Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Salvatores "not as famous" books
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Deneir
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  01:56:51  Show Profile  Visit Deneir's Homepage Send Deneir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Echos of the 4th magic series, Crimson Shadows series, The woods out back series.

Who has read these books?
What did you think?
Why don't you think there as commonly read as other salvatore books?

Also what about Salvatore's Tarzan book???

I have read all these books and thought they we typical Salvatore masterpeices. Also "The woods out back" was the books that started me on this path. I think that these books weren't read as much because of there titles aren't very intising (just my opinion)>

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  02:28:32  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please tell me you just forgot to add The Demonwars Saga, as it is by far RAS's BEST WORK EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! (this coming from arguably the biggest Drizzt fan in Michigan)

i know this is a FR board but since this is an OT let me add

ANYONE THAT HASNT READ DEMONWARS, YOU ARE MISSING OUT ON A WONDERFUL ADVENTURE.

but all of RAS's books are good.

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

Deneir
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  02:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Deneir's Homepage Send Deneir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't get me wrong I've read and loved all of the current Demon Wars but i think that they are definatly more read than the other books I've listed.

And personally can't wait until Immortalis it's going to be GREAT
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  04:11:40  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read R.A. Salvatore's book, the Woods Out Back, and I thought it was good, but I like his FR books better and am trying to read more about FR. I think this is the main reason most people haven't read R.A. Salvatore's "not as famous" books. People look for FR, not just R.A. Salvatore's books. Not that I'm saying they aren't good books, though. I enjoyed reading the Woods Out Back.
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  18:12:21  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not gotten into the other Salvatore book, the only ones that i have really read is the Drizzt series, and i am halfway through the Cleric Quintet. But i am going to get around to reading all of the forgotten realms books and the rest of Salvatore's books.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  18:20:01  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Demon Wars Saga is an awesome series I have only scratched the surface on it. They are not as famous because of Salvatore's books on Drizzt. Salvatore also wrote Star Wars:Attack of the Clones I believe.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us around every corner.
-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  20:34:10  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have only read Crimson Shadow of the three listed above. I can only say that the little halfling is quite a character.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  19:59:27  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all, the trilogy is called the Spearwielder's Tale, not the "Woods Out Back series." Names are important, folks!

Second, I think that the reason that those books, as well as Echoes of the Fourth Magic and its sequels, are not as widely read is because they belong to the contemporary fantasy genre. Worse (as my brother thinks), they belong to what I call "transfer fantasy." You know, the contemporary-Earth-human-usually-an-American-who-gets-sucked-into-a-magic-world sort of story. My brother hates those, prefering straight fantasy. I love 'em.

I write for fun, as does my brother. I prefer contemporary/transfer fantasy when I write, and I wish that this genre was more widely read.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

kellinjar
Acolyte

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  01:59:31  Show Profile  Visit kellinjar's Homepage Send kellinjar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i've read the crimson shadow series as well as the spearwielders series.. both excellent, I'm a big fan of 'transfer fantasy' and if anyone is looking for more I recommend Joel Rosenbergs 'Guardians of the flames' series..has a very interesting plot mechanism for 'transfer' part...as well as a new series (its in its 4th book from what I understand its going to 7 books) by Mark Anthony called uhm..let me check my bookshelf...The Last Rune...as well as another Joel Rosenberg series called 'Keepers of the Hidden Ways' its also around book 4 and I think looks like 7 books.. though I haven't seen a new one in awhile
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  05:26:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've read the Guardians of the Flame books, or anyway, the first three books. I found it in a used book store (great places, I hardly ever go to a retail store now, unless it's a book just out) as a single hardbacked book. I love those . . . . Anyway, you're right. That transfer is pretty unique in my experience. As for the Mark Anthony ones, I've got the first and third books. I can't seem to find the second, and I want to read them all at once. I had a feeling they'd be good (and I guess you've confirmed that).

Hey, anyone read Salvatore's Tales from Tethedril? I've got the book, but haven't gotten around to reading it . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000