Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Who survived the Fall of Myth Drannor?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  00:46:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, I don't know if this question has been asked before... Is there anywhere a list of which families survived the Fall of Myth Drannor?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  01:26:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Okay, I don't know if this question has been asked before... Is there anywhere a list of which families survived the Fall of Myth Drannor?

I don't recall any product/novel giving an exact list on which families survived the Fall. I do know the Nierdre clan had only two house members escape following a handful of other survivors to Evermeet. That information comes from page 40 of Elves of Evermeet.

I suppose one could simply do an examination of the houses listed in the Evermeet product and compare it to the roster of Clans of the Cormanthyr to get some idea of clans that survived. However, I don't see that as being necessarily full proof that a clan perished. Perhaps surviving members simply choose to go elsewhere....Evereska?

A current update on the various elven clans is something I'd love to see in an FR product. I doubt I'll be so fortunate.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  01:30:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well you could compare the houses, etc, that is in Cormanthyr with the info that is in Elves of Evermeet. Sure it probably isn't a complete list, but it's a place to start..... Sirius echoed my thoughts at the same time. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 19 Apr 2004 03:24:14
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  03:12:16  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall that one of the Starym escaped by way of his tainted moonblade. It's in the Fall of Myth Drannor PDF. Not sure about his name, though...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  03:34:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
Sirius echoed my thoughts at the same time. :)

Great minds...
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  03:42:18  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I looked up the name. It was Velani Starym, who teleported out of Myth Drannor.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  03:46:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Sirius echoed my thoughts at the same time. :)

Great minds...

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  04:47:47  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides House Starym and the Nierdre clan, are there any other families?. Perhaps, some of the Realms-scribes have some thoughts on this.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  04:53:07  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowlord, there was another Starym who escaped. His name was Ilbryn Starym, who appeared in The Temptations of Elminster. He wanted revenge on Elminster but he dies at the end of the book when there was a magical explosion.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  05:08:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

Besides House Starym and the Nierdre clan, are there any other families?. Perhaps, some of the Realms-scribes have some thoughts on this.

Well giving it a quick look through Elves of Evermeet and Cormanthyr it looks like these are the houses that survived and went to Evermeet. Silverspear, Durothil, Symbaern, Nierdre, Nightstar, Hawksong, Raedrimm (I'm not sure if this is the same house as house Raerdrimme that is listed in Elves of Evermeet).

Edited by - Kuje on 19 Apr 2004 05:10:49
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  05:28:48  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And of course, when it comes to individual survivors of certain families...Zaor Moonflower immediately comes to mind as a pretty important one considering all that he went on to contribute to Evermeet society...as a gardener of course.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  05:36:59  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And also died as a gardener... of course.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  06:04:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And of course, when it comes to individual survivors of certain families...Zaor Moonflower immediately comes to mind as a pretty important one considering all that he went on to contribute to Evermeet society...as a gardener of course.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  08:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Zaor was killed in the novel Elfshadow was he not, in his hedge-maze garden?.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  08:50:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:

Zaor was killed in the novel Elfshadow was he not, in his hedge-maze garden?.

Yup, but he was gardening, which was why Sirius said what he said. :)

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  21:59:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yup, but he was gardening, which was why Sirius said what he said. :)

Classic case in Zaor's death of why you should subcontract out any farm/gardening job to day laborers.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  22:01:04  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... I have a question about Zoar's death. Since he was the King and ruler of Evermeet, why the hell didn't he have ANY magical protection on him. Didn't he even have a ring of protection? Also, where the hell are the bodyguards for such an important ruler?!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  22:21:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Hmm... I have a question about Zoar's death. Since he was the King and ruler of Evermeet, why the hell didn't he have ANY magical protection on him. Didn't he even have a ring of protection? Also, where the hell are the bodyguards for such an important ruler?!

Probably because he figured he was safe on Evermeet. Who really expected an elf to try to assassinate the king...... But that's my guess and if I recall right there was guards but they were guarding the entrances.....

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2004 :  06:23:28  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Probably because he figured he was safe on Evermeet. Who really expected an elf to try to assassinate the king...... But that's my guess and if I recall right there was guards but they were guarding the entrances.....

It's certainly very much the possibility. In the relative safety of the gardens would probably be the last place the King, and his royal guard would expect an attack. Although, there have been similar examples of such assassinations in other novels . . .

