Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 D&D Miniatures
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2005 :  19:15:54  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm curious to hear what models people use for there games. I've never really considered it, having used sketched maps when neccesary. I'm interested in looking into this, but the only suitable figures I've found are the WotC ones, which are hardly the best quality. I've also been considering Confrontation models, but am still undecided, as they would only be able to provide the human characters.

So what type of models do you use?

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2005 :  19:46:07  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the D&D minis. The recent sets look pretty good, considering the price, and they are prepainted. Angelfire and Underdark seem to be very cool, so I'm looking forward to them. Deathknell was decent. You gotta love uncommon trolls and ogres.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2005 :  21:57:51  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Problem with Confrontation figures is they are Expensive, just as bad as Games Workshop figures pricewise. They are pretty though, and I do own several.

The figures that alot of the people in my group use are the ones from Dark Reaper. Reasonably prices, and generally of fairly good quality.

I use a mix of figures from all lines though, as long as it is of the right size, and is what I'm looking for.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2005 :  22:54:30  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only point I disslike about the D&D models, is that they are prepainted. I would like a range I could convert to make significant characters etc.

Thanks for the point about Dark Reaper. I'll look into that now. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  19:01:01  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a mix of a lot of different minis. I use:

1) The official DnD minis. I find that you can buy a lot of the uncommon ones cheaply on ebay, which can help reduce the cost to get that group of 8 hobgoblins or wolves. Also, you can buy someo specific ones (like elementals) in groups for not too much.

2) I do have some Warhammer figures. I have a bunch of orcs, which are great. I did buy a militia box and have put together a bunch of humans with leather armor. They are very nice, but expensive.

3) Mageknight figures. I find you can buy a lot of these on ebay for very cheap prices. For the medium sized creatures, I find you can cut the figures off the bases and cut them into a square that fits into your map. The large creatures don't need to be cut at all. I found this to be the best option. I found "tribal brutes" that go for 25-cents each that are terrific ogres or hill giants. They have a whole lot of different figures to choose form. Great hags, for example. Werewolves are better then the official ones, too. I recommend going to the MageKnights website and scrolling through all the different ones they have. Some of them are mighty nice. You don't have to touch them up with paint, but sometimes they look a little better. Cheap gargoyles can be had, too. Great undead.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  21:26:54  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being somewhat of a stingy type, I would (since I lack a group to play with right now I'll have to use that tense) probably re-paint my old self-moulded miniature's of early 18th-century Swedish and Russian soldiers in different colours and use as represantations of the different characters. (Blue = Orc, Green = Goblin, Black = Kobold, and so forth.)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  21:45:32  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the DnD prepainted minis. They have a little better selection for the campaigns that I'm in, and the right way that the characters need to look. Like my bladesinger one, or even some of the drow fighters.

But mostly, my groups don't aim for specific ones. We just use whichever one looks remotely like our characters. (though the bladesinger just happened to suit one of mine ).

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  20:03:11  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lucius

The only point I disslike about the D&D models, is that they are prepainted. I would like a range I could convert to make significant characters etc.

Reaper minis are excellent, the unpainted D&D minis are cool too, if you can still find them. I have always haunted the game shops, buying everything I can when they go on clearance. I use Warhammer, Ral Partha, and anything I can get my hands on for a cheap price. Also, Hackmaster minis are great, they were quickly becoming my favorite before I quit painting because I returned to college, got married, and had a daughter. To see some examples, follow this link http://imageevent.com/chambersfamily/dd/minis these are minis I painted. 1-3 are Hackmaster, 4 is D&D, 5 is Reaper, 6 is Ral Partha, 7 I can't remember, and 8-10 are Chronopia.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  20:13:53  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have actually converted some of the prepainted D&D minis, it's actually easier than you might think. For one, you can do it with an exacto knife rather than a dremel tool, and you can use super-glue instead of green stuff. You can reposition arms, etc, by cutting them off and shaving the limb to fit at a different angle, then reattaching it. Of course, you probably want to have plenty of extras, but I usually buy by the case, so I always hundreds of common and uncommons lying around. Many of these minis have good sculpts, just poor paint jobs, a light coat of primer and a repaint can make a world of difference.

