Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Ed Greenwood from Greenwood's Grotto
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2023 :  13:51:53  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On One-Eyed King be available on Amazon Kindle

JoeChang — 03/12/2023 8:18 PM

@Ed Greenwood Will the One-Eyed King be available on Amazon Kindle? They won't ship the paperback to my part of the world, for some reason.

Ed Greenwood — 03/13/2023 6:00 AM

I will talk to the publisher, Andrew Valkauskas, about that, and let you know.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2023 :  01:22:48  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Falx

Kamuai — 03/12/2023 1:54 PM

@Ed Greenwood Hello, could you tell me a little about Falx? Some theories state that the Tarrasque originally came from that Planet. Is there any truth to that? If so how did the Tarrasque planet hop to Toril? Also, if so, is there truly only one Tarrasque?

Ed Greenwood — 03/13/2023 6:14 AM

Some scholars believe Falx is where tarrasques originated, but that’s informed academic speculation at best; the truth is, no one knows, as to all humans alive today, sages and otherwise, tarrasques have just “always been around.”

As you can tell from my answer, the belief that there’s only one Tarrasque is simply that: a mistaken belief. There have been many tarrasques, and some of them have been plane shifted (multiple powerful wizards working together can quickly exhaust a tarrasque’s magic resistance) to other planes, or have blundered through gates/portals into various worlds (parallel Prime Material Planes). You can find details of Falx on the FR Wiki, and to what’s there I can add that the illithids who dwell there have for years been experimenting, trying to isolate and harness whatever conditions or innate nature of the cavern fungi and mosses makes them grow so fast (that they can support all the “heavy feeders” of Falx, including the hundreds of tarrasques and thousands of illithids, orcs, goblins, creepworms, and other subterranean life (all of whom eat fungi and mosses as well as each other or each other’s brains).

Kamuai — 03/13/2023 6:16 AM

This is awesome knowledge. The hundreds of Tarrasques part is frightening. Thank you so much.

Ed Greenwood — 03/13/2023 6:23 AM

My pleasure. I wouldn't choose Falx for my next vacation spot.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2023 :  01:24:56  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Telnarquel being a real city or made up by Dove

ericlboyd — 03/13/2023 7:32 AM

Hi Ed!

Quick question from Silverfall: Is Telnarquel (abandoned drow city) a real city or made up by Dove? If it's real, where is it located?

Ed Greenwood — 03/13/2023 7:49 AM

Real. And it's just about directly under Yallasch, in the Border Kingdoms (but DEEP, not right under).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2023 :  01:30:48  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On any direct descendant of Piergeiron Paladinson alive in 1492 DR

Agneus — 03/12/2023 9:13 PM

@Ed Greenwood is any direct descendant of Piergeiron Paladinson alive in 1492 DR? If so who are they and what are they up to? I haven't found if Aleena and Savengriff had any children.

Ed Greenwood — 03/13/2023 7:52 AM

Yes, Piergeiron’s great-grandson Erlend and great-granddaughter Phaenarra (“Fay-NAR-ah”) Brightcovenant, children of Breszyn Brightcovenant and Amauntha Bryndfeather. Their mother, Amauntha, is still alive but elderly and ailing.

The lineage (all children in this answer are in listed in birth order, within each family):

Aleena and Savengriff (who adopted the new surname “Brightcovenant,” which was recognized by the High Heralds) had two children, son Roryngar and daughter Jaelythe.

In the fullness of time, Roryngar Brightcovenant wed the sorceress-adventuress Pharnalice (“FARN-ah-leese”) Wendragon of Beregost, and they had four children: sons Alaunder and Breszyn (“BREZ-zin”), and daughters Zuwaene (“Zoo-WAYNE”) and Tshalantra (“Shall-LAN-truh”).

Jaelythe Brightcovenant wed the paladin Veldaern Halarjack of Riatavin, and they had two children: daughter Shandance and son Tanlyn. Tanlyn had a long adventuring career and many lovers but never wed nor had issue before he was killed in a battle with orcs in the Rauvin Vale. Shandance married the ranger Symordar Mrindulphyn, but they had no children, and she outlived him and is still alive today, vigorous and living with three other women (her companions in the adventuring band The Sisterswords of Silverymoon, Silverymoon being where they live).

