Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Artemis Entreri.. Shade?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2004 :  16:41:02  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just bought Servant of the Shard and all the focus on Entreri reminded me of a time some months ago (maybe 5-6?) when someone mentioned that Entreri has become a shade or half shade or somthing like that.. Could someone shed some light on this, and if its true what book it happens in? Thank you very much

Edited by - Arteris on 07 Nov 2004 16:44:54

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2004 :  23:41:06  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The story of Entreri's transformation can be found in Realms of Shadow, "That Curious Sword." Details are sketchy as of yet, so new powers and such may be made clear in a later book.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2004 :  02:09:57  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artemis Entreri is indeed a demi-shade. It occured when he and Jarlaxle were ambushed by shades. The assassin attacked one of them with his vampiric dagger and drained the shade's life-force which transferred over to him but also transformed him.

Basically, it was just a way to prolong Artemis's life and also allow him to keep his prime as a fighter.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask

Edited by - DDH_101 on 08 Nov 2004 02:11:40
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2004 :  08:18:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arteris

I just bought Servant of the Shard and all the focus on Entreri reminded me of a time some months ago (maybe 5-6?) when someone mentioned that Entreri has become a shade or half shade or somthing like that.. Could someone shed some light on this, and if its true what book it happens in? Thank you very much

You do know that shade don't normally like getting light shed on them. He might take it personally.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2004 :  11:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're becoming something of a commodian of late, Bookwyrm...

Had I known roaming around making one liners, quips and the such liek was acceptable around here, I would have done so long ago...

Always feared alaundo's wrath too much, though.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2004 :  12:03:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come to think of it, there was a time when Alaundo specifically warned against "banter" posts.

I believe he meant things that carried beyond the Realms, though. (Such as the physics jokes Sage and I made around that time.) Also, the forums were threatening to get all chaotic on us. I think that was when Alaundo ordered up his staff of the irritated moderator . . . seems his rod of moderator might just wasn't cutting it.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2004 :  15:48:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

seems his rod of moderator might just wasn't cutting it.

Moderator might what?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2004 :  17:11:43  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

quote:

You do know that shade don't normally like getting light shed on them. He might take it personally.

You know I was actually thinking about saying that too.. Heheh

Edited by - Arteris on 08 Nov 2004 17:12:37
Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2004 :  17:32:43  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This also brings about another question

Are shades immortal, or do they have an extremly long life span or somthing? Because I've never seen any mention of that topic in the Forgotten Realms CS
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  01:06:55  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
shades are undead and undying...unless slain of course

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  01:55:30  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This also brings about another question

Are shades immortal, or do they have an extremly long life span or somthing? Because I've never seen any mention of that topic in the Forgotten Realms CS

Shades live to approximately 150 years. The info on their age and age effects can be found in Races of Faerun.

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  02:35:18  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
shades do have a lifespan? but...they are undead are they not?

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  03:17:30  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

Creatures of the Plane of Shadow actually.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  03:35:37  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
shadows are creatures of the Plane of Shadow, and they are undead...

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  03:38:01  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Shades aren't undead. They were Nethrese that went to live in the Plane of Shadows and "interacted" with the inhabitants there.

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  04:20:34  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
then why in the Monster Manual 2 (2e) does it say that they are undead? i know its 2e but...

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  04:59:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

then why in the Monster Manual 2 (2e) does it say that they are undead? i know its 2e but...

Shades from the Shade Enclave are not the same thing as Shades that are undead. :) Two different things.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 09 Nov 2004 05:01:22
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  05:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oooh so the shade that "infected" Entreri was a shade from the Shade Enclave? i just was under the impression it was just a normal shade. there, that finally clears that up

Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  05:29:30  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a place I can get his new stats for 3E since hes part shade now?
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  06:10:26  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

oooh so the shade that "infected" Entreri was a shade from the Shade Enclave? i just was under the impression it was just a normal shade. there, that finally clears that up

Yes, that's why his story appeared in the Realms of Shadows Anthology. It was supposed to tie in with the Return of the Shadow Enclave.

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  15:28:01  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok that makes a lot more sense
< hasnt read any of those books

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  18:03:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

ok that makes a lot more sense
< hasnt read any of those books

If you're interested in the subjec matter, I'd recommend reading Paul Kemp's Erevis Cale trilogy over the Return of the Shades novels that were released with FR3E.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  20:30:12  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the advice...this may shock some of my fellow scribes, but i really dont like reading. i have a decent amount of FR novels but have only read a handful of them. even on subjects i like (such as the FR) i cannot just sit down and read. now lore books on the other hand, those i can sit and enjoy. the most enjoyable thing ive ever read was The Slayers Guide to Undead. i love the slayers guides, and the encyclopaedia arcanes are fantastic as well

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000