Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 God of Rape?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

summoner_hirelena
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  07:12:53  Show Profile  Visit summoner_hirelena's Homepage Send summoner_hirelena a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This maybe far out but I was told to come here by a friend to ask for this. I believe I found a God of Rape in one of the Role Playing games out there. But no one else seems to know it exists, so now Im unsure if it even exists. (You know how your mind can play tricks right?)

So if anyone know's where this God is, and what's his name I would completely appricate it.

Mod edit: Moved to the correct shelf.

Summoner Hirelena, lover of all things magic

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Mar 2006 07:21:57

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  07:20:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Such a god does not specifically exist in the Forgotten Realms setting.

I am aware of a "violator"-type deity in another published setting, but it does not relate directly to rape or any other type of vile assault upon a person.

Do you have any other information you can share with us?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Mar 2006 07:21:15
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  07:20:54  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ummmm no

theres no God of Rape in the FR

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

summoner_hirelena
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  07:23:34  Show Profile  Visit summoner_hirelena's Homepage Send summoner_hirelena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could you be so kind Sage to tell me who this Deity is? Maybe this is the person I thought I saw.

And thank you so much for helping out! This has been bothering me for a bit.

By the way, thanks for moving the post, I didnt mean to post in the wrong place^^...Sorry again

Edited by - summoner_hirelena on 11 Mar 2006 07:24:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  07:25:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by summoner_hirelena

Could you be so kind Sage to tell me who this Deity is? Maybe this is the person I thought I saw.
I'll have to check through my books when I get home as I'm not entirely familiar with the deity's exact name herself.

Can you wait a couple of hours?

Go to Top of Page

summoner_hirelena
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  07:30:46  Show Profile  Visit summoner_hirelena's Homepage Send summoner_hirelena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea, of course. I can be patient, in fact its 2 am here so take all the time you need.

Thank you so much! Your making many people besides me happy, because theyre courious too!

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  11:03:25  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thed in Glorantha is a goddess of rape.

Edited by - Faraer on 11 Mar 2006 11:03:37
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  12:06:49  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goddess of Rape...the thought alone makes me shudder, and the concept is somewhat ... um... grossly stupid.

Imagine this:

Acolyte to the Goddess of Rape to her High Priest (whose title is Grand Rapist): "Blessed High Rapist, I have erred in my ways."
High Rapist: "Name your infraction, son of a bitch."
Acolyte: "I made love to a woman."
High Rapist: "Blasphemy! Your insolence will not go unpunished! As a penance you have to rape 50 virgins in a day."
Acolyte: "50 virgins?! But High Rapist, the village nearby only has 150 people in it, and most of them are old and infirm, plus the last time you punished Brother Rapist Baelarn he took the last few virgins left in the hamlet for himself!"
High Rapist: "Is that so?"
Acolyte: "Yes, most revered High Rapist."
High Rapist: "In that case, go find some innocent sheep!"
And thus the Goddess of Rape also became the deity of ... well you get the picture.

Disclaimer: I do not find any humor in the topic at all, I just tried to make light of it. Rape is one of the few things I would punish with the death penalty.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  12:35:18  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While that's an understandable response, Thed, like everything in Greg Stafford's mythology, is very far from stupid.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  12:49:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Thed in Glorantha is a goddess of rape.

Ah yes... Thed was the god I was thinking of. I recall the mention from Stafford's entry in one of the Chaosium Glorantha books.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  17:29:04  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that one would never make it into my campaign, bad idea whoever thought that one up
Go to Top of Page

summoner_hirelena
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  18:46:40  Show Profile  Visit summoner_hirelena's Homepage Send summoner_hirelena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually that might be the one! And I compltely appricate eveeryone's help on this, you made plently of people happy today.
Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  20:02:22  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for FR, Malar or Talos, while neither has that specific portfolio, might conceivably be prayed to to bless such endeavors.

Malar is the god of hunters and predators, and Talos is a god of destruction and passionate fury.

If the act were vengeful then it might concern Hoar.

Come to think of it, Loviatar might be appropriate too as the goddess of inflicting pain and other sexual depravities.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  20:04:59  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loviatar is certainly the most obvious one.

But I would not trust a follower of Bane (fear) if I was a young lady in a dark street..