And, besides the King's Guard, we must also remember the presence of the uniquely designed gardens of bellflowers, which are specially cultivated to act as a natural alarm system.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2004 :  06:35:05  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's also not forget the studly N'Tel'Quess who was deadly with a bow and nearby. Not People my...
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2004 :  07:53:56  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course you're Not People! No other race compares to the fey folk, or even the drow!

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2004 :  20:23:32  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if he didn't have bodyguards, at least wear some protection, for god's sake! If I was a ruler of a country or a kingdom on Faerun, I would amass myself the most powerful magic and weapons I could afford.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2004 :  22:18:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, if he didn't have bodyguards, at least wear some protection, for god's sake! If I was a ruler of a country or a kingdom on Faerun, I would amass myself the most powerful magic and weapons I could afford.

And you'd wear them as you relaxed in your backyard, knowing that the nearest enemy was hundreds of miles away?

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  02:48:05  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not? He is the ruler of the last elven stronghold. I don't expect Zoar to be wearing full-plate armour and armed to the teeth, but I expect him to have like a dagger on him and some magical protection.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  04:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why not? He is the ruler of the last elven stronghold. I don't expect Zoar to be wearing full-plate armour and armed to the teeth, but I expect him to have like a dagger on him and some magical protection.

Didn't Zaor die pre-Retreat? Also, remember how old he was. Old minds make mistakes...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  06:09:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who says he didn't? Just because he was dressed as a gardener and took a dagger to the chest doesn't mean he didn't have on magical protection. It just wasn't enough to deal with a well-aimed dagger thrown by a skilled assassin.

And it wouldn't have mattered if he was armed or not -- he was in the center of his kingdom, and had no reason to fear this strange elf that wandered into the garden. Zaor was trying to say "Hi!" to Fenian Ni'Tessine -- he didn't know Fenny wasn't feeling particularly social right then.

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Didn't Zaor die pre-Retreat? Also, remember how old he was. Old minds make mistakes...

According to Elfshadow, he died on 2 Ches, 1321 (The Year of Chains). The Retreat began in 1344, The Year of Moonfall.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  08:40:23  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It just wasn't enough to deal with a well-aimed dagger thrown by a skilled assassin.

Was Zaor killed by a knife? I swear, I thought Fenian Ni'Tessine shot him with an arrow, or maybe it Amnestria's lover, Bran Skorlsun, who had the bow... Ah, I jsut can't remember, which is odd for me.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  08:54:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

quote:

It just wasn't enough to deal with a well-aimed dagger thrown by a skilled assassin.

Was Zaor killed by a knife? I swear, I thought Fenian Ni'Tessine shot him with an arrow, or maybe it Amnestria's lover, Bran Skorlsun, who had the bow... Ah, I jsut can't remember, which is odd for me.

Elfshadow spoiler!(sorta -- this covers like the first 10 pages)

Fenian slipped thru the elfgate, not knowing where it lead. He found himself in Evermeet, and followed after Amnestria and Bran Skorlsun. The trail lead to a garden. Near the center of the garden, Fenian saw an elderly gardener trimming bushes. The garden began to greet him, but Fenny was feeling anti-social, so he tossed a dagger into his chest. When the gardener hit the ground, his cap came off, and Fenny saw the hair color and realized he'd just killed King Zaor Moonflower.

This cheered up the unfriendly elf a whole bunch, but then he heard a scream, looked up, saw Amnestria and Bran standing there. Bran popped an arrow into him, and Fenny ran like Hades out of there.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  10:31:56  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh . . . why did you stop there Wooly?. It's not like things were about to get any better for poor old "Fenny" anyway . . . . Who ever thought a pesky arrow shaft could be so deadly .

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  18:41:28  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kazandra, you have to remember who Bran Skorlsun is. He's a master Harper and a very powerful ranger. I wouldn't be surprised that his archery skills are so good. There was a battle in Elfshadow where Skorlsun shows up and kills a barbarian with a quarterstaff in like two hits.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  19:18:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kazandra, you have to remember who Bran Skorlsun is. He's a master Harper and a very powerful ranger. I wouldn't be surprised that his archery skills are so good. There was a battle in Elfshadow where Skorlsun shows up and kills a barbarian with a quarterstaff in like two hits.

Yeah, but the initial shot wasn't what killed Fenny. What killed him is when his buddy was trying to remove the arrow, found out that Mr. Unsocialable had been seen, and so decided to destroy the evidence -- by stabbing Fenny in the heart with the arrow, then repositioning it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000