Alaunder became a paladin, and never married before his death in battle, but Breszyn wed Amauntha Bryndfeather of Secomber, and they had son Erlend (born 1472 DR) and daughter Phaenarra (born 1474 DR).

Zuwaene became an adventurer, and disappeared somewhere east of Turnstone Pass in 1456 DR; her fate is unknown. Tshalantra became a mage of some accomplishment, and has several lovers but is not yet wed, and is childless.

Erlend is a swordsman (tutored in Athkatla) and has applied to the Church of Tyr to take instruction (he obviously wants to become a paladin like Piergeiron was).

(Part 2 follows)

Phaenarra is a sorceress working as a valuable-cargoes guard in Amn and Tethyr, with occasional runs to Scornubel and Waterdeep. She’s acquired a “don’t mess with her” reputation, and seems to have several magic items up her sleeve.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2023 :  03:54:26  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On what Ed is shooting

Cdawg — 03/16/2023 9:52 AM

Just checking if this channel is locked.

Ed Greenwood — 03/16/2023 12:42 PM

No, it's not. :} Hi!!! However, I'm deep in taxes and doing film shoots and getting adventures written for GaryCon...so not checking this week as often as I was checking...

DaBroni (actually a CR 0 spider) — 03/16/2023 7:20 PM

I told myself I would not use this channel no more to let you breath until Ivan find a new way to get our questions answered, but you got me curious with those film shoots. Can you tell us more about them?

Ed Greenwood — 03/17/2023 9:53 AM

For one shoot, see the Six Sides of Gaming channel on YouTube, and look for Destiny of Worlds (a 6-episode tale, new episodes every Wednesday at 8pm Eastern). Me as Elminster.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2023 :  04:01:40  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Spellquench and Spellshatter

rweston_DnD — 03/27/2023 2:00 AM

Hi @Ed Greenwood , hope your Garycon was fantastic!!!

Question on "realmspeak" terms from your novels - Spellquench and Spellshatter, are those better terms for "dispel magic" and "anti-aging shell" respectively??

Ed Greenwood — 03/28/2023 8:33 AM

It was! Spellquench and Spellshatter are different spells that do similar things. In the Realms, most magical effects have several enchantments that can cause them.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2023 :  04:08:55  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On nickname for the Way of the Manticore

JoeChang — 03/28/2023 5:02 PM

Welcome back @Ed Greenwood ! Also, is there a nickname for the Way of the Manticore? That's quite a mouthful, especially when you're giving directions.

Jeremy G. — 03/28/2023 10:07 PM

I’m not Ed, but I think I’ve seen him refer to it as “the Way.”

Ed Greenwood — 03/29/2023 9:30 AM

Jeremy is right; "the Way" it is in daily speech, indeed (unless you're clergy of Oghma or Deneir; to them, it's "the Tomewalk").
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2023 :  04:16:35  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On examples of epic quests to cure lycanthropy in the Realms

Doc Webb — 03/28/2023 10:46 PM

@Ed Greenwood A question regarding lycanthropy, sir, if I may? In our home game, my wife’s paladin has contracted lycanthropy (from a wererat, no less), and I’d like to have the cure be more complicated than just securing a cast of Cure Disease. Have there been any examples of epic quests to cure such a curse in the Realms, or do you have any ideas for a lore-relevant way to have it lifted? Thanks so much!

Ed Greenwood — 03/29/2023 9:37 AM

This has happened in the home Realms campaign a time or two, and the cure involved getting the same sort of lycanthrope to WILLINGLY share (mingle) their fresh-shed blood with the afflicted character (so, not wounding them in combat, but in a friendly manner wounding each other and sharing). In the right conditions, with the right prayers from clerics, a cure for both.

