Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 People's Adventuring Preferences
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  01:45:23  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
I was just curious as to what type of games people like to play. Below I will describe what I feel common campaign styles. If you select "Other", please describe the style of game you enjoy the most. Thanks.

Major Epic Scope Single Adventure: One uber-long adventure taking PC's from low level to high level. Think Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil or Lord of the Rings style game.

Single Plot, Multiple Adventure Campaign: One major plot line for the campaign but consisting of multiple adventures. Something like, find the 7 pieces of this all powerful artifact. Each piece is in a different part of Faerun and will take at least 7 adventures to complete the major plot.

Series of Multiple "Un-related" Adventures tied into one Campaign Plot: PC's complete a series of "unrelated" adventures for various (or single) employers. Multiple adventures are then tied in together in one final plot.

Ongoing Multi-Plot, Multi-Adventure Campaign: PC's complete a series of unrelated adventures that have nothing to do with eachother. PC's simply take the best job offered to them at varying difficulties until they decide to retire.

Choices:

Major Epic Scope Single Adventure Campaign
Single Plot, Multiple Adventure Campaign
Series of Multiple "Un-related" Adventures tied into one Campaign Plot
Ongoing Multi-Plot, Multi-Adventure Campaign
Other
No Preference

(Anonymous Vote)

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  05:40:35  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good question. I don't subscribe to the whole conspiracy theory plotlines. I may tie in several adventures, or link what has gone on in the past with later adventures, but most PC's are mercenaries! They fight for experience and gold.
That said, the PBeM campaigns I'm a party to usually focus on the story, so everthing should tie in with an overall story by the time the characters reach epic levels.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Endrik Claymore
Acolyte

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  03:37:37  Show Profile  Visit Endrik Claymore's Homepage Send Endrik Claymore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been trying some sort of epic plots. The characters are already high level and they have a home base of sorts and there are layers of plot including political intrigue in the land, personal plots and some minor old style questing plots but they all fit into the overall plot and it seems to flow together quite nicely.
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  05:42:32  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both major epic and un-related adventures...probably 'cos the DM manages to fuse both together somehow. One REALLY long adventure that actually turns out to be a series of mini adventures once you've done playing and thought back on it... How he does it, I don't know, but I like it.

Playing a winged dwarf with acrophobia is fun.
Go to Top of Page

Rudar Dimble
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  08:52:14  Show Profile  Visit Rudar Dimble's Homepage Send Rudar Dimble a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Major Epic Scope Single Adventure Campaign, but some of the other options are very welcome from time to time. You should only have a Major Epic Scope Single Adventure Campaign once in a long time and then some very short, single shot adventures to fill the gaps.

For instance, I probably wouldn't play a half-orc barbarian in a Major Epic Scope Single Adventure Campaign, but it's good fun to be a tank for one or two nights in a short adventure.

Jesus saves... and takes ½ damage
Go to Top of Page

Kiralari
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  02:34:48  Show Profile  Visit Kiralari's Homepage Send Kiralari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was forced to vote for other. The way we play is, I would have to say, closest to "Series of Multiple Unrelated Adventures tied into one Campaign Plot", but it's not really, because we get a choice as to what side of the plot we're going to be on, what missions we choose to take, who we serve, and sometimes, even double-deal and play both sides, as long as our characters can pull it off. We play pretty elaborate as you see.

Always be prepared. If it rains, be prepared. If a bear chases you, be prepared. If you get attacked by drunken Hoosiers, be prepared.
~~Love Ya!
~~Ann
Go to Top of Page

Rudar Dimble
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  16:20:36  Show Profile  Visit Rudar Dimble's Homepage Send Rudar Dimble a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiralari

I was forced to vote for other. The way we play is, I would have to say, closest to "Series of Multiple Unrelated Adventures tied into one Campaign Plot", but it's not really, because we get a choice as to what side of the plot we're going to be on, what missions we choose to take, who we serve, and sometimes, even double-deal and play both sides, as long as our characters can pull it off. We play pretty elaborate as you see.

Most interesting. Can you give an example?

Go to Top of Page

Kiralari
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  00:24:13  Show Profile  Visit Kiralari's Homepage Send Kiralari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, here's a good example. We came to this place where there was a lot of politcal intrigue running around, people disappearing, y'know, the whole set up for the multiple adventure single plot blah blah blah. Well, so we have the choice of like four different missions we can do. This one political guy wants to hire us to off this other guy who's opposing him. This other guy that we're sposed to kill wants to hire us to kill the political guy that's already hired us. Then we can go running off to this pirate cove that people keep disappearing to and see what's going on there...and that adventure leads us into the whole political issue from a different side, cause then we're becoming anarchists against the government. and there's one mission where we can just leave all this behind and completely shrug it off and not care since we're only mercs for hire anyway.

