Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Citadels Series
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  21:40:50  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your book definitely sounds intriguing.

I'm really hoping one of the other books in the Citadels series deals with one or both of the Amnian citadels, Amnur and Rashturl. That country really has been overlooked in recent years (other than the brief blurb in PoF, of course).

Edited by - nbnmare on 28 Mar 2007 21:46:50
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  13:10:30  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks nbnmare. I'm afraid I don't know the locales of the other books in the series but I agree that something in that area would be great.

http://www.edgentry.com
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  17:11:13  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to this. Veldorn is a personal favourite of mine that I've yet to see much explored.
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  17:54:16  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
South lovers unite! Fantastic, Na-Gang. Glad to hear others enjoy that area as well. This is great!

I really hope you enjoy the book.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  03:07:59  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EdGentry
[A particular type of extra-creepy creature plays a major role in the story and, as far as I know, this creature has never appeared in a Realms novel before. Note: I could easily be wrong about that.

I think I'll stop there for now. I can try and answer questions, of course.

Thanks everyone.

Ohhhhhhhhh!!!

The Dreaded..... Ned Flanders!!!

It was only a mater of time before he was unleasehd!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  14:57:05  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I could write a creepy Ned Flanders given the opportunity!

That is...if you don't already find him creepy.

Edited by - EdGentry on 30 Mar 2007 14:57:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  17:29:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think I could write a creepy Ned Flanders given the opportunity!

That is...if you don't already find him creepy.

He already is kinda cree-diddley-eepy.

I'm looking forward to reading about Veldorn, meself. 'Tis an intriguing and sparsely detailed area.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  20:48:24  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly,

I'm so glad to see so many interested in Veldorn. When I got some input from Mr. Greenwood himself, even he expressed interest due to the relative lack of coverage of that area. That felt pretty good, I have to say.

Edited by - EdGentry on 30 Mar 2007 20:51:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2007 :  01:16:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! I'm particularly happy to hear that...

It'll be interesting to see what you can do with what limited Realmslore with have on Veldorn, Ed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2007 :  02:02:42  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Sage. I hope you enjoy it.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2007 :  01:36:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Neversfall is set in the Shining South. I'm glad someone else is excited about the South, Rinonalyrna. As folks may remember that's where my short story from RoTDII was set. I've loved the area ever since I first read about it in the FRCS. The Shining South book added to that, of course.

Neversfall takes place in the wilds of Veldorn with characters from Estagund and Durpar for the most part. There are others from other locales but in minor roles.

I have to be careful of what I say, of course, but I think it's safe to say that I feel that one of the major themes is personal growth and change.

Double awesome! The novel takes place in the South, which I do love, and has the theme of personal growth, which I also love.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2007 :  15:54:32  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent, Rinonalyrna. I really hope you enjoy it. Perhaps you (and others for that matter) would consider doing an Amazon review for me after you read the book.

Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2007 :  20:05:00  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed, I'm also looking forward to reading your book. Hope you'll be willing to answer some questions in the book club!

I'd probably also do a review on the german site of Amazon, although I don't know how much that will help .

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2007 :  20:46:32  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Braveheart,

Thank you very much! I can't tell you all how nice it feels to have folks looking forward to the book.

I'll take any Amazon review I can get, regardless of language-base!

I am always happy to answer any questions I can. I'd love to participate in a book club thread when the time comes and in any other pertinent threads before then.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  00:25:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Excellent, Rinonalyrna. I really hope you enjoy it. Perhaps you (and others for that matter) would consider doing an Amazon review for me after you read the book.

All right, I'll consider it. And either way I'll definitely comment on it in the Book Club right here.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 03 Apr 2007 00:26:04
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  08:21:29  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

South lovers unite! Fantastic, Na-Gang. Glad to hear others enjoy that area as well. This is great!

I really hope you enjoy the book.

I stumbled across the Wizards entry for the book while doing Realms-research this past weekend, and it's definitely on my list of things to wait for. Here's another fan who wasn't satisfied with the paragraph or two alloted to the Shining Lands in the FRCS. ~_^

And as a student/amateur writer myself, congrats on the book!

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  14:08:22  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daviot,

Thanks so much! I really appreciate that. I hope you enjoy the book.

Have you seen the Shining South resource book by Thomas Reid? It's fantastic with loads of information on the South.

Edited by - EdGentry on 04 Apr 2007 14:08:45
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  10:26:30  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have you seen the Shining South resource book by Thomas Reid? It's fantastic with loads of information on the South.

Of course! I have a copy. That's why I'm so very interested.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Seismo
Acolyte

New Zealand
28 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  07:29:00  Show Profile  Visit Seismo's Homepage Send Seismo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats Ed.
Defintely looking forward to this one.