Note the underlying principle: opportunity for more player agency, and more STORIES.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2023 :  06:46:54  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On first map and layout of Waterdeep

rweston_DnD — 03/21/2023 5:14 AM

@Ed Greenwood We all know you created Waterdeep almost (but no quite) 50 years ago in your stories of Mirt and Elminster, but when did you first map out and imagine the layout of the city. Were there any inspirations for it's look and feel?

Ed Greenwood — 04/02/2023 9:52 PM

I started creating Waterdeep in 1966, and began with the idea of a huge deepwater harbour in the lee of a seacoast mountain, that a bustling crossroads trading city had developed around (London, England for the docks and ferries, Lankhmar for the “feel”). But I visualise imaginary places, and walk around them in my mind, so it’s mainly from that; I mapped it out fully in 1978 but had Dock Ward and Castle Ward done by 1968.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2023 :  06:52:42  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Pizza in the Realms

edmaster44 — 04/11/2023 1:59 AM

As a New Yorker I gotta ask, Pizza? Is that a thing in the Realms or is there something equivalent to Pizza

neutrondecay — 04/11/2023 3:27 AM

If I had to look anywhere in the Realms for specifically a topped flatbread, I would probably start in Calimport.

Ed Greenwood — 04/11/2023 4:59 AM

Calishite flatbreads are spiced and covered with baked pastes that often incorporate pistachios and crushed olives (like an antipasto) and more rarely, small salty fish. Tethyrian flatbreads are more often spread with a VERY THIN layer of melted cheese with chives and garlic and other herbs (for eating with wine). In Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate, you can get every region's version of flatbreads, including Silverymoon's sugar and cinammon "flatbites."

Returnip — 04/11/2023 5:01 AM

I'd wager there's flatbread with pickled herring, dill, sour cream and chives in Ruathym.

Ed Greenwood — 04/11/2023 5:03 AM

Why, yes! Also salty, crunchy fried squid. Some insist on eating squid with black olives imported from Calimshan and the Tashalar. Please note that flatbread in Ruathym is round or oval with a raised edge.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2023 :  06:59:31  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On erased river from Cormyr 2e map

Juniper Churlgo — 04/12/2023 4:23 AM

In case Ed wants to share lore or anyone else knows of published info here. What's the name of this river that was erased in later editions' maps? And is there at least general lore for these two markers from the color Cormyr 2e map? (that book's both maps have some very obscure pins)

<https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1072136642162343986/1095444123835707572/Screenshot_2023-04-11_at_10.44.59_AM_2.png?width=742&height=670>

Ed Greenwood — 04/12/2023 11:33 AM

I've done an in-depth lore answer about those places on Twitter, some years back.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2023 :  07:02:57  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Starmantle in the late 1490

Juniper Churlgo — 04/14/2023 11:46 PM

Was Starmantle ever resettled after it was incinerated in the S-Splague? Or is it still a ruin in the late 1490s?

Ed Greenwood — 04/14/2023 11:50 PM

Starmantle was resettled. At first as a tent caravan stop, then an inn, "general store" supplies warehouse, and a village quickly grew around them.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2023 :  07:06:20  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On "epic magic" outside of the Weave

Cdawg — 04/13/2023 5:41 AM

Was "epic magic" (i.e., 3e epic spells) magic outside the weave? It seemed to include elven high magic and certain spells that were subject to "Mystra's ban" were reproduced that way. Could a sufficiently talented arcanist have rebuilt the Karsus' Avatar spell as an epic spell and completely evaded oversight? Or was there a force (Ao, for example) who regulated epic magic? You indicated that Corellon Larethian had some say over high magic, which was formulated as epic magic in that edition. Edit: As for a different tack for patreon, if you do one on Netheril, it might be helpful if Ed could go over what exactly happened when Karsus cast his avatar spell. How quickly id Mystra ascend? The Netheril boxed set makes it seem nearly instantly, but from comments over the years, it didn't go quite like that.

Ed Greenwood — 04/15/2023 12:02 AM

No, epic magic is Weave magic.

