Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who is the best spellcaster in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  17:35:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

nice info sage, as allways. Is it a novel or book of facts. I have never heard of it before!

It's a collection of the first 3 books of Elminster series.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  19:15:15  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What... I've read the Elmister series, and yes she is dipicted as extremely powerful, but how does this become evident to a point where one would say that she was lvl 46+?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  01:38:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

quote:

nice info sage, as allways. Is it a novel or book of facts. I have never heard of it before!

It's a collection of the first 3 books of Elminster series.

It's actually more than just that. It's also a collection of Ed-lore which focus specifically on the characters, settings, and background lore of the three collected books. Plus, Ed's valuable annotations as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  11:07:38  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis
Don't know much about Larloch, but I definitely agree with the other three. The Srinshee would be tops on my list, because of the notes Ed put into "The annotated Elminster". It gave some stats on her- 46th lvl?! Plus Chosen status, and High Magic. She ended up with something like a lvl 59 or 60 stats. That's POWER.... And this was even when she was teaching El. No telling what she is now.

46th level in AD&D or 3rd edition? I'm thinking about statting her for 3 ed. and I was curious...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tren of Twilight Tower
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  19:32:28  Show Profile  Visit Tren of Twilight Tower's Homepage Send Tren of Twilight Tower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Intriguing question that hardly can have a precise answer. I like to think about Elminster as the "best", but that does not make him so. Obviously, it is matter of a personal opinion and can be argued endlessly.

In my not so humble opinion, and as some scribes have already pointed it out, the offered poll choices are very limiting and exclude some of the greatest mages (i.e. The Shadow King, Gromph, etc.). On the other hand, included are mages that are certainly better than most, yet not the top of magic pyramid (i.e. Wangerdahast and Manshoon).

Only my 101¢.

Tren
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  19:41:24  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it is a personal feel. But there are still some that are clearly better or more succesful than others!

Larloch, Iouloum, Srinshee, Elminster, Simbul so on and so forth.

Funny to think that for all the Simbul's power, she is a mageling compared to the pinnacle of magic provess in Fearūn!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  04:39:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would have been difficult for me to choose just one since I loved El ever since reading El series. But Telamont has fascinated me more.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  04:58:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tren of Twilight Tower

Intriguing question that hardly can have a precise answer. I like to think about Elminster as the "best", but that does not make him so. Obviously, it is matter of a personal opinion and can be argued endlessly.

In my not so humble opinion, and as some scribes have already pointed it out, the offered poll choices are very limiting and exclude some of the greatest mages (i.e. The Shadow King, Gromph, etc.). On the other hand, included are mages that are certainly better than most, yet not the top of magic pyramid (i.e. Wangerdahast and Manshoon).

Only my 101ļæ½.

Tren

I wonder too why Gromph was not in the list...The drow race should at least have a representive, and who else is more fitting than the archmage himself. Dyrr might be another, but then Gromph killed him.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  21:41:25  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Manshoon, was a dush... And a pathetic mage, no power at all!
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  22:43:25  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Manshoon, was a dush... And a pathetic mage, no power at all!

Hmm, actually i daresay he is quite proficient in his art, and i do believe this is a common belief? So this 'no power at all' might have been an understatement if i ever saw one :)

Edited by - Elfinblade on 06 May 2010 22:44:08
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  22:53:44  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He he... I know! Thats why I said it. Thou I do daresay that he does not seen to anything special compared to some of the top-mages!

On I side note, I killed one of his clones in less than 10 rounds without it having a chance!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  01:21:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He he... I know! Thats why I said it. Thou I do daresay that he does not seen to anything special compared to some of the top-mages!
Eh. Even though the Manshoon Wars plot wasn't followed through, that's enough for me to see that Manshoon himself was anything but a "regular mage."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  13:21:41  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I look back now at the votes and see that Karsus is only second to Elminster???