J
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  13:28:38  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, Justin. I really appreciate all the support.

Go to Top of Page

Seismo
Acolyte

New Zealand
28 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2007 :  06:42:04  Show Profile  Visit Seismo's Homepage Send Seismo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any possibility of an e-signing Ed?
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2007 :  18:20:19  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Any possibility of an e-signing Ed?

Oh absolutely. If there's any interest in such a thing, I'd be more than glad to do so.

Thank you very much for asking, J.

Go to Top of Page

Seismo
Acolyte

New Zealand
28 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2007 :  08:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Seismo's Homepage Send Seismo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed,

any chance of getting an inside to the writing process for Neversfall, especially as a first-time novelist? info on any other projects?

i'm sure the other scribes here at candlekeep would appreciate any forthcoming insights into the mind of Gentry.

Justin
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2007 :  21:43:00  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Justin,

Thanks so much for asking. I've been thinking that I need to do a little write-up of my overall thoughts on the novel-writing process now that it's done. Sort of a "What did I learn" type of thing. I'll do so soon and post it here as well as on my site.

As for my next project, I have two or three short stories that I have been working on for a while that I hope to finish soon. Then I'll try and find homes for them, of course.

I'm sorting through some design work right now as well. My first adventure module will appear in a Goodman Games anthology that is forthcoming and I may have some more design work coming soon.

I have an idea for another Realms novel that I need to put some finishing touches on, but I hope to pitch that to the WotC editors soon as well.

In addition, I have now seen the cover mock-up for Neversfall and was blown away. I hope I can share it soon as I just think it's really exciting and feel certain folks will love it.

I'll have another piece of news soon as well, but that's got to remain super-secret for now.

Thanks again for asking. I'll post that write-up soon.

Take care.

Go to Top of Page

Seismo
Acolyte

New Zealand
28 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  08:41:08  Show Profile  Visit Seismo's Homepage Send Seismo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't want to steal your thunder...

But Amazon's got the steal on you!

Neversfall's image is up and it's looking great.

I like the subtle inclusion of 'Ed Gentry' into the image as well.

Justin
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  13:59:29  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Justin,

Actually that's a false cover :)Turns out that when books get moved up in their schedules, it's pretty common to use part of a cover from another book as a temporary cover for the new book so that catalogs (like Random House or Amazon) can show something instead of a blank nothing.

That's the case with my book at this point. If that cover at Amazon looks familiar, it's because it's part of (a small portion, really blown up and smoothed out) R.A. Salvatore's Hunter's Blade Trilogy Collector's Edition cover, heh.

How cool is that?

My real cover is coming and will be up soon. As I said, I'm blown away by the real one :)

Go to Top of Page

Seismo
Acolyte

New Zealand
28 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  07:41:31  Show Profile  Visit Seismo's Homepage Send Seismo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yikes.

Go to Top of Page

SheriffJoe
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  23:38:47  Show Profile  Visit SheriffJoe's Homepage Send SheriffJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Amazon dot com comes this exciting tidbit of information regarding Ed Gentry's NEVERSFALL:

Neversfall was supposed to be Estagund's stronghold in the wilds of monster-ridden Veldorn, an unassailable citadel to protect the southern lands. Then the regiment holding Neversfall disappeared, leaving no hint of what took them. The replacement forces find themselves attacked from both within and without the fortress's walls. Besieged by monsters and men, a mercenary captain and an elite warrior must work together to discover out who their enemy really is.

Now, who are the other authors and what are their stories? Inquiring minds want to know!!
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2007 :  15:28:00  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joe,

Thanks for the bump :)

I'm afraid I can't share the other author's names (that's for them to announce when they're given their respective go-aheads) and I have no idea what their stories are or where they're set.

Hopefully the correct cover will be reflected on Amazon soon. I can't wait for everyone to see it. It's quite something.

Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2007 :  14:50:55  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been fortunate enough to garner a couple of blurbs from some excellent authors for my upcoming book, Neversfall, and I wanted to share them with all the fine folks here.

More thanks than I can count go out to Paul Kemp and Elaine Cunningham for the contribution of their time in reading my manuscript and agreeing to blurb it. What really makes me lucky, though, is that these two excellent people have been kind enough to nurture my writing aspirations since even before the book. They've always been kind and generous with the advice and a tuned-in ear.

Here's what they had to say about the book.

"Neversfall features compelling characters and an equally compelling plot. Ed Gentry’s voice is a welcome addition to the Realms."
-Paul Kemp

"Honorable soldiers face off against greed and treachery in the Shining South. In the formians, Ed Gentry achieves a genuine sense of “otherness.” If you’re tired of monsters that are nothing but humans with scales, feathers, or carapaces, you’ll love these guys."
-Elaine Cunningham

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000