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  06:29:32  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

I have actually converted some of the prepainted D&D minis, it's actually easier than you might think. For one, you can do it with an exacto knife rather than a dremel tool, and you can use super-glue instead of green stuff. You can reposition arms, etc, by cutting them off and shaving the limb to fit at a different angle, then reattaching it. Of course, you probably want to have plenty of extras, but I usually buy by the case, so I always hundreds of common and uncommons lying around. Many of these minis have good sculpts, just poor paint jobs, a light coat of primer and a repaint can make a world of difference.

My problem with D&D Minis is the material is too flimsy for my taste.
I would almost rather they be made of the same material that the WizKids (Mage Knight) figures are made of.
I almost wish they would go back to lead minis, instead of the pewter. Lead was much easier to work on, but I do understand the environmental reasons.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  03:53:23  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

quote:

My problem with D&D Minis is the material is too flimsy for my taste.
I would almost rather they be made of the same material that the WizKids (Mage Knight) figures are made of.
I almost wish they would go back to lead minis, instead of the pewter. Lead was much easier to work on, but I do understand the environmental reasons.

I know what you mean, but I will say that I like the fact that they are affordable, durable, and you don't have to cringe every time someone knocks one over. Since the D&D minis came out, I have just about quit using my pewter minis for gaming. When we're through playing, I can just dump all the minis in a box and be done with it, which I could never do with my hand-painted minis.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  04:04:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Most of the minis are fairly sturdy theres a few that dont hold their shape well, the Limboing Bone Devils being the ones that most spring to mind. You can reset your minis with boiling water and an over night stay in your freezer

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  04:16:45  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Most of the minis are fairly sturdy theres a few that dont hold their shape well, the Limboing Bone Devils being the ones that most spring to mind. You can reset your minis with boiling water and an over night stay in your freezer

And the gnoll archers, and the Frost Giant's axe, and...
The hot water trick works wonders. I was glad that they took the precaution of reinforcing the Storm Giant's sword, when I saw a picture of that one, I just knew that big sword would be bent.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2005 :  05:00:58  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We use a mix of WotC and metal minis in my campaign.

I’m fortunate that a couple of the players in my campaign like to spend time either painting miniatures or collecting WotC’s mini’s line, so I get to borrow from both these collections for play.

Now that my game has gone Epic, I find having Huge, Gargantuan and Colossal sized minis (all WotC) on the table really helps drive the idea of scale for my players.

I haven’t spent much time buying off of Ebay, but I might suggest it to my players.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2005 :  14:33:39  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

Now that my game has gone Epic, I find having Huge, Gargantuan and Colossal sized minis (all WotC) on the table really helps drive the idea of scale for my players.

That reminds me, I keep hearing about Gargantuan and Colossal minis for both D&D as well as Star Wars. Does anyone know if this is mere rumor, or if it is based on fact?

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2005 :  22:44:01  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The SW mini is an AT AT Imperial Walker it been seen at conventions earlier this year it will be coming out in November.

The D&D mini guys have said they are doing a Colossal mini to and will come out next year and it has been strongly hinted that it will be some sort of dragon

My moneys on a Dracolich

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  05:25:32  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The SW mini is an AT AT Imperial Walker it been seen at conventions earlier this year it will be coming out in November.

The D&D mini guys have said they are doing a Colossal mini to and will come out next year and it has been strongly hinted that it will be some sort of dragon

My moneys on a Dracolich

I wonder just how large these minis will be... The huge red dragon is about 4" tall, and if the smallest colossal dragon is at least twice as big as huge, we're looking at at least a 6" base and possibly 8" tall. Of course that's the minimum for colossal... I heard a rumor that the AT-AT would rival the size of the one from the toy line and that the dragon would be comparable in size, so it may be even larger.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  05:47:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pic of the AT AT walker

http://www.starwarsminigames.com/IMG_6994.jpg

Note the medium sized Stormtrooper officer standing between the 2 front feet.

