Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Upcoming changes to drow
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  20:40:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

It was mages who performed the ritual (though they were aided by the Seldarine), and it was meant to target only the corrupted dark elves, but the spell went awry, and it ended up affecting all the dark elves.

"In the face of this savage assault, the remaining elven kingdoms gathered in a great conclave and made a decision that would haunt elvenkind forever--the Ilythiiri, or "dhaerow", would be cast out of Corellon's favor and divorced for all time from their brethren. The most powerful high mages and clerics of the Seldarine joined together to perform a ritual that altered the Ilythiiri's bodies to match the corruption of their souls.

Although the conclave had intended to punish only the Ilythiiri, the ritual altered all the dark elves of Faerun except those who had already altered their own forms. The corrupted dark elves were then driven underground by the combined might of the united elven nations. This event, known as the Descent, mirrored the fall of Lolth and her offspring from the Seldarine and thus helped to seal the new elf subrace's loyalty to the Spider Queen. The word dhaerow--which once meant traitor--was likewise corrupted to "drow", which became the name of the corrupted dark elves.

Why all the dark elves, and not just the Ilythiiri, were transformed into drow remains one of the enduring mysteries of the Descent. Some of the more humble elven theologians believe it was an unintended consequence of the sort that always seems to occur when the Fair Folk overreach themselves in the application of high magic. In their eyes, the disastrous sundering of Evermeet, the Dark Disaster, and the destruction of Jhaamdath fall into that same category."

Lost Empires of Faerun, pg 55-6.

Yep, I'm going back to what I said two weeks ago

They did not even realize that they used some gem that was REALLY a abyss-tainted piece of chardalyn instead of a piece of polished piece of onyx.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  21:39:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The unintentional bias or intentional bias of some i've bandied about as a way to corrupt the Moonblade creation myth in the past. If every caster gets to make their own contribution, it must be easy to sneak in something innocuous that the main caster might not notice because he is concentrating too much on the whole.

We know the ritual would have excluded everyone from the Vyshaan Empire, because they were at fault, but it probably included a lot of High Mages from other lands that suffered greatly under the Illythiiri. If any one of them were from Shantel Othreier, or Syorpiir, or Eiellur, etc, then they could have added a little tweak to make the dark elves dislike sunlight, die younger, be slightly weaker, etc.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2021 :  00:42:38  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

My eyesight got better thanks to the cures, luckily, so that shouldn't too much fo a problem. But yeah, I do have a document with all that stuff. I got tired of answering to it a long time ago, so when that comes up I mostly paste text.

As for the project, my creative energies are all taken by a large personal project, but feedback I can do, if you're willing.

Of course.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2021 :  04:18:48  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Azar

We don't disagree that good people are capable of making mistakes; the consistency and severity of mistakes made before that moral descriptor begins to look suspect is what's up for discussion. Problematically, elves live in a frame of reference way beyond anything we are familiar with. If a human commits a grievously offensive act, well...barring magical intervention, they're going to be dead in roughly seventy to eighty years and the next generation has to pick up the slack of reparations. If an elf commits a grievously offensive act, they could conceivably persist for close to seven centuries. Now, elves aren't the longest lived race in the Realms, but most of their neighbors are short-lived by comparison; the sylvan folk arguably have a greater responsibility to the innumerable generations of humans that will pass before their eyes.

I fail to see the point, here.

There were almost 8000 years between the Sundering and the Descent. The Killing Wave, another slaughter on the part of the elves, was almost 10000 years after that.

We are talking literally multiple millennia between these events. Even with the lifespan you quote, that's still more than eleven generations of separation. It's actually a lot more than eleven, since generations are not measured by the maximum old age. If you assumed an elven generation to be 250 years, then we're talking at least 30 generations.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not going to condemn an entire race for something that's happened a handful of times, DOZENS of generations apart. Especially since each of these things was done by a relatively small number of elves, each time.

Yes, there are things done by elves that cannot be forgiven. But if you want to trash all elves for the acts of a few, millennia ago and millennia apart, then you need to apply the same judgement to every single sentient race in the Realms.

From Bartok, in the movie Anastasia: "Oh sure, blame the bat. What the heck? We're easy targets."

