Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Dungeon Master’s Guide II
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Durak
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  09:23:29  Show Profile  Visit Durak's Homepage Send Durak a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Due out June 2005

quote:

Dungeons & Dragons Supplement
Jesse Decker, David Noonan, Chris Thomasson, James Jacobs, Robin D. Laws

Item Code 863170000
Release Date June 2005
Format Hardcover
Page Count 288
ISBN 0-7869-3687-8
Price $39.95 ; C$55.95

A follow-up to the Dungeon Master’s Guide, designed to aid Dungeon Masters and reduce game preparation time.

The Dungeon Master’s Guide II builds upon existing materials in the Dungeon Master’s Guide. It is specifically designed to facilitate play, especially when the Dungeon Master has a limited amount of preparation time.

Chapters include discussion on running a game, designing adventures, building and using prestige classes, and creating campaign settings. Ready-made game elements include instant traps, pre-generated locations, treasures, and a fully realized and rendered town.

Seems to read like a "How to be a DM" book. Not sure if has to be a must buy though.

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  09:46:17  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing that really interests me at the moment. As it seems "The Dungeon Master’s Guide II builds upon existing materials in the Dungeon Master’s Guide" I am not really in a time of shortage nowdays when prepping stuff. And even if I where I probably wouldn't spend my money in this since it can all be made by one self any way, if one thinks ahead a bit. I mean I used to have three or for different pre-made options when I played tabletop and a few in my head that didn't require maps. Some of wich never got used

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  14:08:14  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't the DMGII also originally slated as a tome that helped DMs create, incorporate, and sustain newly generated races?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  15:19:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Durak

Due out June 2005

Thank you for the warning. I'll pass for now and wait for Dungeon Master's Guide III: When Fans Strike Back!.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  15:31:53  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just hope it contains those useful tables that were once in the 1st Edition DMG, like the Random Dungeon Generator and the ever-popular Random Harlot Encounter Table.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Durak
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  09:54:57  Show Profile  Visit Durak's Homepage Send Durak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

the ever-popular Random Harlot Encounter Table.

Sounds interesting, how many types of harlot can there be?
s they say, every village should have one.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  13:23:23  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Durak

quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

the ever-popular Random Harlot Encounter Table.

Sounds interesting, how many types of harlot can there be?
s they say, every village should have one.

about 12

Slovenly trull
Brazen strumpet
Cheap trollop
Typical streetwalker
Saucy tart
Wanton wench
Expensive doxy
Haughty courtesan
Aged madam
Wealthy procuress
Sly pimp
Rich panderer
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  14:11:14  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
about 12

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  14:19:15  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You laugh, Sirius, but I actually went so far as to have Gary Gygax autograph that table at GenCon XXX!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Rudar Dimble
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  19:35:57  Show Profile  Visit Rudar Dimble's Homepage Send Rudar Dimble a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you don't have much preparation time, you shouldn't DM! . Besides that, the preparation of a quest is just as fun as actual DM-ing (may be even more fun...setting up encounters and traps; especially when you imagine the looks on your players faces )
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  17:06:36  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rudar Dimble

If you don't have much preparation time, you shouldn't DM! . Besides that, the preparation of a quest is just as fun as actual DM-ing

Amen! That's the very reason I've been trying to ease myself out of the DM role, I just don't have the time I need to prepare properly anymore.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Rudar Dimble
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  17:53:57  Show Profile  Visit Rudar Dimble's Homepage Send Rudar Dimble a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

If you don't have much preparation time, you shouldn't DM! . Besides that, the preparation of a quest is just as fun as actual DM-ing

Amen! That's the very reason I've been trying to ease myself out of the DM role, I just don't have the time I need to prepare properly anymore.

Just say you won't DM anymore. You and your friends could watch movies or play board games if someone else can't take over immediately.

Jesus saves... and takes ½ damage
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  19:46:27  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

Just say you won't DM anymore. You and your friends could watch movies or play board games if someone else can't take over immediately.

AAHHHHH! No D&D?!?!?!?!

Seriously, thanks for the suggestion, but that would go over like a rubber crutch. Anyway, I've figured out how to find time to work on the game.... don't sleep. Yeah, it's great, I just don't sleep on a Friday and/or Saturday night and work on the game non-stop. I have found that I can do that during my break from classes and I can prepare enough material to last until my next break.(about five weeks)

For instance, I've created a small hamlet in the Great Dale, called Valdale, named after Taneth Val, the retired adventurer who founded Valdale and now serves as its mayor. Valdale lies north of the Great Road, and south of the Rawlinswood. It was fun, I've got town maps, stats for every townsperson, and background stories for the important ones. I've never created a town with this level of detail before, and its really added to my enjoyment of running the game. The campaign started last Thursday, and everyone seemed to have a really great time.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  19:59:22  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just remember, sometimes those brilliant ideas that you come up with in the middle of the night need to be re edited in the lucid moments of wakefulness. I can't remember how many times I wrote a "brilliant" adventure in the middle of the night, fleshed out tons of NPCs, created flow charts to track plot twists, then forgotten to stat out the main villain for the climax of the adventure . . .
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2005 :  15:44:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ENWorld'snews for Thursday, June 2nd, 2005 had the following information about this product:

quote:

ICV2 reports that Dungeon Master's Guide II, which is shipping this month, was ordered in the largest quantities of any Dungeons & Dragons book (other than the three core titles) since 2002, according to a WotC spokesperson.

