Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 It took me almost 20 years
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erikor
Seeker

Norway
60 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2021 :  04:57:41  Show Profile Send Erikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have no idea if this is the right place to post this. If not I hope some admin can move it to the right place.

I became a member of this site just a few hours ago. I've never played d&d. I've always wanted to but no one I knew were interested. But I did play Baldur's Gate and Shadows of Amn, Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights while in school. And because people knew that, I was considered a loser. The "cool" kids in school made me throw my BG discs on the ground and step on them and grind them against the gravel. All five original BG discs. Otherwise the "cool kids", kids that I grew up with wouldn't let me join them in their games. I was maybe 13 or 14 at the time and that stuck with me. I bought another copy of the game that they didn't know about just so I could play BG without them knowing. I'm 34 now and I've been playing the games again for the last couple of years and I've been reading a lot of the Forgotten Realms books and I love them but apart from my soon-to-be wife I'm still scared to tell anyone. I've known about this site for years but I've been afraid to join in case someone started to make fun of me for joining even though I know that the friends I have now wouldn't care and if anything they would support me but that's how much of an impact the childhood stuff made on me. I don't really know what I'm trying to say but it feels good to finally be able to create an account here. Hopefully I'll be able to read and talk about things here that I haven't been able to before.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2021 :  06:06:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a longer post here, but my internet crashed whilst I was trying to post it, and it got eaten...

Short version: Unless Norway is way different from the US, fantasy in general and gaming in particular have become considerably more popular and accepted. It's s different world now, and I think you'll find that most people wouldn't even care if they knew you were a gamer.

Either way, you are welcome in our halls!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erikor
Seeker

Norway
60 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2021 :  07:35:48  Show Profile Send Erikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Norway is a bit different from the US when it comes to fantasy, I think. It's not as accepted here as it appears to be in many places the US. We're not quite there yet but it's getting better. It's more accepted now than it was when I grew up but I'm a grown man now and a grown man who reads fantasy books or plays games where he's an elf? To quote my colleague: Fantasy books are comics without pictures and it's for children.
I apologize for my rant but when I started writing I had to put words to a lot of thoughts that just came out. I just want to talk to people who are interested in the same things as me.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2021 :  07:45:42  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It happens in my country, too, so I can relate. But is getting better here, as well, but at the speed of a limping turtle, lol.

Anyways, welcome. And as Wooly said, we are here on the same boat, so feel free to love the Realms in whatever form you like.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Erikor
Seeker

Norway
60 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2021 :  08:02:00  Show Profile Send Erikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Zeromaru X and thank you Wooly Rupert.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2021 :  13:59:52  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail and well met!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2021 :  19:19:43  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep. I enjoyed all the old CRPGs and have been slowly getting through the back log of novels. What are you reading and/or playing at the moment?

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2021 :  22:33:02  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep. Nice to see a fellow nordmann with a good sense for games.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Neverwinter Nights are definitely the two the games that got me interested in the Forgotten Realms, and of course BG2 and Icewind Dale are great games as well.

And honestly high school is a tough period for a lot of people. Millennials probably have a much easier time of it now than people had in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s, now that D&D is becoming gradually more mainstream. I'm 30 myself and very few folks I knew in my childhood were aware of games like NWN or BG back when I was school, but I feel like the awareness of it is actually growing. I'm always pleasantly surprised to find new colleagues and friends these recent years that actually some experience with D&D, which I think is really cool. Though of course many, like most people in the D&D community I'd say, tend to have a "gamer" mentality rather than a "roleplayer" mentality.

And I'm not sure I have the same feeling that you have about how fantasy is looked upon in Norway. Virtually everyone I know loves the LotR movies, and LotR (books and movies) still remains one of the most powerful images of fantasy literature in popular media. And D&D and Forgotten Realms by extension is obviously very related to it.
Go to Top of Page

Erikor
Seeker

Norway
60 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2021 :  22:55:56  Show Profile Send Erikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Welcome to Candlekeep. I enjoyed all the old CRPGs and have been slowly getting through the back log of novels. What are you reading and/or playing at the moment?

I mostly play old PS4 games now. I don't have a gaming PC anymore.
At the moment I'm reading Circle of Skulls from the Ed Greenwood presents Waterdeep series. I'm about halfway in and it's interesting so far.
Go to Top of Page

Erikor
Seeker

Norway
60 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2021 :  00:05:52  Show Profile Send Erikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

Welcome to Candlekeep. Nice to see a fellow nordmann with a good sense for games.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Neverwinter Nights are definitely the two the games that got me interested in the Forgotten Realms, and of course BG2 and Icewind Dale are great games as well.

And honestly high school is a tough period for a lot of people. Millennials probably have a much easier time of it now than people had in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s, now that D&D is becoming gradually more mainstream. I'm 30 myself and very few folks I knew in my childhood were aware of games like NWN or BG back when I was school, but I feel like the awareness of it is actually growing. I'm always pleasantly surprised to find new colleagues and friends these recent years that actually some experience with D&D, which I think is really cool. Though of course many, like most people in the D&D community I'd say, tend to have a "gamer" mentality rather than a "roleplayer" mentality.

And I'm not sure I have the same feeling that you have about how fantasy is looked upon in Norway. Virtually everyone I know loves the LotR movies, and LotR (books and movies) still remains one of the most powerful images of fantasy literature in popular media. And D&D and Forgotten Realms by extension is obviously very related to it.

Hello fellow nordmann. Things are a lot different now than it was 20 years ago and thank the gods for that. The thing is that all the bullying I experienced growing up still haunts me to this day. I mean, one time a was forced to explain how armor class worked in front of a group of kids and everyone pointed and laughed at me. The LotR movies, GoT and others has done wonders, but the bad memories still stick with me to this day.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2021 :  03:09:58  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oof, I'm sorry you were bullied so badly. It happens here in the US, too, but "nerd culture" is getting more accepted (though granted I don't know how it is in schools now). Welcome to the Realms!

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000