Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 New FR DM!!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

manachild
Acolyte

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  04:34:49  Show Profile  Visit manachild's Homepage Send manachild a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The last 4 years i've spent gaming in the lands of the flanaess but about 6months ago i picked up the FRCS book and purchased it, although i didnt really get into it then , now i'm very very into the whole setting and it has replaced greyhawk as my favourite setting.

I'd like to know basically soem places that people who are experienced in here enjoy gaming in and running in, as far as places on faerun are concerned.

Thankyou

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  05:10:33  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Silver Marches is my favorite at the moment there seems to be quite a lot going on around there especially Silverymoon and the High Forest

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

manachild
Acolyte

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  06:08:09  Show Profile  Visit manachild's Homepage Send manachild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i've heard of that place, and silvery moon, anymore people out there want to share the places they love and why? as a new dm i'd like to know what places seem to be of greater interest or popularity if thats not a problem, thanks alot :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  06:12:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no place like Waterdeep!

And it's a well-covered place, too -- it's had its own sourcebook and boxed set, as well as a host of other materials...

I'd also recommend Silverymoon. If I had to be anywhere in the Realms, Silverymoon would be my second choice.

No matter where you choose, look into acquiring the Volo's Guide series of books. Those books are some of the richest sources of lore around, and they make places come alive like nothing else can.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

manachild
Acolyte

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  06:18:36  Show Profile  Visit manachild's Homepage Send manachild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thankyou to everyone so far, more oppinions and ideas are welcome i appreciate it :)
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  08:44:05  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormyr, lad!!

Cormyr is the ultimate best!!

You can get most of the info for that country in "Volo's Guide to Cormyr", available for free in the WotC FR download section. You can also read "Cormyr: a Novel" for a really good step by step history of the kingdom's development. Moreover, this novel has been written by Mr. Ed Greenwood, the creator of the Forgotten Realms!!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  08:46:22  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh! and make sure you read Jerry Davis' article, "The Military of Cormyr", available in the "What's New" section of www.candlekeep.com

It is a blast, and really useful if you plan to have some of your PCs join the military (if you're the DM: if you're a player, it's useful if you want to make a soldier or knight, or even a War Wizard)
Go to Top of Page

manachild
Acolyte

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  09:12:09  Show Profile  Visit manachild's Homepage Send manachild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, i am indeed the dm, and thankyou for your help :)
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  09:19:36  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Thank ye, Purple Dragon Knight. The actual scroll in question is located here.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

manachild
Acolyte

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  10:54:07  Show Profile  Visit manachild's Homepage Send manachild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i thank ye most wholeheartedly for letting me know the location of the scroll, it will be most useful to me in my journy into the lands of cormyr.
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  11:48:19  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think the best place to start is the Dalelands. There are a range of products, such as Volo's Guide to the Dalelands (which is free for download) that detail the Dalelands in a very acceptable way. You are just a jaunt away from Cormyr, Sembia, the Elven Woods, the Moonsea, the Inner Sea, and the Vast. The area is decently populated, but with enough wilderness in between that it makes any adventure possible. It's hard to miss all the ruins everywhere. Plus, I think it has a unique feel that makes it one of the best places.
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  12:31:37  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lashan

Personally, I think the best place to start is the Dalelands. There are a range of products, such as Volo's Guide to the Dalelands (which is free for download) that detail the Dalelands in a very acceptable way. You are just a jaunt away from Cormyr, Sembia, the Elven Woods, the Moonsea, the Inner Sea, and the Vast. The area is decently populated, but with enough wilderness in between that it makes any adventure possible. It's hard to miss all the ruins everywhere. Plus, I think it has a unique feel that makes it one of the best places.

I'll second that, Lashan.

No place like the Dalelands.
Go to Top of Page

zolansilverspear
Acolyte

Turkey
11 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  18:48:34  Show Profile  Visit zolansilverspear's Homepage Send zolansilverspear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lashan

I completely agree. The existance of Drow and the Ruins of Myth Drannor also gives a few good starting points for the long-breathed campaigns

Zolan "BeaR" Silverspear
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  16:02:43  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think it would be great to go back to 1354 or so and start the campaign. I would then run the whole party through all the changes that happen. This includes Lashan's War, the Retreat of the elves, a couple of invasions by Zhentil Keep, the Time of Troubles (or you can skip this), the Iron Legion trying to retake Tethyammar, the problems in Scardale (including the Burning Plauge), the Daggerdale liberation (ie. Sword of the Dalelands), and a host of others. This way, your players have played through some of the most memorable parts of FR history instead of having been told of them.
Go to Top of Page

Jerard Doonsay
Seeker

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  16:37:28  Show Profile  Visit Jerard Doonsay's Homepage Send Jerard Doonsay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always been partial to the Sword Coast and the Western Heartlands, but the Dalelands are making a big move to favoritism. Really most anywhere is well covered and has it's wonders. It's all a matter of what you're looking for.

May history live forever in the writings and stories of those who wish to tell them.

Please come and enjoy my website http://ferien.aribytes.org
Go to Top of Page

Seluus
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2004 :  21:33:44  Show Profile Send Seluus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, and I also agree with the many here who say the Dalelands or Cormyr. The Dalelands are varied, and depending on which ones you choose to visit, they can be quite treacherous and full of intrigue. Cormyr is the best place for a traditional Middleages type campaign, for the Monarchy is almost an exact replica of 13th-15th century europe, and it is a great place for young noblemen and women to make a name for themselves...

Seluus.
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2004 :  23:11:22  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually prefer Amn, Tethyr and also Calimshan is an interesting place. But as is written before, it all really comes down to what campaign you are looking to run. Each area have it different sights and sounds. My current campaign is being run on the Moonshaes and the archepielago surrounding it. After that they will probably head back to The Sword Coast.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Zzdtri
Acolyte

Croatia
27 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  22:35:21  Show Profile  Visit Zzdtri's Homepage Send Zzdtri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no place home...err, Underdark
You should also check out Rashemen, Sword Coast north and Icewind Dale

Haley: Hey wait a minute, aren't dark elves evil?

Nale: Oh, my, no. Not since they became a player race. Now the whole species consists of nothing but chaotic good rebels, yearning to throw off the reputation of their evil kin.

Haley: What are the scimitars for?

ZZ'dtri: They're standard issue.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2004 :  01:16:02  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The campaign I'm running is set in the Silver Marches and North, which is one of my favourite areas. I'm also partial to Waterdeep and the Western Heartlands, which was the first area to pique my interest in the Realms. You can't go wrong with the Dalelands or Cormyr either, they're not called the Heartlancs for nothing.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Sergeant of the Guard
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  13:02:41  Show Profile  Visit Sergeant of the Guard's Homepage Send Sergeant of the Guard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi and hail to all!

My campaign is set in the Dragonmere coast area and Westgate inperticular. I like the area because I can tailor it to my own tasts and not have to refer to alot of supplements other then the Lords of Darkness book.
Basically the God of Cosmic maddness, Azathoth, is fast approaching the Realms and it up to the players to gather the pieces of an artifact to save the realms from this dark gods maddness.
Thats the over all story arc, beneath that, the players need to retreive the long dead body of a guild lord of thiefs, Go to the Misty Mountains (was the Dragon Spine Mountains) to destroy a statue of Mask and over throw the shadow masks guild. Plus other sub sub plots. Choices are a hallmark of a good DM.

Scott
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  13:45:34  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just as a side note, any suggestions here are no longer really helping Manachild, as he has abandoned the Realms(and DnD in general, for the most part) in favor of other worlds, genres, and settings.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  22:24:59  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Capn Charlie

Just as a side note, any suggestions here are no longer really helping Manachild, as he has abandoned the Realms(and DnD in general, for the most part) in favor of other worlds, genres, and settings.

That's a shame; the last post I saw from 'em was over on Worlds, where Real Life had intervened. I hope the hiatus is only a temporary condition but if not... sad to lose 'em.

Lysander

Defender of the Second Edition
Moderator, Project Gemengan, Worlds of D&D
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  23:11:55  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, 'twas more an issue of oh so many FR and DND books, and so comparitively few Shadowrun and, I believe, Vampire ones. As well as more comfort with those settings. Either way, though, always sad to lose a FR fan.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.

Edited by - Capn Charlie on 29 Sep 2004 23:14:45
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2004 :  06:01:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lysander

That's a shame; the last post I saw from 'em was over on Worlds, where Real Life had intervened.

How did a webcomic intervene?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Sep 2004 06:02:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000