Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Ed Greenwood from Greenwood's Grotto
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2023 :  07:33:27  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a NSFW passage in The Adversary

Augustoc, Femboy Warlock — 05/03/2023 9:00 AM

Uh... I have a question for @Ed Greenwood for a clarification about a passage in a Realms novel, but it is quite NSFW...

In The Adversary, there is a passage where a male dragonborn (Clanless Mehen) "turned to the woods to make water".

My question is... how does that even work? Like... do dragonborn have... the usual gear down there? Can they "aim"?

Ed Greenwood — 05/03/2023 10:06 AM

Obviously that dragonborn does. ;}
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2023 :  07:38:40  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On ways to evaluate number of War Wizards in Cormyr

Anton Palikhov aka Palant — 05/02/2023 4:03 AM

@Ed Greenwood i found two ways to evaluate number of War Wizards in Cormyr and thought that you can help to choose more correct.

1) 1/400 has Gift, 30% would became wizards, so number of wizards in population 1/1333 For Cormyr it is possible to use additional multiplier x2 - because of high developed culture of War Wizards so for estimated population of Cormyr 1 500 000 there will be 2250 wizards and 25% of them are War Wizards = 562

2) 1/40000 are wizards (1/90000 is wizard 3rd lvl and more - who can cast 2nd level spell) = 37 Using additional multiplier x2 - because of high developed culture of War Wizards = only 74 wizards ...

I think 1st is much better

Ed Greenwood — 05/03/2023 10:07 AM

I like number one method best, too.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2023 :  08:04:29  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Ylraphon in 15th century

Juniper Churlgo — — 05/06/2023 3:39 AM

A quick Q for Ed. Ylraphon in 15th century. Resettled/rebuilt after being Draco-raged or not?

Ed Greenwood — 05/06/2023 3:50 AM

Resettled and rebuilt, but it's small, thus far, not "right back to what it was." It's too useful as a "get ready for the Lis" put-in for ships to remain abandoned.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2023 :  08:37:43  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On how far money and status can get you in Waterdeep

Genghis Sean — 05/12/2023 1:04 AM

Hello Ed! I am wondering how far money and status can get you in Waterdeep. I have a player who is famous for helping save the world and has a ton of money and wants to live in Waterdeep. What could he accomplish? I assume he could buy a nice house, start or buy a business, become a patron of adventurers, and elevate the status of his middle class merchant family. Could he become a noble with enough money, or do you have to already be in a noble family? How much political influence could he have?

Ed Greenwood — 05/12/2023 9:53 AM

Unless you marry into nobility, these days, entry into the official noble ranks is nigh-impossible. You can no longer buy a noble title (that was only a brief thing; see the GREAT novel by Rosemary Jones, CITY OF THE DEAD). However, Waterdeep is full of "wannabe nobles," who are rich and like to be treated like nobles. There are even "false nobles" who came to the Deep rich and pretended to have a title from somewhere far away (Chessenta, the Vilhon, the Border Kingdoms, and the Tashalar are all distant enough); so long as they spent like nobles, coin-loving Waterdeep socially treated them like nobles. But NOT legally (i.e. the special treatment genuine Waterdeep nobles get). So long as he didn't pratfall and become a ridiculed social buffoon, he could have a lot of political influence if he spent lavishly and didn't advocate policies that are obvious lunacy. All the "I assume" things you listed he could do readily, without any impediment so long as his business didn't compete with a guild's businesses without him joining or submitting to their rules. The Palace really only wants him to buy a business license (register with them) so they can tax him for each business. Beyond that, "coin is king, do your thing." ;}
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2023 :  08:56:43  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Rayburton family in present-day Cormyr

JoeChang — 05/23/2023 7:37 AM

@Ed Greenwood Is the Rayburton noble family still around in present-day Cormyr (other than Alisanda)?

Ed Greenwood — 05/23/2023 11:19 AM

Yes! Low profile (more worldly/involved with merchants and wayfarers than part of the "haughty highnose" social whirl of the uppercrust nobles) and few on the ground, but I have in my notes two adult daughters, Nornabel and Rathandra, who have a wastrel uncle Aljack.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2023 :  13:48:18  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On physical changes a sorcerer might've had while in the Shadowfell

Jace Walker, Planar Traveler — 05/23/2023 5:24 AM

Want to pick your brain real quick @Ed Greenwood, got a player going to be starting in a game of mine that is wanting to be from Thultanthar just before Elminster got involved. Is there anything you can tell me about things a young sorcerer would've dealt with and any physical changes they might've had while in the Shadowfell?