How dare that old geezer get more votes than the allmighty Karsus. I highly suggest you all change your votes to Karsus, lest he punish you upon his re-ascension to godhood.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  14:00:11  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karsus was a moron. Get over it. His failed and futile attempt at grasping for divinity got him served and then some. Why did he go after the one deity that could hold the weave together? Why not, when he had achieved that immense spell, go after some lesser deity and build his way up from there? Karsus is vastly overrated by way too many. In my opinion

Edited by - Elfinblade on 07 May 2010 14:19:56
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  15:49:07  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

Karsus was a moron. Get over it. His failed and futile attempt at grasping for divinity got him served and then some. Why did he go after the one deity that could hold the weave together? Why not, when he had achieved that immense spell, go after some lesser deity and build his way up from there? Karsus is vastly overrated by way too many. In my opinion

He knew what was going to happen. It's all part of his master scheme which only his vast intelligence can comprehend. Even his most faithful such as I have difficulty in understanding the why, but we most certainly understand the what, which is his return that is to come. That is what makes him the best. Overrated?? Underrated is more like it!!

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  16:02:24  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha... Karsus would fall to the Lord of Spells; namely Melcar Silverdragon! Manshoon fell, Dendar the Nightserpent, The Tarasque, all have fallen to the power that he wields!!!!

I have said this before and im gonna say it again! He would fall just like Larloch and Iouloum would fall!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  16:07:06  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I honestly don't know why i am getting myself involved in these kinds of discussions
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  16:09:55  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ha ha... because its fun!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  16:51:06  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

I honestly don't know why i am getting myself involved in these kinds of discussions

Because deep down inside you truly believe that Karsus is the allmighty one!

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  16:52:08  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ha... Karsus would fall to the Lord of Spells; namely Melcar Silverdragon! Manshoon fell, Dendar the Nightserpent, The Tarasque, all have fallen to the power that he wields!!!!

I have said this before and im gonna say it again! He would fall just like Larloch and Iouloum would fall!!!!

Nay. It is they who will tremble before the might of the great Lord Karsus. Even Kezef the Chaos hound whimpers at the mere thought of Karsus.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  17:45:37  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HA... The mageling Karsus bores me.!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  17:49:19  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

HA... The mageling Karsus bores me.!!!

Karsus is no mere mageling knave. He was perhaps such when he was but a babe, but his powers have far surpassed mortal understanding

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  17:59:34  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so you say... tell me again.. Is he alive? Melcar is, that alone makes him more powerful!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  18:00:06  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

so you say... tell me again.. Is he alive? Melcar is, that alone makes him more powerful!

Will be - and will be a god

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  02:33:02  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If he is so great, why is he dead?
An old joke.
Mordenkainen and Halaster for me. Until Karsus rises, I will assume that his cult is the same by it's value as cult of Ao.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  00:50:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

If he is so great, why is he dead?
An old joke.
Mordenkainen and Halaster for me. Until Karsus rises, I will assume that his cult is the same by it's value as cult of Ao.

Mystra died, but that didn't make her any less powerful than her fellow greater deities...I might not be as fanatic as Allistair, but I like Karsus too. I just voted for Telamont since he's the living emblem of the reborn Netheril, and though not as great as Karsus was/is, he's still powerful!

Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  02:10:09  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some comments. I think Elminster is slightly underated. Elminster doesn't use magic for show. He usually uses the minimum amount of power to get the job done and he often chooses subtlety over flash.A polar opposit to someone like the Simbul who will usually go into most situations with guns blazing.

I also think we often underestimate wisdom when it comes to mages. Knowing when to (or not) cast a spell is sometimes more important than the spell itself. I think Elminster is perhaps the wisest of them all.

I think Szass Tam is someone to look out for. Anyone who read the last novel of the Undead trilogy might speculate how invincible Tam really is. The minute Larloch slips up, I expect Tam to be right there to take his place. Lets not forget how close Szass Tam came to achieving total power and domination ...

The second tier of archmages: Manshoon, Gromph, Emelyn the Gray, Vanderghast, Pharaun are actually more interesting to me. Still very -extremely powerful but not necessarily ALL powerful.

Edited by - jordanz on 10 May 2010 02:17:14
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  04:19:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best spellcaster in the realms...

I'd have to say Halaster off hand...though Elminster is far more "with it" than the Blackcloak.

Though, my favorite spellcaster might be either Manshoon or the Simbul. One for cunning and patience, the other for flash and style...or both with both.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  14:29:34  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How can anyone choose anyone who is below the srinshee's level. Especially when Ed states she is the best spellcaster in fearun!!?????
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  15:09:55  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How can anyone choose anyone who is below the srinshee's level. Especially when Ed states she is the best spellcaster in fearun!!?????

Somewhat true. She comes close to Karsus in power, but not quite there yet.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000