Are we talking about the present day elves as a whole or the entirety of elven history? If part of what drives the elves to commit acts of good (no matter how subtly intricate) is atoning for acts of evil that were committed in their dim and distant past, well, then...there shouldn't be an issue. My concern was portraying the "latest" generation of elves as propagating the same sort of mistakes with a regularity that ends up casting them in a highly unfavorable light.

Anyhow, I believe that our thought processes are following the same track, but they are merely at different points. No real argument was intended .

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  07:51:03  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So weirdly enough, the new Dark Alliance game is out, and is a featured product on the page that gives all this info on the new drow... and there's nothing about them in it. So whatever they've been made for, it had nothing to do with this videogame.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  23:12:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

So weirdly enough, the new Dark Alliance game is out, and is a featured product on the page that gives all this info on the new drow... and there's nothing about them in it. So whatever they've been made for, it had nothing to do with this videogame.

Just wondering, how are you sure that it doesn't? Played through it already? Heard it from the creators? Not doubting you, just wondering how you know.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2021 :  02:04:24  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Just wondering, how are you sure that it doesn't? Played through it already? Heard it from the creators? Not doubting you, just wondering how you know.

Watched a full playthrough, cutscenes and all.

It wasn’t a very good game, either.

Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2021 :  02:28:51  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dark Alliance didn't strike me as a lore-heavy game anyway, more of a modern-day Shadow Over Mystara.

But also, I imagine this lore was cooked up pretty recently, and probably well after Dark Alliance had been written and designed.
Go to Top of Page

Elven Avenger
Acolyte

Brazil
27 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2021 :  14:49:43  Show Profile Send Elven Avenger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe it is not a good game if you consider only the single player + story aspect of it. But I had a lot of fun playing with my closest friends running co-op with 4 players.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2021 :  15:44:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Watched a full playthrough, cutscenes and all.

It wasn’t a very good game, either.

Ok, but maybe they were offered some choice somewhere that they didn't take that would have opened to another area? Just a thought. Hidden easter egg type thing, maybe?

I do think he plans on doing something with the "snow drow"... aevendrow I think it was called... in his next book, just based on the name of starlight enclave. Could very much be wrong, and I am so behind in reading his novels... I really should get whatever I'm missing before they become unfindable.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wayne1017
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2021 :  09:03:37  Show Profile Send Wayne1017 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When the D&D won't feature Eilistraee or her followers, apparently the MtG team has to step up. Trelasarra card from the upcoming MtG FR crossover set: https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1409781507481296896
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2021 :  10:54:09  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Trelasarra_Zuind Trelasarra a priestess of Eilistraee just got an MtG card so it appears Eillistraee is not forgotten by WotC after all.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2021 :  14:43:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find it frustrating that they always find ways to avoid mentioning Eilistraee, though. Moon Dancer gives it away to those who know about Eilistraee, but those who don't/a lot of new people won't recognize her. Trelasarra also looks like a moon elf more than a drow here. This is kinda like an easter egg/throwing a bone, but don't get me wrong, really happy to see that Trelasarra was recognized by WotC. She's a priestess that Ed introduced for the newly retaken Promenade, and hadn't been mentioned by WotC anywhere before this.

EDIT: Looks like the leaked English version didn't have the flavor text yet (I thought that some cards didn't get any, not familiar with MtG), but someone translated it from the Chinese version.

It says:

quote:

Eilistraee has taught us not to be bound by our blood.

Pursue with courage, we will all find beauty and light.

Glad to see an explicit confirmation that Eilistraee isn't forgotten.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 29 Jun 2021 15:55:51
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2021 :  16:56:53  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is great. Has she not appeared anywhere else in an official WOTC product? She's been mentioned in Ed's Twitter before-I know that....but I'm curious if she has shown up in any official products before this card?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2021 :  17:14:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, first time, which makes me think WotC decided to acknowledge her. Looking forward to be proven wrong in my initial assumptions in this thread.

Edited by - Irennan on 29 Jun 2021 17:14:24
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2021 :  17:25:12  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, first time, which makes me think WotC decided to acknowledge her. Looking forward to be proven wrong in my initial assumptions in this thread.

