Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 *crumples face and laughs*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2004 :  23:35:37  Show Profile  Delete Topic
Here.

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  00:36:52  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message
I really don't know how to respond to this one at all...

On one hand, I'm thinking, "Should I be angry?" and then I'm telling myself, "This is way too freaking funny..."

However, I'm more surprised to see Rich Baker having a hand in this "guide". Come on, Rich! What got to you? Was it the money?! (sob!)

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  00:47:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I asked Rich about this book about a month ago on the WOTC boards. He couldn't tell much about it yet because it was to far in the works.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  01:03:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I want one, simply for the novelty of it... Kinda like that 5-sided die I have -- useless to me, but still nifty to have.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  02:31:16  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
I heard its specficly designed for Religious Fundamentalists (hence the title)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  03:43:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

I really don't know how to respond to this one at all...

On one hand, I'm thinking, "Should I be angry?" and then I'm telling myself, "This is way too freaking funny..."

Why get angry? These guides are showing up for everything. I'm waiting for the Dummies for Dummies guide.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  03:56:06  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message
Sirius... I think they have that one out already. Lol.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  04:07:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
"384 pages"

Not sure of last count on PHB and DMG, but an intro like this is nuts because it does not need to cover everything in even the PHB.

It is true I though the 2 to 3 conversion guide was rather verbose, however there were some major changes that perhaps justified the few extra pages.

Some the publisher hopes will buy the product, hey might make a good gift.

I have been told For Dummies do put out an informantive book, just find it hard to believe that it takes that many pages, to explain the game and role playing. Certainly is not on my buy list.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  04:57:31  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message
Too funny. Have to add this one next to the Dummies Guide to Sex... Sextants, yeah.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  10:32:59  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message
Well if I simplified the rules and they fit it all on one page instead of 300, then it'll sell. Think of all the time you'll save reading and you'll actually have more time on gameplay.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  14:42:49  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message
Well, I have read some of the dummies books, and the page count is not as wordy as you might think. The pages have large margins, for notes, widely spaced lines(again, for notes) and large easily read text, even my computer ravaged eyes can read it.

There are also lots of illustrations and examples of whatever they cover, and popout sidebars giving many examples, and explanations of explanations(just in case).

All in all, I want a copy as a loaner. Of course I would have ot read it myself first.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Rahsim Caval
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  16:01:17  Show Profile  Visit Rahsim Caval's Homepage Send Rahsim Caval a Private Message
Lina, Art thou talking about The Dummies guide to D&D or art thee speaking of The Dummies Guide Hammer twas talking about?

We art just messing with thee. But We were mildly amused to see this Product (Dummies guide to D&D) to be coming out... what'er shalt they think of next?
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  20:46:06  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message
Truthfully, I really don't think that this is such a ridiculous idea. I've looked over a few of the 'Dummies' books, and generally they seem to be well-written, informative and thorough books on the treated subject.

Let's face it: with the current rules bloat being churned out by WotC, it has become increasingly difficult for the new gamer to wade through hundreds of pages of rules, options, feats, skills, spells, and of course the unending stream of new prestige classes. If this book helps a new player understand the core rules more easily, and gets them excited (instead of daunted) about our hobby, that helps to introduce a new gamer into our fold, who will hopefully support the industry by playing the game and buying the products that support it.

Those of us who are veteran gamers might sneer at it, but if it brings new blood into our hobby and helps to create a new generation of RPG gamers, I have no quarrel or issue with it.

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  21:57:06  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
I think the pagecount is the only silly thing about this.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  23:17:00  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Actually, I'm not surprised at all. I don't find it funny, I'm not disapointed . . . [::shrug::]

Though . . . I wonder if I should send one to Jack Chick as a Christmas present.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2004 :  00:49:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Actually, I'm not surprised at all. I don't find it funny, I'm not disapointed . . . [::shrug::]

Though . . . I wonder if I should send one to Jack Chick as a Christmas present.

Oooh, now that would be evil! I like it!

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2004 :  09:44:40  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rahsim Caval

Lina, Art thou talking about The Dummies guide to D&D or art thee speaking of The Dummies Guide Hammer twas talking about?

We art just messing with thee. But We were mildly amused to see this Product (Dummies guide to D&D) to be coming out... what'er shalt they think of next?

I was talking about the D&D guide... I'm not hentai!

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2004 :  11:19:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

quote:
Originally posted by Rahsim Caval

I was talking about the D&D guide... I'm not hentai!

