Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Upcoming FR Novel Release Listing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Lord Nemes
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  00:59:08  Show Profile  Visit Lord Nemes's Homepage Send Lord Nemes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Can a lucky scribe who will receive is copy of The swords of Eveningstar in the next few days check for us if the titles of the next two books are, as usual, in the first pages of the book?

I know... I'm curious...

Thanks!

Lord Nemes
Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  02:42:26  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Nemes

Hello,

Can a lucky scribe who will receive is copy of The swords of Eveningstar in the next few days check for us if the titles of the next two books are, as usual, in the first pages of the book?

Swords of Dragonfire (August 2007)
The title of the third book is not listed nor is its projected release date.

Carthago delenda est.
Go to Top of Page

Jagou
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  14:48:05  Show Profile  Visit Jagou's Homepage Send Jagou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'm hoping to get there some time this summer and set up a book signing for Blackstaff. Any chance you'd know who I should talk to about that?

Any chance you'll be signing books down in my neck of the woods?

If'n I could remember which woods and which neck you're in, I'd be able to tell you, my woolen pal.

I'm figuring on trying to set up as many book signings as I can get away with in July/August in SE Wisconsin, central to southern Michigan, and parts among them as I can. I'll keep folks posted as possible via my folder.

SES

What is this folder you speak of ?

The only book signings I have seen in my area (Chas, SC) are for authors that are local. Typically the story of a lighthouse or some such. I would be excited indeed to have the opportunity to meet and have really, any of the FR authors sign a book for me.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  17:38:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jagou

quote:

If'n I could remember which woods and which neck you're in, I'd be able to tell you, my woolen pal.

I'm figuring on trying to set up as many book signings as I can get away with in July/August in SE Wisconsin, central to southern Michigan, and parts among them as I can. I'll keep folks posted as possible via my folder.

SES

What is this folder you speak of ?

He speaks of his Questions for Steven Schend scroll.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jagou
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  22:52:49  Show Profile  Visit Jagou's Homepage Send Jagou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you. :)

After the forum change, a nice improvement btw, I had to fiddle with the URL. In case anyone reads this behind me, so to speak, here is the updated link.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3802
Go to Top of Page

Ilztfryn Claddghym
Seeker

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  20:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Ilztfryn Claddghym's Homepage Send Ilztfryn Claddghym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow lol! Nice to know that I have a neverending supply of books to read ;)

Ever dreamed of role playing in Faerun? Battling Obould's forces in the North or Pirates at sea? Join this board www.faerunrp.com/forum
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  01:51:48  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alas I am remiss on my reading. But Shadowbred shall be purchased tomorrow, shards but I don't want to face those crowds, and no doubt finished by the end of the weekend, if it's as good as Mr. Kemp's other titles.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Enialus Meliamne
Acolyte

Portugal
43 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  12:17:55  Show Profile  Visit Enialus Meliamne's Homepage Send Enialus Meliamne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right location, so moderators, please feel free to move as you see fit...It's been a long while since I was on the forum, so I have a lot of reading to do (Aug 05!). Now, to the question. Does anyone know of a re-release of any of the other, out of print books that may be what could be considered...obscure? I'm speaking specifically to things such as the Maztica Trilogy, and Druidhome trilogy, as well as any of the other books from the early 90's? I'm curious, because I'm awaiting the re-release of Halls of Stormweather in Feb 07? (Sembia), and would also like to read many of the other books dated from that timeframe. Any and all responses would be appreciated, as I'll quite literally mark my calendar for them

Unashamed RAS fan.

Unashamed fan of THE Drow Elf Ranger.

Reader of any author in FR who entertains or weaves a good yarn.
Go to Top of Page

O Love
Acolyte

Germany
49 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  12:52:39  Show Profile  Visit O Love's Homepage Send O Love a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some info for you to digest:

- RAS' new series is called "Transitions". The first book "The Orc King" is due in September 2007.
- The forth book in the "Dungeons" series is called "Crypt of the Moaning Diamond". Rosemary Jones' novel is due in January 2008.

What's new 2007 - Forgotten Realms: The Library
Go to Top of Page

O Love
Acolyte

Germany
49 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  12:01:18  Show Profile  Visit O Love's Homepage Send O Love a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cat is outta the bag: Dungeons #3 is written by Bruce R. Cordell, titled "Stardeep" and due in October 2007.