Ed Greenwood — 05/23/2023 11:24 AM

Sorcerer class, specifically? They'd have been sneered at by the foremost arcanists, except for those who'd want to experiment upon them! Meaning, they'd have been socially on the fringes/regarded as young, wild, and untrustworthy of power. No physical changes in the Shadowfell except that they would have developed darkvision, infravision (yes!) and detect dweomer (automatically see auras of recently-cast spells and the strongest magic items/magic-radiating objects) abilities. Which in turn means they'd very likely have survived the events of THE HERALD because they'd physically as well as socially be on the fringes, and so free to jaunt off Thultanthar to explore, as opposed to having been assigned combat duties...
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2023 :  13:58:54  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On name of land north of Reth, just south of where Wavecrest is written on the map and where Akanapeaks end

Juniper Churlgo — 05/23/2023 11:38 AM

Ed, does this piece of land have a name? north of Reth, just south of where Wavecrest is written on the map and where Akanapeaks end.

<https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1072136642162343986/1110411384077955122/latest.png>

Ed Greenwood — 05/23/2023 11:43 AM

Ah, you ask of the Cape of Wyrms, called "Wyrmtail" or just "the Tail" of old.

Augustoc, Femboy Warlock — 05/23/2023 11:45 AM

...and are there Wyrms in there?

Ed Greenwood — 05/23/2023 11:47 AM

In the early 1300s DR, clutches of black dragon eggs hatched in some of the many sea-caves that this promontory (cape) is riddled with. So black dragon hatchlings fought each other, erupted into the lands around, and earned the place its name.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2023 :  14:15:26  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On fate of Qilué Veladorn

Gryphon — 05/28/2023 11:39 AM

Hi @Ed Greenwood ,

Hope you are having a great weekend…!

Two things:

(1) Although I have never gotten the chance to play a proper session of D&D (sadly), I have become obsessed with a character of my own creation that is embedded in Forgotten Realms lore. I am aware that some of the details in my Description/Characteristics, Backstory, and Other notes sections have nits that need to be picked at best and major issues at worst. It is very important to me that my character does not conflict with your vision of the Realms. You probably get a lot of requests to view character sheets, and I apologize for contributing to that, but if you ever get the chance I would love to know your thoughts: https://ddb.ac/characters/101088514/7NI7sb

(2) Qilué Veladorn might be my favourite character in Forgotten Realms canon.

Is it her fate to remain part of the Weave as a Weaveghost, and/or are there any plans for the future involving that character??

Ed Greenwood — 05/28/2023 11:50 AM

I don't seem to able to see any of those sections of the character sheet, just the stats front page. As for Qilué, I do indeed have some plans, but for the foreseeable future, she'll be a Weaveghost...until Mystra or Azuth put her into someone's body, to fulfill a mission that she agrees to (neither deity wants agents running around in their service who aren't personally dedicated to what they've been asked to do). Same goes for Syluné.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2023 :  14:23:11  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On being stumped by a Realms question

Jenzar El — 05/28/2023 1:05 AM

Hi @Ed Greenwood ....just a fun one. Has anyone ever stumped you with a realms question or asked you something that you had to stop and think if there was actually an answer to or something someone asked and you just didn't know.....I'd assume you probably just made up the answer on the fly but I was wondering if there is an untouched realms question you never actually created an answer for

Ed Greenwood — 05/28/2023 11:52 AM

There are many questions that I don’t have answers ready for because I think the answers should be reached at the gaming table, or answered by the player. Examples: well, what are my character’s motivations in this situation? What would you do now, if you were me? (Well, if I were you, I MIGHT know what you would do. I can only know what I would do.) Most of these questions arise from folks who roleplay differently than I do.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2023 :  14:28:52  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the requirements for re-enlisting to the Purple Dragons

Sheepy — 05/25/2023 12:19 AM

Hello again, @Ed Greenwood. This was discussed for a while in the Cormyr channel, but it seemed to be a topic not covered in published lore. I've an NPC who is a former Purple Dragon, and that's what makes me wonder about voluntarily separating from the service. We know there's an initial two-year term, but aside from being competent and a member in good standing, what are the requirements for re-enlisting after that? Is there a process, or benefits? And if a person re-enlists but later decides to voluntarily leave the service, on good terms and without reaching retirement age, what are the requirements and the process? I imagine it wouldn't be as strictly defined as it is in the US military, but there's got to be something more than just not showing up at your post one day.