Good enough example for you Rudar?

Always be prepared. If it rains, be prepared. If a bear chases you, be prepared. If you get attacked by drunken Hoosiers, be prepared.
~~Love Ya!
~~Ann
Go to Top of Page

Rudar Dimble
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  08:03:39  Show Profile  Visit Rudar Dimble's Homepage Send Rudar Dimble a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alright, here's a good example. We came to this place where there was a lot of politcal intrigue running around, people disappearing, y'know, the whole set up for the multiple adventure single plot blah blah blah. Well, so we have the choice of like four different missions we can do. This one political guy wants to hire us to off this other guy who's opposing him. This other guy that we're sposed to kill wants to hire us to kill the political guy that's already hired us. Then we can go running off to this pirate cove that people keep disappearing to and see what's going on there...and that adventure leads us into the whole political issue from a different side, cause then we're becoming anarchists against the government. and there's one mission where we can just leave all this behind and completely shrug it off and not care since we're only mercs for hire anyway.

Good enough example for you Rudar?

...I guess

Go to Top of Page

Kiralari
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  13:56:06  Show Profile  Visit Kiralari's Homepage Send Kiralari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aww...what's that for Rudar? Don't you believe me?

~~Love Ya!
~~Ann
Go to Top of Page

Rudar Dimble
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  13:59:19  Show Profile  Visit Rudar Dimble's Homepage Send Rudar Dimble a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aww...what's that for Rudar? Don't you believe me?

Off course I believe you. I was just a lot of information on a very short notice... I had to read it two times before I could imagine how that went

Go to Top of Page

Kiralari
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2005 :  16:51:48  Show Profile  Visit Kiralari's Homepage Send Kiralari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was just a lot of information on a very short notice...

I'm sorry. Anyway, now that you've got it all, what do you think?

~~Love Ya!
~~Ann
Go to Top of Page

Rudar Dimble
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2005 :  09:05:18  Show Profile  Visit Rudar Dimble's Homepage Send Rudar Dimble a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it definately sounds interesting. I'd might give it a try sometimes. Just to see what my players think of it...

Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  15:08:36  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't find a particular category that describes my current campaign, so I chose other.

I'm sure to the players the adventures they are involved in look unrelated, but behind the scenes they are most definitely connected and future adventures will start disclosing what's going on.

So far they've driven off/defeated bandits cutting off a village from trade with other cities, rescued a young girl from some gnolls, and fought off an attempt by river raiders from boarding their barge. They have also learned that young women are disappearing from the streets of Yartar, and that there are slavers operating in the region to the north of that town, and orcs are moving south from the Evermoors as well.

What they don't know yet is all three are connected, being orchestrated by a couple of ruthless merchant-adventurers in Yartar, in conjunction with the frost giant incursion further north. The bandits were cutting off the land routes to the village so the merchants had exclusive trade rights via riverbarge, and were selling slaves to the orcs for gold and information. Meanwhile there is a wizard/slaver operating a festhall in Yartar kidnapping women for her customers, and secretly selling them to the trade merchant for shipping north up the river as well.

Now the PC's are showing up on the merchant's radar screen as becoming a major nuisance. Any further trouble and something will have to be done about them...
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  15:30:31  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Easy: Series of Multiple "Un-related" Adventures tied into one Campaign Plot.

I discussed what we wanted to include with my co-DM before the first session. We picked a location (Cormyr), a couple of villains we wanted to use (Cult of the Dragon, Zhentarim), and what kind of characters we wanted (pro-Obarskyr soldiers, war wizards and so on).
We encouraged the players to read Cormyr: A novel, and got started with new characters.

The campaign has turned into a mix of investigation of Cult of the Dragon plots, side-treks for the crown, personal stuff like evil brothers and missing love interests, and army manouvers.
Go to Top of Page

Imrahil
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  17:32:14  Show Profile  Visit Imrahil's Homepage Send Imrahil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting question.

I put "other". The type of campaign I like to run has unrelated adventures layered over the top of an encompassing story arc. One of my gamers calls it "X-Files" style. I like to always have a sense that there is some connection between stories, but some adventures are loosely tied to the story arc at best.

What I like about this is that the characters are never aware whether what they are doing is a stand alone adventure or a story-arc adventures. This allows from some interesting red herrings.

