Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Erik Mona Contemplating Regular FR Articles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  04:11:23  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Erik Mona on the Paizo site has been mentioning that he is looking at adding a regular Forgotten Realms monthly slot (as well as Eberron) to the magazine. The article would not always be the same, but there would always be at least one article about FR in there per month.

While a lot of naysayers on the sight keep saying that they should rarely put in setting specific info, Erik has said that sales aren't incresing at the level he wants them to and that they do have numbers that show that setting specific issues do bring in readers from those settings.

I mentioned that I have talked to some of my fellow scribes that no longer regularly buy Dragon because of the non specific time period. I am interested in seeing if any of you that have left Dragon would come back if there was a regular FR article in it.

The thread is located here:

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/dragon/generalDiscussion/erikSQuestionInLettersIssue336

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  04:14:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they promised to include an FR article in each issue of Dragon, then Id pay out for a yearly Subscription

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  05:41:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I am interested in seeing if any of you that have left Dragon would come back if there was a regular FR article in it.
For me at least, it would entirely depend on the type of content these articles will focus on, as well as who will be responsible for writing them.

If the articles look set to focus almost exclusively on "crunchy" material... then I feel that there really isn't a good reason for me to alter my already established (and time-tested) method of occasionally buying individual issues of either DRAGON or DUNGEON with subjects that pique my interest. If on the other hand there's to be significant amounts of Realmslore included with these articles... then I would certainly spend a few moments to re-consider my option on whether or not to put myself down for a yearly subscription.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Sep 2005 05:43:55
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  08:04:10  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've bought the latest copies, simply due to the fact that they've included Realms-articles (and even the "crunchy" article Relics of the Realms in #333 had a couple of interesting tidbits lorewise.
As for getting a yearly subscription - if I but the magazines in the same store as I do now, the dollar needs to become a bit cheaper first, because at the moment it's more expensive for me to pay for a subscription than to buy the issues one-by-one (unless you include the train-fare, but it's not like I go down to Gothenburg for the sole purpose of purchasing a new DRAGON)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 10 Sep 2005 08:04:20
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  10:15:22  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I've bought the latest copies, simply due to the fact that they've included Realms-articles (and even the "crunchy" article Relics of the Realms in #333 had a couple of interesting tidbits lorewise.
As for getting a yearly subscription - if I but the magazines in the same store as I do now, the dollar needs to become a bit cheaper first, because at the moment it's more expensive for me to pay for a subscription than to buy the issues one-by-one (unless you include the train-fare, but it's not like I go down to Gothenburg for the sole purpose of purchasing a new DRAGON)

Wow that must be some discount at the store, or they are raping you on postage.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  10:30:45  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Well I haven't missed an issue of Dragon since, well since I started around issue 180. The inclusion of a guarenteed FR article will definately be welcomed and will certainly make me a great deal more excited and put my faith back into the publication

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  10:54:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Erik has been really shying away from "crunch for crunch sake" lately. So while we might see new spells or monsters (a time honored Realms article tradition), prestige classes would be less likely.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  14:30:02  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Wow that must be some discount at the store, or they are raping you on postage.

No idea, maybe the store I purchase my DRAGONs was lucky with the money-exchange when they placed their orders? Their price is uncannily low, though. A different store about 2 minutes walk away also sell DRAGON Magazine, but about 45 SKr more expensive (between 5 and 6$ most of the time...). Guess how many I've bought from there?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 10 Sep 2005 15:28:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  14:37:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Well I haven't missed an issue of Dragon since, well since I started around issue 180. The inclusion of a guarenteed FR article will definately be welcomed and will certainly make me a great deal more excited and put my faith back into the publication

Ditto, save for one thing: I started with issue 163.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  23:02:11  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two named-world-specific articles per issue has been the norm for much of Dragon's run, the case that they're less useable in your own campaign world has never been made, and I see no reason to change the tradition. Given that the number of people who can write and are likely to propose or submit first-rate Realms or Eberron articles is relatively small, there's no danger of the magazine publishing too much of them that I can see. I think the 'steal little bits from everything' aspect of the D&D culture is a mind-numbing dead end, and if I was Erik I'd try to foster an environment in which articles like Ed's original ones can flourish and maybe new campaign worlds -- the main artistic achievements in the D&D culture -- can emerge.
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

And Erik has been really shying away from "crunch for crunch sake" lately. So while we might see new spells or monsters (a time honored Realms article tradition), prestige classes would be less likely.
It still vaguely surprises me that in the discussions of 'crunch' people so often don't distinguish between rules content that's necessary to support new world elements -- as in the case of monsters and spells -- and rules content that isn't needed because the rules handle the elements already -- as with most prestige classes and feats.

Edited by - Faraer on 10 Sep 2005 23:03:43
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  23:55:54  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would definitely sign up if I knew that once per month I would get a quality (QUALITY) FR item. I don't want a article that has to do with absolutely nothing that may have been for the core setting. But I do like Dragon since Mona took over and I think the addition to their article spread would enhance the magazine overall.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000