Elven High Magic is not Weave magic, but has to be carefully cast (precise wording of incantations) to avoid using the Weave as it takes effect. Explanatory metaphor: if a spell effect is the inside of a warehouse, that has a big front door everyone’s supposed to use, that front door is the Weave. Only if given a key to the tiny fire-exit back door that smokers use for smoke breaks, can you get into the warehouse through that back way. The back way is High Magic (specifically formulated), but if you don’t word your High Magic spell properly, it uses the big front door (=the Weave) alongside all the arcane magic being cast by wizards all over the Realms.

NO, there are no sneaky workarounds to bring about alternate Karsus Avatar effects; Ao is watching, and anyone somehow managing it will be caught in the same “forever loop” that Karsus is imprisoned in. Gamers ask that a lot, for some reason. This Is Not Thy Road To Godhood.

Corellon guides and administers High Magic just as Mystra guides and administers arcane magic, but unlike Mystra, Corellon is NOT dedicated to “let everyone have and use magic, and that includes magics harmful to me and likely to others and the system.”

As for exactly what happened when Karsus cast his spell, that’s been covered thrice over in published lore; I’m not sure what more I can or should add.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2023 :  07:08:57  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On gnomes slow at producing children and/or may have fertility issues like the dwarves do

MrRhexx — 04/15/2023 12:37 AM

I have been working on a video about Half-Elves, and so far I have found information on cross-species relations for most of the main core species (humans, elves, and dwarves). You were kind to help me on Twitter about the halflings, in that they seem to be like humans and orcs, who can mate successfully with most other species.

I however have issues finding any information about gnomes in this regard. I remember somewhere seeing that, much like dwarves, they produce more males than females at birth, which I would imagine slows down their reproduction. Though i don't recall if that was Realms canon. I was hoping to get some input from your Mr. Greenwood on whether gnomes are like the dwarves, in that they are quite slow at producing children and/or may have fertility issues like the dwarves do.

Any input would be greatly appreciated #128578;

Ed Greenwood — Today at 2:18 AM

Sure. Gnomes don't have a fertility problem like the dwarves did ere the Thunder Blessing, so the race has problems replacing its battle and old age losses. Gnomes have a cultural tendency: they prefer long, deepening friendships and courtships, then when they do wed, small families so they can devote themselves to their children (so, one or two children). They also have a quiet, keep to themselves, low-public-profile tendency, whether it's when dwelling in human-dominated cities (where they tend to be cellar workers, as masons and delvers and as cargo loaders and unloaders, and kitchen and pantry workers) and when crofting "in the wild" (farms dominated by mushroom and root vegetable caves): in other words, they often get overlooked. So gnomes are quite numerous, just not noticed. They also have "recessive" genes: when a gnome mates with a dwarf, the offspring almost always look like dwarves. When they mate with halflings, the offspring almost always look like halflings. And when gnomes mate with humans, the offspring almost always look like humans. And for "look like" read "can pass for." So gnomes are everywhere, but often go unnoticed.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2023 :  07:12:59  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On creating a new culture/peoples without falling back on real-world cultures

JoeJoeZor — 03/31/2023 8:49 PM

@Ed Greenwood have really been loving getting engrossed in the lore of the realms, much appreciated! I have noted a few times in the vids you have commented about not wanting to create reskinned cultures based on our real-world, how do you go about creating a new culture/peoples without falling back on real-world cultures?

Ed Greenwood — 04/16/2023 9:55 AM

You come at it from the other direction: what do we know about the beings from their game writeups, and given those things, how would they fit into the local ecology (in the Realms); life cycles, footprint on the land/in the sea/in the Underdark. And how would they live (agriculture, hunting, gathering, some combo, trade with others or no, etc.).

Once these are decided, what would their aims and world-views be, what would they strive for in life? From that flows their art, their myths, their philosophies and faiths.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2023 :  01:21:39  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On what rewards can Purple Dragons expect at retirement

JoeChang — 04/13/2023 9:58 AM

Thanks for the incredible Patreon content, Ed. Regarding Purple Dragons: for those who choose to stay on after the initial two years of service, what rewards can they expect at retirement? And on the other side of the coin, what happens if they are forced out (not executed).