Edited by - Skeptic on 11 Mar 2006 20:08:52
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  23:39:56  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Numerous deities probably endorse this horrible act. Shar probably revels in the loss of dignity or innocence, Mask in the idea of stealing something that cannot be taken back, Bane in the strife and hatred caused by the act, Hoar for the vengeance it instills, Malar for the predatory nature of conquering, Talos for the joy of destroying someone's spirit, Loviatar for the love of inflicting pain, Gargauth for the act of corrupting or destroying innocence.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  00:32:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

...Loviatar for the love of inflicting pain...
Indeed. It's highly likely that any Loviatar worshipper with an interest in a physical and emotional violation like this, would see the act of a rape against a person as another method of encouraging both physical and emotional pain in the victim.

Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  01:59:16  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

While that's an understandable response, Thed, like everything in Greg Stafford's mythology, is very far from stupid.

Definitely. For more information on Thed, go here.

Thed was a fertility goddess forcibly taken as a bride by a violent storm god, Ragnaglar (god of insanity). The two created the broo race. They, along with Malia (a healing goddess and Ragnaglar's mistress) are known as the unholy trinity due to bringing chaos into the world in the form of Wakboth the devil by Thed's rape and birthing of Wakboth. This act twisted all three deities and Thed twisted the broo race into her instrument to destroy the world in the way she was brought low - broos beget children on any organism of any gender and these children kill their hosts in child-birth.

One of the things I've noticed with gaming is that the three world-settings I've enjoyed the most were all created before role playing games existed and were lovingly imported by their creators and friends: Forgotten Realms by Ed, Glorantha by Greg Stafford, and Tekumel by M.A.R. Barker. All three of these settings just feel real.

Greg's work with Glorantha's religions and mythology is truly phenominal.

Edited by - Sarta on 12 Mar 2006 02:36:20
Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  16:09:55  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello to all, I mostly post replies in the Candlekeep Inn, but I was strolling here and thought I could contribute.

Mace Hammerhand, that truly would be...strange. I actually thought it was comical. I don't think rape is a human factor worthy enough to have a diety represent it solely (not because of its negative aspect). What would be the symbol of the diety? It would be a mockery of the fantasy world.

In order to identify the Forgotten Realms Pantheon that would closest be associated with the pathological social factor known as rape we should understand that rape is an action performed by either the psycologically deranged (perhaps due to some past trauma or simple severe madness that forces him to perform such thoughts), extremely authoritarian and shauvanistic individuals with testoterone levels higher than a bird in the sky (whos father must have been the same way), or many cases of drug or alcohol dependent individuals sick of his wife's nagging.

Now of these three we can fit in the personalitites of the pantheon memebers. Lets see, Cyric would fit well in the first factor (beeing the god of psychos) and Loviatar could fit in as well, since many psychotic individuals revel in self induced torture as well as on others etc.

Bhaal fits well into the first and second categories in that murder and rape are closely related (if anyone played BG and BGII SoA you'll remember how your character is born). Bane would fit in the same two in that women haters sometimes become rapists. Tempus could fit in the second category due to the brutish and violent nature of conflict he represents, and his followers tend to follow the "way of the testosterone". (In Greek mythology Ares or Mars in Roman, the God of War, often raped mortal women) Talos could fit in as well due to his chaotic and violent demeanor. Malar could as well fit in in that his folowers give in to animal insticts.

What do you all think?

By the way which diety drank the most? I could'nt think of one.

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  16:27:07  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... Malar for the predatory nature of conquering...

Malar, Rape, Were-wolf... hmm... "interesting twist" on the murder by lycantrope scenario.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  01:10:34  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranin

Hello to all, I mostly post replies in the Candlekeep Inn, but I was strolling here and thought I could contribute.

Mace Hammerhand, that truly would be...strange. I actually thought it was comical. I don't think rape is a human factor worthy enough to have a diety represent it solely (not because of its negative aspect). What would be the symbol of the diety? It would be a mockery of the fantasy world.

In order to identify the Forgotten Realms Pantheon that would closest be associated with the pathological social factor known as rape we should understand that rape is an action performed by either the psycologically deranged (perhaps due to some past trauma or simple severe madness that forces him to perform such thoughts), extremely authoritarian and shauvanistic individuals with testoterone levels higher than a bird in the sky (whos father must have been the same way), or many cases of drug or alcohol dependent individuals sick of his wife's nagging.