I wouldn't have thought that there was anyone at WoTC that followed Ed's twitter for stuff to add to their official products. They should do it more often!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2021 :  20:00:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got an idea today while shaving, regarding the Lorendrow (the jungle ones). Figured here is as good a place as any to post a general concept. Forgive if I have a little bit of a lead in.

One thing I've wanted to introduce with the return from Abeir has been the concept that certain places in Faerun went to Abeir, and there were some gods that went with them to protect the people. A big thing in my view was that huge hole in the eastern Shaar that "collapsed". My take was "it didn't collapse... it went to Abeir and came back".

So, I wanted to have some Crintri princesses who had left Dambrath (each with a retinue of a few hundred servants, guards, and animal handlers) for the Shaar for a competition to prove who was more "fit", and it entirely involved "who can get their people to gather the largest herd of wild horses and bring them back to Dambrath". Spellplague happens. They transfer to Abeir. They can't go back to their homeland, and what was where their homeland is is something mean.

They end up in the Cliffside City of Peleverai... an old abandoned city, much destroyed by dragonfire on the outskirts, but the caves could be fixed up. Eventually, mulan/turami/other refugees fleeing Unther/Chessenta/Chondath end up coming there as well.

A very loose society forms between far flung Thayan refugees mostly for the purpose of trade, with some being down in Katashaka/Lopango, etc....

So, I'd been thinking for a while that Zakhara has a "dead" goddess named Kiga the Predator who presents as a jaguar goddess of hunting and death as a part of life, and that this goddess might still be around in Katashaka. I got the idea that some Crintri .... who no longer hear Loviatar... might find this goddess appealing. So, I was thinking that Kiga the Predator might be a goddess of some cat folk that gets brought to the Shaar. Thus, with the return, Crintri worshippers of a black cat goddess of hunting named Kiga might find male human worshippers of a black cat god of hunting lording it over their homeland and be pissed.

So, it hit me.... what if these Crintri didn't learn about Kiga from some cat folk (i.e. leonin / tabaxi / wemics)..... what if there are some Lorendrow that are encountered and THEY worship Kiga the Predator? The Crintri were so focused on gaining more drow blood in their bloodlines, the two societies might do well together.

To add further to this, what if these Lorendrow worshipping Kiga hear of Drizzt and his "enslavement" of this "great cat spirit" named Gwenhyvar (sp?) and they misinterpret things. What if they believe that Drizzt's animal companion is some kind of aspect of their goddess and the need to "free her".

Anyway, might be a little cheesy, but it popped in my head and I figured I'd throw it out.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2021 :  20:02:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TKU

quote:

I wouldn't have thought that there was anyone at WoTC that followed Ed's twitter for stuff to add to their official products. They should do it more often!

Or it could have been that they asked him to give them some lore, and he did, and then later mentioned the character on Twitter.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2021 :  20:04:58  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TKU

quote:

Or it could have been that they asked him to give them some lore, and he did, and then later mentioned the character on Twitter.

In that case, Trelasarra would have been NDA. Ed introduced her in early 2020.

Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2021 :  07:15:55  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TKU

This is great. Has she not appeared anywhere else in an official WOTC product? She's been mentioned in Ed's Twitter before-I know that....but I'm curious if she has shown up in any official products before this card?

Not since 3.5, I think.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2021 :  07:56:42  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're referring to Eilistraee herself, she does indeed appear in a few 5e products (a couple small writeups). Trelasarra hadn't been created yet in 3.5e, though.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2021 :  11:41:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I think it more likely he created the info for them and for whatever reason, it wasn't NDA. Otherwise, whoever decided to include that card was just using something they found on the internet -- a scenario that the company's lawyers would frown on.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2021 :  13:46:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't understand why folks don't think Eilistraee isn't getting representation in 5e? She's in the SCAG just as much as the other gods, and she's even listed outside of FR in MToF. There were references somewhere to their worshippers reoccupying the promenade. Or is the quality of the representation that is the focus?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2021 :  14:26:25  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's both the quality (MToF paints her as a deity that nearly nobody knows--even among drow or elves--and that is ever hopeless to achieve anything that is even barely meaningful), and intentionally forgoing to mention her in places where her inclusion would have been just natural, or expected (though Vhaeraun has it even worse).