Ed Greenwood — 04/16/2023 9:57 AM

Purple Dragons who serve for 12 years or more (cumulative) get healings/cure diseases (and enforced tests and cures for lycanthropy) and restorations (missing limbs replaced) upon becoming “grayswords” (retiring). They retain the right to own and bear arms without peace-strings and without charters, and can choose between land grants (almost all in two places: along the Cormyr/Sembian border near the coast, and in the west of the Realm, along/near The High Road facing Tunland; regions the Crown wants settled and held more strongly) and a “glint” or “pepper” pension of 2 gp/month, or no land grant and a pension of 6 gp/month.

A ”dismissed”/dishonourable discharged Purple Dragon departs in disgrace: exile or just loss of all status and no pension or recognition (this is usually in cases of “we know you did bad but we either can’t prove it or the circumstances were such that we’re not going to punish you further”).

If a Purple Dragon is deemed unfit for discipline (but otherwise patriotic or a good fighter), or just deemed surplus, the discharge is “honourable,” and nets a discharge payout of 10 gp and no loss of status (i.e. service counts towards a pension if they join up again in future and so accumulate the 12 years).

And the Crown can in exceptional circumstances (a Purple Dragon suffering what we would call PTSD, and so no longer fit or reliable for service, or who just sickens of their duties after performing meritorious feats) award a graysword pension for someone retiring “early.”
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2023 :  01:30:39  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On harmless sort of fungi from Volo's Guide to BG2

Juniper Churlgo — 04/16/2023 12:50 PM

"One harmless sort of fungi mimics the appear- ance of the heads of any humans and half-humans il absorbs after they die of other causes. Any trav- eler who suddenly gazes into the sightless eyes of a head made out of cheeselike greenish-white fungus has reached Mylharan soil, and would do well to turn back." from Volo's BG2. Ed, is there a name for this lovely thing?

Ed Greenwood — 04/16/2023 10:16 PM

Forlorn heads. Good eating, goblins will tell you. "Moldy mush" according to Elminster, who described them as "like bad, moldy Gouda in taste and consistency.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2023 :  01:34:24  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On rules or guidelines on personal relationships for War Wizards

Sheepy — 04/17/2023 11:17 AM

One of the earlier questions made me think of this, and I couldn't find anything relevant in my notes from your past commentaries here and elsewhere... Were there rules or guidelines on personal relationships for War Wizards? Was there any scrutiny of such relationships?

Ed Greenwood — 04/17/2023 9:42 PM

There are no official rules, but there is scrutiny, for everyone. Knowing if a Wizard of War is romantically or through investments involved with someone who might be seen as an enemy of the state is crucial to Cormyr's security. It's not that you CAN'T be involved (many such relationships are actually encouraged), it's the not telling your coworkers and superiors.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2023 :  01:42:36  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On something fun / interesting / unique about Aglarondan Yuirwood half-elves culture

MrRhexx — 04/17/2023 10:46 PM

Hey Ed! When it comes to Half-Elven culture, perhaps specifically as it relates to Aglarondan Yuirwood half-elves since that seems to be the most concentrated half-elven population.

Would there be something fun / interesting / unique about their culture you would want people to know? I am close to finishing my video on Half-Elves which likely will be seen by 100,000 - 150,000 people. Something in particular that may not appear on the Forgotten Realms campaign setting for 3rd edition, which appears to have the most info on Aglarond, as I have already scoured much of what the book has to offer (the fact that the half-elves appear to be the creators of Blood Wine is quite interesting!). People are currently very interested about Half-Elven information in general.

