Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Death Rock
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2022 :  03:16:02  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is not a post about music!

There’s an artifact in the 2e supplement the Book of Artifacts. It’s backstory is somewhat interesting despite the not-so-creative name and I’m wondering if it’s appeared anywhere else? Most sources point out that it’s a FR artifact.

Apparently a “far-distant eastern cult that worshiped a great salamander of the river” was terrorizing local folks with foul rituals. One peasant woman who had lost her sons to the cult took up the sword and was visited for “five nights by the five judges of men” to bring her some inspiration. She killed the fiend and cut out its heart which became this rock.

I’m getting some ancient god vibes here like a Borem or Tyranthraxus with the lizard. Or maybe even an unknown lesser avatar of a Sarrukh deity?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2022 :  09:45:18  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure I've seen somewhere that the Death Rock was categorised as a Kara Tur artefact.

I however can see no link to it being Kara Tur other than it being located in the east.

After reading AlQadim stuff lately I'm certain it should be associated with zakhara. The ruined kingdoms has weird animal river god worship where Nog used to be and an evil necromancer cult that took hold in the region.

Of course nothing to stop you associating it with Faerun.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2022 :  14:14:18  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Far eastern could be relative. Wasn't there some fire god involved with Thay? If it was far enough back, that could be a "far eastern cult" if it happened before the "discovery" of Kara Tur.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2022 :  23:21:02  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like these theories. I’m curious if there is anything else at all about it in published writing. I wonder if this is something Ed would answer. Because I can seriously find nothing else but what was written in the Book of Artifacts.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2022 :  00:09:59  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I like these theories. I’m curious if there is anything else at all about it in published writing. I wonder if this is something Ed would answer. Because I can seriously find nothing else but what was written in the Book of Artifacts.

The death rock is currently in a vault at the Darkhold (pg 58 with 5e stats on pg 74) per Darkhold: Secrets of the Zhentarim.

It is also on pg 95 of VGtATM. It is there that it is said to be from Kara Tur.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 21 Apr 2022 02:09:34
Go to Top of Page

Stones Finder
Acolyte

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2022 :  00:27:08  Show Profile Send Stones Finder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are at least two versions of the Death Rock in the Encyclopedia Magica, one of which is sourced to the Kara-Tur boxed set.

Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it - Advice for the 5e design team
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000