and therefore solidified a canon weather pattern for this region. I find that this region-specific weather table was an amazing feature, and would come in handy for anyone running a campaign in the Silver Marches.
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  16:00:35  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[/quote] I find that this region-specific weather table was an amazing feature, and would come in handy for anyone running a campaign in the Silver Marches.
[/quote]

Indeed it has PDK, many times to the detriment of my players

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  02:10:02  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't like Silver Marches on the whole. Too many conflicting bits of information makes things confusing. Still, it had lots of good bits as well.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000