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
Study hard. Be evil.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  22:10:00  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose single plot,Multi adventure.Usually played over a few gaming sessions.That is my preference

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  02:25:58  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For my preference is that there is a main quest which is unchanged throughout the gameplay with a series of subquests unrelated to the main quest or otherwise called series of unrelated adventures tied into one campaign. Makes the gameplay more exciting and thrilling.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2005 :  07:50:05  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to go with "Single Plot, Multiple Adventure Campaign" because, being a person who loves his FR novels, this is the closest you can get to feeling like a major player in a novel. Part of this is probably because in my group there is hardly anyone with any imagination, and the few with imagination don't have a good grasp of the game rules. I tend to find myself being the only DM in the group to go all out in adventures to really put the feeling of "this isn't just a piece of paper, this is my character, a living [insert race here] with a mind and feelings of his/her own that are different from mine" (and regardless that DMing is fun, sometimes it's nice to just play a character without knowing exactly what's going to happen ). Also, because of this, I tend to enjoy reading more than D&D (which is sad ) which puts me in the position to want to be a novel character most of the time.

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire
Go to Top of Page

Ironstar
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2005 :  09:31:45  Show Profile Send Ironstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted multiple "unrelated" adventures tied into one campaign plot. I prefer a game where I may become or may not become a famous adventurer, like for example the characters in FR novels.

I like it often even more when I can play a hearty dwarf going "to do the job" for someone to get some money to spend for staying in inns and buy ale. I don't have an urgent need to become a famous character in some big event of Faerun's history.
Go to Top of Page

Sgain
Acolyte

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  21:24:58  Show Profile  Visit Sgain's Homepage Send Sgain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to like unrelated adventures that connect together somehow..its usually some NPC's that the players have met or ticked off somehow, or I have some other totally unrelated (til near the end) plot. This allows me a lot of freedom to put in plot twists, and other adventure hooks, but allows me to use the 'bad' guy from time to time to harrass/motivate the party.

Grand adventure/campaigns like the Giants, Slavers, Drow series from years ago were a lot of tun, but even moreso when mixed up with other plotlines. It made them feel more 'real' and less linear (the party didn't feel that they 'had' to do things, they felt more like they wanted to do them).

I also like the ideas of players changing their minds about how they are going to do something, they may decide that they aren't ready for something, or that they want to scout it out longer before getting involved. That makes sense to me and I try to be prepared for it.

I also use other adventures and then interconnecting them (I call it mod-bashing) so that they fit my campaign idea, the players may recognise certain things from other adventures (hooks, NPC's, locations) but they will also find lots of things have been changed by me to fit my plot.

Hope this answers the question.

cya
Sgain

Wanna play online? Try out Klooge! www.kloogeinc.com
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  04:28:15  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to do different things for different campaigns to keep things spicey.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  05:52:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Have you any particular examples to share?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  06:06:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Have you any particular examples to share?

Yes, and in what campaigns? Are you talking about the Realms only?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Decay9
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  22:55:48  Show Profile  Visit Decay9's Homepage Send Decay9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend towards playing nuetral characters, so I simply do whatever my character pleases, if she wants to be hired for money, she will, or otherwise she will simply go do her own thing. since I tend to choose what my character is up to, I tell the DM and he makes up the adventure, it is rarely ever all tied into one plot except with my epic character. and when I am traveling with other people, sometimes I will just branch off and do a few solo campaigns, then return to the group later on, or not.

-
Decay
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  00:52:06  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably a cross between options 3 and 4.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  18:23:28  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like longscale grand adventures. They give the opportunity do to rally dive deep into a plot...

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Never
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  00:31:26  Show Profile  Visit Never's Homepage Send Never a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's the campaign goal as well character specific adventures I make during creation. I also provide them with a far number of side quests, a few of which can end up affecting the main plot in significant ways. For instance, a rival poet breaks into a PC's house and burns their journals of poetry and part of the house. Looking into this reveals that the NPC stole a number of journals from the past year and burned the house to cover the theft. After recovering the journals, the PC finds several poems in their handwriting that they don't remember writing. These poems not only predict accurately what has happened and also detail events that haven’t happened yet.

I'm so, so very guilty for no reason or rhyme;
Infinite victims, infinitesimal time.
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  07:50:27  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer 'Ongoing Multi-Plot, Multi-Adventure Campaign'.
It´s just good.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Desolation
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  22:28:49  Show Profile  Visit Lord Desolation's Homepage Send Lord Desolation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the fly by the seet of your pants kind of adveneur. It makes things more interesting and you can stop playing after doing a particular job for a while. Its kind of like stopping on a chapter in a book and picking it up later.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die."
Go to Top of Page

Thysl
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  23:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Thysl's Homepage Send Thysl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I go for the Single plot, multiple 'adventures' idea; Mainly I steer ny PCs towards heroic PCs, not mercenaries. Heroes need epic adventure. That being said I am also VERY busy and need to utilize module adventures occasionaly. I'll slip the module into the plot continuaty(sp), and there we are...

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.
--Carl Jung
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000