Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Suggestions for a new player?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  23:21:01  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings all,

I am keen to get my future wife into AD&D and the FR in particular...she's already enjoyed playing a lot of Fantasy computer games (normally Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings adaptations), and I've dug out ye olde Warhammer Quest which she really enjoyed, and managed to pick up the rules after the first couple of games.

We're very far apart (she lives in the US, I in England for the moment), but I'm making plans for the next time we meet in a month or so....I was thinking of using Baldur's Gate as a starter, and then lending her my copy to continue to play on in the meantime, as that would hopefully pique her interest enough to want to learn more about the Forgotten Realms, and have a basic understanding of the rules etc.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome - we're not sure where we'll be moving to eventually, but once we do we'll look at hooking up with a good gaming group there, or starting a new one.

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  23:24:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How interested is she in reading? Any chance you could interest her in novels? The other thing I was thinking of is there a chance that you may be able to just buy her a copy and play with her online?
Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  19:00:20  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately she isn't into reading that much...partly because she already has a stack of books on the go (including some which I got her for her first Valentines Present...and she's never forgiven me since LOL). Might look at some PBEM or suchlike as an option.

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  19:09:25  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you like have a look at my campaign logs, they are taken from the PBEM game I'm running at the moment.
Given you're so far apart it may be an option you have to play together, and I personally think that whilst slow it allows a much fuller look at the realms, as you have the time to write creatively and time to think more deeply about the characters.

If you wish so I'm happy to include you both in the emails I send out so you both can see how it all works. I already have one lurker on there (and one turned player )
Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2006 :  00:12:09  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the offer Kaladorm - feel free to add me (cyrusthevirus_uk@yahoo.com) to the mailing list. She doesn't get to check her email too often due to limited computer access at the moment, but hopefully that'll change when we get a place together and can both share my computer.

(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000