Ed Greenwood — 04/17/2023 11:12 PM

Sure! As half-elves spend more and more time (live out their years) in the Yuirwood, they gain more and more affinity with the living trees of that forest, and slowly acquire a natural ability to pass plant (like the druid spell), at first only between trees of the same species within 20 feet of each other, then gaining 6 feet more of range as their years of dwelling pass (note that a half-elf who leaves the Yuirwood doesn't lose this ability, it just "freezes" at the current stage of development until they return). The rate of "range gain" varies with each half-elf and specifically the amount of time they spend in close contact with trees, and is specific to the Yuirwood (the peninsula that contains Aglarond), not to trees in the rest of the world, though these same half-elves do increase their affinity, and so by touch can be absolutely certain of the species of any tree, its health, whether or not it has cavities or foreign matter (i.e. a sword) anywhere within it, whether or not it has a resident dryad or other sentient symbiotic being, and so on. Half-elves rarely talk of this ability with non-half-elves, as it's just part of "being themselves."
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2023 :  01:45:33  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On what are the most common illicit goods and substances that are smuggled in and out of Waterdeep via Skullport

Doc Webb — 04/18/2023 6:55 AM

@Ed Greenwood Really focused on Skullport recently, and I’m wondering, other than slaves, what are the most common illicit goods and substances that are smuggled in and out of Waterdeep via its sunken harbor? Also, other than the faceless cleric of Lolth (I assume?) you mentioned in your recent video, what other faiths are common among the healers of Skullport? Thanks so much for any insight you might care to share! #128578;

Ed Greenwood — 04/19/2023 9:37 AM

A “public” (free to see, for all) Patreon post is coming, on Skullport topics, that will answer all of your queries, but the quick answer is the most common are drugs, poisons, and bulk weapons, the most common after that are whatever’s in short supply at the moment, and these categories are followed by anything high priced due to guild control (so a smuggler can undercut and still make profit), and stolen goods.

As for healers resident in Skullport, there’s a well-known (human male) priest of Lathander hight Aerso Rhaundlyn, a (half-elf female) cleric of the Red Knight named Halansra Embrurr, and a (dwarf female) priest of Waukeen known as Avanthra Shreenshield.

Doc Webb — 04/10/2023 2:02 AM

@Ed Greenwood First, thanks so much for the deep dive into Skullport! Your description of the healers there has me wondering — what are the most common gods followed by the healers of Skullport, and, more specifically, which gods’ clerics are employed by the Xanathar (assuming it offers “health care” at all). Thanks so much for your time and generosity!

Ed Greenwood — 04/19/2023 9:38 AM

My pleasure! So, in my reply to your related question, you can see that the most prominent healers-for-hire in Skullport of “right now” are Lathander, Red Knight, and Waukeen. However, in all three cases, clients to be healed don’t have to venerate the god of the healer above all others.

As for the followers of Xanathar, they usually seek out the Skullport-resident Aunk Trorn, a cultist of Xurth, the Healing Beholder.

I’ll provide more details about all of this in a forthcoming free public Patreon post on Skullport.

Sheepy — 04/19/2023 10:00 AM

@Ed Greenwood Will Xurth, the Healing Beholder be addressed in that future Patreon post? This is the thing has got my attention and now has me pondering

Ed Greenwood — 04/19/2023 10:00 AM

Of course. ;}

Ed Greenwood — 04/20/2023 9:08 AM

Yes! Already sent into the hopper.

Edited by - questing gm on 17 Dec 2023 01:50:11
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2023 :  01:52:22  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On who and where would Ed's cameo anywhere in the movie want to be

Gabrielle H — 04/20/2023 1:47 AM

@Ed Greenwood Now that you've seen the new movie a few times, just a fun question: if you could add yourself into a cameo anywhere in the film, who and where would you want to be? (With vagueness if necessary for the good folk who haven't seen it yet.)

Ed Greenwood — 04/20/2023 8:40 AM

Heh. There are some guys who are asked questions. I could have chewed the scenery as one of those. ;} And there was someone who sat bolt upright at the end; I could have been him. ;}
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2023 :  01:54:22  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Alamanther of Aglarond spells that never saw print

Juniper Churlgo — 04/23/2023 1:25 PM

did Alamanther of Aglarond ever have any other spells that never saw print, apart from "Alamanther's return"? It sounds like Simbul would have some of his work preserved

Ed Greenwood — 04/24/2023 1:09 AM

Yes. ;}
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2023 :  01:57:15  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Volo's Guide to Ormpur

