Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Need the big map of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  01:21:26  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Like the one that comes in the back of the 3.0 FR Campaign setting. The reason why I ask is that I recently lost my book, and so I bought a used one on ebay. I even asked the guy if it had the map and he told me yes...but it got here and the map was tore out =(

Is there anywhere to download the big map? I need it really badly.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  01:39:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 1e/2e FRCS contained large world maps.

The FR Atlas (both electronic and hardcopy) have maps of the world also. And there are several older versions copied online as well.

And there was the large-FR poster map series from DRAGON as well -- in four part (issues #287-290.) Try paizo.com or nobleknight.com or dragontrove.com for the specific back issues.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Nov 2005 01:40:36
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  16:11:44  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you need to find something on the map, go to http://evilknight.home.att.net/FRCS/index.htm. Anything that has FRCS/MoF refers to 'page' of the map delineated by the fold marks. Forgive the poor formatting. It looks good in Firefox and Safari on a monitor in high resolution. Having trouble coming up with a CSS stylesheet setting that works for all three browsers.

Note that the FRCS listings are not near complete.

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  18:00:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In that case, for the legal safety of the Keep, I'd suggest removing the links.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Nov 2005 18:00:50
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  18:10:02  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just removed my post that contained a link to a faerun map because of the legal safety of the keep.
Sorry if I caused any trouble (legal or otherkind) for the wise sages of Candlekeep.
Maybe if you want to get a good map of faerun you can go to the www.wizards.com and search for smaller maps and then glue them together with a painting program.

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  10:17:42  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An unprincipled person would notice whether their local bookseller has shrink-wrapped the FRCS... but you didn't hear that from me.
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  11:59:31  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ordered an old 2nd edition (I think) CD-ROM called Forgotten Realms Atlas. Supposedly it has over 500 maps that are printable. It should be here soon

I just hope it has some good maps of the Western Hearlands, particularly the area north east of amn.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  12:00:46  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and thanks for the help everyone, sorry if I caused any trouble.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  14:26:01  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I lost my big map last year: I called WotC's customer service and they mailed me a brand new one... :)
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  15:13:55  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe this is why they stopped making pull out maps. I had never thought about that, but maybe WotC received a lot of complaints about lost maps because they could be pulled out of a book.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  15:49:26  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And there was the large-FR poster map series from DRAGON as well -- in four part (issues #287-290.) Try paizo.com or nobleknight.com or dragontrove.com for the specific back issues.

Hey, guys.
How impressive is this map that cam in the DRAGON???
I´m asking because some of this issues are at sale for a very good price in a store here in Brasil, and, if the map worth the value, I´m thinking and buy these issues.

Thanks in advance

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  16:08:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

quote:

Hey, guys.
I´m asking because some of this issues are at sale for a very good price in a store here in Brasil, and, if the map worth the value, I´m thinking and buy these issues.

Thanks in advance

I'm not too sure on how you define impressive for a map...

For me, impressive usually equates with "detailed". If that's the case, then each of these large poster maps are considerably detailed -- they feature most of the more common places referenced in the Realms (and most of those mentioned in the FRCS).

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Nov 2005 16:16:09
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  17:08:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

I ordered an old 2nd edition (I think) CD-ROM called Forgotten Realms Atlas. Supposedly it has over 500 maps that are printable. It should be here soon

I just hope it has some good maps of the Western Hearlands, particularly the area north east of amn.

The proper name is the Forgotten Realms Interactive Altas, which differentiates it from the Forgotten Realms Atlas, a print book by Karen Fonstad.

It's got about 8 gazillion maps in it... And it's something a lot of people want. I've seen that go for a very hefty price. Luckily, I got mine directly from TSR, for half-price, when they were dumping them.

Make sure you go to the Electronic Media page to get all the updates and additional maps for the program.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Nov 2005 04:32:37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  17:09:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

quote:

Hey, guys.

Thanks in advance

Is one map that's four full-size posters impressive enough for you?

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  02:55:42  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

The proper name is the Forgotten Realms Interactive Altas, which differentiates it from the Forgotten Realms Atlas, a print book by Karen Fonstad.

It's got about 8 gazillion maps in it... And it's something a lot of people want. I've seen that go for a very hefty price. Luckily, I got mine directly from TSR, for half-price, when they were dumping them.

Make sure you go to the Electronic Media to get all the updates and additional maps for the program.

