Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Cleric spells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  12:50:42  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Admittedly I have way too much time on my hands...

I know that we are dealing with an abstract RPG system but recently I have been thinking about the difference in wizard and cleric spells.

Wizards research and thus create new spells. They gain their power from the universal force of magic. (The Weave in FR)

Clerics gain their power from the gods they worship. They pray for their spells etc. In essence, from my point of view, a cleric's spells are prayers and as such they are also portrayed in the novels.

If a cleric prays for his spells and his spells are prayers, how can a cleric 'research' new spells? Does he merely develop another prayer?

'Spell research' for a cleric, IMO, would be, in literary terms, the cleric reading and researching the books of his faith and work out a new prayer/ceremony which the god then approves...

Your views on this please

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  16:16:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with what you said but I'll add: The divine caster might also ask thier deity for a new spell that was based on some idea the divine caster had. For example, the divine caster thinks that a spell to strengthen trees would be a good thing to have, and so the deity sends such spell. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  17:23:31  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Admittedly I have way too much time on my hands...

Well met

Hmmm, really? Then mayhaps thou art just the person i'm looking for...

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  17:53:44  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Well met

Aye, I do have lots of time on my hands to muse, ponder and be somewhat creatively productive. At your service (and I will not sell my soul )

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  18:36:06  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Well met

Aye, I do have lots of time on my hands to muse, ponder and be somewhat creatively productive. At your service (and I will not sell my soul )

Didn't you know? Once you signed up as a scribe and signed the welcome scroll, Alaundo already owned your soul and he is such a slave driver. Yes, sir, don't whip me, I'll get back to work now!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  18:44:03  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I sold my sold to some mead vendor a few years ago...can't remember a damn thing tho...

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  19:38:32  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Priestly 'spell research' is things like:
-- discovering an old prayer in a dusty religious work (see Prayers from the Faithful)
-- reading of a religious miracle once performed, and praying for it
-- having a divinely inspired dream and making it real in waking life
-- interpreting one of the god's myths in a new way, and making it into a new spell
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  21:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input, guys. Up until I hit a boring spot at work (and trust me there will be more) I never really bothered with this line of thought, but I do believe I never really saw anything regarding this issue in the rulebooks...it was always spell research this spell research that...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000