Marco Volo — 04/24/2023 2:23 PM

Hi @Ed Greenwood ! I'm really looking forward to your Volo's Guide to Ormpur to start a Shaar campaign. Have you any news about it and why it is delayed? Thanks #129303;

Ed Greenwood — 04/24/2023 11:57 PM

My writing is done, but my partners are doing the harder work of editing, layout, buying new art, and printing...around and behind their "day jobs," so it will take as long as it takes. Sorry!
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2023 :  02:02:54  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On what "shimmerweave" fabric is

rweston_DnD — 05/01/2023 7:00 AM

Hi @Ed Greenwood - could you tell us, please, what "shimmerweave" fabric is? Is it a style of weaving, a special material, a realmsian term for "satin". It is mentioned in almost all your novels, but I cannot find a definition.

Thanks again!

Ed Greenwood — 05/02/2023 12:08 AM

Shimmerweave is a fabric that has the same high-shine “sheen” as glossy (“satin weave”) silk or nylon, hence its name (when candlelight reflects off it, the result is a “shimmer”). It’s not magical, but the result of oiling flax in the right manner early in the making, and then a double dyeing in the finishing. It’s more waterproof and more flammable, and less wrinkle-prone than cotton, but about the same weight. It has, yes, a satin texture, is always opaque, and almost all shimmerweave is of a dark hue (thanks to the two dyes).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2023 :  02:09:44  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On freely walking along Royal Ride street in Suzail

JoeChang — 04/29/2023 11:39 AM

@Ed Greenwood If I were a visitor to Suzail, would I be allowed to freely walk along Royal Ride street and admire Castle Obarskyr and the surrounding mansions?

Ed Greenwood — 05/02/2023 12:09 AM

Yes, of course; it’s a public street. There are frequent Purple Dragon foot patrols, who might well question you if you were carrying a ladder, rope with grapnel, a polearm, were bristling with weapons, or doing something else suspicious—or if you throw anything to the south of you during your walk. Otherwise, you would be one of many who stroll the Ride to admire the Gardens as they talk.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2023 :  06:54:44  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Sebbarr (Sebburr?), the settlement south of the Rathgaunt Hills

Marco Volo — 04/29/2023 2:01 AM

Hi @Ed Greenwood! What can you tell us about Sebbarr (Sebburr?), the settlement south of the Rathgaunt Hills that can be seen on one of the Forgotten Realms Atlas map? I can't find any reference about it.

Ed Greenwood — 05/02/2023 12:09 AM

The town is Sebben, a waystop on the trade-road that grew up around a spring and the pond the spring filled. Named for a local farmer who built the first inn there, Sebben remains the market town for the surrounding sheep and goat ranches and mixed-crop farms, and is home to an important horsebreeding (and of course selling) business run by the Felfeather family, who tend to be short, hardy folk due to many human-hin marriages in the family bloodlines. If your campaign is set in the late 1490s DR, the Felfeather matriarch is Aubra, a grandmother whose two grown sons, Lesker and Mrivrin, run the horse ranch.

At this same time, the inn is the sprawling The Restful Knights (named for a local tale of knights from the Border Kingdoms who were enspelled into magical slumber here by a witch they were hunting, long ago), proprietress the brisk semi-retired fighter Vaumaerra Hornhar.

There are two taverns, the rough, rustic, and cheap Drover’s Bucket (run by a large and cheerfully energetic halfling family, the Belmeres), at the west end of town, and the quieter, serves-decent-food and has quiet alcoves for business dealings Sunfire House at the east end.

There’s a single-spired temple to Chauntea, The House of the Full Bowl, in the center of town (on the south side of The Way, or main trade road, facing the inn and its pond that lie to the north).

A growing wagonworks (which of course does repairs and sells axles and wheels without a new wagon attached) stretches beyond the inn, with extensive storage yards. This is Rauvorl’s Carriageworks, established and run by the spike-bearded, whimsical ladies’ man Barendren Rauvorl (of whom it’s said “He’s fathered more daughters than all other Sebren men combined,” and this may well be true).

