Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Faerūnian Anthems
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  16:21:20  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the United States, and I'm sure in almost every other country, we have a national anthem. The point is, would a kingdom such as Cormyr have a personal song/anthem?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  16:23:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Greenwood has one for every major country and city-state. TSR (and the WotC) probably didn't want them, since before the Internet there would have been no way to show players what they were without sending out scores.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  16:43:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Wizards wouldn't go for it unless it was directly tied in to a prestige class...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  17:28:58  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "National Singer": the prestige class for those who wish to sing the national anthem at the start of every mage faire.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  17:31:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yeah, Wizards wouldn't go for it unless it was directly tied in to a prestige class...

LOL! I can see the next product is going to have the Waterdeep Band Leader Prestige Class that has the feat "Peform Anthem."
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  19:06:03  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The Cormyte's Boast" (Volo's Guide to Cormyr p. 165) is a good candidate, depending on how the king likes it, not as a modern national anthem (Faerūn doesn't have the large orchestras) but in the tradition of semi-official patriotic songs. (Similarly, "Waltzing Matilda" would have been the Australian national anthem if the decision-makers were less stuck-up.)

Edited by - Faraer on 12 Apr 2004 19:06:34
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  20:32:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's okay. At least Australia doesn't have an anthem whose music is from an English drinking song.

America the Beautiful would have been so much better. Not to mention more appropriate.

At any rate, it sounds a bit odd, since the UK is now our closest ally, to have an anthem about how a British attack on the US failed.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  20:39:41  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm
America the Beautiful would have been so much better. Not to mention more appropriate.

I like the story behind our anthem and never have been a fan of America the Beautiful

quote:

At any rate, it sounds a bit odd, since the UK is now our closest ally, to have an anthem about how a British attack on the US failed.

It's very American to be friends with someone right after you've kicked them in the ...

What was that line from Bush's state of the Union speech? "The U.S. has no greater friend than England."

Anyway, back on topic, no cries for We Will Rock You as a fitting anthem for one of the FR nations? It was good enough for a medieval movie after all.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6651 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  16:17:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Faraer

"Waltzing Matilda" is a song about a sheep stealer who drowns himself rather than get caught by the police. Now whilst some have said that this song stands for everything Australian, I've always begged to differ given the above.

I've actually been doing a list of the extant FR songs mentioned in the sources out there (as well as poems, plays, et. al.) I've also recently revamped Steven Schend's "Candlekeep Book Tables". Hmm, might offer them to Alaundo for the website ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  17:09:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I've actually been doing a list of the extant FR songs mentioned in the sources out there (as well as poems, plays, et. al.) I've also recently revamped Steven Schend's "Candlekeep Book Tables". Hmm, might offer them to Alaundo for the website ...

-- George Krashos

Now that I want to see! I still have the original "Candlekeep Collection" article parked on my HD.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  18:03:31  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

Now that I want to see! I still have the original "Candlekeep Collection" article parked on my HD.

::Jumps up and down while shouting, "Me to! Me to!"::

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 13 Apr 2004 18:04:16
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  19:01:55  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I hate to be rude, I fail to see what this has to do with my original question.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  20:23:42  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Now whilst some have said that this song stands for everything Australian, I've always begged to differ given the above.
I couldn't possibly comment.

Oh dear, "Waltzing Matilda" wouldn't have made it past the TSR Code of Ethics (which forbade portraying law-enforcement officials in a negative light)...

Edited by - Faraer on 13 Apr 2004 20:53:57
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  03:04:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Faraer

"Waltzing Matilda" is a song about a sheep stealer who drowns himself rather than get caught by the police. Now whilst some have said that this song stands for everything Australian, I've always begged to differ given the above.

I'm glad you've said that George. I've always felt much the same way that you do. The theme of the ballad, and the undertones it suggests, while portraying a uniquely Australian flavor, is simply inappropriate to represent a nation, and the pride of it's people. The opinions over Australia's national anthem have always been a point of frustation with me, it's almost as annoying (and pointless) as the discussion about Australia becoming a republic...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  03:58:43  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And just what's wrong with a republic, Sage?

::The Bookwyrm pauses, as he hears the sound of the radio in the other room, as "reporters" who are merely out for a story continue bashing the US president for what was, in this dragon's view, a rather well-done press conference.::

Um, no, I wasn't calling the US a shining example . . . .

Now, while I work on my gag idiot reporter spell, I believe that Shadowlord expressed concerns over the straying nature of this topic?

What songs do you think should belong to particular nations and city-states? I think that Waterdeep and Silverymoon might have an anthem, so what do you think they should be about?

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  06:48:21  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silverymoon, actually the anthem would prolly be for the Silver Marches as a whole. But anyway I think their anthem should be about ALL races living and working together for a common goal and persevering in the face of adversity and of course hanging on to your home even when surrounded by a horde of orcs...

You might not think this at first but I believe that dwarven citadels would be the next most likely to have anthems. Of course most of them would be about fighting and drinking but still anthems nonetheless.

