Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 How to Create a Character
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zero
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  02:43:05  Show Profile  Visit Zero's Homepage Send Zero a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi. I'm fairly new to gaming, and I'm trying to make a character to use in a campaign. I've read through the player's handbook... unfortunately, I've had little success in understanding it. The generic information Race, Class, Alignment... no problem. But how do you go about figuring up Armor Class, Initiative, Reflexes and the like? I would greatly appreciate any information and help anybody could give me. Thank in advance :)

Zero
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  02:49:07  Show Profile  Visit Zero's Homepage Send Zero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, post script.

I'm planning on playing in a 2nd Ed. Kara-Tur campaign. Don't really know if that's necessary for character creation, but I thought I'd go ahead and volunteer it anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Frey
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  09:10:13  Show Profile  Visit Frey's Homepage Send Frey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had help in creating my first character and ... it helped. The PHB is quite clear, but there's so much to take in account...
If I had to tell more I'd have to tell much much more and there I probably would make a mistake or two, so I'd better not.
My advise is to build your character as far as you're able using the PHB and just play. Ask your DM for help when dice have to be roled. Or even better: ask your DM to discuss your character (in these aspects) before the game starts.

But I did found an excel-character-sheet which does a lot of the calculations for you. It was freeware on the internet somewhere (but I can't find where, so I mailed it to you privately).
It is 3E though.

- Imagine ... there's no imagination. -

(remember Frey is just a PC)
Go to Top of Page

Jalfrez
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  18:43:48  Show Profile  Visit Jalfrez's Homepage Send Jalfrez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ive been playing D&d for a long time and still cant figure out everthing you just said.

Millike for all
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  19:24:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jalfrez

Ive been playing D&d for a long time and still cant figure out everthing you just said.

That's funny. I've never played or watched or anything. Yet it seemed clear to me . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  20:04:53  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't get if you'll play at 2nd edition or 3rd.
If it's at 3rd, you should read Heroes' Builder Guide Book
Go to Top of Page

Zero
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  23:15:14  Show Profile  Visit Zero's Homepage Send Zero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help Frey :)

I do have the Hero Builder's Book, although I'm playing a second ed. game. My DM's as new as I am to the game, as we're all just a bunch of ppl who have decided to give AD&D a try for the first time... so I guess we'll just try and wade through our campaign until we get the hang of it. Thanks for the help though... the character sheet helps quite a bit, I think I can adapt it to 2nd ed. rules fairly easily.
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2003 :  19:44:54  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail Zero! Another 2nd Edition Player!!
I am currentally DMing a campaign that we have been playing for almost a year and a bit now, all the characters are now about level 4-5. Yesterday i introduced 2 people who have never played AD&D before to the game they seemed to love it.
If you still require help then feel free to email me (my email is in my profile).
Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000