Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who is the best spellcaster in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  15:52:54  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha ha... Yes so you say! But since she is level 54 its hard for me to see her as anything as the most powerful off all living!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  16:40:27  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Ha ha... Yes so you say! But since she is level 54 its hard for me to see her as anything as the most powerful off all living!

Hmmm...actually she is the most powerful who isn't a deity....may serve well as an Exarch of Karsus.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  17:02:43  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OHH my god you are impossible!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  17:16:33  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

OHH my god you are impossible!!!

And Karsus be that god I hope

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  22:18:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

How can anyone choose anyone who is below the srinshee's level. Especially when Ed states she is the best spellcaster in fearun!!?????

Somewhat true. She comes close to Karsus in power, but not quite there yet.

The Srinshee is powerful. But I don't think her powers can match Karsus's.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  23:06:53  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe anybody is arguing against the creator of the realms
himself. If Ed says something, then its got to be so (until published
material trumps him.)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  01:04:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

I can't believe anybody is arguing against the creator of the realms
himself. If Ed says something, then its got to be so (until published
material trumps him.)

I would think Ed ranks above the concept of "the best spellcaster." As such, you shouldn't be able to easily quantify the Ol' Bearded One's position in Realmsspace.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 12 May 2010 01:06:36
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  03:22:22  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh? Could you rewrite that sentence, Sage?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  04:10:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I meant, that you really can't vote for Ed because he's not actually in the setting.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  04:23:40  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, I don't think althen's voting for Ed; he's voting for the Srinshee, whom I believe actually is a more powerful arcane spellcaster than Karsus. She's certainly a more successful one; I mean, Karsus' greatest accomplishment was killing the god he was trying to help.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  05:07:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So he is... my bad. I must've misread his post.

I think I need more sleep.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  05:28:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I think I need more sleep.

To-Do List, Volume XVII, page 320. Entered on January 2nd, 2003.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  06:39:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You don't have those other volumes handy, eh? I seem to have misplaced my copies.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  13:23:58  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I meant, that you really can't vote for Ed because he's not actually in the setting.

Well if Elminster has visited our world I am sure he brought Ed along to visit the realms a few times, so in a sense, he is in the setting (albeit only sometimes)

Go to Top of Page

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  21:34:47  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with Ed.
I think that the best spellcaster is Srinshee and being a feminist I find it great that the best one is a woman.
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  01:26:32  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Magus Rages

Hello everyone, I had just thought of a question and had been wondering for some time. All right, this poll asks all the scribes, veteran and elite scribes of candlekeep who you think is the best, most powerful, most superior spellcaster in the realms in terms of your own opinion, not based on some stats. A honest vote and honest reply is greatly appreciated, I express my thanks to all in advance. Thank you.

well, befoe I vote, might I ask on what grounds we ar talking here?

because Elminster is widely regarded as the most powerful and knowledgable of Magic in the Realms. he has definitely an innate understanding and connection with the Weave which cannot be denied. in that sense, he is like an extension of Mystra herself.

in contrast, Manshoon has proven himself the most talented mage in the Realms. he has unlocked secrets which to this day, nobody else has managed to duplicate. he has cloned himself numerous times and they all activated at once (which by the way, makes me wonder what exactly happened to his Soul/Spirit), and furthermore he has afterwards overcome the bug in that incredible feat of Spellcraft (the doppleganger-killing compulsion which pitted his clones against one another).

Khelben is by far the wisest Mage in teh Realms, in my personal honest opinion, and I think that that should account for something.

I wouldn't put Halaster Blackcloak in the top list on my personal opinion, though that isn't to say he deserves no consideration. I just personally think he's far too mad to count. he's powerful, yes, but nothing compared to the other mages. in most games that include an insane hermit wizard, said wizard has some kind of secret knowledge which poses a serious threat to the entire world. Halaster doesn't live up to that legacy. he'd make an awesome opponent in a Mage Duel though. =w=

so, I think my top three choices are Elminster, Khelben and Manshoon, depending on what qualities count for this question.

and a heart can only break so many times
and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
a heart can only break so many times
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  01:52:56  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Sage, did you ever get that sleep yet?
Or are you a new world record holder???
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  02:10:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So Sage, did you ever get that sleep yet?
Or are you a new world record holder???

Not as much as I'd like. The summer evenings here have been quite warm and very uncomfortable.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  03:58:27  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its called air conditioning. Check it out.
Wonderful device, really.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  14:59:48  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jelennet

I totally agree with Ed.
I think that the best spellcaster is Srinshee and being a feminist I find it great that the best one is a woman.

And yet, in the only story with Srinshee, she was not doing a whole lot, while the Simbul showed up and wrecked face.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  15:01:12  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChieftainTwilight

quote:

Hello everyone, I had just thought of a question and had been wondering for some time. All right, this poll asks all the scribes, veteran and elite scribes of candlekeep who you think is the best, most powerful, most superior spellcaster in the realms in terms of your own opinion, not based on some stats. A honest vote and honest reply is greatly appreciated, I express my thanks to all in advance. Thank you.

because Elminster is widely regarded as the most powerful and knowledgable of Magic in the Realms. he has definitely an innate understanding and connection with the Weave which cannot be denied. in that sense, he is like an extension of Mystra herself.

in contrast, Manshoon has proven himself the most talented mage in the Realms. he has unlocked secrets which to this day, nobody else has managed to duplicate. he has cloned himself numerous times and they all activated at once (which by the way, makes me wonder what exactly happened to his Soul/Spirit), and furthermore he has afterwards overcome the bug in that incredible feat of Spellcraft (the doppleganger-killing compulsion which pitted his clones against one another).