Ed Greenwood — 05/28/2023 11:55 AM

If you’re a Purple Dragon and want to re-enlist, you show up at a post with a standing garrison (not a watchpost or waypost, unless you want to ask there where the nearest suitable garrison is) and present yourself as desiring to “wear the Purple” once more. You’ll be taken before a Wizard of War and an officer and bluntly asked why (and if the wizard is suspicious of you for any reason, mind-reaming will ensue, to make sure you aren’t a spy or being coerced or magically dominated or blackmailed into joining up for “reasons detrimental to the Dragon Throne”). You’ll also be asked where and how you want to serve.

If you pass this test, you’re in (though not necessarily posted to where and what you said you wanted to be). You customarily enter one rank below the one you departed at (unless you left at the lowest rank), but after a time of “satisfactory service” (often “a season”) are elevated to your former rank (and pay), and continue on from there.

If you’ve never left, and want to continue to serve at the end of your two years, that’s a much simpler process of being interviewed by your commanding officer (which will happen automatically unless there’s some screwup in the records; you won’t have to request it) and asking if you want to “stay on.” If you answer yes, you do (it’s that simple), but shortly thereafter (VERY shortly, if you request a reassignment to a different location or duties) you will end up in another interview, with a War Wizard present (who may or may not be hidden from you) to use magic to read your thoughts that’s gentler than mind-reaming, and at that interview asked if you’re “happy” with your current service: you’re being given a chance to request a reassignment, or make any other comments about conditions, without your commanding officer being present to hear. That doesn’t mean you’ll get reassigned. {Part 2 follows}

{Part 2} Officers do watch their subordinates, and anyone showing signs of restlessness will often get surprise missions to enliven their service, to avoid boredom or dissatisfaction breeding mischief or even disloyalty.

Sheepy — 05/28/2023 10:19 PM

This is some good stuff, friend Ed, thankee! But what about voluntarily leaving service, without having reached the age of retirement? I specifically thinking of someone who re-ups, but later decides (for whatever reason) that the service is no longer for them and that they want to leave as soon as they can.

Ed Greenwood — 05/29/2023 10:57 PM

A sensible Purple Dragon who wants out will go to a Wizard of War and tell them how they're feeling. (If they want to soften that message, it's a common ploy to say they had a dream and a deity guided them therein that it was time to "lay down sword" in service to the Dragon Throne. Even if the War Wizard doesn't believe that, it's "not the done thing" to scoff openly at it.) Unless it's wartime or there's a crisis (flood, flight of dragons, etc.), there'll be an immediate, and friendly, "exit interview" in which the departing Dragon is asked to tell superiors about anything unfinished, anything they should know, and is given food, gear, payout, etc. It's not a "hard feelings" thing, from Caladnei and Queen Fee in combo onwards, Cormyr hasn't wanted disaffected or burnt-out folk in uniform (the risk of Sembia or disloyal nobles or anyone else co-opting them is too great). So...it's that easy. Who DOES get looked askance at is someone who "hops in and out, in and out" of service.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2023 :  14:34:08  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On how the Second Sundering worked

coinín dubh — 05/30/2023 7:29 AM

@Ed Greenwood As part of one of the PC’s backstory in the campaign I’m running, he is originally from one of the lands (Maztica) that was transported from Abeir during the Spellplague that was then transported back to Toril during the Second Sundering. Part of a long term quest for that player is to find his missing mother who disappeared while out at sea during the time the continent was transported back to Toril during the sundering. I had secretly planned the reason his mother disappeared was that, since she was at sea, she is actually still back in Abeir. I wanted to see if I had a correct understanding of how the Second Sundering worked and if that would be possible? Or would those out at sea still be considered linked and therefore would have been transported to Toril as well, albeit in one of Toril’s seas?

Ed Greenwood — 05/30/2023 9:51 AM

The Second Sundering was chaotic; any particular being or item could have "transferred back" or not, or gone back and forth several times, or even have ended up in the Astral or Ethereal or another Prime Material Plane, if one of its shifts brought it "through" something else that was larger, itself phasing, and more magical (think of a soft, silent ricocheting of balls off each other and the edges of a pool table, caroming so gently that there are no "felt" impacts and if the balls were sentient they might not even know they'd hit something...so the mother can be anywhere you the DM want her to be. :}
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2023 :  14:37:38  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Cormyrian custom of women wearing purple scarves to show they want marriage

JoeChang — 06/01/2023 9:20 PM

@Ed Greenwood We know about the Cormyrian custom of women wearing purple scarves to show they want marriage. Is this more common in some classes than others? It's hard to imagine wealthy noble girls doing so.

Ed Greenwood — 06/02/2023 7:02 AM

Everyone does it, regardless of class. Those who don't are those who don't want to advertise their availability (again, regardless of class).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2023 :  14:39:44  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On what established vampires like Artor Morlin and Jander Sunstar have been up to

JoeChang — 06/03/2023 7:43 PM

@Ed Greenwood Patreon suggestion: though vampires are overshadowed by liches in power and influence, they are among the sexiest, most stylish monsters around. Could you please tell us what established vampires like Artor Morlin and Jander Sunstar have been up to? And shed some light on other lords of darkness who have been hiding from us.

Ed Greenwood — 06/04/2023 4:50 AM

Heh. Vampires vid coming up on YouTube soon-ish, but Artor and Jander will have to wait a bit longer...
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2023 :  14:48:34  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On giving players a taste of the Realms within the bounds of the tournament milieu

George Krashos — 06/04/2023 12:22 AM

Hi Ed. Recalled the other day that your adventure “Into the Forgotten Realms” from Dragon #95 was used as a tournament module at Gen Con XVII in 1984. Before there was even a published Realms! Can you tell us how that came about, whether you DM-ed it yourself at the con and how it played? Did you get a chance to give the players a taste of the Realms within the bounds of the tournament milieu?

Ed Greenwood — 06/04/2023 4:56 AM

Yes, I ran it myself (and gave copies away to all of my players when the session was done). I made it a race against Lashan's takeover, with a warband he'd sent hastening after the PCs through the "dungeon," to build urgency (no listening at doors and checking every ten feet for pit traps ;} ). The players loved it and wanted to go on playing that night in my hotel room, but Jen vetoed that, telling them "If Ed is in our room, he's playing with ME, thank you very much!" ...so we played it in one of their rooms, until 1 am. ;} The second sesh, the next day, included some TSR staffers (though I didn't know that until later) who were apparently impressed. Doubly so when they got their free copies and said to each other (about the copies), "Why aren't WE doing this?"
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2023 :  14:50:42  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On orcs among the Zhentilar

Sheepy — 06/04/2023 10:43 AM

Friend @Ed Greenwood, I add another question to my queue, also pertaining to an NPC idea. Orcs among the Zhentilar: are they in all-orc units, or mixed in with other races? On a related note, how do the Zhentilar gain new recruits?

Ed Greenwood — 06/06/2023 9:26 AM

Orcs among the Zhents are mixed in with other races, often used as a “heavy squad” of well-armored brutes who can charge to disrupt strong foes. This usage was born of Zhentilar commanders not trusting orc-only units to be loyal, and to work well with others (some were of the opinion that as orcs might eat their fellow soldiers, they’d not care if many got wounded, or overwhelmed by foes and slain, because it would mean more meat for dinner—and it doesn’t matter if this thinking was correct or well-founded, because it was often followed).

The Zhentilar recruit dockside at many Inner Sea ports, offering good pay (which they follow through on; this is NOT a deception) to arrivals who can’t find steady work, or the amount of coin they thought they’d make from a landed cargo, or who’ve been tossed off a crew for behavioral reasons. They also quietly offer to take “inconvenient” prisoners (political or too-well-connected-to-punish) incarcerations off the hands of many city rulers (who can claim, later, that these vanished folk escaped from custody, and are now whereabouts unknown), and transport and enroll these in the Zhentilar ranks forcibly, but feed and pay them well during training (making sure they’re deployed in places where desertion will be a likely death sentence, not an easy way to slip away).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2023 :  12:30:45  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Queen Filfaeril's background

JoeChang — 06/06/2023 1:33 PM

Hi @Ed Greenwood, a suggestion for Patreon: Queen Filfaeril is one of my favorite characters of Corymr (and I'm sure of many other fans). She was strong, proactive, yet never menacing. A classic queen for the side of the "good guys". But we know so little of her background. Which noble house is she from, or is she noble-born at all? Was her marriage arranged, or did Azoun find her? Did she become allied with the Chosen and the Harpers after her ascension, or earlier?

Ed Greenwood — 06/07/2023 6:31 AM

Queen Fee is on the list of Patreon posts to pen, never fear!
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2023 :  14:21:22  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On opening a grand opera house in Suzail circa 1370s DR

Melody — 05/30/2023 2:48 PM

Ed! If someone wanted to create a grand opera house in Suzail circa 1370s DR, did such things exist in FR at the time? Whether they did or not, what would be the process by which someone needs o 1.) Acquire the rights to build or buy a building to establish a theater, 2.) What sort of guilds/laborers/etc would they need to hire, and 3.) What sort of Crown or local permits and other jurisdictional hurdles would they need to overcome?

Ed Greenwood — 06/07/2023 6:31 AM

By the 1370s DR, Suzail has firm urban planning in the form of which building permits (and "maintenance orders") are issued by the Royal Court inspectors and clerks, and their wording. They also issue licenses to "badge" or anoint building crews (and can revoke them if a building crew does substandard work and something collapses or fails an inspection, or too many public complaints accrue), but such building crews are independent small companies.

Suzail has long resisted guilds taking hold (following the lead of Sembia, where city guilds are small and non-exclusive; they CANNOT force anyone to join them, or establish any sort of monopoly over professions), and as a reaction against what prevails in Waterdeep; families like the Rallyhorns and Roaringhorns, who dwell in both Suzail and Waterdeep, have warned against allowing guilds any sort of control (both because prices rise, and because "guildmasters have the effrontery to know better than the nobles who are paying for it all").

So someone building a theater would need to hire a "builder" (combination of architect and engineer) who would have to get permits from the Royal Court (effectively, approval of the design, which must be "stable" and must not "intrude" upon the street or neighboring structures—i.e. you can't jut out into the street, and you can't block your neighbors' access or "all off" all of their views by building at an angle out in front of them.

Suzail at that time had six major builders (wealthy, respected older men and women) and about twice that many small, rising, or struggling competitors; the six major ones almost never had trouble getting permits, or changes made to their designs in order to get permits. My lore notes only have the names of two of the six: Nalaerra Tronsival, a smart and forceful woman from Chessenta who has many suitors but little interest in most of them, and Brordryn Halavar, a white-haired old sophisticate whose dry courtesy keeps him on the very edge of being haughty.

The builder would recommend crews of carpenters and roofers (the aforementioned "building crews") to put up the structure, but the patron can choose to hire others. "Carpenters" by the 1340s included masons and bricklayers (specialty mason crews are usually hired only for sculpted stonework like ornate pediments and anything involving pillars), and roofers were then (and are now, in the 1490s DR) always separate crews from carpenters.

In the 1370s, Suzail had two established playhouses, with many taverns and clubs hosting live music and minstrels or bards doing standup oratory and comedy. These establishments are Randalanter's Roistery and Taertranth's House.

Randalanter's Roistery: north front (northeasternfront, really) Ilvander's Lane, between the two alleymouths, with Randalanter's Board eatery (large dining hall) being the attached building on the south, end-on to the Lane, and the playhouse being the more northerly building side-on to the Lane; to locate it on the Blando Suzail mao, find The Golden Goblin, feature #66, and look east-northeast across the road (Ilvander's Lane) to the cluster of buildings between the two alleymouths. The Board is a brown brick box with a tile "barn hip roof," and the timber-and-stucco playhouse recently got as matching tile "barn hip roof." The playhouse has "Randalanter's" spelled out all along its streetfront side in man-high, crimson-painted wooden individual letters standing proud of the wall on spikes, but the Board has no sign at all, just two hanging iron cage lanterns flanking its front entrance double door. Patrons customarily enter the playhouse through the eatery, though the playhouse has two emergency exits and a wagon-wide 'stage door' out back, into the interior of the city block, and the Board also has back and side doors.

Maerest Randalanter is a flamboyant, still-handsome, aging patriarch (goatee, long flowing hair, dyed chestnut brown now that it's going white, and large beaky nose and bright emerald eyes) who was formerly a "leading man" actor (and, popular gossip rushes to assure us, the lover of more bored noble wives in his day than anyone but Azoun IV himself). He's now wealthy and successful, a dozen-property Suzail landlord who invests in vineyards near Kirinwood, and makes more coin from the Board than it costs to run the playhouse. He and his large family (wife Oroana, son Rilvrand, and all six daughters are thespians, and Oroana and eldest daughter Thaya are both superb "smoky alto" singers) all direct (and from time to time appear in) plays, mainly comedies of manners but with a few family-romance dramas centered around tumultuous historical times in Cormyr; the reign of Duar is a favourite setting). Some productions they write themselves, but most are revamped versions of "classic" Cormyrean plays. All tend to play to seventy-to-eighty-percent full houses, day in and day out, an afternoon and an evening production every day around the year except the big "common calendar" festival days.

and:

Taertranth's House: northfront Arhorn Ride, two doors east of Sheath Alley (on the Blando map, find the Trueshield Trading Priakos yards, feature #68, go due north from the "8" until you hit a building, and it's the building next door, to your right). A former warehouse with a new light gray tile roof, this looks like a beam, post, and board barn from the outside, and has a signboard proclaiming it to be "Taertranth's House" over the row of four front doors (there's a stage door at the back, but not for the use of the public).

The House is owned and run by Roysaera Taertranth, a tall, striking brunette of an actor who's infamous for being a superb mimic (infamous because she rose to fame not as an actress, but for her mimicry of various nobles, when hired by rival nobles to play pranks) and is a stubborn, iron-willed but gracious and polite woman good in business but spectacular onstage. Now in her late thirties (and fending off half a dozen hopeful noble suitors, young and old, of both genders), she's easing into directing and managing, letting younger women play some of the leads now, where before she starred in everything. Her House is home to most of the tragedies, experimental plays, and "forays" (plays consisting of three to five separate acts that are really plays all their own, but that share a common place or family or major characters, often at different times to show a family down generations, or a castle under different lords) mounted in Suzail, and some haughty nobles and fans of plays consider it the place to see "superior" or "serious" theater: it's the home of "acting that actors admire."

Building a third competitor to the Roistery and the House might be a likely way to lose a lot of money unless you are offering something different by way of entertainment—and opera would indeed be that; most plays may have brief songs or snatches of songs incorporated, often as prophecies or divine words of guidance chanted by actors portraying clergy, but entire productions of music and song are rare. The way to swift success would of course be to make it socially popular by involving (and flattering) noble families as sponsors.

Fronting on the Promenade would be the most desirable location for an opera house, but getting such a spot would be difficult and expensive; there's intense competition for such locations, permits will be more exacting and difficult to obtain for this frontage than for anywhere except adjacent to city gates, the docks, and military buildings, and there will be a public backlash from those who lose whatever "favourite" establishments you displace.

Taking over and converting an existing building as opposed to building new is the one way to get a desired location; all you need for this is so much money that the building owner can't resist your offer.

Juniper Churlgo — 06/04/2023 7:49 AM

but which one of them is "Suzail Royal Theatre", a large building downtown - Draconomicon page 120 #129300;

Ed Greenwood — 06/07/2023 6:50 AM

None of them. The Suzail Royal Theatre burned down in 1496 DR, and is still being rebuilt (many courtiers fighting over details).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2023 :  14:33:46  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On waters of the Moonsea being described as “amethyst colored”

coinín dubh — 06/08/2023 12:33 PM

@Ed Greenwood If this strikes you as a frivolous question, please ignore. However, I have been curious a long time about the waters of the Moonsea being described as “amethyst colored” and if that was a subtle wink and nod to Homer describing the Mediterranean Sea as “wine-dark” in the Odyssey and the Iliad? Or is it a coincidence that isn’t there? (This stems from an older Radiolab podcast about language and color where they mentioned the former UK Prime Minister William Gladstone was one of the first to note this and their was no word referencing the color blue: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine-dark_sea_(Homer)

<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine-dark_sea_(Homer)>

Ed Greenwood — 06/09/2023 12:06 AM

Hi! Not frivolous at all! When creating that area of the Realms, which is incredibly mining-mineral-rich to the north of the Moonsea (the reason for the human explorations and settlement, the rise of the Zhentarim, etc.), I wanted to underscore the abundance/richness of the presence of metal-rich veins by having them taint the water. It's not a nod to anything real world aside from that.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2023 :  14:36:04  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On land immediately outside city walls and gates

JoeChang — 06/10/2023 7:57 AM

Hi @Ed Greenwood in the Realms is the land immediately outside city walls and gates kept clear of permanent structures? Do city authorities allow stalls and hawkers along the approach to a gate?

Ed Greenwood — 06/10/2023 12:12 PM

Yes, usually. Stalls and hawkers are sometimes allowed, but they are usually forced to work from portable carts and wagons, and move when ordered or face arrest and confiscations/forfeitures (so no “Oops my mule is lame/cart’s wheel is broken, I can’t move, sorry, ha ha” situations).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2023 :  14:39:05  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On watermelon rinds in Sembia served in Halls of Stormweather

Juniper Churlgo — 06/13/2023 10:07 PM

As the season is coming - watermelon rinds in Sembia served in Halls of Stormweather - are they pickled? jammed? or candied? asking for a fat halfling friend of yours, Ed

Ed Greenwood — 06/14/2023 4:59 AM

They are pounded thin, then candied, and then pickled in an almond brandy (that’s rather like real-world Amaretto).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2023 :  14:43:24  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On how Thultanthar treated others of different races

Jace Walker, Planar Traveler — 06/14/2023 6:31 AM

@Ed Greenwood I know you are super busy with all the requests but another question regarding Thultanthar. Wondering how the people would've treated others of different races, primarily an elven Shadar-Kai as it may end up as a potential player character.

Ed Greenwood — 06/14/2023 6:35 AM

Although this is a stereotype and like all such, breaks down when applied to individuals, the Thultanthans tended to be racist; they looked down on Low Netherese, and looked down from a far greater mental height on non-Netherese, and from an even greater mental height on non-humans. Including elves. Again, not every individual held such views, but the culture in Thulthanthar did. (Not every Netherese flying city was like this.)
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2023 :  14:46:12  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On possibility for any Draconic deity to have non-scaly humanoid followers/clerics

Shifte — 06/17/2023 2:42 PM

@Ed Greenwood Hi Ed. I was wondering if it would be possible for any Draconic deity to have non-scaly humanoid followers/clerics? I know that works for Tiamat/Bahamut, ofc.

Ed Greenwood — 06/18/2023 10:29 PM

Followers: certainly. In the Realms, everyone believes in all of the deities, and if you think one deity is “the one for you,” and venerate them over other deities, you’re a “follower.” Clerics: yes, quite possible, but rare. Many dragons mistrust humans, and this usually outweighs their realisation that having humans as representatives is useful.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2023 :  14:48:17  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On wandering adventuring bands

JoeChang — 06/17/2023 8:56 PM

@Ed Greenwood Patreon suggestion: I'm reading your novel Spellfire and really getting into the Company of the Bright Spear before they suddenly went kablooey. It would be pretty cool to know a few of the groups currently wandering the Realms, who could be allies, competitors or adversaries for PCs.

Yes, I’ve done rosters of current adventuring bands many times for in-house TSR design documents. I’ll work one up for the last years of the 1490s DR.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2023 :  14:50:45  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On what is being mined in the Desertsmouth Mountains and the Storm Horns

Sheepy — 06/17/2023 11:19 PM

Friend @Ed Greenwood, I add another question to my queue! I was just doing some research, and I find a lot of references to dwarves mining in and under the Desertsmouth Mountains and the Storm Horns. But I don't see any mention of what they were mining. I'm particularly interested in the Storm Horns, but given their proximity, I'm assuming the Desertmouth Mountains would have similar ores. Is there anything you can tell us about what was mined there, and what the dwarves exported?

Certainly. The dwarven mines in those areas are following separate veins of iron, of nickel, and of zinc. So, “boring but useful.” With the exception of a small but rich silver deposit at the southwestern end of the Storm Horns, worked out by 1212 DR.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2023 :  14:54:47  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On magisters' authority

returnip — 06/19/2023 1:03 AM

@Ed Greenwood Hey. Love your installment about swindles, but there was one part that had me confused.

"the magister can order accused, accuser, and/or the Watch to go and fetch evidence, or write something so a sample of their writing can be examined, to try something physical that they’re accused of doing, and so on."

Could you elaborate a little bit on this? Or if someone else believe they understood this part I'd very much appreciate if you can clarify what this means.

Mythrar — 06/19/2023 2:17 AM

I think @Ed Greenwood is referring to different methods available to our modern day detectives.

“Fetching evidence” would be like a warrant; the legal authority to go and search or seize someone’s property.

“Write something” would be a type of order issued to a person to legally compel them to write something so that investigators could examine it in the case of forgery or document fraud

“Try something physical” would be an order similar to the modern world where detectives will “recreate” a crime or burglary in order to determine if such a caper was realistically able to be pulled off; i.e. if someone is accused of scaling a 40 foot wall and burgling 80 pounds of coin and gems and was thought to have descended back down carrying that much loot, members of the watch might be tasked to accomplish the same task to determine if such a feat were even possible. If found to be too difficult or take more time than the accused had according to an alibi then the charges might be modified or thrown out.

This is what I think @Ed Greenwood meant.

Ed Greenwood — 06/19/2023 8:02 AM

Mythrar has the right of it. :} The "magister" is the judge presiding in a trial. The magister has the authority to demand parties produce evidence, or create it in the form of handwriting that can be compared with evidence, and so on. I was pointing out that the judge's authority, in customary practise, extends this far.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2023 :  23:35:10  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the gem embedded in Fzoul's forehead

DMHFzoulf — 06/13/2023 4:30 PM

Ahh well, biting the bullet... Well again @Ed Greenwood . Could you enlighten us to the story with the gem embedded in Fzoul's forehead? Enquiring scribes want to know #128578;

Ed Greenwood — 06/19/2023 9:14 AM

Certainly. Fzoul wanted to be able to cast and benefit from certain arcane spells in addition to the divine spells he was granted, largely for self defense. As senior Banite priests often wear forehead-gems to denote their rank, Fzoul decided to replace his gem with one that would have spell storing capabilities.

So he sought some way of gaining constant access to a ring of spell storing or equivalent, preferably one that had a far greater capacity than the rings he knew of: arsenals of “ready” arcane spells he could cast by silent act of will (in 5e, as a bonus action). He found a source and made a deal with her to craft a spell gem for him, which she did; he then attuned himself to the gem in a ritual that bonded it to his forehead and made him mentally able to access all of its stored spells, each of which returned to the gem a day (24 hours) after being cast, if Fzoul performed the right (sacrificial) ritual.

The name of the night hag who crafted the gem, how she did it, and the specifics and consequences of Fzoul’s deal with her are all heavily NDA’d (thanks to a planned adventure that will probably never appear), but I can reveal the contents of Fzoul’s spell gem, updated to 5e terms (all cast as if by a wizard of 8th level): the cantrips blade ward and message, and the spells disguise self, feather fall, unseen servant/darkvision, misty step, pyrotechnics, see invisibility/bestow curse, counterspell, gaseous form, nondetection, vampiric touch, water breathing/arcane eye, blight, charm monster, dimension door, fabricate, fire shield, polymorph, and stoneskin.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2023 :  23:37:58  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the connections with Shoon Imperium and the Shoon descendants

Reedhalloran Duskfellow — 06/17/2023 12:39 AM

In the vein of Efreeti lore, I would also love to know more about the connections with Shoon Imperium (given all the portals down that way in Calimshan) and the Shoon descendants (Manshoon and his family).

GDallison — 06/17/2023 12:47 AM

Manshoon was not related to the Shoon dynasty as far as I'm aware.

His body was co-opted by another being during his early life as revealed in the Nine Jewels of Neverwinter on DMs Guild by Eric Boyd and George Krashos.

If you do not consider their work to be canon I can assure you that it is the truth about Manshoon (although the source is not mine to reveal).

Ed Greenwood — 06/19/2023 9:17 AM

The Nine Jewels of Neverwinter is canon Realmslore, and Manshoon is not related to the Shoon dynasty.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2023 :  23:42:20  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On laws against trading with orc and goblinkind

JoeChang — 06/14/2023 9:36 AM

@Ed Greenwood In the human cities and nations, are there laws against trading with orc and goblinkind? Or is this such an outrageous and rare practice that it's never needed specific prohibition (just covered under "treason").

Ed Greenwood — 06/19/2023 9:21 AM

Although there may be some local exceptions, in small Sword Coast North villages and hamlets that have often been raided by orcs, there’s no treason in trading with orcs or other goblinkin, and no laws against it. Many individuals may be frightened to engage in contact with orcs or other goblinkin, unless in large armed groups, but it’s not a legal thing.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2023 :  00:09:22  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the timeline around the location of the Neverwinter's House/Hall of Knowledge between the eruption of Mount Hotenow and 1496 DR

Reedhalloran Duskfellow — 06/12/2023 1:35 AM

Hail @Ed Greenwood, I'm trying to work out some of the timelines regarding Neverwinter's House/Hall of Knowledge. In Acquistions Inc, it sounds like the exterior is fully restored and the interior is undergoing repairs by 1496 DR and houses government records while being a "place of learning." I imagine between then and the destruction of Neverwinter that the great body of works that the House of Knowledge held had to be removed and kept safe somewhere. Do you have any notes on the timeline around the location of the collection between the eruption of Mount Hotenow and 1496 DR?

Ed Greenwood — 06/19/2023 9:37 AM

Yes. The Leaves of Learning temple of Oghma in Highmoon has a Holy Gate (portal) hidden in its innermost rooms that is a two-way means of accessing several dry, warm chambers deep within the Thunder Peaks due west of Deepingdale.

The clergy of Oghma and Deneir worked together in a frantic combined effort, calling in favors from the Harpers, the Heralds, and even the Chosen of Mystra to aid them in transporting magical tomes to the Leaves of Learning, and translocating (by various specialized teleportation magics) all non-magical tomes and papers, to the Leaves, where they were rushed through the Holy Gate and into safe storage, along with some mysterious [NDA’d, so don’t ask] sort of divine guardian.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2023 :  00:11:51  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Amarune Whitewave's name

Doc Webb — 06/05/2023 10:27 AM

@Ed Greenwood Just reading the updated text of Spellfire (last read it back in the ‘80s, and it’s a delight to see the new content!), and I was wondering if Amarune Whitewave was named for the malaugrym of the same name, or if it’s just a common name/coincidence. Thanks!

Ed Greenwood — 06/19/2023 9:53 AM

Heh. You have stumbled upon a NDA wall. I’ll see what I can reveal in the fullness of time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000