What's new - Forgotten Realms: The Library
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  14:23:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by O Love

The cat is outta the bag: Dungeons #3 is written by Bruce R. Cordell, titled "Stardeep" and due in October 2007.

What's new - Forgotten Realms: The Library

That makes sense for the pattern of his other books, as he teased what was going to come next in Lady of Poison, and he teased this particular location in Darkvision.

It does make me wonder where his trilogy is going to focus (he has said on his blog that he is writing a Realms trilogy).
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  00:48:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eh, I'm not sure what to think of this news. I wasn't overly impressed with Lady of Poison, and I was hoping we'd get a taste of a new author.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2007 :  04:38:58  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Eh, I'm not sure what to think of this news. I wasn't overly impressed with Lady of Poison, and I was hoping we'd get a taste of a new author.

I like Bruce Cordell's characters, and I really like the pacing of his novels. He comes up with some interesting ideas. On the other hand, he has a tendency to use "modernisms" which tends to kind of mess with my suspension of disbelief, and his novels seem to feel a bit more like "general" D&D novels rather than Forgotten Realms novels.

That having been said, I'm betting that his Stardeep novel features his "sobriety challenged" star elf from Darkvision, and given that Star Elves, the Sidleyuir, and Deep Imaskar were his concepts, I'm interested to see what he does with them (and I'm betting that either the Sidleyuir or Deep Imaskar is the setting for his trilogy).
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  00:17:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

I like Bruce Cordell's characters, and I really like the pacing of his novels. He comes up with some interesting ideas. On the other hand, he has a tendency to use "modernisms" which tends to kind of mess with my suspension of disbelief, and his novels seem to feel a bit more like "general" D&D novels rather than Forgotten Realms novels.

That having been said, I'm betting that his Stardeep novel features his "sobriety challenged" star elf from Darkvision, and given that Star Elves, the Sidleyuir, and Deep Imaskar were his concepts, I'm interested to see what he does with them (and I'm betting that either the Sidleyuir or Deep Imaskar is the setting for his trilogy).

Yeah, Lady of Poison struck me as one of those books that might fall into the category of "good novel, but not a good Realms novel". Also, I didn't care for the way the human Nentyarch in the UE sourcebook turned elven for no apparent reason in the novel, and the "gifting of items" part was a bit corny and cliche...although to be fair, it probably would have been more silly to send the heroes off on an important quest and give them no assistance whatsoever. *shrug*

And yes, I did notice that Bruce Cordell's stories all seem to take place in the Unapproachable East.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 14 Feb 2007 00:18:01
Go to Top of Page

Thente Thunderspells
Seeker

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2007 :  17:23:24  Show Profile Send Thente Thunderspells a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking at the upcoming Lady Penienent series/trilogy and I couldn't figure out if it directly ties back to the WotSQ novels or not. Does anyone know?

I never read the WotSQ as I was just too "drow"'d out when they started coming out, and then there ended up being 7 of them so I still haven't been able to bring myself to buy them all, but this upcoming release looks interesting and if WotSQ is "required" reading I'll man up and get them...

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
- Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2007 :  18:32:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thente Thunderspells

I was looking at the upcoming Lady Penienent series/trilogy and I couldn't figure out if it directly ties back to the WotSQ novels or not. Does anyone know?

I never read the WotSQ as I was just too "drow"'d out when they started coming out, and then there ended up being 7 of them so I still haven't been able to bring myself to buy them all, but this upcoming release looks interesting and if WotSQ is "required" reading I'll man up and get them...

Actually, there were 6 of them. The series is quite popular with a lot of people. I didn't really care for it, but I am outvoted on that one by a huge margin.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2007 :  23:05:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm certainly not one of them. Dissolution was fun, though by about the third or fourth book I was beginning to tire of the near constant drow themes at play within the series.

This may have been because I read one directly after the other. Perhaps I should've taken breaks in-between each book and read something else.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  04:20:20  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Just thought I'd consolodate some information, as a temporary reference until Jhoebryn finds time to update the list at the beginning of this thread. Sorry if I repeat anything that's already been gone over thoroughly:

Though Wizards of the Coast isn't listing the book yet, amazon.ca, [and, I assume, .com as well], has Paul S Kemp's "Shadowstorm", The Twilight War Book 2, down for a release in August 2007. This to come in the same month as Ed Greenwood's "Swords of Dragonfire". Joy unbounded!

Book 2 of Lisa Smedman's trilogy The Lady Penitent appears to be called "Storm of the Dead". Amazon has the book down for August, but Wizards lists it for September, [in their character profile for Halisstra Melarn on the Wizards books page, I think], and as they're publishing the thing I assume they would know best. Also in the character profile Book 3 is listed as "Ascendancy of the Last", and is slated for a June 2008 release.

I heard somewhere that Book 1 of R A Salvatore's Transitions series was only tentatively titled, but according to Amazon it's still called "The Orc King", and is holding firm for this September.

I've got no confirmation on these last bits beyond Amazon, and I've never heard anyone accuse them of being infallible. Even so, according to Amazon Rosemary Jones' "Crypt of the Moaning Diamond" is coming out in November of 2007, rather than January 08 as originally thought. They also list Ed Gentry's "neversfall", Book 1 of the Citadels, as coming out in November, in the same month as the last Dungeons novel. Maybe they're wrong?

Lots of good sounding Realms reading ahead! Glorious.

Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  04:47:02  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote

One intriguing thing I forgot to mention:

Amazon has a november listing for something called "the Anotated Elminster Collector's Edition". Its priced more like a novel than a sourcebook, and according to the sight's details has 880 pages. Perhaps a repackaging of the first three Elminster novels with illuminating notes? Very interesting indeed.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  07:47:31  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Amazon listing reveals:
quote:
A look inside the mysterious mind of Ed Greenwood!

The Annotated Elminster collects the first three of Ed Greenwood's classic Elminster novels: Elminster: The Making of a Mage, Elminster in Myth Drannor, and The Temptation of Elminster for the first time in a deluxe omnibus edition. Extensive annotations by the author will provide fascinating insight into not only the books themselves but the process of creation that made the Forgotten Realms(R) world this generation's greatest fantasy setting.

These three books chronicle the early years of the Realms' most powerful and most colorful wizard, the Sage of Shadowdale, Elminster. Follow Elminster from his humble beginnings as a traveling mage to the tragic collapse of an elven empire, and on to a personal turning point that could have sent him down a path to corruption and darkness.

Edited by - Faraer on 11 Mar 2007 07:47:54
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  09:01:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it's anything like the Annotated Chronicles and Annotated Legends Weis and Hickman put together for the DL line, then this is sure to be a hit.

I can only imagine the Realmslore insights Ed will be able to share with us through the annotated notes! I'm sincerely looking forward to this particular novel release.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Mar 2007 09:02:56
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  11:34:03  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh I look forward to this one, the annotated Chronicles has long been among my favorites . If this one sells, could we hope for an annotated version of the Shandrill books?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  22:41:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

The Amazon listing reveals:
quote:
A look inside the mysterious mind of Ed Greenwood!

The Annotated Elminster collects the first three of Ed Greenwood's classic Elminster novels: Elminster: The Making of a Mage, Elminster in Myth Drannor, and The Temptation of Elminster for the first time in a deluxe omnibus edition. Extensive annotations by the author will provide fascinating insight into not only the books themselves but the process of creation that made the Forgotten Realms(R) world this generation's greatest fantasy setting.

These three books chronicle the early years of the Realms' most powerful and most colorful wizard, the Sage of Shadowdale, Elminster. Follow Elminster from his humble beginnings as a traveling mage to the tragic collapse of an elven empire, and on to a personal turning point that could have sent him down a path to corruption and darkness.

Now this is something I might purchase.

Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  03:51:33  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This definitely sounds interesting. I for one would love to hear Ed's thoughts. The amount of knowledege and information that could be learned is huge. I own both the Annotated Legends and Chronicles and they are both simply outstanding. If this is even half as good as those it is a must buy. Who am I kidding though, this is Ed Greenwood we are talking about. The creator and person with the most love and knowledge of the Realms. This is a no brainer. Buy it!!!
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  01:13:46  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Wrote:
Now this is something I might purchase.

