Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Help a guy out....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2005 :  03:45:41  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm really at a loss right now. I can't decide which novel/series to read next and I'm hoping all the knowledgeable scribes here at candlekeep to lend me some advice. Here are the books I own but have not yet read....

Maztica Series
Scions of Arabar
House of Serpents
Erevis Cale Series
Priests Series
Rogues (except Alabastor Staff)
Finders Stone
Lost Gods
Empires Trilogy
Twighlight Giants
Elminster Series
Shadows of Avatar
Counselors and Kings
Starlight and Shadows
Moonshae Trilogy
Threat from the Sea
War of the Spider Queen (refuse to read until all are in paperback)

Wow, that sounds like a lot. Here are the ones I have read in case it matters, such as don't read Cale until you read Sembia...

All things Salvatore
Shandril Saga
Cormyr Series
Return of the Archwizards
Song and Swords
Evermeet
Sembia Series
Year of Rogue Dragons
Last Mythal

Wow, I thought I was doing well until I actually put into writing how much I need to reed. Some additional info that may be helpful...

Favorite Realms novel so far: Crucible: Trial of Cyric the Mad
Least Favorite Realms novel(s) so far: Cleric Quintet books 2-5

Any help would be appreciated...

Edited by - Chosen of Bane on 24 Jul 2005 04:24:45

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2005 :  04:35:23  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say the War of the Spider Queen series, even though not all of them are in paperback. I have to say that they're the best series of books and even betters the Sembia series.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2005 :  05:10:58  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster series. It's a must, especially for all the Realmslore in those novels.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2005 :  05:28:38  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Return of The Archwizards and Song and Swords series are a must read series as well, I would start reading them first if I were you.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2005 :  07:04:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say go with Songs & Swords, then Starlight & Shadows, then the Finder's Stone trilogy, then Counselors & Kings.

Two of the three Lost Gods books kinda go with the Finder's Stone trilogy, in that we have a character from that trilogy in these books. Also, in the third Lost Gods book, we get a glimpse or two of some Finder's Stone characters.

I have to disagree with Shadovar on the Return of the Archwizards trilogy. I, personally, couldn't stand those books, and won't recommend them to anyone.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Phaerimm Bane
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2005 :  08:39:12  Show Profile  Visit Phaerimm Bane's Homepage Send Phaerimm Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say I will start with the Avatar Series, followed by Moonshae Trilogy and the Saga of Shandril. These books i find very worthy of reading first.

A phaerimm? Let me butcher it!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2005 :  08:43:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

I'm really at a loss right now. I can't decide which novel/series to read next and I'm hoping all the knowledgeable scribes here at candlekeep to lend me some advice. Here are the books I own but have not yet read....
I was going to suggest the 'Sembia' series, until I noticed that you'd already read them .

Looking at your listing, I'd have to go with the Furry Hamster's suggestions -- 'Songs & Swords', then 'Starlight & Shadows', then the 'Finder's Stone' trilogy, and finally 'Counselors & Kings'. After them, I'd move directly on to Ed's 'Elminster' series.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2005 :  12:22:34  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Song and Swords, Avatar, and Return of the Archwizards are all books on the "already read" list. Thanks though.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2005 :  14:50:12  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dispite that fact that I like most of Troy Dennings work, ROTAW can't really be considered required reading since it really doesn't seem to settle anything. About the only thing useful that you find out is what specifically happened to Tilverton, everything else is just a long drawn out look at the characters that he made up.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2005 :  23:54:43  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Satrlight and Shadows or The Elminster series....

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  00:20:50  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Starlight and Shadows it is....thanks everyone for the advice.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  12:34:59  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am currently reading the "War of the Spider Queen". Great books. I am a succer for huge plots and great worldwide adventures. Especially in the underdark. I can recommend them. Otherwise the moonshae books are a true hit... Great entertainment.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  15:00:49  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

Maztica Series
Scions of Arabar
House of Serpents
Erevis Cale Series
Priests Series
Rogues (except Alabastor Staff)
Finders Stone
Lost Gods
Empires Trilogy
Twighlight Giants
Elminster Series
Shadows of Avatar
Counselors and Kings
Starlight and Shadows
Moonshae Trilogy
Threat from the Sea
War of the Spider Queen (refuse to read until all are in paperback)

Wow, that sounds like a lot. Here are the ones I have read in case it matters, such as don't read Cale until you read Sembia...

All things Salvatore
Shandril Saga
Cormyr Series
Return of the Archwizards
Song and Swords
Evermeet
Sembia Series
Year of Rogue Dragons
Last Mythal

Wow, I thought I was doing well until I actually put into writing how much I need to reed. Some additional info that may be helpful...

Favorite Realms novel so far: Crucible: Trial of Cyric the Mad
Least Favorite Realms novel(s) so far: Cleric Quintet books 2-5

Any help would be appreciated...

If you enjoyed the Cormyr trilogy, the Empires trilogy may be a good next series. For Realmslore, I recommend Elminster series and Shadows of the Avatar. My two personal favorites are Counselors and Kings and Erevis Cale, which I highly recommend.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2005 :  10:44:12  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd start with WotSQ

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2005 :  11:06:23  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
City of Ravens is still my favorite FR book.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000