Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Cleric spells

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 09 Mar 2006 : 12:50:42
Admittedly I have way too much time on my hands...

I know that we are dealing with an abstract RPG system but recently I have been thinking about the difference in wizard and cleric spells.

Wizards research and thus create new spells. They gain their power from the universal force of magic. (The Weave in FR)

Clerics gain their power from the gods they worship. They pray for their spells etc. In essence, from my point of view, a cleric's spells are prayers and as such they are also portrayed in the novels.

If a cleric prays for his spells and his spells are prayers, how can a cleric 'research' new spells? Does he merely develop another prayer?

'Spell research' for a cleric, IMO, would be, in literary terms, the cleric reading and researching the books of his faith and work out a new prayer/ceremony which the god then approves...

Your views on this please
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 09 Mar 2006 : 21:01:46
Thanks for the input, guys. Up until I hit a boring spot at work (and trust me there will be more) I never really bothered with this line of thought, but I do believe I never really saw anything regarding this issue in the rulebooks...it was always spell research this spell research that...
Faraer Posted - 09 Mar 2006 : 19:38:32
Priestly 'spell research' is things like:
-- discovering an old prayer in a dusty religious work (see Prayers from the Faithful)
-- reading of a religious miracle once performed, and praying for it
-- having a divinely inspired dream and making it real in waking life
-- interpreting one of the god's myths in a new way, and making it into a new spell
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 09 Mar 2006 : 18:44:03
I think I sold my sold to some mead vendor a few years ago...can't remember a damn thing tho...
Kuje Posted - 09 Mar 2006 : 18:36:06
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Hmmm, really? Then mayhaps thou art just the person i'm looking for...

Well met

Aye, I do have lots of time on my hands to muse, ponder and be somewhat creatively productive. At your service (and I will not sell my soul )

Didn't you know? Once you signed up as a scribe and signed the welcome scroll, Alaundo already owned your soul and he is such a slave driver. Yes, sir, don't whip me, I'll get back to work now!
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 09 Mar 2006 : 17:53:44
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Well met

Aye, I do have lots of time on my hands to muse, ponder and be somewhat creatively productive. At your service (and I will not sell my soul )
Alaundo Posted - 09 Mar 2006 : 17:23:31
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Admittedly I have way too much time on my hands...

Well met

Kuje Posted - 09 Mar 2006 : 16:16:30
I agree with what you said but I'll add: The divine caster might also ask thier deity for a new spell that was based on some idea the divine caster had. For example, the divine caster thinks that a spell to strengthen trees would be a good thing to have, and so the deity sends such spell. :)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000