Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Campaign - in a nutshell and some ideas please
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  19:22:50  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking for ideas but in a different direction.

It's a high level game in the Forgotten Realms I'm running that has sort of evolved from another plot I was running (like that never happens). A genius loci or an undead genius loci actualy has been manifested by a fallen solar to get revenge on my players for something they thwarted some time ago. They have managed to deal with the fallen solar but now have this genius loci to contend with, and actually they're starting to realize it is what it is but can't do anything about it since it's powers are currently growing beyond their ability to control and they cannot communicate with it. They only know that they cannot destroy by the means that they have available to them now. The genius loci has not reached it's full power yet, it is still growing as sort of a necrotic cyst, a blight on the land that has wiped out an entire village, people, buildings and all. Where people have died as it grows they sort of wander around on its surface as crimson death (MMII) a whole crapload of them. And it is still growing...

Realizing they're in way over their head they wisely flee the area. And a divination reveals to them that "the answer they seek (to destroy it) is in the Anourach desert, a lich holds the key. First find the Temple of Marru in the Plain of Standing Stones."

At the temple they fought and destroyed a blackstone gigant (that was quite an encounter let me tell you) and received their first clue. As the gigant was destroyed the walls of the temple melted like wax and revealed to them various illustrations, of them (the PC's) yet not them (there were subtle differences) battling hordes of demons, meeting with kings, holding counsel with a giant spynx, leading a large host into battle...none of which has happened IC so they surmised that this was a portent of things to come. They're right of course.

Also, after defeating the gigant they pulled various colored crystals from its body and realized that if they use the crystals in various combinations in compartments found on a large altar a massive map of the desert appears all around them and they can manipulate it (almost "scroll" through the desert) and see whatever it is they need to see. We left off there for the evening.

The one thing that I did not reveal to them was the location of the lich.

Given the facts (I hope I've given them all if not I'll elaborate as needed) how would you go about finding said lich? When I say "lich" what do you automatically assume?

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  19:33:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finding a lich, I would start with the map to see if there are any isolated building or complex of buildings away from water suppy, as lich do not need water. If nothing like that shows on the map or no other clues available at location. I would consider cumune or other divination spell to try to determine location.
Worst coes to worst of course would have to plan a search of the desert, inch by inch if needed. Before doing that of course would collect all information posible from location. Perhaps even make a copy of the images. The allies I would consider as well as posible sources to aid in search of a lich.

quote:
When I say "lich" what do you automatically assume?

A dead, most likely arcane spell caster with an Evil intention.

After all that is what the rules indicate is most common type of lich. *Grin*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  22:43:09  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You say "lich" and "Anauroch" and I think of Netheril, right off the bat. Either the undead mage was Netherese, or was lured there since by the legends of Netheril's magical prowess.

A twist might be that the lich is a baelnorn, the spirit of an elf who wished to assure that the dangerous lore of Netheril remained buried. Winning this good being's assistance, rather than destroying him, might make for an unexpected turn of events.

Edited by - Vangelor on 29 Nov 2005 22:44:10
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  15:19:03  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

You say "lich" and "Anauroch" and I think of Netheril, right off the bat. Either the undead mage was Netherese, or was lured there since by the legends of Netheril's magical prowess.

A twist might be that the lich is a baelnorn, the spirit of an elf who wished to assure that the dangerous lore of Netheril remained buried. Winning this good being's assistance, rather than destroying him, might make for an unexpected turn of events.

That is actually a great idea for a twist, I'll work that one in.
Go to Top of Page

msatran
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  04:29:17  Show Profile  Visit msatran's Homepage Send msatran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alternate twist: The lich is utterly and completely evil, but agrees to assist the party because the villain threatens his own plans. Can the PC's trust him? Will killing him lead to things that are even worse? Heck, with this, the LICH comes to meet the PC's. "As you may notice, I am quite dead..."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000