Well, we're all already talking about it, looking at the excerpts, using the desktop wallpapers, etc. WotC has sent along an official press release to go along with the release of Dungeon Master's Guide II - so here it is:

A Sequel With No Equal: Dungeon Master’s Guide™ II

The Dungeon Master’s Guide™ II comes out this month. Initial orders from the core hobby indicate that DMG II will be the biggest release for the D&D RPG (not counting the core rulebooks, which are in a class by themselves) since 2002. With the exception of the Monster Manuals, the Dungeon Master’s Guide™ II is the first-ever sequel to a core book in any edition of D&D.

The Dungeon Master’s Guide™ II is a follow-up to the Dungeon Master’s Guide, designed to aid Dungeon Masters and reduce game preparation time. The Dungeon Master’s Guide™ II builds upon existing materials in the Dungeon Master’s Guide™. It is specifically designed to facilitate play, especially when the Dungeon Master has a limited amount of preparation time. The guide is full of time-saving tools, with many game elements ready built to bring to the gaming table.

Chapters include discussion on running a game, designing adventures, building and using prestige classes, and creating campaign settings, including attention to play style, speeding up play, types of players, non-player character stats, new rules for destiny, on-the-fly character modifications, and group power characteristics. Ready-made game elements include instant traps, pre-generated locations, treasures, and a fully realized and rendered town. Dungeon Masters and players alike will be especially interested in the new section on magic items, which discusses new ways of utilizing traditional items and introduces many new items written to fill specific niches in gameplay.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2005 :  15:46:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOTC also has Wallpapers and an excerpt posted for this item.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2005 :  18:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got to wonder what product was so hot in 2002...perhaps the ELH?
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2005 :  22:00:20  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll take a look at this and might even obtain it, especially on how the section for creation of PrCs is done.
So far all I have done is modify some existing ones to try and suit my needs, since everytime I try to go from scratch, they tend to be too overly powerful.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  02:55:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

I'll take a look at this and might even obtain it,

Has anyone here pre-ordered the product?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  02:59:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not I.

I've deliberately skipped over this product in order to ensure that I have enough gold pieces for another particular tome to be released in just a few days... .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  03:36:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Not I.

I've deliberately skipped over this product in order to ensure that I have enough gold pieces for another particular tome to be released in just a few days... .

The money for that book is the only spare cash I've got until the next payday...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  03:38:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since I haven't gotten Champions of Ruin yet, and I definately want to get Waterdeep, this one is falling further down on the "to get" list. Nothing against it, it may be a good book to have, but Realmslore comes first!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  05:03:40  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Well, since I haven't gotten Champions of Ruin yet, and I definately want to get Waterdeep, this one is falling further down on the "to get" list. Nothing against it, it may be a good book to have, but Realmslore comes first!

That's RIGHT!!

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  11:33:05  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Not I.

Which one is that?

SB who does not have this product pre-ordered or on any wish/to get list.
Go to Top of Page

Setepsutekh
Acolyte

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  16:42:59  Show Profile  Visit Setepsutekh's Homepage Send Setepsutekh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Deep within his tomb Setepsutekh slowly opens the lid to his sarcophagus and says*

From what I've seen so far I could find DMG II useful but I'm going to wait and see about that, to echo KnightErrantJR and Warlockco Realmslore must come first . Luckily enough my birthday is in July so I may be able to get the book then anyway.

*Sarcophagus lid slams shut*

"And so the creature was imprisoned and his tomb cast out into the desert, never would the Scourge of the Sands threaten the lands of Mulhorand...(the rest is worn away)

- Ancient hieroglyphics found amid the ruins of the Raurin Desert
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  09:12:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok they may have just got a sale out of me with the DMG

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050603a&page=2

If it tell us how to make a balanced PrC's then I may just buy the DMG 2

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  10:44:40  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Ok they may have just got a sale out of me with the DMG

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050603a&page=2

If it tell us how to make a balanced PrC's then I may just buy the DMG 2

Aye, that is the only thing that really has me interested in it at the moment.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  19:29:37  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those interested, the online store, FRPGames is now listing this product as available to ship.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  23:02:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I called my FLGS at noon today, he said he had this tome.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  02:36:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And for Australian scribes eager for this tome, you'll have to wait until early next week.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  03:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is out here in Austin. I have my copy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000