Sebben is pastoral and pleasant, tolerant and interested in doings in the wider world thanks to the constant stream of caravans passing through. (Part 2 follows)

It’s named for its founder, Otrur Sebben, a Calishite who first farmed in the area and put the road through the then goblin-haunted Rathgaunt Hills to link his holdings to Shaarmid. There are recurring local plans to pave a proper road linking Sebben with the Kormul-Rethmar road through Reth Gap, but thus far this remains an “every wagon for itself” grasslands strip much in use by the hardiest wagons, and by pack-trains and drovers.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2023 :  06:58:02  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On accents for different people groups

Genghis Sean — 04/29/2023 2:16 AM

@Ed Greenwood When you DM in the realms, what accents do you give different people groups? I’ve been giving Thayans Turkish/Russian accents and Sword Coast Halflings American southern accents. Curious how you imagine them.

Ed Greenwood — 05/02/2023 12:15 AM

I try to avoid all direct real-world analogues, but a low-pitch, fast-delivery with abrupt, clipped word endings (can sound curt to strangers) is Thayan to me, and a Turkish or Georgian (the Russian Georgia) accent might work. I have a hard time equating a southern drawl (and the verbal “sitting on vowels” twang) with any halfling, but soft, swift lilting southern tones might work; mine tend to sound more like Lancashire, England than the American South.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2023 :  07:08:15  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On what control does the Crown have over gem mining and processing in Cormyr

JoeChang — 04/26/2023 4:01 PM

Hi @Ed Greenwood in Cormyr what control does the Crown have over gem mining and processing (outside of the Crystal Grot). I ask this because there's a mention of gem smuggling in Volo's guide, as well as in the somewhat obscure 2nd edition Players Guide to the Forgotten Realms. In that book the Purple Dragons were on the lookout for uncut gems, on the assumption these would have been stolen from royal gem mines near the High Horn.

Ed Greenwood — 05/02/2023 12:22 AM

The Crown has no formal control, but it does own many mines (if you haven’t purchased the land, it’s Crown land, there’s no “staking a claim” or “mineral rights separate from land ownership” as there are in some places in our real world). What the Crown does do is post inspectors at the premises of all formal gemcutting businesses to watch for stolen gems, or gems upon which tax has not been paid (that’s where the smuggling comes in). And this smuggling will always happen, because many folk cut and polish individual stones they find, or recut and polish distinctive stolen ones to make them unrecognizable (and any gemcutter who has existing jewelry brought in for remounting and refreshing will have a Crown inspector at his or her shoulder in a trice, peering hard and asking questions).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2023 :  07:12:08  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On local favorite beverage in Neverwinter

Doc Webb — 05/02/2023 12:29 AM

@Ed Greenwood Thanks as always for your generous sharing of lore! Is there a local favorite beverage in Neverwinter, roughly equivalent to Waterdhavians’ beloved zzar? We make a sherry-and-amaretto cocktail to stand in for zzar at our table that has become beloved, but the crew is in Neverwinter at the moment and I’d love to make a local drink. Please no scurrd— I love my players too much to aproxímate that one. #128521; Thanks!!

Ed Greenwood — 05/02/2023 12:36 AM

In recent decades, a gently-warmed apple brandy called Lalarth (“LAH-ll-larth”) has been gaining popularity in Neverwinter. Think of applejack, but not as sweet (the apples used are the small, green, sour wild apples that grow in the countryside south of Neverwinter Wood). This is the same drink known for years as “Llast syrup” after Port Llast, where it’s also enjoyed.

If you can get French apple brandy, it’s close. Add a pinch of powdered cinammon, then gently warm in a saucepan (at very low heat; you’re just trying to give it warmth, NOT cook it). Stir the cinammon in. In real hot weather, serve the warmed drink over ice (“on the rocks”).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2023 :  07:29:06  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On new businesses and venues that may have popped up while rebuilding Neverwinter

JacobJ — 05/02/2023 7:29 AM

@Ed Greenwood No question, just hope you get a chance to detail more of the new businesses and venues that may have popped up while rebuilding Neverwinter!

Ed Greenwood — Yesterday at 10:05 AM

That's on my long, long "to do" list. ;}
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000