Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Arcane Brotherhood member, deceased.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  14:57:47  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

My players recently encountered an Arcane Brotherhood guy who was taking over a little duchy south of the Everwood, (This duchy I made up before anyone says that they know of no duchies south of the Everwood) as a result of chasing him down to this duke's underkeep he wound up dead. He was also a closet Orcus cultist.

Which group would you think would seek retribution first?

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  15:44:34  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it depends really, on what part of the hierarchy of both power groups that this Arcane Brotherhood/Orcus Cultist occupied. I mean was he a high up man in any of these organisations? In which group did he have more power? It's unlikely that either organisation (escpecially the Arcane Brotherhood) would stick their collective necks out for just any old member. On the other hand, the Orcus Cultists are chaotic, and have only become more erratic since their Demon Lord's return. They may be willing to strike out at those responsible regardless of the position the Cultist held within the Cult.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  15:57:52  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I apologize. He is...or was, a henchman for Valindra Shadowmantle. Background DM info only, no one in the AB knew or cared that he was a cultist. The cult knew that he was of the AB and saw it as an opportunity to get their "foot in the door" opening other avenues of wreaking mayhem.

This now deceased member of the Brotherhood was in charge of taking over this Keep D'Armtiste near the Evermoors. The current Duke is weak and an easy mark. That is until my players show up of course. We left off with this evil wizard dead, and the players heading up to have a serious conversation with the duke.
Go to Top of Page

Urlithani
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  18:07:07  Show Profile  Visit Urlithani's Homepage Send Urlithani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since both are generally evil and self-serving(well I don't know about Orcus much), both agencies might even be glad the bloody fool went off and got himself killed by some adventurers. That makes room for promotions and all that.

But if he was a way into the AB for the Orcus cult, then I would bet Orcus agents would strike first. AB probably wouldn't do anything; everytime someone dies, it's just a promotion for the one under them.

Perhaps the Orcus agents would like to retrieve some of his items, or find further knowledge about what he knew...ahh, they just wanna kill the PC's and get the guy's stuff back, hopefully able to use it to disguise another Orcus member as the deceased and return to the Hosttower.

...or they could investigate the PC's, and send an anonymous tip to the hosttower about who killed one of their members, and make up a reason that would make the AB come after the PC's to boot(You know, something like, "Yeah he was about to find this magical artifact, and he was right there and POW! these goody-two shoes came in, slew him and took it for themselves. This is what they look like, and they still have it in their possession.")!

I'm a clown! Honk my nose!

(sorry...caffeine) :)

Biggest. Selûne. Fanboy. Ever! :)
"The only reward of Virtue is Virtue." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
"The time is always right to do what is right. "
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: