Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Minis, or "How come I never find the one I do need
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  22:45:56  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As a DM I just started playing with minis, thankfully people pointed out that I should go with the plastic D&D miniatures instead of buying lead or pewter ones. Considering that I have two left hands and all thumbs when it comes to painting and stuff, in addition to saving money, I was glad.

Then came the task of finding the right minis for the party... Most of them I could acquire, except for Champion of Elistraee. Now the drow ftr/clr/bladedancer runs around with a sting of lolth mini... and finding the damn thing for a reasonable price is impossible.

just a rant...sorry had to vent

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  23:41:24  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alas this is something that one finds with randomised packs of Miniatures.

Incedently I was in my local gaming shop when an individual purchased and opened a War Drums booster pack, he proudly displayed the miniatures to the whole shop. I was taken aback by how far along these sets have come! Even the commons where well painted! Needless to say he proceed to but 3 more boosters and one starter pack...

.. he did confess to me that he'd been collecting like a fanatic for the past year

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  00:18:05  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which is why I usually try to find a Dark Reaper figure (or fig from some other line) that is basically what I want, and then paint it up.
Even my worst is still better than the D&D Minis or Mage Knights.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  06:05:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Champion of Ellistaree was in Arch Fiends and that set has been out of production for a while.

Your best bet is to buy any Arch Fiends boosters you find (Arch Fiends contains a large number of FR figures including the CLeric and Aspect of Bane, Cleric of Lathander, Zhent Fighter and Daleland militia) or buy it online as a single (Although this might be pricy)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  07:34:28  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been pretty happy with my minis purchases. I buy one case of every new set that comes out. I usually end up with a complete set except for 12 or so rares. In most cases I can live without the rares I am missing.

I have the worst luck with dragons though. I have never gotten any gold dragons or red dragons. And the Couatl. I never got one of those either.

But all in all, I have been otherwise very happy with all my mini purchases.

We don't even play the mini game. We just use them for our weekly D&D game. I often write the adventure and select the monsters based off whatever cool new minis I got.

Out of this last set, I am most pleased with the dragonnes and the bronze dragon. I am going to have to work those in to an upcoming adventure, and I think I know just the way to use them... [cue evil laugh]
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  08:11:04  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...maybe I should buy a case... *starts saving cash*

As for the collectible side of things, has WotC ever made a survey on how many owners of D&D minis actually play the miniature game?

All the people I know use them for their RPG.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  11:14:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

As for the collectible side of things, has WotC ever made a survey on how many owners of D&D minis actually play the miniature game?

Considering that all their recent releases have included "you can use this figure from this line, or this figure from this line" sentences, I think WotC knows that people aren't just playing the minis game.

Really, it was a good marketing decision on someone's part.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  11:48:24  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, yet discontinuing some lines and not re-releasing the figures does those of us who came to the minis later no favor

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  15:41:04  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any truth to the rumor that they will be including a miniature giant space hamster miniature in the upcoming War of the Dragon Queen set?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  16:20:33  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Any truth to the rumor that they will be including a miniature giant space hamster miniature in the upcoming War of the Dragon Queen set?

It's going to be a swarm.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  16:44:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

It's going to be a swarm.

--Eric

In actuality, I'm not sure what one would call a group of hamsters... But "swarm" works for my purposes.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  21:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I tell you what, buying by the case is the way to go. I usually end up finding a case on the web for about 50-60% of what buying them individually would cost. Then I sell my extras and make back some of that.

I have the complete set for Archfiends, and pretty close to a complete set of all the rest, and I have never played the miniatures game, they are strictly for our gaming group. Not that the game has no interest for me, its just now why I but the minis.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  22:14:26  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

I tell you what, buying by the case is the way to go. I usually end up finding a case on the web for about 50-60% of what buying them individually would cost. Then I sell my extras and make back some of that.

I have the complete set for Archfiends, and pretty close to a complete set of all the rest, and I have never played the miniatures game, they are strictly for our gaming group. Not that the game has no interest for me, its just now why I but the minis.

Care to trade the Champion of Elistraee?

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  23:02:00  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some creatures that have appeared in older sets have been redone in more recent sets

For example Archfiends Had the Hill Giant (A Rare) Hill giants have appeared in War Drums (The latest set) HIll Giant Barbarian (Uncommon) and Hill Giant Chiefian (Rare)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  23:56:38  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
In actuality, I'm not sure what one would call a group of hamsters... But "swarm" works for my purposes.
I think they're called a void of space hamseters.

At least, whenever space hamsters are about, I always hear people say "a void of space hamsters."

Actually... now that I think on it...
They may have been saying: "avoid the space hamsters."
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  00:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curiosity got the better of me and a quick google search tells me that the collective for regular hamsters is "horde" -- A horde of hamsters.

Also the male is a buck, the female is a doe, and young ones are called pups.

The source though was curiously silent about space hamsters.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  00:20:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hear Alaundo has recently added a new magical ability to the Staff of Irritated moderators its now got Hamster Bane.........

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  02:01:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I hear Alaundo has recently added a new magical ability to the Staff of Irritated moderators its now got Hamster Bane.........

I guess I'll have to be more careful about avoiding the big guy's wrath, then!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  02:03:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Curiosity got the better of me and a quick google search tells me that the collective for regular hamsters is "horde" -- A horde of hamsters.

And now we know. And knowing is half the battle. I've never figured out what the other half is...

To get somewhat back on topic... I think a regular Miniature Giant Space Hamster is the perfect scale for D&D minis already -- just pick one of the other Giant Space Hamster breeds, say that's what the Miniature Giant Space Hamster is, and you're set!

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  04:32:19  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, until WotC makes one you could always use these:
http://www.toysrjoy.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=505
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  05:46:25  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, until WotC makes one you could always use these:
http://www.toysrjoy.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=505

Bad Gray, Bad.
I think he needs to be punished and not by THO.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  15:25:00  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aww have a heart. I have long wanted to do something bad enough to earn a punishing by The Lady Hooded One. Don't take away my dream!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  21:12:10  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aww have a heart. I have long wanted to do something bad enough to earn a punishing by The Lady Hooded One. Don't take away my dream!

You have to be Good Bad for that, not Bad Bad.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  03:13:41  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

this was too funny, I think someone has too much time on his hands. this made my whole day better, good research.

Edited by - scererar on 17 Mar 2006 03:15:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000