This drow rework is one such things, but--using your example--we know that Ed introduced followers of Eilistraee trying to retake the Promenade and making allies with the Harpers of Waterdeep. Not only WotC cut a lot of this lore that Ed intended to include in Death Masks, leaving only a few scattered mentions, but when they talk about the drow in Waterdeep, they don't even drop a passing mention of a rather big event like Eilistraeans getting a temple in the North Ward (which we only get to know through Ed's tweets/Candlekeep, not official material, if we exclude the mentions in Death Masks, since they tell us next to nothing).

The Promenade has also been entirely removed from Dungeon of the Mad Mage, where it should have totally been included (in the Skullport section). Especially given that the followers of Eilistraee were retaking it, which would have created possible plot hooks in the book. Not only WotC removed the Promenade, but on the part of the map where the Promenade should have been, they instead put some Lolthite followers fighting a clan of bullywug (or whatever else) for the place. When they talk about its history, they don't even mention the Promenade or the other temples that used to be there before; they say that it used to be a temple to Dumathoin and nothing else. Basically, they retconned the Promenade out of existence entirely, while Ed was preparing it for being rebuilt (and they compensated that with a random small, abandoned shrine on the 10th level, that is even in a temple alongside shrines to the other Dark Seldarine, which makes 0 sense). This is one of the reasons why I was very surprised to see Trelasarra acknowledged, though I won't hold my breath for her being the informal leader of the Promenade like Ed designed her, because I don't think they've already shown that they don't want the Promenade around.

Edited by - Irennan on 30 Jun 2021 14:29:07
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2021 :  14:38:15  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I think it more likely he created the info for them and for whatever reason, it wasn't NDA. Otherwise, whoever decided to include that card was just using something they found on the internet -- a scenario that the company's lawyers would frown on.

Maybe Ed created her for Death Masks. He said that WotC cut a lot of the lore about Eilistaree that he intended to include in that novel.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2021 :  23:15:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing just popped in my head regarding these Aevendrow, and it might be worth reviewing with fellow sages.... because I can't QUITE recall my elven history. The Tree of Souls was taken from Evermeet because the elves would find some kind of healing in a snowy filled place or somesuch? They went somewhere cold and then had to go to Myth Drannor and planted the tree?

1371 DR - Prince Lamruil of Evermeet, his human consort Maura Silverhand (daughter of Laeral Silverhand), and their followers travel to the far northern reaches of Faerûn to establish a hidden city called Auseriel. They bring the Tree of Souls [–17600, 1373] with them, given to them by the prince’s mother, Queen Amlaruil of Evermeet, intending to plant it at the heart of a new refuge for the Fair Folk once the city begins to flourish.

1373 DR - Mirtul 2: Auseriel comes under concerted attack by a family of white dragons led by the great wyrm Harashnalthyn. At Maura’s insistence, Prince Lamruil returns the Tree of Souls [1371] to Evermeet [1371, 1374], while the princess and their remaining followers provide a valiant rearguard defense.

Mirtul 4: Prince Lamruil returns to Auseriel in the company of an elite band of elf knights. They find the hidden city abandoned and the corpses of a dozen white wyrms, but no trace of Princess Maura or her rearguard. The prince vows to rebuild the settlement, while continuing to search for a trace
of his vanished wife.

1377 DR Year of the Haunting
The Srinshee returns to Myth Drannor and offers Ilsevele Miritar the Rulers’ Blade in recognition of her wise and resolute leadership in the realm’s refounding. Ilsevele humbly accepts the Rulers’ Blade and takes the title of coronal. Queen Amlaruil arrives to congratulate the new coronal and brings with her the Tree of Souls as a gift to the new realm. The artifact is planted in a ring-shaped colonnade at the heart of the city known as Seldarrshen Nieryll, the Starsoul Shrine.

