Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 People's Adventuring Preferences
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  08:13:38  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed I don't like great scale plots, they suppouse too much problem in trying to not affect important stuuf, as cities or special NPCs, that's why I prefer conspiracys, and dark plots, even sometimes I've played "dungeons" plots, a la Eye of the Beholder. But the problem of playing conspiracys plots is that is difficult to make them different, finally you end always playing the same "Someone wants to kill king Azoun" plot . Oh we need an imagination referesh.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  18:12:23  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoy having an overall 'theme' to games, but not necessarily a single epic plot. It is often hard to get fractious players to go in one direction. The term herding cats comes to mind.

So instead of having the goal of taking on the Zulkirs of Thay, or smashing the Power of the Cloaks and Blades of Mulmaster, I prefer to have games where there are recurring villains, and villainous groups.

The recurring villains usually are always after the same or similar goal each time the players run across them. The villainous groups tend to have a broader reach for their plans. Because, like any orginisation, they have the manpower that enables them to branch out into different fields of villainy.

The overall goal of games I run tend to be to grant the players the opportunity to flesh out their characters and meet many of the character's goals/ambitions.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  20:43:43  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember a "surprise" game I played once. I was DMing and i allowed them to create the char till level 25. I still can remember their faces when the rivals were revealed... themselves, someone casted a "clone" spell against them while sleeping and they were always pursued by themselves, same spells, same levels, same weapons, it was incredibly funny. They still hate me for that one...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  22:51:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

I remember a "surprise" game I played once. I was DMing and i allowed them to create the char till level 25. I still can remember their faces when the rivals were revealed... themselves, someone casted a "clone" spell against them while sleeping and they were always pursued by themselves, same spells, same levels, same weapons, it was incredibly funny. They still hate me for that one...

That's evil! I like it!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  23:14:21  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Series of Multiple "Un-related" Adventures tied into one Campaign Plot

Definitely for me... I have one of the best GMs in the world and she is really good at running this type of adventure, which is wonderful. I love that all the adventures, while unrelated at face value, tend to all come to a sum total in the end.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2005 :  07:44:36  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

That's evil! I like it!

*bows*

Go to Top of Page

Antareana
Seeker

Germany
59 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  15:55:49  Show Profile  Visit Antareana's Homepage Send Antareana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer either one really big epic Adventure without many sub-quests (which is what I am running with my group at the moment) or many adventures that belong mostly to the same plot. I like doing "big things" and that works only properly if you are either epic level or if you are following one big scheme over a long long time.
Many different adventures can be funny, too, but most DMs have problems with giving the PCs reputations then (which can be annoying and unsatisfying)
Thats what happened in our Planescape Campaign until we were 15th level or so until one of us suddenly became chosen of Mystra

It is all just a past and future secret

Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2005 :  01:39:48  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with "Single Plot, Multiple Adventure Campaign", because I like to have adventures lead to further adventures for the same troupe of characters. But I also run multiple campaigns.

My Waterdeep game is geared toward a half-orc Sun Soul Monk, A half-elven bard and a human rogue, who are hired to work for an investigation firm, which ends up involving them in numerous plots large and small as they look into strage events in and around Waterdeep. The private investigators angle is well suited to numerous self-contained stories, but there is an overall story of an unsolved mystery that they are gradually untangling as well.

My Cormanthor campaign wound up not really continuing, but might have gone anywhere. I still hope to revisit that setting, and perhaps someday we shall.
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2005 :  14:36:36  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My DM once made a very good campaign, where the PCs started at different towns and didn't know eachother. Only after our third session of playing did the PCs meet eachother and became a group. And at some points the of the campaign the group separated to do different sub-plots, that all linked to the major plot.

This kind of plot maybe very hard for the DM to make, but we loved it. It made our group seem like it's not a ready made group that we just started playin,g but a group where every PC had their own history and their own interests.

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Angron
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  18:57:04  Show Profile  Visit Angron's Homepage Send Angron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my group the DM dosent have that much say in waht we do, we play more out the lifes of the pc's. We do what we feel like doing and the DM runs all of our different sane\insane ideas as the adventures instead of making them ahead of time. As an example: One of the pc wants to establish himself a small kingdom up in the north, we would travel from the place we were at up to the north and start working on that task, and the DM controls the world and does what he think is the most realistic response to taht action for the different things\persons that lurks in the north
Go to Top of Page

Giilvas Vyshaan
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2006 :  17:50:42  Show Profile  Visit Giilvas Vyshaan's Homepage Send Giilvas Vyshaan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have enjoyed so many adventuring & DM-ing campaigns of all types, however, the ones my gaming buddies and I always talk about seem to be 'remembering' the most are the ones with many unrelated but tied into a single campaign plot. We are currently in a major epic scope single adventure campaign that we all are having a great time with. That's the point, isn't it?

In the Year of Risen Elfkin, the Vyshaantar Empire will be reborn out of ruin and retake its rightful position in Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Tordis
Acolyte

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2006 :  08:36:58  Show Profile  Visit Tordis's Homepage Send Tordis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My preference would be option 2, as it gives the possibility to develop your character to a certain level without the players getting bored. Even though there is a main plot and a final purpose to the PC's actions, you can still use some of your ideas that simply don't fit in and pack them in as side quests.

Orn dos kuuv ulu gyolaen...?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000