Khelben is by far the wisest Mage in teh Realms, in my personal honest opinion, and I think that that should account for something.

I wouldn't put Halaster Blackcloak in the top list on my personal opinion, though that isn't to say he deserves no consideration. I just personally think he's far too mad to count. he's powerful, yes, but nothing compared to the other mages. in most games that include an insane hermit wizard, said wizard has some kind of secret knowledge which poses a serious threat to the entire world. Halaster doesn't live up to that legacy. he'd make an awesome opponent in a Mage Duel though. =w=

so, I think my top three choices are Elminster, Khelben and Manshoon, depending on what qualities count for this question.

Unless we are talking about the possibility of a Manshoon behind the scenes manipulating all his clones like puppets, he really does not belong in the conversation. Elminster has made him look like an inept bum every confrontation.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  01:10:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

quote:

Unless we are talking about the possibility of a Manshoon behind the scenes manipulating all his clones like puppets, he really does not belong in the conversation. Elminster has made him look like an inept bum every confrontation.

I wholeheartedly AGREE!

I don't like roaches, anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  01:13:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Perhaps she was holding back? Or maybe she believed there's no point showing what she could really do because there were others who could it for her, and just as effectively too. As the old adage goes, "Why do it when you can trust others to do it for you?"

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  03:03:45  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:

quote:

Perhaps she was holding back? Or maybe she believed there's no point showing what she could really do because there were others who could it for her, and just as effectively too. As the old adage goes, "Why do it when you can trust others to do it for you?"

It is up to whoever is reading really.
Srinshee looked pretty inept vs Larloch's pet liches though. Her reputation may be just that. Reputation.

Ed has been known to pimp certain people up in his talks. The Manshoon manipulator behind the scenes puppetmastering all his clones was something Ed hinted at, saying perhaps Elminster would want nothing to do with the true Manshoon, etc

Hints about everything have been dropped here or there if you know where to look. There really is no "best caster" answer because everything dropped is just subtle tidbits designed to get the gamers creative juices flowing. You can make up a million answers and still be right
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  00:46:32  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wholeheartedly AGREE!

how so? the fact of the matter is, the act of creating those clone sin th efirst place was a marvel of Spellcasting that NOBODY else has duplicated! and further, whil ethe original Manshoon may in fct be dead (unless one of them realy is the real one, somehow, as it's still a mystery exactly how that cloning spell variant worked), all the remaining ones who survived assassination have ovecome the strange bug in the spell that compelled them to kill eachother. yes, they might not be th ebest after all, but still they DO warrant appropriate place in this discussion! they are well in the running!

so, I have to seriously check your nerve in just writing Manshoon off just lik ethat. you realy are not taking into account the sheer ingenuity of Manshoon as a Mage, let alon ethe power and experience it would take to perform such an incredble magical technique as he did. he is just as worthy of being considered for the "Best Caster" position.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  03:12:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I might be impressed by his ingenuity [highly questionable world to attach to a roach, really] had he focused on making his clones nigh-indestructible, than on their numbers. Elminster blasted them in every confrontation as though they're pests, which, come to think of it, they really must be. [Insert evil laugh here!]

Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  15:01:47  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Larloch, Karsus and Azuth as a mortal are/were all arguably better spell casters than everyone on the first list. Each one of them could(or did!) take on and possibly beat demigods.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  16:54:40  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wholeheartedly AGREE!

how so? the fact of the matter is, the act of creating those clone sin th efirst place was a marvel of Spellcasting that NOBODY else has duplicated! and further, whil ethe original Manshoon may in fct be dead (unless one of them realy is the real one, somehow, as it's still a mystery exactly how that cloning spell variant worked), all the remaining ones who survived assassination have ovecome the strange bug in the spell that compelled them to kill eachother. yes, they might not be th ebest after all, but still they DO warrant appropriate place in this discussion! they are well in the running!

so, I have to seriously check your nerve in just writing Manshoon off just lik ethat. you realy are not taking into account the sheer ingenuity of Manshoon as a Mage, let alon ethe power and experience it would take to perform such an incredble magical technique as he did. he is just as worthy of being considered for the "Best Caster" position.

Yes, Manshoon created a spell which allows him to come back to life at great personal cost to himself. It is an ingenious spell, but hardly the only super spell created, and in the context of this conversation, does not lead me to believe Manshoon belongs in the company of these other powerful characters.

The spell exists simply because he is utterly incapable of defeating most of those on the list in a spell duel. To me, that makes them better casters.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  23:08:07  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About the Srinshee being all reputation, consider this, almost all
the major power player wizards in the realms act through proxies.
She didn't need to expend her power because she didn't NEED to.
After she abducted El, she knew that the Simbul would show up.
She most likely conserved her power in case the Man himself (Larloch)
showed up.

If you don't believe me, ask Ed.
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  04:18:43  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wholeheartedly AGREE!

Yes, Manshoon created a spell which allows him to come back to life at great personal cost to himself. It is an ingenious spell, but hardly the only super spell created, and in the context of this conversation, does not lead me to believe Manshoon belongs in the company of these other powerful characters.

The spell exists simply because he is utterly incapable of defeating most of those on the list in a spell duel. To me, that makes them better casters.

that still doesn't undo my main point though. that "Best Caster" depends on what criteria.

Manshoon is the most Ingenious, Elminster is the most Powerfull and Knowledgeable, and Khelben is the Wisest and most Cunning.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly