Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Entemoch
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2022 :  04:23:59  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do we know anything else about this supposed archomental? A good twin brother to Ogremoch, he apparently appeared in Siege of Darkness and there was, I believe, a location near Blingdenstone named Entemoch's Boon.

Here's the wiki info on him.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Entemoch

As a Planescape fan, this doesn't match up much with the established lore that Sunnis is THE archomental of good earth, but there's no reason why there can't be two.

Any other information on him or any speculation?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2022 :  05:54:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Siege of Darkness is a novel, not a sourcebook. When novels and sourcebooks offer conflicting Realmslore there isn't any real consensus about which is valid and which is not.

And it's 3.5E - which essentially means it handwaves and ignores inconvenient details from 2E planeslore anyhow.

Putting aside possible errors from the author (and editors/etc) who are not intimately familiar with Planescape, we can still consider the perspectives, knowledge, and reliability of the narrators. Along with the reliability of their own sources.

Entemoch and Sunnis might be different names for the same entity. Or for different aspects of the same entity. Or one may have replaced the other. To me it seems implausible that one (only one) archomental always existed before yet now suddenly two (or more?) archomentals exist - but nothing is impossible in planeslore.

I'm also a Planescape fan - my preferred setting above all others. But I find it harder to reconcile Planescape lore with each subsequent edition which touches the planes. I don't personally consider novels as reliable sources of lore when things conflict, especially not when the authors are known primarily for expertise in other areas within the D&D genre. I haven't read the novel.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2022 :  18:15:23  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Siege of Darkness is a novel, not a sourcebook. When novels and sourcebooks offer conflicting Realmslore there isn't any real consensus about which is valid and which is not.

And it's 3.5E - which essentially means it handwaves and ignores inconvenient details from 2E planeslore anyhow.

Putting aside possible errors from the author (and editors/etc) who are not intimately familiar with Planescape, we can still consider the perspectives, knowledge, and reliability of the narrators. Along with the reliability of their own sources.

Entemoch and Sunnis might be different names for the same entity. Or for different aspects of the same entity. Or one may have replaced the other. To me it seems implausible that one (only one) archomental always existed before yet now suddenly two (or more?) archomentals exist - but nothing is impossible in planeslore.

I'm also a Planescape fan - my preferred setting above all others. But I find it harder to reconcile Planescape lore with each subsequent edition which touches the planes. I don't personally consider novels as reliable sources of lore when things conflict, especially not when the authors are known primarily for expertise in other areas within the D&D genre. I haven't read the novel.

Siege of Darkness was published first I believe. (1995 vs. 1998 for Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix III.)

I would say "Entemoch" is the Realmsian name for Sunnis.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2022 :  01:40:57  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Entemoch is a Prince of Earth.

Sunnis is a Princess of Earth.

Seems like they might be different beings.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000