Aye, myself as well. I find that Ed Greenwood's fiction can be less than fully accessible to newcomers to the Realms, and as one such at the time when I first tried to read through the Elminster books, I look forward to being able to return to them with a (slightly) more experienced eye and illuminating commentary from the great author and creator.

I was never exposed to the Annotated Dragonlance Chronicles or Legends; nothing, I thought when the collections came out, which might possibly be contained therein could salvage the high, pure thing which the Chaos War and War of Souls destroyed for me. Even so, I've heard that the amount of Krynn lore contained in both products was quite impressive, and if this edition is in a similar vain it should, as Koz said, be truly spectacular. I eagerly look forward to new Realmslore from the master!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  20:38:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by initiate
Aye, myself as well. I find that Ed Greenwood's fiction can be less than fully accessible to newcomers to the Realms, and as one such at the time when I first tried to read through the Elminster books, I look forward to being able to return to them with a (slightly) more experienced eye and illuminating commentary from the great author and creator.

Agreed--I would definitely consider Greenwood's work something of an acquired taste...but rewarding for those who acquire it.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 18 Mar 2007 20:38:38
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  20:54:51  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by initiate

Agreed--I would definitely consider Greenwood's work something of an acquired taste...but rewarding for those who acquire it.

Heheh. Well, as far as storytelling goes, he's all over the place, isn't he? His dialogue oscillates wildly between the long-winded and the gnomic; his plots are labyrinthine, meandering artifices; and he rarely lets action get in the way of a good joke or piece of realmslore. And, personally, I wouldn't have it any other way!

An annotated edition of the first three books is quite an exciting prospect, to be honest. I think, if you're going to tackle Ed's fiction, the first Elminster novel is probably the best place to start, because the plot, as its following El's personal history, more or less takes care of itself and the meanderings into different areas of lore and the encounters with different characters enrich the book rather than hinder the storytelling - which is sometimes the case with the later novels (and is certainly the case with Spellfire) - even now there are individual moments of that book that linger very vividly in my mind - the first appearance of the Magister, for example. It's an absolutely vital book for anyone who wants to understand Elminster and I think an annotated edition would be worth its weight in gold.

Looking forward to this one!

Best!

JDD

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  21:00:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J D Dunsany

Heheh. Well, as far as storytelling goes, he's all over the place, isn't he? His dialogue oscillates wildly between the long-winded and the gnomic; his plots are labyrinthine, meandering artifices; and he rarely lets action get in the way of a good joke or piece of realmslore. And, personally, I wouldn't have it any other way!

His prose is definitely different...but much like yourself I like how it's different. Also, he does have a penchant for writing very memorable, "human" scenes...even books I didn't like as much (the latter two books in Shandril's Saga) have parts in them that I remember pretty vividly even though I read them years ago. I can't say that about every book I read.

Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  04:32:26  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazon Updates:

Nothing very substantial. The "Realms of War" anthology is listed by Amazon.ca, [the source I most frequently use for this sort of thing], as a January 08 release, just as announced in the latest run of WotC bookend adverts. The reprint of Dave Gross's "Lord of Stormweather" is slated for February, thus rapping up the Sembia reissue. [Perhaps they'll reprint something else now. The "Azure Bonds" series would be cool, as I've never read them and I'd rather like to.]

A new twentieth anniversary edition of book 1 of The Legend of Drizzt is being published in February next year, presumably for the sake of those people who, through some miraculous circumstance, inspired by the gods themselves, have somehow not been exposed to the book in the past. I love the Drizzt series, but the number of reissues in recent memory is no longer conveniently ennumerable, and big numbers frighten me.

As for new novels, Amazon has no listings for December, January, or February, which means we may be somewhat in the lurch until RLB's "Undead" comes out in March. Ah well, more time to catch up on older stuff.

Edited by - initiate on 22 May 2007 04:39:39
Go to Top of Page

Renzokuken
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  01:45:23  Show Profile  Visit Renzokuken's Homepage Send Renzokuken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sheesh, more editions of the Drizzt novels? I do look forward to "The Orc King", however. And the "Annotated Elminster" will indeed be on my ever-growing bookshelf. If it is half as good as the "Annotated Chronicles", I will indeed be pleased.

Currently reading: Dark Elf Trilogy (FR)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000