Good to know

A question, it wont be here for a few days but I am very excited now about getting it. Is there any compatibility issues with the 2nd edition material I should know about? I got into FR pretty much right as D&D 3.0 was coming out. So I don't know a whole lot about the old FR material for AD&D.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  04:26:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the maps, not really... The lay of the land hasn't changed that much. With 3E, some of the empty spaces were condensed, but that's about it.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  11:44:03  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm not too sure on how you define impressive for a map...

For me, impressive usually equates with "detailed". If that's the case, then each of these large poster maps are considerably detailed -- they feature most of the more common places referenced in the Realms (and most of those mentioned in the FRCS).

Excellent point, Sage! And I´m with you in this! I like of the details, that little point with a strange name that put me to search in my books for some reference, or places with an evocative name, that put me to start do think in someone to fill the spaces, and entertain my players.

quote:
Is one map that's four full-size posters impressive enough for you?

Ho ho! It´s good to hear this, my furry friend! I like of the "good great ones" (the map of Myth Drannor of the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set is one of my "best of")

Well, I think that is time to buy some old Dragons...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  13:23:25  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

With 3E, some of the empty spaces were condensed, but that's about it.
If I remember this correctly, wasn't there a big fuss made about the fact that the realm of Erlkazar had been moved slightly from where it had originally been located in Lands of Intrigue?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  15:05:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:

If I remember this correctly, wasn't there a big fuss made about the fact that the realm of Erlkazar had been moved slightly from where it had originally been located in Lands of Intrigue?

Indeed, it was.

Steven explains -

"There's no reason why Erlkazar can't continue to exist as mapped in 2E within what they've produced in 3E. After all, the only real change to that area seems to be that they've made the entire area hilly, which it was in description anyways. If anyone's seen photos of the Scottish highlands, that's what I was going for in eastern Tethyr and Erlkazar. I think the only real change that might need to happen is to shrink farms and make them more hillside strip farms more than open fields (ala how they farmed in Peruvian highlands at Maichu Picchu et al).

Remember--the world doesn't change as much as the rules or how the gamers look at the world through those rules. After all, Elminster's been the same roguish gent he's always been, but how the rules allowed him to be seen have changed 4 times now...and he's still Elminster. Same goes for geography (sparing changes like Shade or Tilverton...)

Steven
who hopes you continue to get use out of Tethyr & environs even if WotC isn't...."

Go to Top of Page

MIGHTYMIKE
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  22:40:41  Show Profile  Visit MIGHTYMIKE's Homepage Send MIGHTYMIKE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering where I could purchase a copy of The Forgotten Realms Interactive Altas?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  23:15:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MIGHTYMIKE

I was wondering where I could purchase a copy of The Forgotten Realms Interactive Altas?

First of all, be advised that you're likely going to have to pay thru the nose for it... It's been out of production for years, and a lot of people want it.

I've heard of people finding dusty copies tucked away in the back of their game stores, but the only place I know of to look for the Atlas is on eBay. Copies pop up on there every week or two.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  23:51:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've heard of people finding dusty copies tucked away in the back of their game stores, but the only place I know of to look for the Atlas is on eBay. Copies pop up on there every week or two.
Or dragontrove.com, as I'd seen it listed on their online catalogues the last time someone here asked this question.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  00:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:

Indeed, it was.

Steven explains -

"There's no reason why Erlkazar can't continue to exist as mapped in 2E within what they've produced in 3E. After all, the only real change to that area seems to be that they've made the entire area hilly, which it was in description anyways. If anyone's seen photos of the Scottish highlands, that's what I was going for in eastern Tethyr and Erlkazar. I think the only real change that might need to happen is to shrink farms and make them more hillside strip farms more than open fields (ala how they farmed in Peruvian highlands at Maichu Picchu et al).

Remember--the world doesn't change as much as the rules or how the gamers look at the world through those rules. After all, Elminster's been the same roguish gent he's always been, but how the rules allowed him to be seen have changed 4 times now...and he's still Elminster. Same goes for geography (sparing changes like Shade or Tilverton...)

Steven
who hopes you continue to get use out of Tethyr & environs even if WotC isn't...."

Wow-I just read that section in LoI for the first time. Erlkazar is definitely the place of my next FR game, and Steven, I love you all the more now.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  02:03:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arivia, if you haven't done so already, I suggest you also read the novel Master of Chains by Jess Lebow. It takes place in Erlkazar and features some expanded novel-lore on the region Steven originally outlined in LoI.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  04:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Arivia, if you haven't done so already, I suggest you also read the novel Master of Chains by Jess Lebow. It takes place in Erlkazar and features some expanded novel-lore on the region Steven originally outlined in LoI.

Alright, thanks-and I guess I should maybe reread the Cleric Quintet while I'm at it....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000