It looks like the AT AT will be almost as tall as a 17inch monitor or a PC Tower

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 04 Aug 2005 05:49:49
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  08:21:13  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pic of the AT AT walker

It looks like the AT AT will be almost as tall as a 17inch monitor or a PC Tower

I want a Division of them!! Run Rebel Scum, you can't hide from me <manicial laughing>

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  08:39:48  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Pic of the AT AT walker

I want a Division of them!! Run Rebel Scum, you can't hide from me <manicial laughing>

Then I suggest you gotto Gencon

WOTC are giving away 6 of them, however theres a catch

You must play the Assualt on Echo base game against one of the SW mini devlopers. The WOTC guy plays the Imperials you play the rebels if you manage to bring down one of the Imperial walkers you get to keep it and take it home with you.

The AT AT will not be in retail until November

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  14:31:24  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pic of the AT AT walker

Sweet! Imagine a Red Dragon or a Dracolich that size, I can't wait.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  02:00:30  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Pic of the AT AT walker

Then I suggest you gotto Gencon

WOTC are giving away 6 of them, however theres a catch

You must play the Assualt on Echo base game against one of the SW mini devlopers. The WOTC guy plays the Imperials you play the rebels if you manage to bring down one of the Imperial walkers you get to keep it and take it home with you.

The AT AT will not be in retail until November

Hmm,
I think it would be cheaper and a sure thing to just wait til November.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  05:52:26  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm,
I think it would be cheaper and a sure thing to just wait til November.

But not as much fun

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  14:02:58  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know you can paint the plastic minis. I had so many blonde female elfs I painted mine to give me a range. The transformation was quite effective, it made them look very nice, like completely different minis. I have now taken to tweaking many of my commons to make them look more varied.

I touch up the ones that have painting gaffes on them, and add little details such as blood stains or shield designs or tattoos or red eyes or different hair color, etc.

I prefer that they come prepainted, but just because they came that way doesn't mean you can't paint them and change them up.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  15:26:34  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Pic of the AT AT walker

Sweet! Imagine a Red Dragon or a Dracolich that size, I can't wait.

I suspect there might be a chance of seeing the D&D mini Collosal figure at Gen Con, the AT AT was officially unveiled at Origins

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  05:51:08  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

quote:

You know you can paint the plastic minis. I had so many blonde female elfs I painted mine to give me a range. The transformation was quite effective, it made them look very nice, like completely different minis. I have now taken to tweaking many of my commons to make them look more varied.

I touch up the ones that have painting gaffes on them, and add little details such as blood stains or shield designs or tattoos or red eyes or different hair color, etc.

I prefer that they come prepainted, but just because they came that way doesn't mean you can't paint them and change them up.

not sure how well the D&D minis will take it but a friend of mine that collects and converts Mage Knight figures uses Acetone (sp) to strip the paint off the figures, just have to be careful to not let them sit for too long.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  17:54:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

not sure how well the D&D minis will take it but a friend of mine that collects and converts Mage Knight figures uses Acetone (sp) to strip the paint off the figures, just have to be careful to not let them sit for too long.

I don't recall the name of it, but a friend once recommended a particular brand of tire cleaner for stripping plastic figs.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2005 :  00:10:42  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I don't recall the name of it, but a friend once recommended a particular brand of tire cleaner for stripping plastic figs.

Also First Test the Stripping Process on a Figure that is 100% Expendable.

So dip a goblin or orc or something else before you dip your Huge Red Dragon.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  14:27:48  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question to all:

I haven't gotten too much into the miniatures very much and was wondering if someone could give me so guidance on what the get and what not to get. Particular expansions, particular minis, etc. I know that is vague, but I wanted to start collecting and I may as well have a working collection while I am at it.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  17:33:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Question to all:

I haven't gotten too much into the miniatures very much and was wondering if someone could give me so guidance on what the get and what not to get. Particular expansions, particular minis, etc. I know that is vague, but I wanted to start collecting and I may as well have a working collection while I am at it.

C-Fb

Well, it depends on what you want...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  01:51:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Question to all:

C-Fb

See Dargoth's scroll in the WotC News Section. He's posted some details you may find useful.

'Tis here:- http://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3523

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000