1380 DR
The High Mage Araevin Teshurr completes the restoration of Myth Drannor’s mythal and, after visits to Waterdeep, Aglarond, and Sildëyuir, sets out for the hidden realm of Auseriel. There he meets and befriends Prince Lamruil. The two elves leave Auseriel in the care of Lamruil’s seneschal and depart in search of the missing Princess Maura, set on the trail by the mysterious prophecy revealed by Araevin’s magic.

So, any chance this "healing" of the elven people might be involved with the aevendrow?

Noting as well that Araevin Teshurr was noted for doing some kind of bonding ceremony of high magic that bonded his soul with that of an eladrin.

Then there's this sentence from Starlight Enclave

Two different roads. On one, Jarlaxle and Zaknefein are on a quest to find pieces that could offer salvation to Menzoberranzan. On the other, Drizzt seeks answers that could offer salvation to not just his soul, but all souls.

High Magic ritual that uses the tree of souls as a part of it that relinks elven souls with the feywild or somesuch? Maybe renews magic itself or somesuch.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 01 Jul 2021 23:38:51
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2021 :  08:25:17  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure why the Aevendrow would be connected to that, though. I mean, yes, you could come up with some explanation and whatever, but it's not an immediate connection. It's just 2 elements that happen to be both located in similar areas.

Also, it's RAS, he won't use that plot hook (assuming that he even knows about it). If I had to guess, I'd say that the "saving" of souls probably has something to do with undoing/toying with the idea of Christian guilt and of the pseudo-Christian God that he forced into FR with the last book, and that he used for Entreri's torture redemption.

Edited by - Irennan on 02 Jul 2021 08:26:53
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2021 :  13:07:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not sure why the Aevendrow would be connected to that, though. I mean, yes, you could come up with some explanation and whatever, but it's not an immediate connection. It's just 2 elements that happen to be both located in similar areas.

You're right, probably won't happen, but just to show the connection/thought that was in my brain. These aevendrow might represent a rejoining of the elven people that occurred after the tree of souls was made, but before the descent was cast, so using the tree of souls as a center, maybe they all "relink" to it as a basis. They then find out that the casting of the descent "did" something to the high mages who performed the ritual as well, maybe weakening their ties to the feywild or somesuch. Elves end up becoming more "fey" again, and maybe some of them whose souls had somehow been entrapped somewhere return to life, prompting a return to old homes.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2021 :  15:18:55  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that line has anything to do with the tree of souls (and iirc, the souls were willing). My first thought when I read that synopsis was that it had something to do with the Wall, since the errata from the SCAG happened around the same time. But I am not sure if RAS would actually touch that, either (though he probably wouldn't pass up a chance to make deities look bad).

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2021 :  23:46:36  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You're right, probably won't happen, but just to show the connection/thought that was in my brain. These aevendrow might represent a rejoining of the elven people that occurred after the tree of souls was made, but before the descent was cast, so using the tree of souls as a center, maybe they all "relink" to it as a basis. They then find out that the casting of the descent "did" something to the high mages who performed the ritual as well, maybe weakening their ties to the feywild or somesuch. Elves end up becoming more "fey" again, and maybe some of them whose souls had somehow been entrapped somewhere return to life, prompting a return to old homes.

They're retconning the Descent, tho. The drow were never exiled in this version, Lolth just went to a bunch of them and said "yo, wanna go live underground? We have cookies", and they accepted. Meanwhile, the majority of drow founded those two other cities. I guess Miyeritar still gets nuked in this version (assuming it hasn't been retconned), but the question is: what the hell happened to Ilythiir, that the majority of its population had to run away and found 2 new cities? That's probably a non-issue, though, since Ilythiir was likely retconned too except in name (I guess they're going to call the drow who followed Lolth "Ilythiiri", and have the other civilizations originate from unknown nations, or exist in their current incarnation from the get go, rather than being founded after some drow followed Lolth). Another question is: why did those two drow civilizations remain hidden, if they make up the majority of the drow?

Idk, they could have played on the history of Ilythiir and Miyeritar to explain the existence of these 2 cities, but I'm wondering if the dudes in charge of this are even aware that the FR drow have always had multiple civilizations, with a long ass-history.

Edited by - Irennan on 04 Jul 2021 23:55:58
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000