Now of these three we can fit in the personalitites of the pantheon memebers. Lets see, Cyric would fit well in the first factor (beeing the god of psychos) and Loviatar could fit in as well, since many psychotic individuals revel in self induced torture as well as on others etc.

Bhaal fits well into the first and second categories in that murder and rape are closely related (if anyone played BG and BGII SoA you'll remember how your character is born). Bane would fit in the same two in that women haters sometimes become rapists. Tempus could fit in the second category due to the brutish and violent nature of conflict he represents, and his followers tend to follow the "way of the testosterone". (In Greek mythology Ares or Mars in Roman, the God of War, often raped mortal women) Talos could fit in as well due to his chaotic and violent demeanor. Malar could as well fit in in that his folowers give in to animal insticts.

What do you all think?

By the way which diety drank the most? I could'nt think of one.

I actually thought it was a fascinating question. As distasteful as this act is, it is certainly as relevant as some of the things we attribute to other deities. There is a god of poison, a god of cats, so why not a god of rape. I think it would make more sense for it to be a god of conquest or invasion - encompassing all forms of violation. Certainly Lawful Evil.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  14:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I actually thought it was a fascinating question. As distasteful as this act is, it is certainly as relevant as some of the things we attribute to other deities. There is a god of poison, a god of cats, so why not a god of rape. I think it would make more sense for it to be a god of conquest or invasion - encompassing all forms of violation. Certainly Lawful Evil.

Rape as a 'side effect' of conquest and invasion seems reasonable, but which 'normal' person would worship a deity because he/she also represents the portfolio of rape?

It could be part of the portfolio, sure, but I doubt any woman would actively worship a deity who represents the ultimate violation of their gender. As such this 'portfolio' could actually be part of a couple of deities' 'responsibility'.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  18:03:50  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In real polytheism, some gods are only propitiated, not otherwise worshipped. The idea that gods receive their power solely from active worship makes no sense in terms of our-world religion, or of the Realms -- there's no way that the greater god Shar (opposed to human life and happiness) gets remotely as much worship as the lesser god Waukeen.
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta
Definitely. For more information on Thed, go here.
I put that link in my first post above! I think that for visionary, mythically rigorous world-building, Middle-earth, Glorantha and Tekumel are unrivalled.

Edited by - Faraer on 13 Mar 2006 18:04:59
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  02:10:46  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I put that link in my first post above!

Gah, so you did. My eyes are going too it would seem.

What Faraer is touching on is a rather important point. The deities and religious worship presented in the Realms have pretty much become structured into established religions. In a pantheistic society or a more "primitive" culture, where religion isn't so structured, you will also find rich tapestries of mythology, folklore, and worship.

Many of these stories serve to illustrate how the world and all creation came to be, how we as a people came to be, why we are better than all of the animals on earth, why we are better than our neighbors, and what will happen to us once we die. In these stories there is room for all sorts of "rediculous" entities exhibiting all sorts of "rediculous" behavior. While they may not all be worshipped or even propitiated, their stories continue to be passed down and they live on in myth.

More fanatical individuals may find motivation to organize cults to pay homage a specific entity. Some of the more powerful cults may eventually calcify into what we think of when we think of a religion.

As Gray and Eytan pointed out, there are several deities in the Realms for which rape would not be considered their portfolio, but may dovetail with their portfolio. It wouldn't be unheard of for a small cult of followers of one of these deities to "find" a child or champion of one of these deities that they propitiate as the god or champion of rape. Think of Xvimm's status before he was elevated.

I guess what I'm saying is there's always room in the realms for a small bunch of whacko' cultists to espouse a whacky cause and inflict their own ideas on the rest of the realms. Especially if it creates a good story or plotline for a game.

Edited by - Sarta on 14 Mar 2006 02:12:03
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  04:07:00  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In order to be on the safe side and stay within the PG-13 boundaries, a god of violation might be a better choice. Violation also encompasses a greater variety of possible inflictions from rape, to exposing people innermost secrets, to setting people up to fall. Anything that constitutes a person violation would count - I should go break out the Depeche Mode album now.

Go to Top of Page

Mr. Wilson
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  23:14:58  Show Profile  Visit Mr. Wilson's Homepage Send Mr. Wilson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Under that definition, I would nominate Shar because she represents loss.

"I've got a plan..."- Dan
"Nothing good has ever come after those four words." - Jesse
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000