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  06:52:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not as sure about Waterdeep having an anthem as I am about the Silver Marches having some form of national song. It would likely serve to further unify the new realm, but also at the same time, capitalise on the essence of area's history.

I think what would be interesting to consider, is whether or not the Black Network have some form of tract (whether religious or political) which the ruling bodies use to instill pride in the Network's members...

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  06:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(On-topic section of post)

I'd disagree on the Silveraen anthem applying to all parts of the Marches, especially the dwarven cities. The Marches is still having something resembling an identity crisis, after all. I can also see most of the city-states along the Sword Coast having one, with the possible exception of Waterdeep, where it could be used as the focal point for a noble feud or two.

(Off-topic section of post)

It's interesting that the comedy troupe the Arrogant Worms has a better version of our national anthem with "We are the Beaver" over "O Canada"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  07:13:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I think what would be interesting to consider, is whether or not the Black Network have some form of tract (whether religious or political) which the ruling bodies use to instill pride in the Network's members...

How about Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  07:16:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...that's an interesting line of thinking...

Would multi-racial realms have one singular anthem? While I agree that the dwarven cities of the Silver Marches would be less likely to raise their own voices in a national Silver Marches anthem, how would some of the other races inhabiting the region look upon something like this?.

Considering the halfling's perspective on humanity, they would probably associate themselves with the humans, and sing along. But what do cultures that have significantly longer lifespans and/or histories think of this essentially human-trait?.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  07:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm...that's an interesting line of thinking...

Would multi-racial realms have one singular anthem? While I agree that the dwarven cities of the Silver Marches would be less likely to raise their own voices in a national Silver Marches anthem, how would some of the other races inhabiting the region look upon something like this?.

Considering the halfling's perspective on humanity, they would probably associate themselves with the humans, and sing along. But what do cultures that have significantly longer lifespans and/or histories think of this essentially human-trait?.

If they can get along well enough, I wouldn't see any problem for such, yes. The Marches is marred by what is (essentially) a rivalry between Harbromm and Alustriel, but a more unified region, could, yes.

Now, onto the topic of racial anthems. As Wood Elf Ranger suggested, dwarves are quite likely to have such an anthem, ranging from a battle chant to a ceremonial piece. Elves aren't likely in my eyes to have a unified anthem, they're more likely to take the opportunity to create a new piece of music. *gets an idea of a shelf of song scrolls-Elvish King XI, Elvish King XII...* I'm not sure about gnomes, and orcs likely just have battle grunt series.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  07:48:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wooly, I like your suggestion, but although I understand the phrasing of the words, I'm unfamiliar with the context it is taken from. Perhaps some explanation is in order?. Is it from a book?.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  07:57:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

I'm not sure about gnomes, and orcs likely just have battle grunt series.

Well, when you consider the typical gnomish personae, and their almost unnatural attention to many technical and/or societal aspects, a series of litanies, whether repetitive or incantatory (maybe peppered with a few technical phrasings) would most likely be their focus. One thing we can be sure of though, is that it will be a long and tedious address.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  08:10:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Wooly, I like your suggestion, but although I understand the phrasing of the words, I'm unfamiliar with the context it is taken from. Perhaps some explanation is in order?. Is it from a book?.

No context. It just seemed that given some of the activities of the Black Network and its members, that this song would be an appropriate anthem for them.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  08:19:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, so it's a song. Contemporary music then, I assume.

It's no wonder then why I haven't heard it...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  08:26:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, so it's a song. Contemporary music then, I assume.

It's no wonder then why I haven't heard it...

Are you serious? 'Tis a classic AC/DC tune, dating back to at least the 80's, if not earlier...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  08:35:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am...

I've only ever listened to classical and/or baroque music. Even when I was young, this was the only type of music my parents would listen to.... It's the only style of music that I've been raised on, and, I like to think that if I hadn't have become a programmer, I most likely would have gone into the musical discipline, majoring in Classical studies and styles.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  09:14:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, I am...

I've only ever listened to classical and/or baroque music. Even when I was young, this was the only type of music my parents would listen to.... It's the only style of music that I've been raised on, and, I like to think that if I hadn't have become a programmer, I most likely would have gone into the musical discipline, majoring in Classical studies and styles.

Wow... I was raised listening to "oldies" -- stuff from the 60's and 70's. But then one day I got bored, and spun the dial on my radio... Now my tastes in music range so far afield that most people can't deal with them!

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  17:08:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I never heard of it either, and I'm younger than Sage.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  18:48:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes, I am...

Wow... I was raised listening to "oldies" -- stuff from the 60's and 70's. But then one day I got bored, and spun the dial on my radio... Now my tastes in music range so far afield that most people can't deal with them!

Just to make you feel better Wooly AC/DC is one of my wide range of music tastes that I enjoy. :) So yes I have heard of it.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 14 Apr 2004 18:49:03
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  10:27:54  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Must...resist...commenting...on...this...thread...
um...Ill get back to ya'll when I'm a little more sober...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000