Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 New Adventures Locale: The Bog
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  05:17:51  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/al/20041222a

There's some interesting info in this article, especially about magically-infused characters that can be added to your campaigns.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  05:47:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've only had time to skim over this, since I should've been in bed about an hour ago...

One comment springs immediately to mind, though.
quote:
The bog has a faint aura of transmission magic at all times

Transmission magic?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  06:04:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps a whispering wind that the party keeps hearing?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  07:58:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it

The ideal place to put The Bog would be around Tantras, "The Helmlands", Near Boareskyr Bridge or anywhere else where Wild and Dead magic areas where created during the Time of Troubles

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  11:23:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Perhaps a whispering wind that the party keeps hearing?

I dunno, I keep wondering if it has anyhing to do with Aamco...

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  11:26:38  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hurray- that´s exactly the thing i need for my next session!

my players are on their way to halruaa with a small spelljamming wreckboat (another story...) and want to hide the flying vehicle north of the north wall mountain range, east of the talath pass. they are coming from the north, and plan to camp somewhere between the bandit wastes and the mhair jungle for hiding the wreckboat and waiting for the one pc who procures a more inconspiciuous mundane horse-drawn wagon in lapalgard.

there´ll be plenty of time to kill, so i´ll let them have fun with the mimic, altough i´ll probably ignore the part about the ruptured weave- there´s already more than enough magic in that campaign...

i´m still undecided whether or not to include the transmission magic...

placing the bog north of halruaa seems perfect for me, as the wizard whose experiment went wrong could easily be one of the legendary archmages of that land. it seems logical to me that many halruaan (spelled with double a?) mages would build their lairs beyond the countries borders - for the same reasons why so many wizards built their tower in the wilderness.

Edited by - tauster on 22 Dec 2004 11:41:37
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  13:04:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, I've only had time to skim over this, since I should've been in bed about an hour ago...

quote:

Transmission magic?

Well just did a search of WotC site with their seardh engine and can not find the term, I was not even directed to the bog URL.

A guess would be transmutation magic as bog does change appearance and nature of any effected by the water.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  21:02:52  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It must have been a cross-over with D20 Modern, a slip of the author - how else would one explain these horse-less carriages zipping around, if not for some sort of Transmission magic...

They even have a version with less components to use, removing the lead makes the Transmission magic less heavy on the environment - as well as on the caster...
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  21:39:10  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

It must have been a cross-over with D20 Modern, a slip of the author - how else would one explain these horse-less carriages zipping around, if not for some sort of Transmission magic...

They even have a version with less components to use, removing the lead makes the Transmission magic less heavy on the environment - as well as on the caster...

*nods* I agree, however would not limit to modern , using the WotC search engine 20 hits (they need to fix that), the word Transmission appeared in d20 Star wars of course the word used was not magic.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  23:18:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

quote:

Transmission magic?

Well just did a search of WotC site with their seardh engine and can not find the term, I was not even directed to the bog URL.

A guess would be transmutation magic as bog does change appearance and nature of any effected by the water.

Yeah, it was obviously supposed to be transmutation magic. What we have here is a humorous example of how one cannot always trust the spellchecker.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  23:29:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[
Yeah, it was obviously supposed to be transmutation magic. What we have here is a humorous example of how one cannot always trust the spellchecker.

Actually I just tried that: Transmutation seems to be a valid word for MS Word 2000 (Which suprised me)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  00:16:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

[

Actually I just tried that: Transmutation seems to be a valid word for MS Word 2000 (Which suprised me)

My guess is that the author misspelled it, and selected the wrong thing when Spellcheck tripped over it.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  04:49:43  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My guess is that the author misspelled it, and selected the wrong thing when Spellcheck tripped over it.

Spell checkers are all most as evil as images.

However it is clear WotC search engine is the greatest evil when searching for information.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  05:29:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Transmutation is a real word as separate from D&D. However, transmission can be a synonym, so that's two aspects of MS Word that could have done it. And the grammar check is worse than the spellchecker, too!

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000