Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Battlemage Accoutrements feat
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2005 :  20:59:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Again, a general idea I was working with. Primarily meant for those who became Raumathari battlemages, but many an eldritch knight, spellsword, or bladesinger may have also learned this skill.

Battlemage Accoutrements
Mages trained for melee combat often use magic to augment their personal defenses or attacks. However, bringing these up with speed is often a problem. Battlemages have learned to suspend some of their magics to be called upon when needed. The character can create personal spell effects that hang ready for quick release. Also, the mage learns the ability to make better use of the magic of the shield spell in particular
Prerequisites: ability to cast the shield spell, ability to cast 3rd lvl arcane spells, proficient in all simple and martial weapons, combat casting, able to read Roushoum (requires a speak language skill rank in the dead language of Raumathar)
Benefit: The character learns secrets to extend the duration of his shield spell. If the character ever casts the shield spell, its duration is naturally extended (as per the feat extend spell). In addition, the character is able to suspend use of this spell and later reactivate it as a free action. For example, a 10th lvl character could cast the shield spell and use it for 2 minutes, suspend it, reactivate it for a minute later, suspend it, and continue doing this until all 20 minutes of its duration were used up.
Also, the character learns how to craft a “spell baldric”. A spell baldric is an illusory creation which resembles a normal sword baldric (except that it glows softly). When the baldric is formed, the character is able to store up to 3 spells of 4th level or under within the baldric which he himself casts from memory. All spells to be stored must be targeted upon his person or his weapon. As a movement action, the character may cause these spells to begin to be released from the spell baldric once per round in the order in which they were placed within the spell baldric. The character may never have more than one spell baldric in existence at any one time, and he may not refill the spell slots used until the spells are released from the spell baldric.
Finally, the character learns to cast the spell magic vestments (PH, pg 251) as an arcane spell of 3rd lvl, but he is only able to teach it to someone else who takes this feat.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  00:00:04  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A good idea, but I think that, for a feat with no requirements, it's a bit too good. Maybe make it into three successive feats, the first needing a few prerequisites (one being ability to cast spells), the second, having the same prerequisites, as well as the user needing to know the first feat, and the third having the same prerequisites as the second feat, as well as needing to know the second feat.

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  00:32:05  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thureen Buroch

A good idea, but I think that, for a feat with no requirements, it's a bit too good. Maybe make it into three successive feats, the first needing a few prerequisites (one being ability to cast spells), the second, having the same prerequisites, as well as the user needing to know the first feat, and the third having the same prerequisites as the second feat, as well as needing to know the second feat.

I think that's a better idea. The original feat seems way too strong for just one feat, unless you make it the equivalent of one of the style feats that were introduced in Complete Warrior. If you make the prerequisites precise to achieve, the feat may work out wonderfully with all of its functions intact.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.

Edited by - Crennen FaerieBane on 17 Nov 2005 00:32:26
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  01:32:12  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, FaerieBane, but I don't have the Complete Warrior. Would you mind explaining to me what a "style feat" is?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  02:36:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>If you make the prerequisites precise to achieve, the feat may >>work out wonderfully with all of its functions intact.

Yeah, I just did this one today. You have a point, it needs stricter prereqs. How about the new addition at the end? This puts it open to Raumathari Battlemages and Spellswords who put some levels in (not single lvl dipping), or those willing to drop into a somewhat lesser feat in order to get these abilities (which being able to have a shield spell up more often shouldn't be too much).

Prerequisites: ability to cast the shield spell, ability to cast 3rd lvl arcane spells, proficient in all simple and martial weapons, combat casting, able to read Roushoum (requires a speak language skill rank in the dead language of Raumathar), class ability to channel a spell through your weapon OR the arcane strike feat.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  02:54:12  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that makes the feat more balanced. Might I ask, though, what is a sword baldric?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  22:04:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ah, a sword baldric is the leather "sash" that you wear from shoulder to hip and then attach your scabbard onto it. I was thinking further feats might improve upon this feat and somehow make an enchanted scabbard that casts say magic weapon or places energy damage on your weapon for you. Other additions might be a a magical helm that would block psionics or mind reading/divinatory magics or something(ala, the old zala's amberhelm). Another might improve upon your mage armor spells (for those that went Raumathari Battlemage rather than spellsword). That kind of thing.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  22:41:31  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean by a sword baldric now, Sleyvas. I knew what it was, I've just never heard it called by its true name! Excellent work, friend.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000