Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Mind-reading Spells?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  00:37:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are there any mind-reading spells out there in 3E? Spells that let you go through someone's noggin' and extract information either willingly (or hopefully) unwillingly? Enquiring minds want to know ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  01:11:02  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mind probe (psionic power) was given as a Sorcerer/Wizard spell first in ExpPsiH than in Spell compendium.

In my FR campaign, I banned all those spells to keep the psi flavor.

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  01:44:13  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know George, the more questions like this you ask, the more worried I get about this project of yours. There is also Detect Thoughts which is a 2nd level Wizard spell. Not sure if there are others yet, haven't checked all of them.
~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?

Edited by - Kes_Alanadel on 03 Feb 2006 01:47:08
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  02:26:04  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brain Spider (CDiv p156) [Clr8 Mind7] – Listen to thoughts of up to eight other creatures.
Detect Thoughts (PH p220) [Brd2 Inquisition3 Knowledge2 Mentalism2 Mind2 Sor/Wiz2 Truth1] – Allows “listening” to surface thoughts.
Probe Thoughts (CDiv p176)(CDivErrata)+ [Mind6 Sor/Wiz6] – You sift through thoughts, learning the answer to one question per round.
Discern Lies (PH p221) [Clr4 Drow4 Inquisition4 Mind4 Nobility4 Pal3 Truth4 Tyrant3] – Reveals deliberate falsehoods.
Mind Blank (PH p253) [Liberation8 Meditation8 Mentalism8 Mind8 Protection8 Sor/Wiz8 Trade8] – Subject is immune to mental/emotional magic and scrying.
Rary’s Telepathic Bond (PH p268) [Community5 Family5 Mentalism6 Mind5 Sor/Wiz5] – Link lets allies communicate.
Telepathic Bond, Lesser (CDiv p158) [Clr3 Mind3 Sor/Wiz3] – As Rary’s Telepathic Bond, but you and one other creature.
Dominate Person (PH p224) [Brd4 Dominion4 Sor/Wiz5] – Controls humanoid telepathically.

There may be some new ones in the Spell Compendium, but I don't have it just yet.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  04:10:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Brain Spider (CDiv p156) [Clr8 Mind7] – Listen to thoughts of up to eight other creatures.
Detect Thoughts (PH p220) [Brd2 Inquisition3 Knowledge2 Mentalism2 Mind2 Sor/Wiz2 Truth1] – Allows “listening” to surface thoughts.
Probe Thoughts (CDiv p176)(CDivErrata)+ [Mind6 Sor/Wiz6] – You sift through thoughts, learning the answer to one question per round.
Discern Lies (PH p221) [Clr4 Drow4 Inquisition4 Mind4 Nobility4 Pal3 Truth4 Tyrant3] – Reveals deliberate falsehoods.
Mind Blank (PH p253) [Liberation8 Meditation8 Mentalism8 Mind8 Protection8 Sor/Wiz8 Trade8] – Subject is immune to mental/emotional magic and scrying.
Rary’s Telepathic Bond (PH p268) [Community5 Family5 Mentalism6 Mind5 Sor/Wiz5] – Link lets allies communicate.
Telepathic Bond, Lesser (CDiv p158) [Clr3 Mind3 Sor/Wiz3] – As Rary’s Telepathic Bond, but you and one other creature.
Dominate Person (PH p224) [Brd4 Dominion4 Sor/Wiz5] – Controls humanoid telepathically.

There may be some new ones in the Spell Compendium, but I don't have it just yet.

Add Programmed Amnesia from Complete Arcane---there's nothing new in the Spell Compendium.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  04:26:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all, muchly. Probe Thoughts seems to be just the ticket. And it's not a single project, it's a bunch of them - a better way to keep you all guessing as to what I'm up to exactly.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  04:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Thank you all, muchly. Probe Thoughts seems to be just the ticket. And it's not a single project, it's a bunch of them - a better way to keep you all guessing as to what I'm up to exactly.

-- George Krashos

Note that Probe Thoughts was reprinted in the Spell Compendium---it's the current source for it.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  05:42:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia
Note that Probe Thoughts was reprinted in the Spell Compendium---it's the current source for it.

Thanks for that Arivia. The good news is that after a recent HD crash, my local PC repairer has been able to retrieve most everything. I should have my PC back by the end of the week. Good thing too, as I made some good progress on one of my "secret projects' just before everything went kablooi. I'll have that particular bit of writing back soon ... then we'll see where it takes us.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000