Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Any interest in a group chat?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DeBasilisk
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2022 :  14:25:47  Show Profile Send DeBasilisk a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just feeling the waters: would anyone be interested in joining a group chat to shoot the breeze about the realms? There is a somewhat new app called Clubhouse which is essentially jump-in voice chat rooms. I created a Forgotten Realms Fan Club room and would love to chat with some fellow FR enthusiasts!

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2022 :  14:33:50  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voice?

*sharp intake of breath*

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2022 :  15:51:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will pass.

Too much like talking on the phone, which I am quite reluctant to do under normal circumstances. It oft bugs my wife when she wants me to call someone -- like my parents -- and I'm exceedingly non-enthusiastic about it.

(Ironically, my job requires frequent phone calls... And I do quite well, there, but given the opportunity, I avoid the phone as much as possible. Luckily, my responsibilities give me some leeway, there.)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2022 :  02:32:13  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I will pass.

Too much like talking on the phone, which I am quite reluctant to do under normal circumstances.

Did you switch to a primarily text-message based form of communication once it became feasible? If so, do people now lament your lack of actual phone calling?

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2022 :  02:48:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

quote:

I will pass.

Too much like talking on the phone, which I am quite reluctant to do under normal circumstances.

Did you switch to a primarily text-message based form of communication once it became feasible? If so, do people now lament your lack of actual phone calling?

Texting works for me.

I do get the occasional complaint from my parents... But my wife is socialable enough that she makes up for it. She's a people person, and people are the reason I'm not a people person!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

prototype00
Acolyte

48 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2022 :  02:50:45  Show Profile  Visit prototype00's Homepage Send prototype00 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somewhat related perhaps, but does this Forum have a Discord?
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2022 :  03:27:36  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a Forgotten Realms Discord, which is mainly a text chat platform but it does has a voice chat channel for those who want to use that function. I've recognized names from Candlekeep there as well as from other FR spaces. There's also a channel there for FR Wiki information, where questions about editing can be asked and the FR Wiki mods are there to answer.

https://discord.gg/NUdbqkG
Go to Top of Page

prototype00
Acolyte

48 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2022 :  04:07:23  Show Profile  Visit prototype00's Homepage Send prototype00 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

There's a Forgotten Realms Discord, which is mainly a text chat platform but it does has a voice chat channel for those who want to use that function. I've recognized names from Candlekeep there as well as from other FR spaces. There's also a channel there for FR Wiki information, where questions about editing can be asked and the FR Wiki mods are there to answer.

https://discord.gg/NUdbqkG

Ah, neato. I’ll probably add that to my Discord list. Thanks so much.

Edited by - prototype00 on 27 Jan 2022 04:07:53
Go to Top of Page

DeBasilisk
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2022 :  18:04:55  Show Profile Send DeBasilisk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reference to the Discord! If you see me there shoot me a line. I’ll change my nickname to the same Inhave here.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2022 :  01:51:26  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Azar

quote:

I will pass.

Texting works for me.

I do get the occasional complaint from my parents... But my wife is socialable enough that she makes up for it. She's a people person, and people are the reason I'm not a people person!

My opinion on this technological advancement has zig-zagged a fair amount. While, yes, it was initially nice being able to send someone a text-based message that effectively bypassed a two to five minute phone call (a call that should have lasted thirty seconds, tops), I eventually became bothered by the degree to which people rely on that method to avoid conversations that do benefit from a more personal touch. Also, for a time, I was slightly irritated with folks that wanted to conduct business - actual commerce - solely via text; I would have to explain to them that I didn't feel comfortable making (local) deals without hearing someone's voice.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000