You're not? How disappointing.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2004 :  01:22:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
From Arivia's link -
quote:
D&D etiquette
I didn't know there was such a concept. I've been gaming for over 15 years now, and I've never found the need to establish an "etiquette" for gaming at my table. Everyone simply knew what was expected of them, whether they were new players or 20 year veterans.

So while experience does count, a fair amount of your regular social etiquette should also be a factor in how you relate to other across the table. Shouldn't it?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2004 :  02:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message
Touching the dice,character sheet, or miniature belonging to another player is met with a varying amount of responses from players. That pewter figure that Bob spent sixteen hours a day for a month, using a single strand of human hair to paint to exacting detail looks like a little toy to the unitiated, and might be snatched up for a closer look with nary a second thought.

The amount of superstition I have encountered with dice over the years is also varied. It is also good to have tips on what is or is not, acceptable in roleplay. Many might make the assumption that since it is the characters not them the players interacting, any behaviour no matter how crass is acceptable if it is in character. Or they might assume the total opposite. And depending on the play group, either might be a mistake. It would be good to know what questions to ask the DM or players before hand.

Also, one might just assume the DM is a position similiar to the banker in monopoly, and might question or even openly conflict with them in heated moments, having never been told that such is a bad idea.

The list goes on of odd social situations only encountered in gaming. As well as general tips for proper behaviour. For intance they might never even think that the game cannot be left at any time for a smoke break, or that it might not be OK to get cell calls at the table. Being told "Some DMs do not care for unnanounced breaks for snacks or smoking, or telephone calls, so it is best to ask" is good, just in case they hadn't thought of it. Because in many games, like poker, you can jsut not be dealt in to the next hand while you pop down to the qwik-e-mart.

Remember, the key benchmark of of the Dummies guides is they assume NOTHING. I mean, for all they know(the "dummy"), a player might not be allowed to play a character of an opposite gender from oneself. Or the dice are in the box with the game and they don't need any.

We of course know otherwise, and any one with any gaming experience would too... But you never know. Covering all the bases, all the contingencies, and having it all there in one book so they can ask it, not ask another player and look like a fool is handy.

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.

Edited by - Capn Charlie on 09 Dec 2004 04:04:17
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2004 :  03:44:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Capn Charlie brings up a very good point: be careful around other people's dice! Wars have been fought over less...

And another point of etiquette to remember: the division of who brings what snacks and drinks!

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2004 :  05:57:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
So while experience does count, a fair amount of your regular social etiquette should also be a factor in how you relate to other across the table. Shouldn't it?

Social etiquette? In today's society?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2004 :  11:22:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Social etiquette? In today's society?

Yeah, etiquette. It's what keeps some of us from making sarcastic posts all the time...

Go to Top of Page

Jerard Doonsay
Seeker

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2004 :  13:39:51  Show Profile  Visit Jerard Doonsay's Homepage Send Jerard Doonsay a Private Message
*using hypnotic stare* You will all buy a copy because it's funny. Maybe get two. And one for a friend and/or family member. Now. Hehehe

May history live forever in the writings and stories of those who wish to tell them.

Please come and enjoy my website http://ferien.aribytes.org
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2004 :  15:22:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Yeah, etiquette. It's what keeps some of us from making sarcastic posts all the time...

Wait til The Sage finds out you've been talking about him like this.
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2004 :  15:38:24  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jerard Doonsay

*using hypnotic stare* You will all buy a copy because it's funny. Maybe get two. And one for a friend and/or family member. Now. Hehehe

Wait, wait... is this a parody/humor book, or a serious one?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2004 :  08:37:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

... Who... What... Where... When... How... Which... What?...

I wouldn't worry too much. I'll deal with the furry hamster in my own time...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2004 :  16:52:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

It wasn't me! It was the eggnog talking!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2004 :  18:23:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It wasn't me! It was the eggnog talking!

Suuure it was...

As it happens, I cannot drink eggnog. It's mostly because of all that eggy content. I've never been able to eat, or even be served something that contains egg. I'm not entirely sure why that is... I just know that I don't like them, the smell of them, or the look of an uncooked egg yolk...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2004 :  00:25:10  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:

I've never been able to eat, or even be served something that contains egg.

More cake for us, then!

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2004 :  03:02:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

quote:

I've never been able to eat, or even be served something that contains egg.

More cake for us, then!

Actually, depending upon the variety of main ingredients, I usually do not have a problem with most cakes. It's simply a matter of, "if I can taste the egg in something, then I can't eat anymore of it"...

I'm such a complicated little gnome aren't I?

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Dec 2004 03:04:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000